Home

What kind of LucasArts titles do you prefer?

Thrik

What kind of LucasArts titles do you prefer?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of LucasArts titles do you prefer?

• Star Wars! I love those films, and their games too -- can't get enough
    • Original titles, please! LucasArts needs to develop new killer properties

A fact many aren't aware of is that LucasArts was originally set up to specifically develop and nurture new intellectual properties other than Star Wars, resulting in many original titles during the early years that went on to become classics. In fact, no Star Wars games were developed at all during the aforementioned early years despite the films being a resounding success.

This is clearly not the case anymore. Do you think LucasArts should continue developing continual Star Wars titles, or should new properties be developed that expand the company's portfolio and open up their games to new audiences as the likes of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion once did?

As much as I like Indiana Jones and such, I can't help but worry that LucasArts relies too heavily on its classic licenses such as that and Star Wars. Star Wars in particular is clearly a huge cash cow, but we're talking about over 50 games here. You only have to look at the game database to see how the company portfolio has gradually transitioned from producing truly stellar original titles to pretty much developing none at all; it's almost comical how many times "Star Wars:" appears in the more recent years.

Does LucasArts need to evolve or die? I think it needs to, even if there will always be a small place for Star Wars. There's only so long the same license/universe can appeal to somebody, and after dozens of games it has to be wearing thin for a lot of people.

I like the Star Wars titles. But, I also am interested in the Indiana Jones game too. But, I'd prefer them to focus on good/great games for Star Wars rather than expanding their games to other things. Like Thrillville, I haven't seen it available anywhere. Plus the systems it is available on, aren't as popular as they used to be.

I'll stick with the Star Wars titles.

Personally I'm only interested in the Star Wars titles LucasArts produces, and really only the ones for PC at that.

From a business perspective though LucasArts would be wise to diversify their gaming portfolio. It's as simple as the old adage "don't keep all your eggs in one basket." ;) But LucasArts has become more a staid developer/publisher. And with Jim Ward at the helm I'm not sure there will be a whole lot of room at LA for serious creative license and the risk-taking that is required to support such activity. His style seems more along the lines of "build off what you have" rather than "let's try building something new."

I started as a Star Wars gaming fan around 1993, but after playing Full Throttle and the first Sam and Max (and moving from rabid SW obsession to more a distanced appreciation in, let's say, junior high). I love the old adventure games, and I love a lot of the Star Wars games too. Having said that, I voted for originals, but I honestly don't really trust LucasArts to back up original titles after many half-ass attempts and cancellations during the past few years.

But let's face some facts: The people who made the good original games in the 1990s have quit or been fired years ago, and the good Star Wars games are typically (and rightfully) outsourced to other developers.

Yeah, sorry. LucasArts didn't make those games you love. Not Jedi Outcast or Academy (Raven), and not KotOR or KotOR 2 (BioWare and Obsidian). They didn't make X-Wing, TIE Fighter, or their offspring (Totally Games), or the Rogue Squadron series (Factor 5). It seems like Lucasfilm could have saved a step and just licensed the games directly to these companies rather than going through their game publisher.

What makes a LucasArts title these days? A few meetings and a QA team? For LucasArts to focus on making one type of game or another, they'll have to start making games, period.

(I think I'm fired.)

For LucasArts to focus on making one type of game or another, they'll have to start making games, period.
Agreed and LucasArts has started on that path though it sounds like it may be the reverse of how it worked back in LA's heady adventure game making days, with LA making games for its own IP and publishing other developer's IP. Also you didn't mention well-loved LA-developed titles like Dark Forces, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, and Republic Commando.

Since Jim Ward took over he got GL to buy into his business plan to ramp up LA's development staff so LA can make more games on their own. The Force Unleashed and the new Indiana Jones game are both being internally developed at LucasArts. I've also heard that LucasArts has a development team dedicated to producing new IP games. Time will tell how things turn out but I don't think there is any question that LucasArts will be doing more actual game development than they have in the past several years.

I'm very torn. I love Star Wars, and some of the games (KOTOR!) have been fantastic. But I'm a huge fan of adventure gaming, and fondly remember playing the Monkey Island series, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, etc..

I don't see why LucasArts can't do both types of games. I'd love to see a resurgence of adventure games. They're still probably my favorite genre, and sorely lacking these days.

But if we can get KOTOR:3 first, that'd be cool. ;)

Personally, I'd like it to expand onto different things. They used to be innovative, now they're just in it for the money. I'm trying to put my cynicism towards them aside here, but frankly, it doesn't look to promising. All I can really say is, new properties would be great if they had the talent to pull it off.

Well, right now, obviously, Star Wars is the best coming from them with such titles as "Thrillville" coming out now, original titles are pretty bad. I voted for original titles b/c I was referring to their adventure games of the golden days...now, Star Wars games are on top. The SW games were always great, I just had a lot more fun w/ games like Grim Fandango, Indy Jones: FOA, etc...but oh well, I guess those days are gone. Telltale is great about bringing Sam and Max back.

• 1 year later...

Archived