Home

Problems running Kotor or TSL in Vista....

stingerhs

Just a little update on my problem, turns out right after you get Canderous in your party there's a cutscene, and for some reason any time the game has a cutscene it minimizes, sending me back to the desktop, and I have to wait a few minutes before maximising it again or it'll crash.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a similar issue, here's what I did:

1. Uninstall the game.

2. Insert Disc 1 and run the installer in XP compatibility mode and with Administrator privileges.

3. Follow the install procedure.

4. Update the game to the latest patch.

5. Download the mss32.dll file here and replace the one in your TSL directory with it.

6. Run the game in XP compatibility mode and Administrator privileges.

=====

It may also help to turn video and sound options down to a low/medium setting.

:)

thanks. All i needed was the new dll. thanks again :)

I have discovered a new development on Creative Labs' end.. If you are running on 64-bit and 4GB or more of RAM, their drivers (at least for Audigy2 ZS) don't fully support it and their beta is fairly unstable.

Problem:

At random points throughout the game (Combat, cut-scenes, movies, loading screens, etc..) the game stops responding and (after ending task) delivers a beautiful BlueScreenOfDeath with BCCode 76 which turned out to be related to Creative drivers.

Work around:

If you don't wish to remove your memory or change your OS, you can download the unstable beta version of the driver and end the task from the processes tab and not the applications tab. This will only cause you to shutdown the game and very rarely get a BSOD.

Advice:

Save often. I think I'll be playing off my laptop most of the time until Creative releases a final driver to support more than 4GB of memory with their sound cards (how it can't anyways is beyond me).

Ive had so many problems with TSL on vista..

1. Sound: Easy Sorta just replace the file given in the first post...Thx for that :)

2. New Game: When I started a game my game stops responding...Patched the game

3, Loads: My loading stopped working...Had to reinstall game...had to do 1&2 again

4. Cheats: My cheats dont work no solution so far its described in my help thread

EDIT: Due to this I made a new sig :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you have problem with running K1 or TSL on Vista, you could try this.

Open your control panel - programs - programs and fetures.

Here you have this option:

Use an older program with this version of windows.

And then just follow the Program Compatibility Wizard.

You can do this for installing from CD or local.

Enjoy your game :clap2:

Okay, after much trial and tribulation I have both KotOR and TSL running on my fancy new Vista laptop, and I can even run most of my mods on it. Yee-ha...

Except for one very small, very weird bit. I have a wide-screen laptop, and neither game works that well in full-screen mode. Easy then, we go ahead and switch the ini file to enable windowed mode.

And this is when I find that my swkotor.ini file is locked. I'm on a Vista Admin user, I've made sure it's not Read-Only, but every time I try to change anything on the INI and save it, I get a rather nasty "Access Denied" error-message.

Anyone ever see this before?

Okay, after much trial and tribulation I have both KotOR and TSL running on my fancy new Vista laptop, and I can even run most of my mods on it. Yee-ha...

Except for one very small, very weird bit. I have a wide-screen laptop, and neither game works that well in full-screen mode. Easy then, we go ahead and switch the ini file to enable windowed mode.

And this is when I find that my swkotor.ini file is locked. I'm on a Vista Admin user, I've made sure it's not Read-Only, but every time I try to change anything on the INI and save it, I get a rather nasty "Access Denied" error-message.

Anyone ever see this before?

Okay, nevermind. I got it. Man, it looks great, but Vista is a grade-1 pain in the but.

*sigh* OK, here we go.

At the end of TSL, in the Trayus Academy, I keep finding these invisble enemies. And I don't mean stealthed, I mean they're just not visible at all. Thing is, I can't attack them because the game thinks of them as friendles. Instead of them being highlighted red they are highlighted green. If I DO try and attack them, the game crashes.

This makes the last part of the game kind of hard, as I either have to be very careful about who I attack, or just run through the entire area without attacking anyone.

Please halp?

• 2 weeks later...
I had a similar issue, here's what I did:

1. Uninstall the game.

2. Insert Disc 1 and run the installer in XP compatibility mode and with Administrator privileges.

3. Follow the install procedure.

4. Update the game to the latest patch.

5. Download the mss32.dll file here and replace the one in your TSL directory with it.

6. Run the game in XP compatibility mode and Administrator privileges.

=====

It may also help to turn video and sound options down to a low/medium setting.

:)

Okay, I've been having the same problems most others are having: Vista, NVIDIA, and TSL not playing nice with each other. I've kinda figured (I have practically no computer sense at all) that I should do the above. The only problem I have is that I've got no clue how to run the installer in XP compatability mode or Admin priviledges. I also don't think I'd know how to run the game in XP compatability mode, but I do think I can do that part with Admin. Any help?

Also, if it helps: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT and Vista 32-Bit.

EDIT: Actually, the only thing I need to know now is where to put the mss32.dll file and I'll hopefully be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Have installed and run Kotor on new machine w/Vista (unfortunate, I know). Haven't gotten off Taris yet (beyond using D333s warp band) so don't know what problems I may yet encounter. So far, can't get cheat console to work (only need it to "turbo" the game, mods and KSE take care of anything else). I've noticed that the KOTOR cutscene fixer mod doesn't work (on my machine anyway), but got around that probelm using D's warper. Does anyone know which mods don't seem to work on Vista for KOTOR (1)? If so, which ones? Also have Nvidia 7300 GS OC and Pent. DCP E2180 and Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950(if that should prove relevant).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im having trouble running TSL on my computer. I have windows Vista and I recently got a new computer. However when i start the program it says that something went wrong and the program had to close. When I run a scan of my requirements it says that my memory and video card are out of date but I have more memory than what it says and my video drivers/card are up to date. I would send one of those dxdiag files but I cant seem to find the program to do that on my computer. Anyways it seems to be the problem everyone else is having. I also tried it in compatibility mode with no sucess and also used run as adminstrator. I also had trouble installing the game previously so I dont want to risk uninstalling it.

