Home

Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depp has already said that he'd do 4 and 5 no problem. And let's face it - as long as Johnny is willing to do it, that's really all it takes. You could cut all other characters out of those movies, and they could still be quite fun as long as Captain Jack is in there
Haven't seen 2, but I heard that is sort of what they did, with a poorer result than the first.

Haven't seen 2, but I heard that is sort of what they did, with a poorer result than the first.

Actually no. As much as I voice criticism of P2, I must say that it's impressive how much of the cast has returned. Going over the cast, it's primarily Giles New as Murtogg and Angus Barnett as Mullroy (the two "comic relief" guards from Port Royal) who have not returned. Other that than it's mainly Zoe Saldana as Anamaria (woman on Jack's crew whose ship Jack stole before) and Damian O'Hare as Lt. Gillette (Norrington's subordinate) who seem to be missing. And those are all very, very minor characters from the first film.

Everyone else who are gone are primarily Barbossa's crew of bad-guys, whom you would expect not to return. Pintel and Ragetti are back, though. In fact, everybody else is back, even Norrington, Governor Swann, all of the crewmembers who left with Jack on the Black Pearl at the end of P1 (except, as mentioned, Anamaria)...

Few films have had so much of the cast return for the sequel as P2 did. I'll give it credit for that, even if I don't think it was strictly necessary. All that was done impressively. It's not enough to save lacking plot, though :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the good news is that Pirates 3 is better than #2 and DOES tie up all those loose ends that were left open. The bad news is that it's still not as good as the original movie.

The fights scenes remain over the top, of course, but where the original movie used effects in support of its plot only, #3 has the same problem as #2 in that many of the effects seem to be there only for the heck of it.

And as good as Johnny is, I do find the multiple Jacks too annoying to justify their presence.

Without spoiling anything, however, I'll admit that the ending is bolder than I would have expected. Not brilliant, just a little bolder than you might expect.

It doesn't quite live up to what I felt was promised in #2. The plot actually holds up well, but it's told badly or haphazardly in places, as the plot zaps between scenes and characters rather quickly. The characters' motives and convictions are also put on their head several times, making it difficult to recognize them, particularly in the case of Jack and Will.

Well, at least the story is now finished...

Just my two credits.

I just got back from seeing it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The plot was very well drawn together. Maybe they tried to squeeze in too much stuff we hadn't seen yet, such as all the different pirate lords and Calypto. But it worked out and I was fine with it. Two major parts I didn't like. During the most epic battle scene of any of the three movies, it is ruined when Elizabeth and Will are married by Barbosa in the middle of battle. I know they always throw something silly like this in to these movies but I really wish they could have let that part wait until the battle was won. The other part I didn't like was how Will was made captain of the Flying Dutchman. I won't say that it ruined the story because it had to be done after he was stabbed in the heart, but I would have rather had it play out differently. I was expecting Jack to become captain of the Dutchman but perhaps I should have known it wouldn't work out that way.

All in all a great movie. I haven't decided if I like it better than the first or not but I can confidently say it is superior to number 2.

Just got back from it, and I must say, that was absolutely incredible.

At first, I thought multiple Jacks would be really cheesy and stupid, but they pulled it off really well. Johnny Depp's incredible performance probably helped out a little too. :)

There are a few things I just don't quite understand though.

1.) Tia Dalma (Calypso) becomes this massive creature once she is released. She starts screaming stuff in a really low voice that I can't understand, and she dissolves into a million crabs. The crabs float down into the ocean, and she apparently creates a maelstrom. After the battle, all evidence of it goes away, and she's not seen again. It may make sense to some people, but being the last film and all (supposedly), they could've put some closure on that little bit.

2.) Ok, so Will becomes the captain of the Flying Dutchman, and the crew lose all their "seaness" and become normal human beings. My question is, why? Did Davy Jones' hatred turn them into barnacle-covered sea creatures, and once he died and the got a "good" captain, they became normal?

