Home

General Questions on Writing

machievelli

some people have english as different languages :p

and younger people may not understand punctuation as much!

i love english, and ive tried to perfect it - and even i make mistakes.

Some people have English as a different language, and younger people may not understand punctuation as well. I love English and I've tried to perfect it, and even I make mistakes.

...sorry. :p

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ideas in my head always turn out not as good on paper.

my imagination is wild though. :D

I understand this. I often can imagine a scene as if I were watching the story unfold, but articulating the subtle gestures and facial expressions along with the story is difficult. I could almost see every scene from my Yuthura Ban story in my head, but I could not imagine anyone else seeing what I imagine based on my descriptions.

Even the rate at which words are said and the emotion behind them could make all the difference between a story that is told and one that touches the reader. Simply getting the dialog written is difficult, but using the right words to describe how the dialog is said... that takes skill.

I try to diversify the words I used as well. Instead of using 'he said' after every quote, I would use 'he shrieked' 'explained' 'asked' 'growled' 'wailed' 'commanded' 'shouted' 'requested' 'cried out' 'sobbed' 'interrupted' 'objected'

When one diversifies the words used to describe quotes, it almost defines the emotion or the situation behind the one saying it. This may not sound like much, but I find this to be critical to many of the best stories I've read.

very true.

I hate the word 'said', so i try to use as many synonyms as possible.

also, I can't use the same word more than once unless it's not got a wide range of synonyms. It frustrates me and makes me feel as if the story isn't complete, or good. which, I guess, it probably wouldn't be.

I love using different ways of describing things in my story - sometimes you've got to be adventurous with descriptions, and take the risk that it may or may not make sense to the reader. ^^

Some people have English as a different language, and younger people may not understand punctuation as well. I love English and I've tried to perfect it, and even I make mistakes.

...sorry. :p

pfft, it's a conversation not a story. :p

I like action-packed stories with lots of uber ship vs uber ship fighting. :xp:

Dogfighting? How could you write dogfighting without using lots of jargon? I may know what a split-S, inverted vertical reveresment, and lo Yoyo... do you know about these terms? These are what you would expect with ship-to-ship fighting. Do you mean this?

You don't need to use that much technical jargon to write decent dog-fights. Read the X-wing series -- they're completely understandable to your average non-pilot.

Agreed. I've only written one dogfight, and I didn't need a ton of technical terms.

I understand this. I often can imagine a scene as if I were watching the story unfold, but articulating the subtle gestures and facial expressions along with the story is difficult. I could almost see every scene from my Yuthura Ban story in my head, but I could not imagine anyone else seeing what I imagine based on my descriptions.

Even the rate at which words are said and the emotion behind them could make all the difference between a story that is told and one that touches the reader. Simply getting the dialog written is difficult, but using the right words to describe how the dialog is said... that takes skill.

I try to diversify the words I used as well. Instead of using 'he said' after every quote, I would use 'he shrieked' 'explained' 'asked' 'growled' 'wailed' 'commanded' 'shouted' 'requested' 'cried out' 'sobbed' 'interrupted' 'objected'

When one diversifies the words used to describe quotes, it almost defines the emotion or the situation behind the one saying it. This may not sound like much, but I find this to be critical to many of the best stories I've read.

Yes! I can see so much of it in my head, but it is just so hard to write it down. I see something on TV or in a book or game, and I just get a chapter flowing in my head. It just never comes out as good as I would want it to on paper or when typing it. :(

You don't need to use that much technical jargon to write decent dog-fights. Read the X-wing series -- they're completely understandable to your average non-pilot.

Yes, that is true, but I think that it could always help. :xp:

Well, my romanian teacher- romanian is my mother language- always says that if you want your creations to be as you want in your head, read as much as possible, so you can see diversity in language and in the written way of expression...

I should start reading books in english =/

I should start reading books in english =/
Yes, you should. You'd be missing out on countless awesomesauce books if you don't.

Well, personally, I like to see a polished fic, and by this I mean minimal typos, punctuation and grammatical errors. I have virtually nonexistent typing skills, and hence make a ridiculous amount of typos, but if I can take the time and effort to proofread my fics, others can too! :p

Besides that, good characters can make or break a fic. There's two extremes for me; either I feel that I know a character inside out, or that I can never predict what a character is going to do.

Referring to TheExile's first post, inserting banal elements in the first half of a fic may simply turn off readers. Do keep in mind that a lot of us have Darth RealLife breathing down our necks, and thus would rather limit our reading time to fics which are original and interesting. Ergo, such a plot device may backfire severely. It's good to have a twist here and there, but don't go overboard with the illogical thingamajig.

I could suffer through a familiar plot if the author puts a different spin on events, or has really great style.

If you've read the things I write, I never use much jargon besides 'fore, aft, starboard, port' and whatnot of naval speak. I never liked starfighter dogfights. I always loved Giant, agile uber ship vs infinite fleet of giant uber ships action. Lots of huge explosions, crazy manuevers, extremely overexaggerated ships... :xp:

The occaisonal friend of the hero getting killed and then the hero going crazy and blowing everything up in a heroic, tactically rediculous way... :p You could say I have little taste for intricate stories, although I do enjoy a very detailed and balanced story once in awhile...

That's probably why I don't reply to many other fanfics much... I simply prefer the stories I've created myself, because they are the most exciting to me... And a lot of other ones.. simply aren't my style. Same with many other authors I bet, as for preferring their stories over others because it moreover means something to them... *shrugs*

I don't want to come off as arrogant, self-centered, or narrow-veiwed about what I prefer in a story though, so please don't take this the wrong way...

Since when is anything original nowadays? ;)

It needs: A good plot twist, and plenty of detail.

They're the main things in my book.

Oh, I've had original ideas... it's just most people are too lazy :xp:

People probably thought originality was out, in the Medieval times... but that's just because that's all they knew.

I rather like character conflict. Even close friends frequently fight about very trivial issues. When you've got arguments and debates, you can expand on the characters you have in the story.

In my Yuthura story, she frequently is defiant and hostile towards others, but I try to portray HER perspective on an issue... even when she's wrong. I find that it is a greater story when the writer can make the reader see through the eyes of the characters. We all see the same events, but often come to different truths. The best authors are those that can explain why conflict is inevitable.

• 2 months later...

In my RP Star Wars: The Sith Resurrection Part IV: Alliances Divided, Tython is attacked by invaders from the Unknown Regions, and I erroneously stated that the planet is on the borders of known space, only to find out recently that Tython is actually in the Deep Core. It's impossible to retcon the attack, so I'm wondering if there's anything capable of moving a planet that could explain the discrepancy.

Archived