Home

Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dead Man's Chest committed the cardinal sin that Curse of the Black Pearl had so clearly avoided - it did CGI and visual effects for their own sake instead of for the plot's. That's always a no-no. The characters weren't themselves, either, which is also bad.

But the worst thing was that it was just a two-and-a-half hour long, big and noisy tv-episode of the serialized format. I don't mind that sort thing, in fact, 24 is currently one of my favorite shows. But while it's okay to do a 40-60 minute episode whose only purpose is to keep the pace up for the the follow episode next week, that does NOT mean that it's okay for a feature movie of about three to four times the length to do on the big screen and with the follow-up coming out next year instead of next week. Big, big minus to Pirates right there :mad:

To have Barbossa walk in just before the end credits roll with no explanation at all was really just the final insult.

Dead Man's Chest was okay, but where Curse of the Black Pearl had atmosphere all over it, I couldn't tell in the sequel because NOTHING in the plot EVER reached any sort of conclusion. I guess I won't know until Pirates3 comes out whether the sequel had atmosphere or just dollar-signs all over it :(

Will it be Pirates of the Caribbean or "Pirate$ of the Caribbean"? That's the question.

O

M

G

I don't think I'm capable of waiting until May 25th. That looks absolutely incredible. And in answer to your question, I liked DMC a bit more.

May 25th is like a birthday gift for me since the 19th is my birthday:D

I've just recently watched the first two parts of the story for the first time and I have to say that PotC movie series is one of the most entertaining I've seen in a while. I'm, of course, looking forward to the third part, which should appear in theaters very soon, if what I read was true.

time to buy tix to the midnight showing.

@jediphile: the second and third pirates are meant to be one movie together, but because movie theaters won't show a 5hr long movie, it was broken up into two parts. Kinda like the second and third matrix movies, just without the suck.

@jediphile: the second and third pirates are meant to be one movie together, but because movie theaters won't show a 5hr long movie, it was broken up into two parts. Kinda like the second and third matrix movies, just without the suck.

I know that, but that is no excuse to turn the entire second movie into one big, overgrown "to be continued"-sort of tv episode, which is what Pirate$2 was. I mean, what was the plot? Where was the resolution? Not even Matrix or Back to the Future did that... If there had been closure to just some of the plot started it would be different, but no - EVERYTHING is continued. It's like they went out of their way to make sure no part of the plot reached conclusion, which means I get no finished plot in the theatre, and I even have to wait for an entire year to see what happens next. Did that happen in Matrix Reloaded, Back to the Future II, or Empire Strikes Back or The Two Towers? No, it didn't. They were continued plots, yes, but they did finish their own parts of the ongoing plot. Pirate$2 did not. Which is disappointing in the extreme. Add the visual effects forced on top for no appearent reason, and you have a movie where profit and plot seem to go hand in hand... :mad:

Conclusion: Pirate$2 just wasn't as fun, because it was such an obvious and blatant sales pitch for the next movie. I like to at least entertain the idea that I'm in the theatre for a concluding experience and not just to hear an excuse for plugging #3.

I know that, but that is no excuse to turn the entire second movie into one big, overgrown "to be continued"-sort of tv episode, which is what Pirate$2 was. I mean, what was the plot? Where was the resolution? Not even Matrix or Back to the Future did that... If there had been closure to just some of the plot started it would be different, but no - EVERYTHING is continued. It's like they went out of their way to make sure no part of the plot reached conclusion, which means I get no finished plot in the theatre, and I even have to wait for an entire year to see what happens next. Did that happen in Matrix Reloaded, Back to the Future II, or Empire Strikes Back or The Two Towers? No, it didn't. They were continued plots, yes, but they did finish their own parts of the ongoing plot. Pirate$2 did not. Which is disappointing in the extreme. Add the visual effects forced on top for no appearent reason, and you have a movie where profit and plot seem to go hand in hand... :mad:

Conclusion: Pirate$2 just wasn't as fun, because it was such an obvious and blatant sales pitch for the next movie. I like to at least entertain the idea that I'm in the theatre for a concluding experience and not just to hear an excuse for plugging #3.

Totally agree, but I think the third one will be awesome though!

Though I still think the first one remains and always will remain the best Pirates movie.

@Jediphile - you know, i have to wonder what your reaction was to movies like "The Empire Strikes Back", either of the first two LotR movies, or any other movie that ends with an obvious lack of a resolution. the fact that Pirates 3 is coming out in less than a year after Pirates 2 was released is, IMHO, much easier to handle than movies that end somewhat abruptly and don't get a sequel for another 3-4 years.

just my two pennies. ;)

@Jediphile - you know, i have to wonder what your reaction was to movies like "The Empire Strikes Back", either of the first two LotR movies, or any other movie that ends with an obvious lack of a resolution.

No, there were resolutions in those movies. Luke does confront Vader, and his friends do escape the empire. Only Han Solo did not, and that was the set-up for the next movie. But that part of the story was over. ESB does not end one second so that ROTJ must start the next. In fact, a full year passed between those stories. As for LOTR, it's different since I read the books long, long before seeing the movies, but even so - "Fellowship of the Ring" is just that - the Fellowship. When the Fellowship is broken at the end of the movie, that part of the story ends. Sure, lots of plots are left open, but the ending is significant because Frodo finally makes his ultimate decision to destroy the ring and accepts the responsibility of that quest - that's what FOTR is about. TT is about the defense of Rohan, primarily, and it ends when Rohan is safe, once the Uruk-Hai are defeated at Helm's Deep. The book ended with the confrontation with Saruman, of course, but either way, it's when the Saruman's aggression is ended that the movie reaches its end - the book just included the epilogue, which was cut from the films. Plots are open, yes, but there is resolution to some of them. That's the difference - there is NO resolution to ANY plot AT ALL in Pirates2.

the fact that Pirates 3 is coming out in less than a year after Pirates 2 was released is, IMHO, much easier to handle than movies that end somewhat abruptly and don't get a sequel for another 3-4 years.

And when was the last time that happened? Return of the Jedi perhaps? That was a long time ago, and since I actually waited through that period, I do feel qualified to criticize Pirates more for it. At least Lucas allows some kind of intermediate resolution to the parts of his saga before ending each plot. Even in the prequels. You could mention the Star Wars prequels here, too, of course, but I don't count them, since we all knew pretty much how it would have to play out in the end.

Just to underscore my opinion of Pirates2: I couldn't wait to get my dirty little hands on Pirates1 on dvd. Heck, I think I watched it four or five times in the cinema. Pirates2, however, I watched only twice, and I still don't have the dvd, even though it's been out for a while now. I am looking forward to Pirates3 and intend to see it, but I'm trying not get my hopes up - I don't want to be disappointed... again.

Archived