3.) For the people who waited until after the credits to see the little clip at the end will probably know what I mean here.

Now before the credits, Will and Elizabeth are on that island, and they... you know - which makes Elizabeth pregnant. After the credits, 10 years have passed, Elizabeth doesn't look one day older, and she has the kid with her. So, did she live alone on that island for 10 years? Did she give birth to the kid alone? Did she raise him alone?

But even with the confusing things, I'll go so far as to say it was easily the best of the 3. Even people who weren't fans of the first 2 would like this one, IMO.

^^^ Well some spoiler tags would've been nice there, but at least you didn't give away anything too big. Anyway, I'll be seeing it tonight at 11:30, so I'll find it all out soon.

I don't see how I spoiled anything, but maybe you need to see the movie to agree with that. I definitely wanted to comment on some of the things that happened in the movie but chose not to for the exact reason of not spoiling it for anyone.

And btw, might I ask how you've seen it already?

Opening day in the cinema. I guess I'm just in a part of the world where it opened before it did in others.

Just went and saw the movie. I found it to be rather awsome!

And EagerWeasel, in answer to your questions, lets just assume that good old Voodoo Magic was behind it all, seeing as it is very common to be seen among pirates.

As for your last question regarding about the end of the movie (damn! why didn't i stay long enough in the cinema's to watch the scene after the credits?), again, lets just assume its Voodoo. Voodoo is the answer to everything, mmmyesss.... :)

In response to EagerWeasel's questions, here is my take...

I agree that Johnny added a lot of the multiple Jacks. They would have been very cheesy had it not been Depp. However, that just means they cheesy from a plot-position instead of just being plain cheesy. YMMV...

1.) I agree that Tia Dalma/Calypso is completely wasted in the plot. They spend a huge amount of the plot setting her up (and it's actually a little silly when Sao Feng thinks that Elizabeth is Calypso - it was fairly obvious who it was all along). They claim her return is essential to defeating the enemy, yet all she does is apparently to create the maelstrom so Davy Jones can be defeated. If I were one of the pirates, I'd ask for my money back... ;)

I wonder if there will be deleted scenes that delves into this on the dvd, once it comes out. If there are, let's just say I would be unsurprised...

2.) Remember that Davy Jones, and by extension his crew, is being punished because he doesn't fulfil his duty to ferry the dead across to the underworld. It seems their "seacreaturified" appearance is their punishment, and since Will is not guilty of the same crime, he doesn't share that punishment. At least, that's how it seemed to me.

3.) I think we can conclude the assumption is that she did give birht to and raise their son alone and that ten years have passed. Whether they lived on the island is a different story, though. Theoretically, Elizabeth could appear in Pirates 4, 5, and whatever that takes place before that decade is over.

The bitterness of the sad love story confuses me. Yes, Will can now return to land every ten years, and yes, his father does say that she cannot go where they must travel. However, there is nothing to suggest that the Flying Dutchman cannot return to the living world and have Elizabeth come aboard whenever she and Will feels like it. Will's duty is now to ferry the dead to the underworld. Fine, but that means he has to come back for the dead in the world of the living. Given that the bitter love-ending hinges on the idea that they can now presumably see each other only once a decade, that's s a fairly big plothole, as far as I can tell. Really, Will would need to be no different than a husband who works abroad and can see his family only so often and under certain circumstances.

But even with the confusing things, I'll go so far as to say it was easily the best of the 3. Even people who weren't fans of the first 2 would like this one, IMO.

I don't think that statement makes much sense. Pirates 2+3 are an item. It's a package deal. You can't have #3 without #2 setting the stage for it first, and you can't do #2 without then doing #3 (Lucasarts, please take notes here...).

As much as I have criticised #2, I'll agree that it's at least justified in its plot on the basis of #3. At least plotwise. It doesn't change that I thought #2 left too many plots open and finished none, but at least plots begun in #2 weren't just standed. Why we needed to wait an entire year to get closure to ANY of them still confuses me fairly a lot.

