Home

300 (Pure movie pwnage!)

Negative Sun

You know at the screening of 300. Before the movie starts, during those lovely trailers that we get to watch before the film, there is suppose to be a new Spiderman 3 trailer coming out. :)

Though, I'm kinda of want to see Pirates III a bit more, but I want to see both a lot, nonetheless.

Anyway, everybody I talk to about this film and those who have seen the trailer for it, want to see. Including me, so I'm sure this film while to exception in theatres. ;)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair, it is based on the graphic novel which is based on the actual events. So if it is over the top (and it is), it is because the novel was so.

No harm, no foul I say. :)

lolz.... even with the "based on a graphic novel by Frank Miller at the start" ... Im just concerned that excitable and misinformed types will think it's akin to what may have actually happenned...300 muscular white guys killed 1,000,000 arabs :(

foul I say!

mtfbwya

lolz.... even with the "based on a graphic novel by Frank Miller at the start" ... Im just concerned that excitable and misinformed types will think it's akin to what may have actually happenned...300 muscular white guys killed 1,000,000 arabs :(

They don't win in the end, just like in the actual battle of Thermopylae. :xp:

Astro, the numbers were like 2.4 million... but only 100,000 or so actually participated in the battle, and even then at 10,000 numbers at a time.

But still, 300 > 10,000 is a good bit. Even if they are turtling in the mountains.

and also: Brad Pitt is a really good actor.

There's probably some measure of exaggeration in it, even in the historical texts...It did happen about 2500 years ago after all, a lot can happen to information in that time, you just have to look at small town gossip to know what I mean...

The Spartans are known as fearsome fighters though, I'm just saying the numbers might not be the most accurate.

I think the number 300 is correct, I'll look into it, but the all spartans died in that fight, but it lowered the number of soldiers in the the Persian army, and delayed them for days.

:EDIT:

Click Here From wiki about the movie, not very reliable, but better than nothing.

Click Here For some information about the Leader of the Spartans, Leonidas.

Click Here For some information about Sparta, also from wikipedia.

Click Here For details about the battle of Thermopylae, the battle featured in 300.

Hope this info is useful. :D

Sez you. Boromir's name is Sean Bean and that's that. :p

Supposedly there were actually about 7000 greeks, but after they discovered they'd been sold out most of them retreated. That left only the 300 Spartans and about 700 Thespians to hold the pass. The Persians, on the other hand, had anywhere from 400 000 troops to 2 641 000. Records are not too accurate, ehehe. Regardless of the actual number, they were hugely outnumbered so the film is gonna be great.

foul I say!

mtfbwya

Well, it does have monsters in it, so I'm not sure how accurate people are going to think it is. But if they do, well, that's their problem.

it would be a problem indeed...

This reminds me of an argument I had with my fathers wife about the movie Munich. I said "Munich is a good spy drama" she said "Munich is the worse movie because no one knows what really happened, it's all just lies" I replied "It is a movie, inspired by an actual event, it's not a documentary, it's as real as the James Bond movies. How accurate it is to the actual events is not the issue of it being a good movie or not" and she responded "This is a horrible movie filled with lies..." and the discussion ended because there was no point to keep it going.

300 is an action-adventure movie meant to entertain and neither Munich nor 300 are documentaries; but fanciful, entertaining interpretations of events long ago. They're just as real as Star Wars. So as long as they're not shown in school on the history lessons, then they're nothing to worry about. So let's just enjoy the ride.

I dunno...even I will concede that 300 and Munich are totally different... they way the movie is presented is a key factor. Munich isnt full of stylised visuals and direction, or monsters for that matter.

Now, if Munich had 'Based on the prejudices of Steven Spielberg' in the opening titles, then we'd know to take the story with a grain of salt, rather than wondering what parallels it has with the actual events that, unlike the Persian Wars, still within living memory.

mtfbwya

I dunno...even I will concede that 300 and Munich are totally different... they way the movie is presented is a key factor. Munich isnt full of stylised visuals and direction, or monsters for that matter.

Now, if Munich had 'Based on the prejudices of Steven Spielberg' in the opening titles, then we'd know to take the story with a grain of salt, rather than wondering what parallels it has with the actual events that, unlike the Persian Wars, still within living memory.

mtfbwya

But they remain movies and that's the key. Movies to entertain. Anyone with half a brain should have enough intelligence not to consider any of them a factual representation of real events.

What about the movie Gladiator then? Full of historical inaccuracies yet you wouldn't exactly know from the presentation. Same thing about the movie Miracle about the US' hockey team victory at the Lake Placid Winter Olympics which portrayed the Soviets as bloodthirsty killers, which of course is totally untrue.

You'll always have morons. No offense to montnoir's father's wife.

As for the accuracy in 300, since it's from a comic book...besides, there wasn't 1 000 000 Persian soldiers that day. It's quite possible that Greek historian Herodotus inflated the number to make it sound more glorious. From a military logistics perspective, 1 000 000 soldiers in that day and age seems impossible. It's less of an army and more of a huge mob.

By the way, for your personal education, Persians are not Arabs.

Sorry I can't give linkage, but I read an interview with Frank Miller where he said that rather than, (like say Troy) taking a myth and trying to sell it as real, he has taken a real event and made it into a myth. I thought that summed up 300 pretty well. It isn't historically accurate. It isn't even historical fiction. It's a simplified version of one of the more amazing battles in history.

For an amazing dose of historical fiction about this event, read Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield. One of the most amazingly touching and involving books I've ever read.

anyway, 300 the book rocked. 300 the movie will own you all

Well, I enjoyed the representation of Troy as a realistic (yet historically inaccurate) portrayal of the battle. I mean, even though I thought it might have been cool to have the gods actually fight in the battle, it was nice to have it from a strictly human perspective.

300 however, I think is going to be interesting because of the various beasties involved in the battle. Some guy had saw hands... and I think I saw a troll-ish man in there somewhere.

Holy crap that was amazing.

Did you see the quality of the battle choreography? Have they finally learned that breakaway filming and poorly spliced cuts for battles pisses off the masses?

I was actually catching details rather than the flash of a sword, the scream of some dude, the pained expression...it was like being there watching it rather than them trying to make you feel how frantic a battle is. You remain a spectator and are in awe at the spectacle.

God I hope other filmmakers pick up on this.

Archived