Home

audio and video drastically sped up

Fish.Stapler

I've posted this message at a few tech support forums, beyond the initial "read and obvious solution" posts I got nothing. Here's to hoping some of you guys can help me out :(.

"So, a few weeks ago my computer crashed. Blew it off as no big problem, it's crashed before. Before I start getting into specifics, computer specs as follows...

ASUS a8n-SLI deluxe motherboard

NVidia NForce 4 chipset

NVidia 7800GTX video card

AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor

Realtek AC'97 sound

Windows XP running SP 2

If I missed any hardware that will be essential for fixing this problem, please tell me :)

Anyways...computer crashed and when it rebooted and arrived at the login screen, wireless mouse was totally dead. No response. Plugged in an old ps/2 mouse and logged in...replaced batteries in wireless, plugged it back in, didn't work. Switched all the usb ports and tried other usb devices, none of them worked. Did windows repair, tried installing new drivers. Ran registry editor to check on some files. Nothing.

Now, I'd love input on that problem but a more pressing problem has arrived.

Somehow in trying to fix my usb, my sound and video got totally borked. Everything is sped up by what seems like 500%...video runs really fast, sound is like Alvin and the chipmunks. Though humorous, exceedingly annoying.

To fix THIS, I tried new drivers/codecs for sound and mobo (again :p), ran sfc /scannow, nothing. System restore did nothing. I know enough about my computers to have my wits about me with them, but this is totally beyond my range of comprehension. Any input would be great.

Maybe......you could wipe everything and start from scratch, by formating your hardrive. Or try going to a computer repair store and asking them for any suggestions. I am not saying let them fix it but just ask for verbal help. With that nice system of yours, I think you may have a warranty or some kind of tech support, so contacting the manufacturer may be good.

Or while you're at the MPlayer site, try to download and reinstall the codecs.

Sorry, most of my computer problems I have fixed by reformating......involves less thinking!
Yap. Because thinking hurts badly, and it does even more if you understand the things you're doing. Oh my.

Resetting my codecs didn't work.

I'm not sure if this will affect suggestions, but it's not just things like media players that are sped up. Every single sound on the entire computer is sped up, from the annoying windows login to the bleep of an aim window to any song to any video game. However, video speed up is limited only to media players. Not sure if I conveyed that in my first post, but there ya go.

I'd really like to skip reformatting at this time if I can, so any way I could fix this would be great.

Archived