Home

Sea of Empires

Alkonium

A thousand years it has stood, but all things are fleeting. As it passes it shall be forgotten, as have all past ages of the Golden Sea. No historian today knows of the time in which we, the gods, raised what is the Golden Sea, from what was the Golden Sea. Though we chose the ruling line well, their time is coming to an end...

Alkonium Presents:

SEA OF EMPIRES

Starring:

Alkonium

Darth Aida

Relenzo2

RaV

Tysyacha

steven

and

JediMaster12

Jacen Nelar left his quarters at 10:00P.M. for the meeting. They were good accommodations, the heart of the empire knew how to house it’s guests. Big banners hanging next to 12ft windows, rooms with five beds and personal bathing pools, well, you get the idea. But, Jacen was sure, another ninja assasin had tried to get in last night. Good thing he kept heavy security wherever he went. It was how he survived as long as he did. Ah, well, his guards would report to him later. But he was cutting it close, he had to get to the grand hall.

All the representatives in the empire were assembled in the grand hall, finding their seats as the flag procession went on below, where the diplomats sat. The meeting soon started, but Jacen Nelar paid little attention. If something important happened, he would hear, he had a good ear for relevant business.

No one was paying much attention to him, so he took out a sketchpad and continued making plans for his raid on the Imperius outpost. They were raiding it because it was blocking important Merkan passage. It was on their turf. D*** Imperious, what did they know about taming the backcountry? He could kill all the guards there, or he could make it look like and Insectoid attack… he just wanted the Imperious off of Merkan soil, now.

About an hour into the meeting, Jacen’s ears pricked up, and he stashed his sketchpad. Something important was being announced. Ah, yes, and it was exactly what he had been waiting for. He didn’t often come to these meeting, after all.

The Council was determining whether to maybe split the territories tax and stock franchises. Merkan was the most separated, and they would take the least of any repercussions of this economical or political. He was here to make sure the bill got passed.

Hmm, Kanis was oh so graciously supporting the bill. But then Tarim was convinced it would mean disaster. Tyrpical. But by the time Jacen put in his piece, it was obvious Merkan taxes were safe.

"Priestess, I'd like to look at the Tablet of Anubis. It could prove or disprove my theories about the future of the Empire, though I fear it will just reinforce what the Tome has already told me." Alexander asked Adria. "Consider it a show of good faith between Imperius and Kanis."

Foo Merkanor Trekked through the brush like an open road, as did the men behind him. While he had a couple of dueling swords-with more value than could be appreciated at face- most of the others carried Ertilian’s Muskets.

Foo put his hand out to the side. All the men stopped. “We’re at the outpost.” he said. “Looks like situation normal for now. Alright, Merkans, let’s get a distraction.” He pointed across the pass with two fingers.

Two Merkan crept across the pass, then charged through the wood on the other side, whooping and setting off wires to knock down trees. He heard shouting at the post, and a few seconds later Imperius soldiers streamed out of the tower and followed the trail.

“Alright, we need to restructure.” Foo said. “If there’s anyone left, deal with em’ quickly.” Foo and his ten men starting tearing apart the Imperus tower.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacen snapped his fingers. The carraige stopped, and he got out. He was stopping in a major city of Kanis on his way back to his home. Huge sandstone and limestone sculptures and monuments to the Gods rose above the skyline. The Temple of Anubis itself was quite glorious. Jacen entered, making the customary bows, and found the priestess she was looking for, Adria. “Greetings, exalted servant of the Gods,” Jacen said bowing, while he thought, she looks like a turtle!, “May I browse the records in the temple?” Jacen hoped to, by seeing the records, figure something out about the strange rumors now taking hold. That the empire was going to end, about 1000 old books, and it was all apparently rising from this religion, or at least it was connected. But then he saw Alexander, the famous eccentric, had he been starting these rumors?, going to the room where the tablet was stored. Hmm..

Adira looked at the new comer "Well isn't some temple popular today. The libary is down the wall but before you got anywhere you be place your weapons with the guards and change into a temple robe. Now if you'd excuse me," Adria said before turning to Alexender "Please, follow me." Adria then walked to a reinforced wall and opened by placing a crystal, which was attached to a necklace, into a slot in the door and then turning it, which activated a locking mechinisim inside the door, thus opening it.

