Ar4gOrN

Which do you like more?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like more?

• Revan. Former Dark Lord ftw!
    • The Exile pwns 3 Sith Lords! I like him/her better
    • Meh, they're both pretty cool, but I don't have a fave
    • They're both total nubzors.

Personally I like the Exile better than Revan, just because there is a better opportunity to add your own little fictional background about him/her, and with Revan you are revealed your past.

I think K1 is so much better than TSL, so Revan is automatically a better character IMHO. The Exile, like you say, leaves more room for imagination but the rest of the game let's you down.

Revan is a bit more interesting I think. The Exile is a very cool character but I like Revan's history a bit more. I really liked the revelation of him being a former Dark Lord. On the other hand I really liked the Exile's ability to grow stronger by feeding on the death, but Revan has always been my favorite.

I find the plot far more interesting in TSL. The exile, however, seems to be in denial about most of his past throughout the story and possibly even after the game ends. That's interesting in the plot, but it does make Revan look like a stronger personality. So I think Revan is a little more interesting on that basis.

Still, that could be simply because it's very hard to get to know the exile - what you learn about your own character in TSL always seems to be from other people than yourself, which is disappointing...

I don't mind that the exile is being secretive towards other people about his past. I do mind rather a lot that he is secretive towards me about it, because it interferes with my ability to role-play him. How can I role-play a character I'm not allowed to know? Apart from the cut content, that was the worst part of TSL :mad:

The Exile is better, because, unlike Revan, the Exile has an in-built LS past, for your Light Side fans. :) You get to create his past...and his future.

Though, my favorite PC would have to be the Manlipatuor Behind the Scenes, the person that is responsible for Revan's and Exile's rise to power. Revan and Exile were mere pawns to this person. Revan and Exile are both Leaders...but she is the one that 'leads' the Leaders, so to say, to their future.

Kreia/Darth Traya, FTW.

The Exile is better, because, unlike Revan, the Exile has an in-built LS past, for your Light Side fans. :) You get to create his past...and his future.

That depends entirely on perspective. You could also argue that the exile is DS, but just doesn't want to acknowledge it, which is why he spends the entire game rejecting and denying the truth of what he did on Malachor V. Heck, he had spent an entire decade in denial about it before the game even begins, and he doesn't even reach a point where he accepts it in the game.

Also, Revan is not entirely DS in the backstory. He may have fallen to the dark side, but he did not go out to fight the Mandalorians out of bloodlust, revenge, or even thirst for war. Revan was an idealist and realised that the Republic would fall if the Mandalorians were not stopped. That it would cost him his soul and to fall to the dark side was acceptable casualty of war in that equation. A sacrifice like that is not a DS act, especially not if Revan knew what the price would be up front. We don't know that this is the case, but Kreia certainly implies it.

Well, I'm not going to let annoying and uber-the-top fanboyism drive me away from Revan. I know that I liked the person I made him into. No fanboy is going to ruin that for me.

Fanboys are an hallmark for a character that is so compelling people will worship it. They exist for all characters. I wouldn't be surpised if there were fanboys for Kreia.

Heh, I wouldn't even be surpised if there were fanboys for Disciple and Goto.

Though, now that I think about it, fanboys are WHAT ruined Revan for me. Or more presically, the fanboyish myth that Obisidan made that really made me angry.

You are a great general who defeated the Mandalorians. Woo-hoo. You now know of the True Sith. You have two options:

1) Tell the Republic and the Jedi Order that just kicked you out, and get them to assemble a pre-emptive strike to destroy the True Sith!

2) Fall to the Dark Side, find the Star Forge, declare yourself a Sith Lord, launch a military invasion against the Republic you are SUPPOSED to be protecting, get killed off by your own appericnate, claw your way back up, and then, once everything is in ruin...say "Oops!" and fly over to the True Sith galaxy to battle them in one-to-one combat while the whole galaxy rotted?

I say, Revan and Malak was a bigger boon to the True Sith cause than the Mandalorians ever were.

I like the Exile more, because I started out playing as the Exile in TSL and finished up as the Exile in TSL. In KotOR I started out playing as Mason Khan, but finished up playing as Revan. Bah! And I cannot think of a Star Wars character that is more overrated than what Revan is. You can thank his/her moronic fanboys (not all are bad though) for that.

I find the plot far more interesting in TSL. The exile, however, seems to be in denial about most of his past throughout the story and possibly even after the game ends. That's interesting in the plot, but it does make Revan look like a stronger personality. So I think Revan is a little more interesting on that basis.

True.

Still, that could be simply because it's very hard to get to know the exile - what you learn about your own character in TSL always seems to be from other people than yourself, which is disappointing...

I don't mind that the exile is being secretive towards other people about his past. I do mind rather a lot that he is secretive towards me about it, because it interferes with my ability to role-play him. How can I role-play a character I'm not allowed to know? Apart from the cut content, that was the worst part of TSL :mad:

What exactly is it that you wanted to know about the Exile but didn’t in TSL?

@SilentScope001, I agree with you. Perhaps Revan originally sacrificed himself/herself to the dark side for the greater good, for noble intentions, but clearly Revan at some point stopped trying to help the Republic. You would have to be a big, big moron to believe that Revan NEVER stopped trying to help the Republic and was always trying to save it, because if you believe that…

His/her first mistake was engaging the Republic in war after they had already been weakened by two wars. His/her second mistake was thinking that by attacking them and conquering them, he/she could somehow strengthen them. His/her third mistake was thinking that this was the only solution to this yet unknown threat. And his/her last mistake was finding the Star Forge, for without it I doubt Revan would've had the heart to attack the Republic.

