Home

Man, I hate to do this...

Hannibal

I disagree. The plot of TSL was much, much better. It's such a crying shame they didn't get to finish it :mad:

I agree K1 was more a plain vanilla Good Vs. Evil with a plot twist. TSL was more about what it means to be a Jedi.

So far as Bioware is concerned. It took them 10 years, 6 games and 5 expansion packs before they had enough clout to make their own IP game. OE has only done 2 games with 2 more in development. OE has the same core group that made Planescape: Torment and the Fallout series. Both of which are highly rated RPGs.

So far as Bioware is concerned. It took them 10 years, 6 games and 5 expansion packs before they had enough clout to make their own IP game. OE has only done 2 games with 2 more in development. OE has the same core group that made Planescape: Torment and the Fallout series. Both of which are highly rated RPGs.

There's something to be said though about experience in the business.. of the 2 games OE has spear-headed.. both have MANY flaws. Maybe if OE actually took some time to see a project complete.. my opinion will differ. NWN2 clearly suffers towards the end.. as does TSL.

I am not impressed with OE's track record so far... so much as to have to take a double look to see if I really want to purchase anything produced by them in the future..

Fool me once, shame on you.. fool me twice.. and I'll start reading labels ;)

There's something to be said though about experience in the business.. of the 2 games OE has spear-headed.. both have MANY flaws. Maybe if OE actually took some time to see a project complete.. my opinion will differ. NWN2 clearly suffers towards the end.. as does TSL.

I am not impressed with OE's track record so far... so much as to have to take a double look to see if I really want to purchase anything produced by them in the future..

Fool me once, shame on you.. fool me twice.. and I'll start reading labels ;)

While I agree that OE needs to take part of the blame. Both games were rushed by the producing companies (LA, Atari) for profit reasons. In the Atari case, it was to stay afloat financially.

While I agree that OE needs to take part of the blame. Both games were rushed by the producing companies (LA, Atari) for profit reasons. In the Atari case, it was to stay afloat financially.
Whatever the reason, I think OE has gotten off to a rocky start as a development company. It's good they have a couple of Sega titles to work on. Hopefully they'll be able to provide a better showing with those.

Over on the Bioware forums their mods have stated, directly in response to the OXM article, that Bioware is not currently in the process of developing KotOR nor do they have any plans of engaging in development of such a game in the future. Obviously they could be in denial for legal/contractural reasons, but IMO it seem genuine.

As for developing their own intellectual properties I've seen them state that that's what they are interested in "right now" but to my recollection they've never stated that they would never do work based on someone else's property again.

Anyway, since Obsidian is not working on the game, and it's very likely Bioware is not as well, it seems safe to say that the game is not being worked on. My hope is that some employees involved in the previous games have done some of the story development, writing, conceptual design, etc. out of personal interests so that when somebody picks up development that the initial phases of the project can be expedited. Of course, that's just wishful thinking on my part.

BTW, I'd rather Obsidian do it than Bioware. This can't really be justified in any way, but I get an arrogant "we know better than you" vibe from Bioware these days (somewhat justified given the successes of BG, NWN 1, and KotOR 1). Obsidian generally feels a lot more "blue collar" to me, and that, IMO, tends to be the environment where daring and innovation seem to thrive the most.

Whatever the reason, I think OE has gotten off to a rocky start as a development company. It's good they have a couple of Sega titles to work on. Hopefully they'll be able to provide a better showing with those.

True but at least Atari is allowing OE to continually to work on bug patches-upgrades for NWN2.

BTW, I'd rather Obsidian do it than Bioware. This can't really be justified in any way, but I get an arrogant "we know better than you" vibe from Bioware these days (somewhat justified given the successes of BG, NWN 1, and KotOR 1). Obsidian generally feels a lot more "blue collar" to me, and that, IMO, tends to be the environment where daring and innovation seem to thrive the most.

OE has been as open as possible without braking any NDA agreements on the SA gaming forum.

