Home

Mass Effect

HerbieZ

Yes. Mass Effect is the latest product from those people at Bioware. The game looks extremely impressive and even though i do not own a 360, i am looking forward to it! The main website located here has all the info you need including screenshots and a few previews from various magazines. Bearing in mind, about two Bioware games back, they released Kotor 1 hopefully the world will work in our favour and in two Bioware games time they will announce Kotor 3. We wish.

Still it looks worthy and even if you are not an X-Box 360 owner like myself, i am interested in hearing your opinions and especially on what features described in the game you may wish to be carried into Kotor 3.

Comments and Questions about the game and me, welcome. :smash:

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got an XBox 360 just waiting for Mass Effect! :D

I've been following the progress of ME for a while now and it -- and Oblivion for the 360 -- are the main reasons we spent the money on a 360 instead of waiting for a significant price drop first. I didn't want ME to come out and me be without a 360! :lol:

Needless to say, but I am eagerly awaiting the release date! :animelol:

Yes. Mass Effect is the latest product from those people at Bioware.
Hmm... I guess this statement means BioWare's PC adaptation of their Xbox game called Jade Empire: Special Edition doesn't register on your radar screen. :dozey:

I've been following the progress of ME for a while now and it -- and Oblivion for the 360 -- are the main reasons we spent the money on a 360 instead of waiting for a significant price drop first.
I can't bring myself to do it, even for a lust-worthy game like Mass Effect. I'll just wait a year or so after the game comes out in hopes that BioWare pulls a Jade Empire on Mass Effect and releases a PC version. If much more than a year goes by and no PC version is announced then I'll either buy an Xbox 360 for $200 or less or go without. I'm holding out hope for a PC version of course. :)

I've got an XBox 360 just waiting for Mass Effect! :D

I've been following the progress of ME for a while now and it -- and Oblivion for the 360 -- are the main reasons we spent the money on a 360 instead of waiting for a significant price drop first. I didn't want ME to come out and me be without a 360! :lol:

Needless to say, but I am eagerly awaiting the release date! :animelol:

I’ve done the exact same thing. I went as far as purchasing a HDTV last weekend. I bought Oblivion to tide me over till Mass Effect comes out. Now I’m considering getting the internet for the house, just for Xbox live (I’m on the computer and phone all day at work, so I don’t like the idea of either at home) in order to download the added content. Now if I can just get a little sleep before Mass Effect comes out. I just hope it is as additive as Oblivion.

I can't bring myself to do it, even for a lust-worthy game like Mass Effect. I'll just wait a year or so after the game comes out in hopes that BioWare pulls a Jade Empire on Mass Effect and releases a PC version. If much more than a year goes by and no PC version is announced then I'll either buy an Xbox 360 for $200 or less or go without. I'm holding out hope for a PC version of course. :)

Same here. Either they release it on the PC or damn Microsoft paid too damn much money so they don't...

Even though I'd love to play it - I will never buy a Xbox 360. I rather spend 1500+ $ on a new PC...

The main character will be fully customisable (although im not sure if there is a female option), you can also choose a variety of team members and not be stuck with the same old ones ala Kotor. So ideally you can assemble a team of kick-ass female Marines.

^^^

The main guy is Human but i know there is at least 1 alien and i think there's a robot of some description on your team.

I've been watching this games development since i got my 360 about a year back. I've also watched the changes in its release date and have gotten happy and sad with the shifts.

I like the many differant ways you'll be able customise your characters and even the Ground vehical you have. I also like the Galactic map option.

Ah very cool, although you would think they would put that in the description!

I know! It is definitely annoying that the main description for Mass Effect is so misleading. Which is really surprising for Bioware since they are so good about making games that everyone can enjoy.

Maybe I should point that out in a post on the Bioware/Mass Effect forums?

Good idea mjpb3 , because I was really turned off when I read you will play such and such a character who is male etc. I would be more likely to plonk down my money first thing if it said you could customise your character and be male or female.