Im having trouble running TSL on my computer. I have windows Vista and I recently got a new computer. However when i start the program it says that something went wrong and the program had to close. When I run a scan of my requirements it says that my memory and video card are out of date but I have more memory than what it says and my video drivers/card are up to date. I would send one of those dxdiag files but I cant seem to find the program to do that on my computer. Anyways it seems to be the problem everyone else is having. I also tried it in compatibility mode with no sucess and also used run as adminstrator. I also had trouble installing the game previously so I dont want to risk uninstalling it.

Have you tried the Windows Vista Fix?

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/TSL_Windows_Vista_Fix;85439

I'm sorry to post this but when I try to run my game it tells me that my graphics card driver is out of date and I need to get an updated driver. But I cannot find one for the card I have.

I have a duely laptop. The graphics card I use is ATI Radeon X1270 Color:32 Bpp running on Windows Vista.

I was wondering if anyone had this problem or knows how I can download a new driver. I've even tried on the ATI/Radeon web site but have been unable to locate one.

Have you tried the Windows Vista Fix?

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef...ista_Fix;85439

Yeah I did, it had trouble extracting the files. I beleive I was able to extract them but when I replaced the ones in the KOTOR 2 folder with the new ones the program still wouldnt load the game when I got to the start up menu. I still was told the program needed to close and that my specs still werent up to date. Since I had the trouble extracting the files im wondering if I extracted them all sucessfully or if they were recognized by the game. There was some kind of .ini file and a readme. I also got that new version of the msg32.dll (or whatever its called) file and that didnt work either.

Yeah I did, it had trouble extracting the files. I beleive I was able to extract them but when I replaced the ones in the KOTOR 2 folder with the new ones the program still wouldnt load the game when I got to the start up menu. I still was told the program needed to close and that my specs still werent up to date. Since I had the trouble extracting the files im wondering if I extracted them all sucessfully or if they were recognized by the game. There was some kind of .ini file and a readme. I also got that new version of the msg32.dll (or whatever its called) file and that didnt work either.

For the Vista fix, there should have only been 1 file in the zip file, which was the .dll file. The one with the ini? I have no idea what that's about.

Are you running any mods, or have you modified the executable file or the .ini at all? Sometimes people may have trouble when they patch the game to make it run in widescreen. I had that problem at one stage.

KoToR 2 on my computer also tells me that my graphics card doesn't meet the minimum requirements. This is the for the poster above you as well. I'm running a HD3870, so it's more than capable of running the game. I don't know much about that at this point, but I'm currently in contact with ATI trying to fix the problem.

For the Vista fix, there should have only been 1 file in the zip file, which was the .dll file. The one with the ini? I have no idea what that's about.

It keeps saying I cant extract/open the .dll file when I try to use 7zip to put it in the KOTOR2 folder.

Are you running any mods, or have you modified the executable file or the .ini at all? Sometimes people may have trouble when they patch the game to make it run in widescreen. I had that problem at one stage.

I dont have any mods and the only changes I made to the executable was I tried it in compatibility mode and tried to run it as an administrator. I did patch the game to the 1.0b patch but I dont play it in widescreen.

KoToR 2 on my computer also tells me that my graphics card doesn't meet the minimum requirements. This is the for the poster above you as well. I'm running a HD3870, so it's more than capable of running the game. I don't know much about that at this point, but I'm currently in contact with ATI trying to fix the problem.

My game says both the memory and the video card dont meet the requirements.

It keeps saying I cant extract/open the .dll file when I try to use 7zip to put it in the KOTOR2 folder.

Hmm... I'm stumped on that one then. Perhaps you should check the permissions of the folders you're trying to extract to?

Also, I suggest that you turn off the User Accounts Control. My Vista experience has definitely improved after I've turned it off.

I dont have any mods and the only changes I made to the executable was I tried it in compatibility mode and tried to run it as an administrator. I did patch the game to the 1.0b patch but I dont play it in widescreen.

Well that rules any modding problems out.

My game says both the memory and the video card dont meet the requirements.

This is a problem I'm seeing more of on these boards. I'll take a wild guess and say that some of the new hardware peope are putting in to their computers is too advanced for KoToR 2 to detect.

Hmm... I'm stumped on that one then. Perhaps you should check the permissions of the folders you're trying to extract to?

Also, I suggest that you turn off the User Accounts Control. My Vista experience has definitely improved after I've turned it off.

Im not entirely sure how to do either of these as im relatively new to Vista.

Im not entirely sure how to do either of these as im relatively new to Vista.

With the User Accout Control, check out this site:

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

Go down to Method 4, which is doing it via the Control Panel.

As for permissions with the folder, I'll have to look in to this when I get home tomorrow afternoon. You have to right click the folder and go in to properties, and go from there.

With the User Accout Control, check out this site:

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

Go down to Method 4, which is doing it via the Control Panel.

As for permissions with the folder, I'll have to look in to this when I get home tomorrow afternoon. You have to right click the folder and go in to properties, and go from there.

I disabled the UAC, unsurprisingly KOTOR 2 still wont load, I still get that program must close because of error message. I found the permissions thing in the properties tab but I dont know how to proceed from there.

Edit: I managed to get the game working finally, not sure how long its gonna last. When I disabled the UAC I tried to extract the patch for the vista update and it worked this time and when I replaced the file the game was able to launch sucessfully. I also used win xp sp 2 compatibility mode.

Archived