It was interesting how she went through the wall with that crystal... well. To the library. Jacen went and started browsing volumes that had to do with ods and the empire. Nothing, no. He was about to leave, when, knocking a book with no title off the shelf, he saw it contained the infromation he needed. ... and putting down my pen, I darens't copy the true volume, but I can tell you that the empire is doomed, within nine years of this books printing. Jacen gulped and checked the date. The Empire obviously didn't have much time left. He browed some of the other chapters. Maybe this was just some quack who didn't know what he was talking abuot, although this was in the holy library, or whatever it was called. Jacen skipped the chapters about religion and astrology and found incredibly brilliant analyises of the Empire, with economics, demographics, everything. He had even refined this "The Book"'s prediction of the end of the official empire from a year down to a week. Jacen's heart started beating faster. He went to put the book back on teh shelf. He put it back, but then he heard something behind him. He spun around. No one there. Per perhaps he was just jumpy. But wait, there it was again. He carried a longknife with him all the time for protection, but somehow he thought a knife wouldn't be much use against whatever awaited him here. He ran straight out of the temple and back to his carraige. "Go!" he breathed, eyes wide.

"The lady Tyri," scowled Lannik Septim, Lord of Tyor. "Send for her, no other."

He shook his head at the page boy once the young lad had departed.

Galloped out of the throne room like a frightened colt, he had, with

legs just as long and spindly! Lannik had no patience for sycophants.

He also had no patience for servants who took bribes from scheming

members of the Royal Court who wanted to replace his finest diplomat.

Gwenyvach Tyri had only been a scullery maid twenty years ago, but

her common blood did not mean common temperament as well. Very

quickly, this fine lass had impressed everyone with her suave speech,

witty turn of phrase, and keen knowledge of the Empire and its factions.

Right now, she was a crucial ally to try and convince to support a war.

"Yes, milord?" Gwenyvach entered, her honey-golden hair spilling past

her shoulders in a rather unkempt fashion. She looked rather distressed.

"Ah, Gwenyvach! I was hoping you were not occupied at the moment. I

must ask you--do ye believe in fate? Or ghosts, or dreams?" Septim inquired.

"Nay in ghosts, milord, but in fate and dreams, I do." The 'lady Tyri', as

Septim had referred to her, curtsied before him in demure, deliberate

fashion. After she had risen to her full height, she asked her Lord: "Have

ye been having any dreams that trouble you?" Gwenyvach was rather

adept at deciphering the hidden significance of such things--another of

her many talents. She was nowhere near as good as a certain Anubisite...

Septim nodded his head. "They came in black ships to destroy us, across

dark water," revealed the King. "We had no warning, as they came in the

night during a summer storm. By morning, we all were either dead or slaves."

A shiver ran down Gwenyvach's spine. "Tarim. Their ships are black. Made

of a strong, resilient wood soaked in pitch to seal out the water. Do you

think--"

"That they'd attack us?" Septim chuckled bitterly. "Of course. Who else both

rivals our military might and hates us for supposedly wallowing in decadence

and luxury? The Tarimi live like monks. Worse than monks if they're on some

spiritual quest. To me, the people of Tarim are simply jealous because we

have gold and they do not. What do they have? Fish?" Septim guffawed.

"That's why I think they'd strike without a second thought. And kill."

"Maybe so," said Gwenyvach, "but would they risk full-out Imperial war?"

"They might. That's what I have to find out. What we have to discover."

Rain. Cold and harsh, thick and merciless. Soaking everyone who dared

to venture out on this bitter and soggy day, it refused to stop, plastering

Vollig Tier's shoulder-length, blood-spattered hair to his iron skull.

Another evildoer punished, another crime avenged. This one had been a

young woman, an adulteress, so since she had lost her head in the heat

of passion, Vollig believed she deserved to lose that very same head in

the name of justice. As for the lady's husband--he was the one who had

found Vollig and spilled his tale of woe just as he'd spilled his tavern drink.

As for Vollig, he never touched ale, knowing it dulled his senses. He needed

all of them sharp. The gods had chosen him out of all the people of Tarim,

male and female alike. The time had come to scour the Empire, to rain down

pain and judgment upon those who would not listen to the gods. Or to their

own consciences, for that matter. Who knew right from wrong these days?

Certainly not Lannik Septim, who indulged in women and wine. True, he

was tasteful about it, and so Vollig would capture him and return him as

a slave to his own master, Hrisskar. Hard labor would serve the man well.

Break his pride. After that, his soul would be saved. Vollig would see to it.

Foo’s men set up stakes under the foundations and ripped them out. “Push, men!” The small bastilla tipped over and crashed into a thousand smithereens.

“Okay, we’re going home. And tell the trappers they can move back into the pass to get their catches.” It was probably his extra caution talking, but Foo thought he saw a bit of movement to the west. Ben noticed his apprehension. “Maybe I should open up a round or two into the bush, sir?” He asked.

