Home

Realism in KOTOR 3

legend222

I think KOTOR 3 should be a bit more realistic. When I say realistic I don't mean getting hit once with a saber and dieing. I think the people in the city's should do more than just walk around, they should talk to each other express feelings and things like that. And what about night and day? Dantooine for example is always day, I don't know about you but it really starts to annoy me. Day and night should change like in Neverwinter Nights II. Also people should pay more attention to the fact that the character is a Jedi\Sith. I walk around the city with a robe and lightsabers in each hand and no one notices? These are just details but they're still important.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also people should pay more attention to the fact that the character is a Jedi\Sith. I walk around the city with a robe and lightsabers in each hand and no one notices? These are just details but they're still important.

I agree with the day and night thing, and people interacting more. On Dantooine they do notice if you have your lightsaber in your hand though. Also Jedi dress in Robes to try and blend in, so I dont think they would be that easy to spot, unless walking around with lightsaber in your hand ;)

Fable has a greater sense of realism, ie the "people" react to you when you do things and interact with you more like run screaming if you are evil or exclaim how wonderful you are if you are good. Although I don't think that is quite necessary in Kotor but a little more interaction from the "people" around you would be a good idea.

I like the day night thing or at least an ingame time/date to make it more realistic time wise and how about you actually need to rest like in other games so having things like a bed in your room (ala Citadel Station) is actually worth while. You'll need to power nap for those big battles.

I forgot about weather and now that I think about it, it sounds like a good idea. A lightsaber duel on a stormy night (a bit cliche but we all love it) for example would be a lot cooler than on a hot day. And if the weather conditions affect your character ( rain wets your clothes, messes up your hair, evaporates from your lightsaber ) it would be even better.

Yes just like Assassin's creed crowds are interactive so should the K3 ones be. Not pushing them aside like Assassin's creed but the way they talk and interact with each other, it certainly seems what a crowd should do.

Fable does well but it's not entirely appropriate, after all the PC's mission should be secret, however a little recognition would be nice. Like if you destroy a planet as a Sith people would try to avoid talking to you and when the do the should be nervous. But if you save one as a Jedi the should be polite and a happy to talk to the PC.

This would be nice, yes, but it doesn't have particularly high priority for me. Story and plot is definitely highest priority for me with characterization next. I'd also like a better RPG engine (because I hate d20... no, on second thought, I loathe it...) and that combat is implemented better while holding onto the turn-based system (which I do NOT want to go away!)

This would be nice, yes, but it doesn't have particularly high priority for me. Story and plot is definitely highest priority for me with characterization next. combat is implemented better while holding onto the turn-based system.

I agree,

also, regarding realism, I'd like it if you could see some weapons you carry, lightsaber on belt, rifle over shoulder etc

Realism doesn't make sense in a game with floating lightsabers. The illusion of realism is alright, but it's WAY lower priority.

True, but I don't get the impression that is what he meant. To me it sounded like he wanted the game to more along the lines of what it would be like if such things did exist. The night and day example is pretty telling - even in Star Wars, the sun(s) still rise(s) and set(s), the seasons shift with rain and snow and clouds, gravity makes you crash if your ship's engines fail, etc...

KotOR could have more of all that. It be nice, too, but - as I said before - to me it's not a major priority.

It would be a nice bonus, but not a necessity. The story is more important by far. However, I would like to see day and night changes, more social interactions between civilians, and maybe some weather changes. One thing that's bothered me is, why am I always carrying my weapons? Why can't I attach them to my belt or something? Also, it would be nice to actually see the color and design of things like whatever gloves and belts you're wearing when you're viewing your character in the game like normal.

Seasons will not be needed probably, things does not happen that fast in game. Different weather and night/day would be nice though.

Too much realism can be bad also. I really don't want to feed my characters or bring him to washroom and shower... this is not the sims. Though star wars the sims would be fun.

One thing that's bothered me is, why am I always carrying my weapons? Why can't I attach them to my belt or something?

Yes, that IS annoying... Particularly when it results in clipping errors during cutscenes, when you suddenly have people poking their weapons through the torso of a friend or the back of a chair... I laugh, but I do get the feeling I'm not supposed to :mad:

To be perfectly honest with you, I like video games that have very little realism. I'd hate to have to sleep or have to deal with weather or time. I like games because they're games; they aren't real.

To some extent, this might be cool, but I agree with the low, low, low priority of it.

I think KOTOR 3 should be a bit more realistic. When I say realistic I don't mean getting hit once with a saber and dieing.

what? That is the most annoying part. There is no way Dark Jedi, let alone an average citizen, can three lightsaber strikes without losing arms or other body parts.

It should, expecting to be on next-gen consoles aswell as PC, have better and more realistic weather changes, time, night, day, dusk, dawn and a more realistic fighting system, were you don't have to take as many turns in attacking and don't fall the same exact way when you die - drop on knees, struggle abit and then fall face down.

I agree that this isn't the most important thing in a game like KotOR, I just think that such details would make the game more fun. And no I don't want sleeping and eating. I want something like walking along the street and seeing people talking to each other like in Fable or Oblivion, reacting to my alignment, seeing day turn night, weather changes and things like that.

what? That is the most annoying part. There is no way Dark Jedi' date=' let alone an average citizen, can three lightsaber strikes without losing arms or other body parts.[/quote']

If that were the case, then you have to go with the whole package and make it so that your own character can die in one swing of a lightsaber. I doubt you want that. The combat system should really stay where it is, but they need to make better combat animation to make it look a bit more realistic.

what? That is the most annoying part. There is no way Dark Jedi' date=' let alone an average citizen, can three lightsaber strikes without losing arms or other body parts.[/quote']But then there is no challenge for the player. Some realism must be sacrificed for gameplay purposes.

GAMEPLAY > REALISM.

Under this golden rule some realism is nice, only if that does not negatively affact gameplay. Having one hit kills is fun and all until you realize that it would make the game somewhat tedious in places. i mean we are playing as Heros, which means normal things does not always apply to them.

If that were the case, then you have to go with the whole package and make it so that your own character can die in one swing of a lightsaber. I doubt you want that.

That is where the lightsaber forms come in. In K2, I couldn't tell any difference between the forms like I could for Jedi Academy. If you're using the right form, you won't die after one lightsaber strikes. And my character usually always died with one hit whenever I fought Kavar.

what? That is the most annoying part. There is no way Dark Jedi' date=' let alone an average citizen, can three lightsaber strikes without losing arms or other body parts.[/quote']

Hmm, true. What it needs is something like the (if memory serves) D20 system when you have few Hit Points but something like Stamina (it's not that, but it's something similar) that regenerates a lot faster, but you use them up first. I saw it described as effectively if an attack "hits" then the damage is done out of this other pool first. It's the equivalent of the character straining him/herself to just get out of the way. Once these are used up, attacks connect, damage is done to the main hit point pool and death or serious injury is imminent.

Does that make any sense? I know what I'm trying to say...

Hmm, true. What it needs is something like the (if memory serves) D20 system when you have few Hit Points but something like Stamina (it's not that, but it's something similar) that regenerates a lot faster, but you use them up first. I saw it described as effectively if an attack "hits" then the damage is done out of this other pool first. It's the equivalent of the character straining him/herself to just get out of the way. Once these are used up, attacks connect, damage is done to the main hit point pool and death or serious injury is imminent.

Does that make any sense? I know what I'm trying to say...

That's very similar to something I suggested recently. In my opinion, that would definitely be better than hitting someone 10 times with a lightsaber but they don't die, they just lose "health". It's not absolutely necessary since combat isn't the main focus of the game, but it would be a nice bonus.

Archived