Home

Cool Science Stuff!

Boba Rhett

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knowing the answer is okay, to know what's behind it is better. but that's why we're here, eh? :p

The explanation is quite simple: air resistance. :) The mass of iron block is pretty much err heavy, so the air (or any other gas) has not much to put against it, but the feather has a small mass, wind (air) can easily blow it away. But without any air/gas, what then? Both are pulled towards the ground with the same acceleration caused by earth gravity and nothing is trying to "stop" them. The mass is complete of no importance in this case. ;)

[edit]

ARRGH!! Not just close, equally. :p

Modern refrigerators don't use CFC. Instead they use ammonia gas. Ammonia gas turns into a liquid when it is cooled to -27 degrees Fahrenheit (-6.5 degrees Celsius).

A motor and compressor squeezes the ammonia gas. When it is compressed, a gas heats up as it is pressurized. When you pass the compressed gas through the coils on the back or bottom of a modern refrigerator, the hot ammonia gas can lose its heat to the air in the room.

Remember the law of thermodynamics.

As it cools, the ammonia gas can change into ammonia liquid because it is under a high pressure.

The ammonia liquid flows through what's called an expansion valve, a tiny small hole that the liquid has to squeeze through. Between the valve and the compressor, there is a low-pressure area because the compressor is pulling the ammonia gas out of that side.

When the liquid ammonia hits a low pressure area it boils and changes into a gas. This is called vaporizing.

The coils then go through the freezer and regular part of the refrigerator where the colder ammonia in the coil pulls the heat out of the compartments. This makes the inside of the freezer and entire refrigerator cold.

The compressor sucks up the cold ammonia gas, and the gas goes back through the same process over and over. [/Quote]

Here ya go!

static electricity is Lightning, so static electricity can be way more then 10,000 volts

As stated, "Can be well over 10,000 volts". But thank you for pointing out that static electricity is , indeed, electricity. emot-pseudo.gif I was somewhat hazy on the issue. ;)

Why hasn't molecular gastronomy been used yet to make flatulence smell of roses and mint? I want answers!

emot-science.gif Plasma balls (like the ones in Spencer's Gifts, etc.) are miniature Tesla Coils. I believe these operate by means of electrical conduction. An AC current is injected into the ground through a grounding terminal, this takes advantage of the earths charge - making it oscillate and enabling an electrical flow to propagate thousands of miles with little interference. (Think about it, relative to it's size the earth isn't exactly thin anywhere so it's not going to choke the flow) This propagation is the reason the flow from the Tesla coils can be completed from the coil through the earth to you and back to the coil. The tentacles reaching to your hands and the small shock you feel are the surface waves. This is the current jumping through the air to complete the huge flow that's been set up.

Edit: I think I'm wrong on this and that the tendrils are actually just a result of the secondary coil trying to equalize the voltage difference between itself and any conductive material within its ionization bubble.

Why hasn't molecular gastronomy been used yet to make flatulence smell of roses and mint? I want answers!

Because

A) "Roses really smell like poo poo poo. yeeeaahh roses really smell like poo poo poo" So there isn't much work to be done

B) This really has more to do with anatomey science than food science.

C) Wiley Dufresne is busy being a guest host on the Top Chef finale last month, Grant Achatz is to bust being sexy, and Marcel Vigneron is to busy being sexier than Grant Achatz and working at Joel Rubochon or however his name's spelled.

Outkast - Roses.

emot-science.gif Current actually travels on the magnetic field surrounding wire, not through the wire itself.

emot-science.gif The microwave was invented after a researcher walked in front of a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

How come Beakman doesn't get the same respect Nuy does? :(

Archived