Home

kotf

azimnj

^^

I'm guessing he meant "caught downloading" instead of "caught playing" (with all the new regulations of internet material and all). That or the cops in Australia are quite insane.

Anyway, downloading the mod would be legal. It's like the Time Warner vs YouTube thing. They can sue YouTube itself, but would they sue every person on earth who saw some Warner copyrighted material on youtube?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the most, what he does is unethical if he is indeed using other people's material, but he isn't technically doing anything illegal, a lot of freeware sites ask for donations, and that's all he's doing...

Is it a scam? I dunno, the trailer looks sweet and all, but it's just a trailer...

Do I really care? No, in the end it's up to the individual to decide what they think is right or not, I actually don't think I would play it since I'm not a big fan of mods that calibre, I'd rather get a simple TC or extra missions (like the Escape from Yavin mod) or just a fun SP mod (Yoda SP rules!)

yes but you forget the fact that it is destroying modders here in jka community.they might say oh we got disrespected and walk off if tim keeps on stealing maps and models.he should star donations AFTER the mod is finished so it could stay.the trailer doesnt prove anything.i think its used for personal use.hey daniel,on your sig,the image of the clone commander,look at the information about it.he copied it off star wars com

http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/clonetroopers/index.html

He copied it off starwars.com because maybe he was not so keen on it- hold on he is a copyrighter because if thats the same he claims that whole thing was almost all done by himself all of the infomation on it but no he did not do it all by himself so that means he copyrighted how slack is that and he says its all hes work but really it isnt they is just so slack on star wars and also its slack for him to use other peoples work and not tell us who did them because l notest that when l would look at the read-me all he says is just he did this and he did that so that means he lied alot because 2 things:

*he did not ask for permission off the actul person who made it

*and he said it was all hes work so come on well come to think of it-

He is so slack like it would be impossible to actully make a mod that big and not have anyone else helping him well you can see l have turned to the side of where l dont agree with tim

He copied it off starwars.com because maybe he was not so keen on it- hold on he is a copyrighter because if thats the same he claims that whole thing was almost all done by himself all of the infomation on it but no he did not do it all by himself so that means he copyrighted how slack is that and he says its all hes work but really it isnt they is just so slack on star wars and also its slack for him to use other peoples work and not tell us who did them because l notest that when l would look at the read-me all he says is just he did this and he did that so that means he lied alot because 2 things:

*he did not ask for permission off the actul person who made it

*and he said it was all hes work so come on well come to think of it-

He is so slack like it would be impossible to actully make a mod that big and not have anyone else helping him well you can see l have turned to the side of where l dont agree with tim.

Well IF kotf ever comes out and you have to pay $$$ to get it then that would be highly illegal . . . . . he shouldn't be making money off of it, after all JA is not his game and modding stuff is suppossed to be free . . . .

I've done a lot of searching and they way it looks to me I pretty much found all the characters and levels pretty much on the Jedi Academy Filefront place . . .

yeah, yeah if kotf comes out there will be some "cool" features but if I have to pay, no way I am going to get it.

Well IF kotf ever comes out and you have to pay $$$ to get it then that would be highly illegal . . . . . . .

yeah, yeah if kotf comes out there will be some "cool" features but if I have to pay, no way I am going to get it.

What makes you think you would have to pay for it? He's only asked for donations, and you certainly aren't being forced to do that.

I do think it's a scam, and I will most likely not be downloading it, but I don't think it's illegal, only unethical.

What I meant to say was IF we had to pay . . . . . not saying we will but if money is involved forget it . . . . and about those donations, why on earth would he need any money?? To buy better programs?, have more money in his bank? I dunno, If I was making a mod I would not ask for donations or even want money in the process in any way.

I understand Mods take a LONG time to do well but how long has this kotf deal been worked on? since 2004??

What makes you think you would have to pay for it? He's only asked for donations, and you certainly aren't being forced to do that.

I do think it's a scam, and I will most likely not be downloading it, but I don't think it's illegal, only unethical.