“No,” Foo replied, “This is a covert mission, in case you’ve forgot. There’s Imperius men out there, searching for ghosts. Let’s move out before they get back.” And so Foo’s musketmen reported home.

-------------------------------------------------------

The wagon carrying Jacen Nelar rolled through the foot deep mud on the side of the road. He could have asked for banners and trumpets, so people would move out of his way and not drive him off the narrow path, but he never bothered. There was no way the wagon was moving anymore, so he got out and walked the last half mile to town. The sight of it brought a wide smile to his face.

Home. It rose from the surrounding country like a new plant, crawling with people, Battered signs announced the keeps and stores, people ran about even today in everything from tightly woven wool smocks to dyed cloth dresses and suits. The government building, looking a bit worse for the wear, was no sight different from the rest of the town. Other provinces might announce wherever their governmentwas with towers and golden gutters, but not them. Well, except for the Executory House. It was made of marble. But, that was halfway across Merkan.

Jacen ducked to avoid hitting his head as he entered the building and called out. General Poff, in his old blue veterans uniform, came into sight and ran down the stairs. “Well, Mr. Naler! It’s good to see a friendly face around, when you’ve got such a lonely job as this. Got any news?” Jacen thought for a moment.

“Only old news, my friend. That new bill, and a few others of similar kind, are now in action. The end of the official empire is close at hand.” “I say, what are you talking about?” “Mm, indeed. And we have to be ready. Scribe!” “Oh, he left a couple of minutes ago to get the coffee. Don’t worry, I’ll do it myself. Okay, start dictating your record.” “The 5th week of December, in 9999 years since the creation of the empire, be the end of the empire as we know it. Merkans of loyalty should then prepare to stand on their own, and against all others, for their own survival.”

“Got it. Heavans, what convinced you so of this. You’re our representative, not our leader!” “Nevermind. But when the scribe gets back, tell him to send a letter ahead of me to the executor to try to cut down on our corn export dependency. Store it instead to feed a bigger military! It’s our one dependency to the rest of the empire, and I don’t want it hurting us. Good bye, and say hello to the missus for me.”

"There have been reports of increasing tension between Tarim and Tyor. Nothing good. A book I found in a ruin here, written when the Empire began, saying that it will end in a thousand years, which means it only has a few days at best." Alexander said to Adria.

"Vollig, Hrisskar wishes to speak with you immediately." A Tarimi soldier said to Vollig as he approached the capital of Tarim.

"Sir, I do not think this is a good idea. I've heard stories of Vollig Tier, and his idea of justice." Spartus said to Varacles as their ship docked at the Tarim harbour.

"You call yourself a warrior! It's not like every Tarimi is like him. Come, Hrisskar is waiting for us." Varacles jokingly replied.

Vollig saluted to the passing soldier, being a man of few words and many actions.

As he approached the capital of Tarim, he wondered if he should have brought

his quarry's head with him as a sign of his willingness to do whatever needed

to be done. After a moment, though, he reconsidered. Too bloody. Too bold.

"You sent for me, Tarach? asked Vollig, using a term for "Tarimi of

all Tarimi" to refer to Hrisskar. "One of your soldiers mentioned it in passing."

"I'd like to speak to your about your 'methods'. You claim to be chosen by the gods to bring justice to the Empire, but you haven't set foot near a temple in ten years. Even the the most petty of wrongdoers who encounter end up dead. You call yourself the blade of the gods, but all I see is a brute who is all too eager to kill. You make me wonder if the Altians are right in not seeking wisdom from the gods. Speaking of which, a delegation from Altus is on its way here now." Hrisskar said to Vollig.

"Did it mention how exactly it will end?" Asked Adria, leaning against a wall, looking at both Alexender and the tablet.

Kenshin Tsung knew the way of the sword but he felt his calling was the way of the word. For years he had spent studying in both ways only to emerge as a trusted emmissary and diplomat for teh province of Nyia. Recently the Empire was falling into disrepair and there were rumors that there was written prophecy concernign the empire. Under orders, he was to travel to the province of Kanis to find out. He contracted his friend and secret love, General Portia Cutler, the commander of the fleet and the province Ferai to take him.

GeneraL Portia Cutler had more important things on her mind. Her merchant fleet was the largest and the prime supplier of major goods. She had to go to Kanis to try an renew a treaty and when Kenshin approached her for transport, she readily agreed. THey arrived at Kanis and sought out the priestess. They saw Alexander talking to her.

Kenshin realized that maybe he should speak so he introduced himself, "Perhaps I can help translate if assistance is necessary?"

