Home

Underestimating Gaming

HerbieZ

After much arm-twisting, yesterday i finally installed Galaxies onto my computer. Having been an original player of the game long before the NGE and the CU, i had low hopes of the game. You see, i left the game before they changed the entire profession and combat systems because i was unhappy with what they changed it into. Now i admit, ever since i left the game, i have actively discouraged use of the game and shunned it. But after playing it for a good 6 hours or more yesterday with ma bud TSR, i realized, it was not the new game i was dissapointed with it was just the transition from old to new. If i had realized this and just stuck with the game, i would never have left it.

I don't think i have ever had as much fun in a game as i had yesterday. After setting up my new character, i started doing the noobie missions and quests when some little rodian struts in like he owns the place. After delivering a /punch, i realized it was TSR! We decided to take on the quests in a group consisting of us two and two random drifters who joined us later. As we were going through the quests, i was in stitches because of some of the things that happened. For example: -

One of the quests we did involved going into a cave to find a droid part, and we had to go right to the bottom. Little did we know that we went the wrong way and battled our way through the cave only to realize that we had gone in a complete circle at which point i screamed. This was made harder by TSR's epilepsy inducing grenades and shouting "GRENADE!" less than a millisecond before they went off. We had a blast. Numerous times did we run into a large herd of enemies only to both get knocked unconsious. Me getting chased by large two tailed rats and leading them straight to TSR where i got off my bike and got attacked by an R2 unit who then got attacked by an R5 unit.

All these things just made me enjoy the game so much that i had just installed that morning yet so quickly turned against 2 years ago now. I am impressed at how the developers fixed almost everything that was wrong with the game originally such as quests and items that were useless and broken. In short, because i had so much fun yesterday, il never berate this game again. This has got me thinking though about all those games out there that i said looked awful and did'nt interest me. Some of them are awesome and i don't even know it. In a way, this is exactly what i thought about Kotor which is why i did not buy it on release. It just did not interest me, until i played it and found it was one of the best games i had ever played.

Not just about Galaxies here, but really is there anyone that has truly underestimated a game so much that they have discouraged it and then found out that it really is an awesome game. Or a game that you have gained alot of respect for in terms of how well the developers have done with it or how much it has changed for the better?

Baldur's gate II.

Far too much to take in considering i'd never played a single RPG before in my life. Hit rolls?! +1 swords?! Character stats?! I was more used to running round and shooting things.

Eased back a bit, tried some simpler RPG games (I think it was Deus Ex follwed by icewind dale), then tried again six months later & loved it.

Still one of my favourite games to this date now.

I complained a lot about TSL when I first beat it, but it was a little different case than yours. I had loved the entire game but I was disappointed that it ended so suddenly. I was expecting more gameplay after that. But I've still played it 4 or 5 times.

Archived