I'm sure others feel the same way. Don't they want us to be excited about a new game???

Im going to try and not be offensive here but it is most likely because a sci-fi fps/rpg is usually not aimed at females. It's the sad truth but surveys and polls usually point to a massive male-teen dominated player base. Therefore they go with the majority. Luckily, this is not the case with Mass Effect, it is just not one of the selling points. Telling your predominantly male fanbase the fact that "Yes, you can play as a Female" will most likely confuse the fanbase and cause a ruckuss in the public forums. If not to delight only a mere 1% (estimate) of the female portion of Mass Effect's official forum whom will undoubtably ask the inevitable question "Is the game aimed at males or females?". Overall, the end result will leave one side of humanity undoubtably unhappy with the result, leaving the developers wondering why they never designed the main character as a genderless or transgendent species.

It would certainly suit the Science-fiction element of the game but alas sadly game developers constantly believe that the player will want to play as a Human and for the most part they are correct. You only have to look at an MMO with multi species character selection and point to human being the large majority of the playerbase. Presumably having already done studies of MMO characters and human preferences to actually being human, the main character in the game the survey was done for will most likely Human. You can apply this argument/case to the Gender discussion.

No offense taken at all, Herbie. None whatsoever. And sadly, all of what you wrote is true.

BUT, Bioware is one of the leading companies to actually pay attention to the small but very present female demographic when making their games, so I would hope that their information page describing Mass Effect will get changed to specify that the main PC can be male or female.

But if not, I will be happy to tell the world. :D

LOL MJ, thanks Herbie... I think we do understand that we are still a minority but I think game companies do not realise the potential in a huge untapped market or women who like to play games just as much as men. Some of us were growing up when video games were new and so baptised as it were in the culture of gaming from very early on , and although we'll play games that are male only PCs it sure is nice to play a female character not just have them as NPCs.

Perhaps game companies play it safe at marketing and creating games for boys/men but if the popularity of games like KOTOR 1&2, Morrowind, NWN and Jade Empire amongst women is anythig to go by one would hope they take a chance on opening their advertising and their character creation to a wider audiance.

In the end they can only make more money.

Don't get me wrong, i love females, i wish there were more in games. Infact there are times i wish i was the only male in a game full of females. Mass Effect has this really cool alien looking one that looks lile a Twi'lek. :)

One thing im not sure about is the release date on this game, first i thought it was this month but another source told me it was next month. Does anyone have a definate release date?

One thing im not sure about is the release date on this game, first i thought it was this month but another source told me it was next month. Does anyone have a definate release date?
Nope, no official release date yet. My guess is the game will come out in May though.

It has been suggested strongly that Mass effect will be in the spring (going Quarterly). TeamXBOX has been doing interviews with bioware, and something I found interesting is that the game is nearly done, and also that the team working on it is mostly Jade Empire and KOTOR veterans. He said to expect a game that takes the best from both games.

All of the screens have the same PC in them, so I was under the influence that you had a pre-determined character. If not, I sure hope that he is a NPC in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
Heh. I sure can't wait for this game to arrive. And, knowing Bioware, it's really difficulty that there won't be any character customisation (appearance), especially since there're a lot of kotOR veterans making it.

you will be able to costomise the face of your character the hair anything of the head of the main character..

you can read it in the last interview on http://www.bioware.com

here the interview link

http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/021507_masseffect_qa_1.x

Shack: Tell us about character customization. What can be changed in terms of aesthetics, character classes and skill proficiencies?

Casey Hudson: In Mass Effect you can develop and customize your character as much or as little as you want, going even beyond the depth of our previous games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. You can adjust every feature of your face and create a unique Commander Shepard -- male or female. You can choose what class of skills (weapons, dark energy, or tech) your character will specialize in, and you'll be able to develop those skills as you progress -- even adding entirely new skills that add new dimensions to combat and character interaction. And throughout the game you'll develop the abilities of your squad as well.

Archived