I definetly agree with you EagerWeasel

From first glance, this mod does look quite well done. However, you can tell that some of the characters ( Darth Vader, Luke) aren't new as advertised. I'm not a modder, and don't not the legal aspects behind them, but I would say the least he should have to do is credit them. His website does credit people, but still says he made almost all of it. I'm not going to download this because 1.) I feel it's immoral to have people pay donations, yet never release the actual product, 2.) I feel this ruins JA. Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was made for the adventures of Kyle Katarn and Jaden Korr....

• 4 weeks later...

Well if I have to pay guess again i'm not because this jackass copyed of peoples mods and everything made the. Blood comand and realistic combat aloows all levles for jka which is stupid that jerk should be going to jail and sued because 2003 to 7 come on

supose to be realeasid 2 monuths ago Jerk.

I tried joining the forums today, but, "Due to massive registrations that we're suffering, we've decided to filter new users. Any new created user will be authorized to enter the forum after the mod is released. However your new created accounts won't be deleted so after the mod is released you'll be able to use them. " - Maestro Obi-Wan

------------

KotF Forum Administrator

I really wanted to see if this was for real or not. I'm not sure why someone would create a website,banners, trailers, and pay for those forums, just for a hoax. I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just wondering what he has planned. Then again, those donations can be paying for all that, without a cent out of his pocket.

Well, I am a lower ranking staff: I can only say wait. We are doing those to stop the flame wars inside our own forums out. For now that it "may" be released, we (kotf staff) have to try to get rid of flamers untill the mod is released. Which should be soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you.

~Luke Katarn~

Forget It!

May the 25th Release Date? It's now the 30th. Forget this dude, he's already messed people about by missing about 12 supposed 'release dates' over the years. I was a believer, but not anymore - HE IS EVEN STILL ASKING FOR DONATIONS! Follow every one else's advice, this is a SCAM; don't hold your breath for a release - the only reason he asks for 'donations' is so he can't get prosecuted for receiving money for a modification of a game licence he obviously doesn't own and is thus successfully fleecing naiive kids whilst avoiding the law. Also, trying to contact him via email is pointless, he won't return the email; besides most of the work isn't even his which makes the fact of his 'donations' even worse.

If you want a good mod for JA try OJP, JA+ or the Dark Forces project, forget this faker.

-GK

Well I have news for you in 3 words. We have pics!

:twogun:

I ain't disputing that - i've seen all the screenshots and all the 'ultimate trailer' and it looks very impressive, but you surely can see my point of view when 'Tim' promises a release date and doesn't realise it (has happened on more than one occassion) and quite frankly it pees off a lot of people. A lot of people view it as a scam for this very core reason - FALSE RELEASE DATES; i really can't make it any clearer to you!

Tim really promised people this time round in time for the 30th anniversary celebrations of Star Wars. The fact that fans and long-time followers of this mod have been lied to yet again to what is an important occassion for a lot of people is quite insulting and therefore i feel that before long a lot of people would have lost interest completely in the mod so if it is ever to be 'released' (insert dubious expression here! :lol: ) there would not be much of a fan-base and thus 4 years of 'hard work' on the mod have been for nothin'.

In short - THE PICS MEAN NOTHING UNTIL THE MOD IS RELEASED!

P.S. Before anyone calls me ungrateful for such a 'wonderful' piece of work i need to make a few points of clear:

(1). A lot of the work isn't Tim's - a lot of it was 'contributed'.

(2). I don't consider myself a modder and so am not by any means saying that i could do better (although atleast i would actually release a mod).

(3). Any person whom wastes 4 years of work to just not release it needs a new hobby (why release the demo - admittedly very good - and no final product?)

(4). Skipping release dates again and again is bound to just wind up the crowd.

I agree with your points, I think that:

A: Yes tim is being stupid for not releasing it.

B: You are a ex-KOTF'er and your angry.

More disappointed than angry, it's just a game after all; i'd like to see it happen still but from now won't be holding my breath.

Archived