Home

300 (Pure movie pwnage!)

Negative Sun

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if anyone's heard of This.

I lol'ed at that... they act like Iran has always been Iran, and has always been Muslim... Islam wasnt even invented until several centuries after that particular battle. So for them to try and say were attacking iranian culture with a movie depicting a fantasy-version of Persia and Greece is ignorant.

Something interesting:

I was reading the Times of India yesterday, where they give two movie reviews: one from their critic and a number of quick SMS reviews sent by the viewers. Two of these "reviews", highlighted in all their glory caught my eye:

The movie is superb! The action scenes were awesome and Mel Gibson's acting is unparalleled. 300 rules!

An awesome half-artistic movie. Mel Gibson as that king was very realistic. Another excellent movie by an excellent guy!

Had me laughing in splits. :lol:

Alright, saw it. Here's my review.

I've read the graphic novel before, and from what I know the movie was a frame-to-frame adaptation. But there are certain glaring inaccuracies. Gorgo, for example, got too much screen time. In the novel, she's missing after Leonidas leaves for the Hot Gates. Spending all that time for more battles would have been great. :xp:

I really can't get enough of the battles. They were slick, stylish and the slow-mo/zoom effects were just right. :D But they were too short, IMO. I wouldn't have minded a little more Persian-bashing. Also, the movie didn't end up being as stylish as I expected it to be. :D

Finally, what the hell is up with those freaky Persians? Xerxes' chamber looks like a Leper Orgy, his Immortals look like take a acid shower and what is it with that executioner?!

Finally, what the hell is up with those freaky Persians? Xerxes' chamber looks like a Leper Orgy, his Immortals look like take a acid shower and what is it with that executioner?!

I have exactly the same questions, specially about the executioner, i mean, was it/he/she/thingy a genetic freak of nature? Or was it/he/she/thingy some surgically prepared creation? Either way, I couldn't finish my dinner that day.

Yeah, I agree that the executioner looks like something that crawled out of Doom, as well as that ogre-thingy that was with those Immortals that got themselves slaughtered, but overall I think the movie is great. After all, it was based on a graphic novel (that was based on a historical event), so even with many historical accuracies - the Spartans' battle techniques (exaggerated, I know, but still), the Spartans being betrayed by one of their own who lead the enemy through the back road, the ''return with your shield, or on it'' saying, etc - we have to endure some gruesome fantasy stuff in Frank Miller's style.

I've recently seen the movie 300, and well, I loathed it.

True the fighting scenes and battles were neat, and the humor was minor.

But the nudity & sexual scenes /completely/ ruined the movie for me.

It started out pretty interesting, and then they had to go straight into showing sex, nudity, etc. very disappointing. Unlike most of you, I was not pleased with this movie - and I never want to see it again, really.

I saw the movie and it's pretty close to the graphic novel of good old Frank Miller who's tallent for writing always took me away in every novel. Because I am also a great fan of Greek antique civilisation and because I was given the nickname of Spartan in college football for it signification, after Gladiator and Troy, it's now my favorite movie and will stay for a long time I think.

Why, because I recently saw Spiderman 3 trailer and I sens a deception like X3 and Tranformer the movie doesn't look like it will be good too. Mr Bay did a bizare interpretation of Optimus and Megatron and it's not because Spilberg is in credits it make a movie better as I found recently. Sorry if I offended people on this one but how it appear to and as I always say: it's just my opinion.

True the fighting scenes and battles were neat, and the humor was minor.

But the nudity & sexual scenes /completely/ ruined the movie for me.

True. I've just seen the movie today and I've found the female exposure a bit limited to sex content.

But the movie, although with some flaws, was pretty good for me.

the movie wasnt as great as the trailer. i've put high expectation on it but it turned to be...well, bad. the fighting scenes are great, so?...the script is crap!! for such movie there should be "royal"-"old"-"wise" speech not ---" Wow. That is generous. But you see, there is a problem. Slaughtering so many of your men today, has left an awful cramp in my leg and thus kneeling will be difficult"---this line should be in a modern movie not an epic one...and i have to agree, the sexual scenes ruined the movie for me too.

Hmm didnt they say this movie was targeted at children originally? Seems to me that they were targeting horny teenage boys:

sex scenes

naked girls

violence

a script that allows you to turn your mind off and just watch

more violence

hammy acting

action scenes that are more eye candy than anything else.

yes, more violence (lol)

Hmm didnt they say this movie was targeted at children originally? Seems to me that they were targeting horny teenage boys:

I disagree. As Moeller said it was rated R (but I think it should've been more restricted). The people at the movies really make sure they have an adult with them, including their ID. When I went two boys were trying to get in, it was funny actually.

You could tell that the nudity was majorly fake, but it was still entirelly wrong.

They weren't targeting the teenagers as much as the teenagers were targeting it ;)

for such movie there should be "royal"-"old"-"wise" speech not ---" Wow. That is generous. But you see, there is a problem. Slaughtering so many of your men today, has left an awful cramp in my leg and thus kneeling will be difficult"---this line should be in a modern movie not an epic one...

Didn't Alexander, Troy and other nameless "epic" movies tried the philosophical route and it turns out people just wanted blood?

I don't understand your reasoning. Were people back then inherently more serious? Didn't they make jokes? Couldn't they be sarcastic and arrogant?

People talk about the sex content. Agreed that the sex scenes involving Gorgo made little sense, at least the first one. The dancing oracle wasn't that bad and if you focused more on the body movements then the nipples, as I assume you're all adults, considering it's R rated, something you should be able to do. It's some sort of psychedelic dance. I thought it was pretty nice.

As for the harem...well...it's a harem...that's what is in a harem...

I heard it on the radio when it was first released that warner bros had originally intended on marketing it to kids (so they say).

I still say it was more of an eye-candy movie rather than anything totally serious or even factual (like some supposed-iranians whine about).

Archived