I don't think that statement makes much sense. Pirates 2+3 are an item. It's a package deal. You can't have #3 without #2 setting the stage for it first, and you can't do #2 without then doing #3 (Lucasarts, please take notes here...).

Well of course 3 wouldn't make sense without 2, but I was just pointing out that people who weren't big fans of the second one would most likely be fans of the third one. Not people who haven't seen the first 2, just people who didn't like them all that much.

I guess that makes sense about Jones and the crew. Now that I think about it, I do remember Tia Dalma telling Jones he wasn't fulfilling his responsibility.

This may be interpreted the wrong way, but this is what I think. Since they said Elizabeth couldn't go with them "where they were going", I took that to mean that the Dutchman would have to stay in the undersea world, since obviously Elizabeth wouldn't be able to stay underwater for 10 years, and they were only allowed to come to shore for one day every 10 years. Will could still walk on land (which is what it looked like he was about to do at the very end), but he would have to return underwater the next day. This may not be right, considering how it shouldn't be different for Will and Jones, unless Jones was supposed to stay underwater all the time and that was just another one of his disobediences.

One other thing surprised me. I know that it certainly didn't deserve an R rating, but I thought they may have pushed PG-13 (PG-13 that is also supposed to be accessible to kids) a little. They show about 50 people, including a kid, get hung right at the beginning of the movie, multiple people getting stabbed all the way through the gut, a woman get shot in the head (and show the wound), a massive wooden poll stick through Sao Feng, Davy Jones' tentacles slither through Mr. Mercer's head, mouth, and out through his nose. All that is ok with me, but for kids, it might have been a little too much.

The movie was enjoyable to watch it. And the final battle sequence was riveting, to say the least. Though, I did have a few concerns.

As inventive as the idea of multiple Jacks was, I wasn't much of a fan of it. I found it that it confused me. Particularly, at the beginning. I did finally "get" it towards the end. But, I think that the film could have done without. I don't know what they would've done, but I was expecting something a bit different.

About Tia Dalma/Calypso... hmm, yeah, I wasn't much of a fan of what happened just before the big battle. When she became a massive creature and all that, I didn't care for that either. I found that to be farfetched and it just didn't belong in a pirate movie. Otherwise, I think the rest of movie that see was in, was pretty good on her behalf.

The death of Sao Feng was premature in my opinion. I was hoping to see more of him.

Concerning the epic battle between the pirates. I thought that was awesome. I was hoping for the duel between Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones to be a bit longer. I thought the marriage between Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner to be quite humourous. That was enjoyable to watch, while they were fending of enemies.

Overall, Pirates of the Caribbean III was better than the first two. In which, I like equally.

Would I buy it on DVD? **** YEAH!

The movie was enjoyable to watch it. And the final battle sequence was riveting, to say the least. Though, I did have a few concerns.

As inventive as the idea of multiple Jacks was, I wasn't much of a fan of it. I found it that it confused me. Particularly, at the beginning. I did finally "get" it towards the end. But, I think that the film could have done without. I don't know what they would've done, but I was expecting something a bit different.

About Tia Dalma/Calypso... hmm, yeah, I wasn't much of a fan of what happened just before the big battle. When she became a massive creature and all that, I didn't care for that either. I found that to be farfetched and it just didn't belong in a pirate movie. Otherwise, I think the rest of movie that see was in, was pretty good on her behalf.

The death of Sao Feng was premature in my opinion. I was hoping to see more of him.

Concerning the epic battle between the pirates. I thought that was awesome. I was hoping for the duel between Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones to be a bit longer. I thought the marriage between Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner to be quite humourous. That was enjoyable to watch, while they were fending of enemies.

Overall, Pirates of the Caribbean III was better than the first two. In which, I like equally.