Jacen;s line of thought was about this. Only this. He had to figure out what other people with this information would do. He was going crazy about it. Okay. Here, they had listened to him all they would. He began making preperations for another journey, right back to Kanis, to find out where that eccentric had gone.

"You can be assured, Tarach," replied Vollig stalwartly, "that no matter

what wrongs they have committed or what vices they have indulged themselves

in, I will not harm them. The future of the Empire depends on alliances and

loyalties, and I am not about to ruin a future one."

Vollig stood, and his voice turned cold. "As for my methods, what else am

I to do? It is true that I have not stepped inside a temple for nigh on a

decade, but I see what they are on the outside--monuments to Tarim

wealth. Our priests are becoming just as decadent as those of Tyor,

displaying their gold and precious stones inside and outside of temple

walls! This is not what worship is, or following the gods. I pray in

hollow caves, surviving in the wilderness to further hone my spirit.

"My Tarach, I shall give fair warning to those who have offended

the gods and their fellow men, which I have not done insofar. Regardless,

there are only so many times you can tell souls to repent before they

realize that no action will be taken to punish them, either on the part

of gods or men. That is why I'm here, and that is why I came to explain."

Vollig bowed stiffly at the waist. "A brute, am I? At least I'm not a fool."

"Lady Tyri?" asked Lannik Septim two days later, after much thought. "I'm

sending you to Niya as our most skilled ambassador, to see how the province

feels about a possible alliance between us and them. Needless to say, you

should warn them about a looming threat from Tarim, for my nightmares

have grown steadily worse. I see a man with an axe--nay, two axes--

who slaughters everyone that he thinks has offended the gods or men.

"Talk to the nobles of Niya about how such an alliance would benefit us

both. With our military might combined, Tarim doesn't stand a chance if

she decides to attack. Also, their strategies of war are based on ways

of thinking that are foreign to us, but also suprising and quite interesting.

"I'm sending you aboard a fishing boat, however, as a scullery maid. The

nobles of Niya will recognize you by the silver quarterstaff you carry, and

the gaze of a clairvoyant within your eyes. If you're quartered aboard a

fine skiff, the threat of bandits and pirates will be far greater than it would

if a simple fishmonger's vessel were carrying you." Septim smirked proudly.

So did Gwenyvach. "Washing dishes and swabbing decks? I can play the part."

"Good. I've sent for the ship to be ready within two days' time. We must hurry,

for I fear this man in my nightmares has more influence over Tarach

Hrisskar than either one of them realizes." Septim dismissed Gwenyvach,

his mind set at ease. Niya might not form an alliance, but neither would

she hurt his most accomplished diplomat unless she chose to attack first.

The Samurai was remaining silent throughout the meeting

of the great powers inside the Deceiver's realm as he

was more there to express the power the Imperials had

over anyone else. The Samurai was known for his conquests

as well as his remarkable abilities even with his slight handicaps.

Now he was to be summoned...

"So that settles it..Tarim and Tyor have grown apart for the

longest I can remember, but we can play as the advocate.

We Will." Claimed the Deceiver whom soon grew a confident

face after witnessing the reactions of his officials before he

would continue on, "Our entire desire of this conflict between

these two is to plunge them in a bloody war so then we may

play God and decide whom should win this war with the help of.."

Suddenly, The Samurai came forward to avoid his true

identity to be revealed as in an odd case he hasn't even

found it out for himself. The Emperor smiled thinking

The Samurai was eager for conflict yet he was nearly for the opposite.

"What would you have me do Great Deceiver?"

"Assassinate the diplomat of Tarim known as Gwenyvach."

The Samurai was remaining silent throughout the meeting

of the great powers inside the Emperor's realm as he

was more there to express the power the Imperials had

over anyone else. The Samurai was known for his conquests

as well as his remarkable abilities even with his slight handicaps.

Now he was to be summoned...

"So that settles it..Tarim and Tyor have grown apart for the

longest I can remember, but we can play as the advocate.

We Will." Claimed the Emperor whom soon grew a confident

face after witnessing the reactions of his officials before he

would continue on, "Our entire desire of this conflict between

these two is to plunge them in a bloody war so then we may

play God and decide whom should win this war with the help of.."

Suddenly, The Samurai came forward to avoid his true

identity to be revealed as in an odd case he hasn't even

found it out for himself. The Emperor smiled thinking

The Samurai was eager for conflict yet he was nearly for the opposite.

"What would you have me do m'lord?"

"Assassinate the diplomat of Tarim known as Khan."

(First of all, I stated in the Casting Call that the Emperor is too ill to make any important decisions, second, I doubt he would deliberately plunge the Empire into civil war, and third, Khan is the diplomat from Niya, not Tarim)

Archived