Bioware > OE

Sorry... But I haven't liked any of the equels that OE has done (NWN 2, and I loved NWN 1). I only played K2 because I had to know what happened story wise... and not even that was finished and the ending was totally lame. Aslo stop being so nice to OE saying that LA was beging to hard on them or making deadlines. They should have stoood there ground and said it's just not finish... and finished it.

I would love to see Bioware redo K2 as in finishing it. Then release K3 that connects to K1 and K2 and make K3 the last game for Knight of the Old Republic Series.

Bioware > OE

Sorry... But I haven't liked any of the equels that OE has done (NWN 2, and I loved NWN 1). I only played K2 because I had to know what happened story wise... and not even that was finished and the ending was totally lame. Also stop being so nice to OE saying that LA was being to hard on them or making deadlines. They should have stood their ground and said it's just not finish... and finished it.

I would love to see Bioware redo K2 as in finishing it. Then release K3 that connects to K1 and K2 and make K3 the last game for Knight of the Old Republic Series.

Seeing that TSL was OE's first game. They really had a lot of power where LA is concerned. I am sure they learned the lessons of Troika Games very well.

I don't believe that the dates were moved up after development started. IIRC the issue was OE tried to do to much with the time they had. That isn't really LAs fault.

I don't believe that the dates were moved up after development started. IIRC the issue was OE tried to do to much with the time they had. That isn't really LAs fault.

Nope. Two months were cut from the schedule. The pc version was originally stated to come out only in febuary, two months after the planned Xbox release in december. But about halfway through, they were suddenly both said to come out in december. QED: Two months cut from the development cycle.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/588/588057p1.html

I'll never understand why people keep bringing up TSL being incomplete. That game is perfectly finished if you think about it. :p

On-topic, BioWare's stated they're not doing KotOR III (with all the games they're developing and their preference for working on their own IP, I'm not surprised). But I prefer Obsidian in any case so it doesn't seem like much of a loss to me. :)

I'll never understand why people keep bringing up TSL being incomplete. That game is perfectly finished if you think about it. :p

You are Wrong. In the IGtDroids, a canon material, there are events described that are not shown in the game, though bits of those events are found in the resources files, incompleted.

That is all I have to say. While it may not be as incomplete as some may think (since some cut content maybe due to LA decision, or are just early test content) there are parts that are obviously missing, and obvious error/plot-hole due to changes or last minute fix. Not to say its dev's fault since due to some political fktard(who should die many painful deaths along with his whole bloodline) the deadline is cutshort.

It IS incomplete for me. From the point where you meet the Jedi Masters, the game is rushed incomplete and unsatisfying. And I'm not talking about cut content. Cut content is completely irrelevant to it - suppose we never knew there is cut content. The game would still be incomplete.

The problem is the entire last planet, you have this gray, depressing planet with absolutely no one to talk to. There's no party member banter to break up some of the tediousness.

That and how many dying people have you ever seen standing and chatting you up for 20 minutes before finally collapsing?

However, I just realized this is a K3 possibility thread and we're getting off topic discussing completeness of TSL, so we should get back on topic. :)

I'm feeling more hopeful about K3 with Hannibal's article and the not-a-definitive-no response in the chat. :)

It IS incomplete for me. From the point where you meet the Jedi Masters, the game is rushed incomplete and unsatisfying. And I'm not talking about cut content. Cut content is completely irrelevant to it - suppose we never knew there is cut content. The game would still be incomplete.

I completely agree. That there is cut content changes nothing. It just underscores that even the devs knew up front that the game would need a change of pace at that point. Sadly they never got to implement it. And this is evident from the way all the critics seem to agree that TSL is great until the meeting of the masters and then takes a huge turn to the left from that point on.

K3 should definitely climax in some ultimate showdown between good and evil with your characters as the good guys and the true Sith as the bad guys. Since the true Sith are the enemies of both LS Revan and DS Revan, they seem destined to be the bad guys regardless of whether you're jedi or sith. So, yes, an epic climax, but let the game delve into the darkness also and resolve matters left open in TSL as well.

Archived