Home

Mass Effect

HerbieZ

Can you pre-order it already?

At EB Games/Gamestop here in Edmonton, I can pre-order a game whenever I want really. I could pre-order The Force Unleashed, Mass Effect, Turok, or any game for that matter. As long as it's in the database you can pre-order it. I pre-ordered Super Smash Bros. Brawl back in March, and it's not released till December. So, as far as I am concerned, you can at certain places.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mass Effect looks exciting. Bioware's talent shines again.

Of course, I'd wait until a PC version is released. I have no doubt that such a release would come somewhere down the line, given Bioware's history of such releases.

Ultimately, the later PC version is more modifiable.

Ah, yes. Just heard about release date, just before I clicked into this thread.

Excellent. We now know a confirmed release date for Mass Effect. Thankfully, it comes out two days after my birthday. :D

19 days after mine, but what I'm really happy is Mass Effect comes out right before the lull in the College Football Season. Now I have my December planed, just hope no one was expecting presents this year.:)

Do you think, like previous Bioware franchises that Mass Effect will eventually be adapted to a PC version?

I hope so with every breath of my being :lol:

I would like to think they will, considering this game is going to be phenomenal..

They did for Jade Empire (another awesome game) so I could only hope that Mass Effect will see success on both platforms :)

^ It's not great literature or anything, but well worth getting if you're going to get the game. It has a lot of background info about the Mass Effect universe. It introduces the villain (Saren) and one of the main NPCs of the game, so it will give you some idea of the direction the story will go in, without directly spoiling anything...

• 2 weeks later...

IGN has a nice new walkthrough of one of the planets. Nothing really new but it's nice to watch and it shows us a new planet :).

This radial menu thing looks to be an improvement over BioWare's NWN attempt... which came off as dialling an old-fashioned phone - so "hurrah" for that, eh?

Heard Sbarge in the walkthrough? That guy has a very distinguishable voice. Weird sometimes. It's like all of a sudden Carth's in Mass Effect. Like in that episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender where he's that professor: I recognized him immediately. Anyway, nice video. Together with The Force Unleashed, this could be the game that convinces me to buy an X360, though I'm still hoping both will eventually be released on PC. :)

Heard Sbarge in the walkthrough?

Aye... Gamersyde has a example of that here. It's the first five minutes of the game, though, and while nothing special spoiler-wise you may want to skip the video if you're afraid of ruining the game :).

Speaking of Gamesyde, it has a pretty nice collection of videos for Mass Effect.

wow. just wow. that's all i have to say about this game after checking out the trailers and gameplay vids. i'm now seriously considering the purchase of an Xbox 360 just for this game. from what i've seen, Mass Effect is going to kick some serious backside just with the gameplay. combine that with what is by far some of the best next-gen visuals i've seen thus far, and this is truly going to be an awesome game.

and then, you have the sheer size of the game. from what i can tell, Mass Effect is going to be one of the largest single player RPG's ever. more content is definitely a plus as long as it doesn't get repetitive or derivative.

i just can't believe that i've waited this long to check this game out. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Mass Effect has gone GOLD!

Here's what you'll get for an extra $10:

• A Mass Effect fiction book titled "Galactic Codex: Essentials"
  • A 36-page guide to the Mass Effect universe, including a Citadel timeline and a guide to all non-human races, biotics and the key locations in the Perseus arm of the galaxy
  • An additional Mass Effect art book titled "A Future Imagined"
  • A 36-page collection of BioWare's concept art for the game
  • A bonus DVD of exclusive Mass Effect background material and additional content including:
    "The Vision of Mass Effect" documentary
    "The Making of Mass Effect" documentary
    "Interactive Storytelling" documentary
    "Inside BioWare" documentary
  • 18 Mass Effect themed gamer pics (three unique sets of six)
  • 16 dashboard themes (four unique sets of four)
  • Ten songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack
  • Five historical Mass Effect trailers from X05 through E3 2007 and the official TV trailer
  • A demo for Blue Dragon and videos for Lost Odyssey, Halo 3 and Halo Wars
  • Design galleries featuring 600 concept images fully commented by the Art Directors

As well as those in the U.S (from what I hear will get this), can get a bonus disc if they pre-order it.

* A short documentary on DVD introducing the game

* 12 Mass Effect themed gamer pics (two unique sets of six)

* Eight dashboard themes (two unique sets of four)

* Three songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack on a CD

* Four historical Mass Effect trailers from X05 through E3 2007 on DVD

* A demo for "Blue Dragon" and videos for "Lost Odyssey," "Halo 3" and "Halo Wars"

I'm probably gonna pre-order it after class tomorrow. And I'll probably get the Limited Edition as well. Too bad, the extras I listed are U.S-exclusive (read above). Though, I'd wonder why since BioWare is IN Edmonton, in which, is where I live.

Still, I'm excited for this game.

Though, I'd wonder why since BioWare is IN Edmonton, in which, is where I live.

I'd imagine it has something to do with Microsoft being the publisher, they're a US company after all.

You being so close and all, you could just sneak in a steal a copy :xp:.

well, if that wasn't enough news on Mass Effect for ya, Game Informer is the first to publish a review of the game. its not on their website just yet, but if you're a subscriber to the magazine, the review is right next to the Halo 3 review.

they gave it a 9.75 out of 10 which is the same score that they gave Halo 3. they said that this game is an example of some of the best storytelling in any video game ever. then, there are the little things like the dialog that they nailed on the head as its one of the first games since Half Life 2 to really take advantage of excellent facial animations to convey emotions. combine that with the top notch voice acting, and you have a great recipe for some excellent dialog moments. their complaints was that the AI seemed to be a bit buggy, and combat ranged from being very easy to very hard at some points.

anyways, i'd post a scan of the page, but since i don't have a working scanner, that's a bit difficult at this point. still, its nice to see a review in even if it feels just slightly premature. :)

Archived