Would I buy it on DVD? **** YEAH!

Bugger! I have to wait till Monday to see it! D:

Theoretically, Elizabeth could appear in Pirates 4, 5, and whatever that takes place before that decade is over..

IIRC, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley aren't interested in appearing in any more Pirates movies. I can see why World's End ended the way it did, then. Elizabeth and Will are effectively out of the picture in case they want any sequels.

On the subject of the movie, it was superb! Definitely better than the second one, and about as good as the first IMO. Good acting, an excellent plot, Jack was in character... Next to nothing to dislike, apart from the usual battle-related inaccuracies most movies suffer from.

Like the Royal Navy retreating when they lost the Dutchman and Beckett's ship (what was it called again?). WTF? They had far more ships than the pirates and still would've been able to overwhelm them despite losing their two best ones.

But a minor matter compared to how the rest of the film turned out. I'd definitely recommend that anyone who's not seen it to rectify that error immediately.

IIRC, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley aren't interested in appearing in any more Pirates movies. I can see why World's End ended the way it did, then. Elizabeth and Will are effectively out of the picture in case they want any sequels.

I haven't seen Bloom make any comments on it, though the studio seems to think they don't need him anymore from comments they made somewhere. Keira did say at one point that she wouldn't do another Pirates, but she seems to have changed her mind recently or at least reconsidered. The last interview I read, she seemed open to the idea.

No matter, Jack will always be synonymous with Pirates of the the Caribbean on the big screen, and we know that Johnny is up to doing more movies. They don't need Will and Elizabeth for a fourth or fifth movie. They just need Jack. And maybe Barbossa.

But a minor matter compared to how the rest of the film turned out. I'd definitely recommend that anyone who's not seen it to rectify that error immediately.

Meh. It's nowhere nearly as good as the original movie. It is better than #2, though. Would I recommend it? What does it matter? If you like these movies you have either seen it already or will, and if you don't then you won't care. It's a rollercoaster ride for almost three hours, but if you decide to save your money and wait for the dvd, then you won't be missing anything major.

Frankly I haven't seen the real blockbuster of the summer yet - both of the 3s (Spider-Man 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean 3) are not quite so hot. I'm holding my breath for Harry Potter 5 which will either soar or plummet (no middle ground there - either the book will translate well to movie, in which case it'll be incredible, or it will fail and I'll be utterly disappointed). Or Matt Damon might steal the scene with Bourne Ultimatum - I'm waiting with great anticipation for that one. I'm less confident about Ocean's 13 or Fantastic Four 2.

Now, I just saw this movie twenty mintues ago and; I'm impressed!

Well, first of all, I'm going to give a short parodial summary.

Well, in the movie, everyone (except for the monkey) is bad guys, all with their different goals.

Davy Jones - I like to call him Upside Down Squid - wants to survive and be freed so that he can get some girls. Orlando Bloom wants to save his father. The girl person wants to avenge her father. The other captain guy who used to own the Black Pearl wants to get his ship back, Jhonny Depp (Jack Sparrow) wants to live forever, Lord Bekket wants all pirates dead, the Admiral is just a psycho who has no idea which side he's on, and the Governor of the East India Company (the girl's dad) is just an innocent bystander who gets his head cut off by Lord Bekket. And the monkey - well, he just doesn't want to be blasted out of a cannon, which he is. And that basically sums up the movie. :p

But seriously, this is the best movie I've ever seen, with the possible exception of Ghost Rider. THe Storyline is - as always - too confusing, but i was able to understand most of it. But what made this movie so great was the climax: great music, great action, and the speech that the Pirate King (or in this case, Queen) gives is quite moving. It's a roller coaster of twists and turns, of psychotic admirals and crazy pirates, and of romance. It is seriously a phenominal movie. And with a bit (lots?) if humor to fuel it on past the finish line. (My favorite scene was when at the end, Jack Sparrow gets the compass that points to what he wants most, and it points to the rum. Heh, lol.)

