Home

Mass Effect

HerbieZ

The reviews are already coming out....

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/news.php?i=1517

"...there is a lot of KOTOR familiarity in this game, while still being fresh. KOTOR players will definitely feel right at home though." ... except for the real-time combat.

I have the feeling my brain will not be my own for a very, very long time after next Wednesday....

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played it!

Not on my console, but on friend's home. He won't lend me, though, as he's pretty addicted. (How he got it though... I don't know or care)

I've played the first obligatory "level", on this colony of New Eden. Hehe, the reviewer up there is 100% right. The game loads before the graphics are completely loaded, but the game is all skinned on seconds. The battles still weren't exactly difficult, but I died twice (and I'm a Bioware games vet), just because I went fighting 'Rambo style' instead of using a more cautious approach, hiding behind stones and walls (Believe me, you'll need it).

Just one thing I'm wondering about the game. From all accounts it looks great but a complaint I have about this style of game is how lonely it gets. Take Elder Scrolls for example, you can spend an hour not encountering anything, or very little.

I've just played the first level and a little on the Normandy. And, since I WON'T spoil anything for ANYONE, I can say that I saw enough people. Besides, you won't be walking vast empty spaces, with just terrain and terrain and terrain. Remember, there are several planets, so the game will focus on the gold, the crowded places, the cities, not the spaces between them.

I've just pre-ordered it from Play.com and now all I have to do is eagerly anticipate its arrival.

Something that caught my eye was that it's rated 12+ here in the UK but as a Mature game (which is 17+ isn't it?) over in America. Ever so slightly odd.

I've just played the first level and a little on the Normandy. And, since I WON'T spoil anything for ANYONE, I can say that I saw enough people. Besides, you won't be walking vast empty spaces, with just terrain and terrain and terrain. Remember, there are several planets, so the game will focus on the gold, the crowded places, the cities, not the spaces between them.

Also...unlike Elderscrolls...in M.E. you have a squad...companions. The major appeal of this game to me - as in KotOR and NWN - is the personal interactions you can have with your crew...

Also...unlike Elderscrolls...in M.E. you have a squad...companions. The major appeal of this game to me - as in KotOR and NWN - is the personal interactions you can have with your crew...

A thing I have noticed on my play(Again, not spoiling) was when a party member apologized when my Shepard version was shot. I answered that it was not her fault and she just 'smiled'. Yes, smiled. Not a warning by the end of the cutscene or anything, I just knew I had gotten closer to her. Fantastic.

I pre-ordered and I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday, I can't wait. I think is one of the nominees for best game of the year along with Assassin's Creed, another awesome game.

Assassin's Creed is an awesome game, but it won't get the Game of The Year prize. I would expect Bioshock or Mario Galaxy to earn it now.

I really should get around to getting a 360.
What are you waiting for.

I ordered Mass Effect online and now I'm having to tell myself not to go to the store tomorrow and purchase it because the special edition will be here Wednesday.

Was reading some of the reviews and one states after you finish you can start over with the same PC and the same equipment. How many times did I want to do that in KOTOR or TSL. Still it would tend to make the game a little too easy.

Add on: Not all the reviews are good. Matt Peckham of PC World did not care for Mass Effect calling it

Mass Effect: Xbox 360 Game Doesn't Live Up to its Hype. Beautifully rendered with an above-average plot, Bioware's new sci-fi epic for the Xbox 360 still turns out to be a disappointingly overhyped encore to Microsoft's main holiday act in gaming, Halo 3.[/Quote]

well, i keep hearing on a number of reviews that Mass Effect is rather buggy, and combat takes a strict #2 emphasis in the gameplay. the good news is that the RPG part of ME is the #1 emphasis in the gameplay. ME has an epic story with unsurpassed interactions with other characters in addition to a much more fluid system of renegade vs saint approach to the choices you make instead of a good/evil thing that's been the staple of recent RPG's.

anyways, i can't wait for tommorrow after work. :D

well, i keep hearing on a number of reviews that Mass Effect is rather buggy,

Noticed that aswell, though I can usually deal with the low frame rates or texture pop-ins that seemed to be mentioned all the time it's just the really really long elevator rides that have me worried especially since there seems to be a few delivery/run around side missions within the Citadel itself. Not sure if it's between areas that are connected through elevators but I really hope not.

Heard nothing but compliments for the main story though so can't wait for that.

Archived