Home

Really old Vets wanted for game history.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

I'm putting together a history guide of SWG and using the experience that I gained (if I can remember any of it as i was never sober! lol) and really looking for players out there who can do a small write up about their experiences - be it with vendors, group hunts, any PvP battles that happened, guilds and members etc.

Please tell your friends on the official forums and your servers to either email me darthmauluk@gmail.com or post something on here.

Thanks in advance!

DMUK

Here is my tale. You can extract the good bits and squeeze and squash the content til your hearts content DM. smash:

HerbieZ's Tale.

When i started in December 2003, before the NGE and the CU. It was roughly 6 months after the release of Galaxies and there was a real sense of community since it was only mere days before i joined that vehicles had been introduced into the game. It was my first foray into MMO's and i was absolutely amazed with the scale and scope of the game.

After selecting a plucky looking Mon Calamari as my character, i appeared in the training station, which was at this time, a small room with a planet destination chooser infront of you. The only place available to me was Rori. So there i was, on Rori standing outside Narmle starport with only a Cdef Pistol and a Maroj Melon to my name. After wondering around i remember talking to an NPC for the better part of an hour asking if he was a real person. I figured im bound to find people on a more mainstream hive of activity so being absolutely creditless (that's how it was back then) i did some small missions and earned enough to buy a ticket to Theed, Naboo. There i quickly found a bustling community where i learned that i wanted to be an Artisan and make money selling my wares.

I think for the mostpart, some of my funniest memories were in the early days. I had a small house outside of Theed which had a fair few mineral and chemical harvesters outside it (i was a farmer). Every day i used to log on and check up on them, feed maintenance into the harvesters and take the resources they extracted. The funny part was, most times i went out there, there was always a spawn of something nasty near my harvesters such as shaupouts or spineflaps. I spent upto 2 hours once running back and forth from the harvesters to my house being chased by creatures as i tried to get my resources. One time, someone stopped and sat there laughing at me as i ran for about 20 minutes in circles to get rid of the aggro spineflap that was bullying me. Fortunately as the game progressed, i made friends with some more combat orientated players so i just called them and they took care of the nests for me.

As for what i used the resources for... Even just before i left the game with millions in my account and a title as a reknown Master Starship Crafter i will always be known as the Mon Cal who tried to sell cheap shoddy fireworks to everyone who stepped out of Theed Spaceport.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm i had many good experiences, I logged in a few days after it started, damn international shipping!!! I walked, slowly to Daobra Gerful, i had no idea about waypoints or anything, i just tried to walk in the general direction, it was breath taking, i took many screen shots, things like harvesters amazed me!

Daobra Gefrul was my home or the next few month, as my friends and i slowly wrked our way up, having fun camping, and training.

I loved being out on hunts, a full group hunting anything, we would set up camp, and have to heal up, entertainers danced, and those of us with medic skills helped where we could, everyone had a good time.

I loved going to any city, and walking into the cantina to see some one dancing or playing an instrument, and they were not AFK. Cantinas like Bela Vistal, Kor Vella were always busy any time of day! not like now where its all Mos Eisley, back then Eisley was busy too.

Anchorhead/Bestine War was unbelieveable, sometime sit was laggy due to everytone fighting, after you were done fighting we would head to the cantina and heal up, no one ever fought inside it was an unwritten law, the med centers too were non conflict zones, med centers that were used, now i only use them in short cuts. The war was great, nightly it peaked. Pets everywhere, it looked and felt like a real war zone.

Medcenters were social too, you could always find a doctor in the city med center, sometimes the med centre was crowded, but you waited your turn, telling tales o your journeys to the other wounded players, waiting for the doctor to come fix you. The docotr would heal your wounds, and off i went only to come back later!

The sense of danger was there too, you were worried about the agros, i avoided some places like the shuttle in kor vella, you always ended up dead or just about when you loaded in due to the agros waiting just outside.

Squills terrorised people, if one was chassing you, everyone else shot off in diferent directions trying to save themselves, the squill cave was the hardest place to get into. no one came out alive!

Everyone was freindly, people chatted to anyone, it was a social enviroment, you had notihng better to do while you were in the med center, you chatted to anyone, cantinas were always fun, you could always talk to the dancer, who was there working to get money and grind their way to the top.

I started on the second day of the launch. And stop before nge, (my friend started on the first day). So yes I have quite some memory on the first days of the game.

I remember when you need to retrieve your dead body for stuff, that was canceled within the frist few days of the game. I remember where you can get a rancor as a pet at even low level for pets. I remember days where you level up like crazy if you disguise and run along the nests. I remember the movement glitch causing big monsters to get stuck, where anyone can solo a krayt if done right. I remember first time when the tusken fort is populated. I remember where you can get samples from Jabba's rancor. I remember when you can build on any planet. I remember the first rideable pet. I remember... yes you can ask me I remember lots of funny stuff, like when you get a free holo for present that year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm I remember looking at my brother (Jan Gaarni) play the game. And he told me to get it too. I thought "nah looks boring" :p hehe. But I got Jan to buy it for me, and help me install it (yes I wasnt a computer geek at that time :p ) I got help from my brother and some others to get to their first "city" on Naboo. "The crafters retreat". I always thought that wookiees looked cool, so I made a female one. White and black. I felt so cool. lol. When I got there I saw houses and other players saying "hey" to me. And I thought "wow this looks cool". At one of our meeting inside a medium naboo house one of our creature handlers pulled out a big animal. The whole house shook (sp?) and I didnt know what was happening. I almost didnt know how to move the character right :p Suddenly a big green foot came through the walls, and everyone yelled "BRUCE!" It was Baboos pet, the torton called Bruce. Ohh my, it was the biggest pet I have ever seen, lol. We went outside and it looked so cool!!!. But since I wasnt used to the game and knew little of it. I thought it was dangerous. hehe. But then later Jo showed me a tamed Peko Peko and I fell in love with the profession creature handler.

I deleted my wookiee and made a twi'lek called Tebra (the one on the picture below). I got dancer and creature handler, but after a while when I started to level I knew that a more dangerous profession then dancer would be needed. So I got swordsman. And I loved it. I ended up as a master swordsman and master creaturehandler. I ahd fun taming pets, and when mounts came out. I took special orders taming special mounts for people, naming them, and gettin the commands right for them. Hard work, but it was soooooo nice. I felt that I was helping someone getting a mount they would care for and love. So when they took it away I felt so sad, I lost both swordsman and creaturehandler. And I ended up as a officer in NGE. I still got my pets in my datapad. Love them to death. Still miss the old days. Hope they come back soooooon :D

In the end before NGE I had 4 accounts. NGE = 0 accounts :p well well..thats my story :)

Archived