One thing:

In KotOR1:

*Malak is standing in the bridge of his flagship while Saul approaches*

Malak: Admiral.

Admiral: You summoned me, Lord Malak?

In Pirates3:

*Bekket is standing in the Bridge of his flagship while the Admiral approaches*

Bekket: Admiral.

Admiral: You summoned me, Lord Bekket? :D

Like the Royal Navy retreating when they lost the Dutchman and Beckett's ship (what was it called again?). WTF? They had far more ships than the pirates and still would've been able to overwhelm them despite losing their two best ones.

IIRC, the name of Beckett's ship was the "Endeavour". Well, it would have been unnecessary to watch. It would have made a long movie even longer and the battle would've been pointless, IMO.

Well, Orlando Bloom said all the actors brought something home from the set. So, either that means that they are finished it completely, starting all over again (I doubt it), or he is lying (in which, I also doubt).

Frankly I haven't seen the real blockbuster of the summer yet - both of the 3s (Spider-Man 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean 3) are not quite so hot. I'm holding my breath for Harry Potter 5 which will either soar or plummet (no middle ground there - either the book will translate well to movie, in which case it'll be incredible, or it will fail and I'll be utterly disappointed). Or Matt Damon might steal the scene with Bourne Ultimatum - I'm waiting with great anticipation for that one. I'm less confident about Ocean's 13 or Fantastic Four 2.

Apparently, the people don't agree with you. :p It seems that box office is booming at the moment. But, I do see what you mean. Spiderman 3 was a disappointment. I haven't seen Shrek the Third (and I don't intend too), and as much as I enjoyed Pirates III, it could have been better. When I comes to Harry Potter 5.... as much as I'm waiting to see that one, I have a feeling I'll be disappointed. There is so much in the book, but it seems that much of it will be left out.

IIRC, there will be no Quidditch in it.

:blast5:

IIRC, there will be no Quidditch in it.

The only movie where that mattered was the 4, with the Quiddich world cup and everything. But frankly, I haven't even watched it, Harry Potter's on moives is a disaster. The books are so much better, but I really think now is the time to end the saga (with this last and seven book), it's getting old.

Apparently, the people don't agree with you. :p It seems that box office is booming at the moment. But, I do see what you mean. Spiderman 3 was a disappointment. I haven't seen Shrek the Third (and I don't intend too), and as much as I enjoyed Pirates III, it could have been better. When I comes to Harry Potter 5.... as much as I'm waiting to see that one, I have a feeling I'll be disappointed. There is so much in the book, but it seems that much of it will be left out.

Frankly, I have the same feeling. The book is huge, but justifies it in the scope of the aspects it takes on IMHO. I consider it by far the best Potter-book. Putting all that in a movie below three hours is going to be a challenge to say the least. Which is why I dread the movie. But I do hold out hope that they can pull it off... in which case it should be great.

As for the other movies, of course people go to see spidey 3 even if everybody says it sucks (which it doesn't - it's just a bit average), because they first two films were pretty good and people like the characters. With Pirates there really is no choice, because you've got to see how the story ends that they began last year in no. 2. Let's see how many go to see it next weekend...

The only movie where that mattered was the 4, with the Quiddich world cup and everything. But frankly, I haven't even watched it, Harry Potter's on moives is a disaster. The books are so much better, but I really think now is the time to end the saga (with this last and seven book), it's getting old.

I disagree. The books may be better, but that doesn't mean the movies are terrible. So far I rank them in the same order as I do the books, which suggets it hasn't been all bad. Honestly, your comment makes me think of this old joke:

Two goats are standing on a field eating a reel of Cecil B. DeMille's classic movie "The Ten Commandments". One goat turns to the other and asks, "What do you think?" The other goat thinks about it for a moment and then answers, "Well... The book was better." ;)

Archived