Clearly Revan was EVIL at some point, and depending on how you played KotOR, still is.

I prefer the Exile.

See personaly I see it more that the Exile is completely oblivious to some of the details in TSL like how (s)he looses his/her conection to the force. Also not many war hero's (or at least the few I know) actually speak much about their actions, war is a painful time where people loose alot of friends and would rather forget. I also second the Architects question about what the Exile is secretive about?

I like the Exile more, because I started out playing as the Exile in TSL and finished up as the Exile in TSL. In KotOR I started out playing as Mason Khan, but finished up playing as Revan. Bah! And I cannot think of a Star Wars character that is more overrated than what Revan is. You can thank his/her moronic fanboys (not all are bad though) for that.

Agreed

See personaly I see it more that the Exile is completely oblivious to some of the details in TSL like how (s)he looses his/her conection to the force. Also not many war hero's (or at least the few I know) actually speak much about their actions, war is a painful time where people loose alot of friends and would rather forget.

Yes, but there is a distinction between the character being secretive and me not knowing his or her background and bitter experiences, when I'm supposed to role-play the character. When it comes to why the Exile lost his force connection, yes, it's quite relevant that I don't know, because the exile didn't know either. Fair enough, since the exile's subsconscious denial about it should and did mean that I don't know about it. I have no problem with that.

But exile still knew what happened at Malachor V, and I did not. Exile knew that he was on Dxun during the war, but I did not. Exile knew and remembered Bao-Dur, but I was not allowed to. Is it my character or not? Yes and no. Revan was definitely my character. He had a huge background hidden from me, but that's acceptable on the basis that he was completely amnesic about it, similar to Jason Bourne. The same is not true for the exile, who may have forgotten or repressed some of the darker details, which is okay, but remembered the more genereal events, but kept them hidden from me, which is not.

Revan for me. I can't really explain why, but the fact the Revan has a name definitly contributes to it.

The Exile is distant to me, everyone calls you Exile, there's no name. That's similar to military methods where people are numbers instead of names, it makes the whole thing so... unpersonal.

Apart from that, Revan's character interested me way more, perhaps because he's a more important figure in the Kotor era.

But exile still knew what happened at Malachor V, and I did not. Exile knew that he was on Dxun during the war, but I did not. Exile knew and remembered Bao-Dur, but I was not allowed to. Is it my character or not? Yes and no. Revan was definitely my character. He had a huge background hidden from me, but that's acceptable on the basis that he was completely amnesic about it, similar to Jason Bourne. The same is not true for the exile, who may have forgotten or repressed some of the darker details, which is okay, but remembered the more genereal events, but kept them hidden from me, which is not.

True, on this you do have a point however; this is also true of any game in which you start midway through a charachter's life, so ownership of Revan came from the fact that Revan was an amnesiac therefore the player did define the charachter just as they wanted. Its very difficult to replicate that scenario, the way round it of course would have been to have Atton then quiz the Exile about his role on Dxun (after Atton becomes a Jedi) and the player could give their responses from a list of things (like lighsaber type). Donno how well I explained that, do you get what I mean?

I can get reported for using nerd slang terms? Ouch...that seems a little harsh.

But getting back on topic, I always believed that the KotOR story was better than TSL's, until the end. There are so many questions left unanswered at the end of TSL's story that I feel should have been answered. However, you never know. Maybe KotOR II's lackluster ending will be followed up well (though, hopefully not soon or directly) by KotOR III, if and when it releases.

Yes, but there is a distinction between the character being secretive and me not knowing his or her background and bitter experiences, when I'm supposed to role-play the character. When it comes to why the Exile lost his force connection, yes, it's quite relevant that I don't know, because the exile didn't know either. Fair enough, since the exile's subsconscious denial about it should and did mean that I don't know about it. I have no problem with that.

Umm…so what, you wanted the Exile to stop and say “Jediphile, this is what happened on Malachor V…and Jediphile, I did this and this on Dxun….”? Did you want your party members to question you more about your background or what? (So jonathan7’s idea could work).

Why would they? They don’t question you; they just follow you. And most of them already know enough about your background anyway. So how do you propose how you could’ve learnt more about the Exile’s background in TSL? Why is it relevant to the plot? You have more important things to do and discuss in the game.

The Exile knew and remembered Bao-Dur, yes, yet you say that you weren’t allowed to know him? Umm…remember who you’re playing as: the Exile. You (as the Exile) already know Bao-Dur. Why would you get to know someone you already know? What, was the Exile amnesic too and someone never told me?

And once again, these “more general events” you speak of; what are they? What exactly is it that you wanted to know about the Exile but didn’t in TSL?

Heh, I wouldn't even be surpised if there were fanboys for Disciple <snip>
How about "fangrrls"? :naughty::p:lol:

While I do like the Exile more than I did when I first played the game(s), she still doesn't quite hold the same appeal for me that Revan does. Revan is absolutely hands down my favorite. To me, her (Revan's) story was by far more appealing than Exile's.

Plus, like Allronix, I do like the company Revan keeps better than Exile. ;)

Archived