Home

Possible Life Lessons In The Dig?

SCUMM-Nerd

Being a fan of Full Throttle, I had found out that Lucasarts did this game and I had read it was a good story and that there was a novelization availible, and since I figured a good story would be expressed better in a book than in a game, I decided to read the novel before playing the game. I recently played through the game and I didn't find it as good as the novel. The novel offered you a chance to picture everything the way you wanted to and it had parts that I think should have been in the game and I thought it brought you into the storyline better than the game did.

Anyway, I didn't post this thread to tell you what I thought of the game and the novel, I posted it to see something. I wanted to see if anyone found a lesson in the story. Everyone on Cocytus immediately wanted to go into Space Time Six so they would no longer have to face death and so they could go into a state where they fealt great, but as it turned out immortality turned out to be a living hell. They wanted to go back into the real world after a long time of just observing.

I found a life lesson in their situation. I learned that you should not fear death and you should try to make the best of life while you can and to be happy with what you have.

• 1 month later...
Everyone on Cocytus immediately wanted to go into Space Time Six so they would no longer have to face death and so they could go into a state where they fealt great, but as it turned out immortality turned out to be a living hell.

I haven't read the novel, but I believe it'll be just as you are saying: It has much more details and plot elements than those the game has, and expands on the characters as well.

It was interesting to see what lead to the 'destruction' of the Cocytan race: The desire for inmortality. The Creator had this in mind, but seeking to benefit his race at the end. He didn't realize the consecuences of this until it was too late. Initially, nobody cared if they had to live a life of 'self-slavery', they only wanted to escape death. And then again, they changed their minds a bit too late... As a matter of fact, Brink himself admited that life through the crystals wasn't worth it. He only wanted more and more of them, no matter the cost.

This shows us that it's better to have a short but 'rich' life, than an infinte but pointless one. Going out with friends, getting in love with someone, practicing sports, getting a job I like... I wouldn't trade any of that for being something close to 'inmortal'.

• 1 month later...

I think that to see this kind of observation as a lesson, reduces it to the kind of moral lessons the Grimm Brothers included in some of their tales.

Another "lesson" could be...DRUGS ARE BAD, DON'T DRUG YOURSELF OR YOU'LL END UP LIKE CRAZY BRINK RUNNING AROUND WITHOUT HAND. A bit dull if you see it that way isn't it? It's far more interesting looking at their behaviors. Life is by nature, a survivor, so it's no surprise that a discovery to avoid death would be so atractive.

For me those kind of observations are more appealing, and show you a wider picture of things. Life isn't black or white (right or wrong), so even after you think you've learned a lesson... I doubt you would so easily say "oh, we can now live in another dimension forever... but we shouldn't because death is good". And I think the story for the game is aiming for more sustantial subjects, like... even civilizations so different, no matter how advanced their are technologically ...make the same mistakes as we humans do.

Or...looking at this advanced technololgy they have... they still live in quite a primitve place. Perhaps their superior intelligence, pointed them that simplicity is logical. And all that sor of stuff, that aren't necesarilly life lessons, but nevertheless very interesting things to absorb and think about.

• 2 months later...

and another "lesson": people with german or austrain accents have a predisposition for doing evil. This isn't flamebait, it's just that i remember what a friend said after watching the indiana jones trilogy was that all he learned was that german people are evil.

yeah yeah, I still like a lot of spielberg's movies, but the sterotypes and notion of moral progress he advertises makes me roll my eyes.

Archived