Home

Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy

Now that I've seen Pirates III I've to say I'm not that impressed. At least they really did explain everything but still... the plot is just weak.

A big plus for me though, was the return of Barbossa. His appearance, his character, his dialogs... very nice! :D

There were lots of funny scenes, but all of them involved Barbossa and Sparrow. Without those 2, it's pretty much uninteresting.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were lots of funny scenes, but all of them involved Barbossa and Sparrow. Without those 2, it's pretty much uninteresting.

Well, generally, without Jack Sparrow, we'd be seeing a whole different movie. The trilogy is essentially based on Jack Sparrow.

The only movie where that mattered was the 4, with the Quidditch World Cup and everything. But frankly, I haven't even watched it, Harry Potter's on movies is a disaster. The books are so much better, but I really think now is the time to end the saga (with this last and seven book), it's getting old.

I still think Quidditch is important in the films. It adds to the film. The quidditch scenes in the first 3 movies were good. They didn't ruin the movie. More over, it helped it for the entertainment factor.

I agree with you that the books are better. But, I don't think the movies are a disaster. Though, I don't get what you are referring to, when you're talking about the movies getting old.

I agree with you that the books are better. But, I don't think the movies are a disaster. Though, I don't get what you are referring to, when you're talking about the movies getting old.

I meant, the series are getting old, and I was referring to the books. ;)

Without Jack (well, Depp really), there would be no Pirates of the Caribbean, though I think that Pintel and Ragetti are two of the main humor factors of all 3 movies.

Since I haven't mentioned it yet, good God, Keira Knightley was damn hot. I mean, she was hot in the other two, but she takes the cake in this one.

I meant, the series are getting old, and I was referring to the books. ;)

I suppose. And the series could continue after the seventh book, too. Depending on the outcome of the seventh book.

Since I haven't mentioned it yet, good God, Keira Knightley was damn hot. I mean, she was hot in the other two, but she takes the cake in this one.

Damn right. Keira is hot in every movie that she is in.

I give this film a boo/5.

I mean honestly. It started off decently, but took a swan dive into terrible after this one scene

The Tia Dalma episode

Blah. I'll get a more in depth review later. But I'm bottling my severe disappointment for now. :(

At least the first movie was done properly.

I wanted to love this movie, but left feeling disappointed. This is not how this trilogy was supposed to end.

Captain Jack Sparrow does not lose, but that is what I felt happen when I left the theater. Jack Sparrow should make it look like he is selling out everyone, but in the end he should save the day. His friends should not be cursed to spending eternity ferrying the dead or waiting ten years to be with the man she loves for a single day. I would of loved to seen the dad whom had forsaken his young son all those years ago saving Will by killing his Captain Davy Jones. Better to let Will die than to be curse for eternity. Although I felt the line when he presented his heart to Elizabeth helped save the movie (even if it was extremely predictable).

The movie had it moments both really good and really bad. For a moment in Davy Jones locker I thought I had walked into some art house movie in the way they shot Johnny Depp’s nose for an extended period. The multiple Jack Sparrows were funny at first, but was dragged beyond the point of being funny. The opening battle fight was great, both funny and full of action which is what I expect from a “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie.

I actually liked Dalma/Calypso story line up until the payoff. I didn’t understand the point of Sao Feng telling Elizabeth she was Calypso. I did like the fact that we got to hear more of the history of Davy Jones and Calypso. However the payoff to that story line like most of the other story lines was a huge let down.

It was not a bad movie, but it did not live up its true potential either. The first was a near perfect movie and leaves me wondering what happen to the other two. I’ll still buy it on DVD just for the opening fight and Jack’s one liners.

According to wiki, Elizabeth's love frees him from the Dutchman after his 10 years. All in all I agree with your sentiments.

That is something that should have been included in the movie as it seems important to the overall story. That knowledge being imparted on the movie going public from the filmed work itself would have greatly increased my opinion of this movie.

I stayed in the cinema for 7+ minutes to see an extra scene after the credits...

It's 10 years later: Elisabeth (who doesn't look 10 years older) is standing with her son, gazing out at the sea where a ship appears...

I stayed for that too but...

all I got from it was Will might be happy to see his son, but disappointed that Elizabeth didn't come alone.

I saw it again today, and I realized something.

In the conversation between Tia Dalma and Davy Jones, Jones says that after 10 years of doing the duty the she forced on him, they had a chance to be together, but "she wasn't there". That sounds like if the woman you love truly loves you, you would be set free of the responsibility of ferrying the dead to the underworld. But since Tia Dalma didn't greet him when he came ashore, he was forced to keep his responsibility.

Also, the green flash of light appears when Will and the Dutchman come ashore after 10 years. Elizabeth's faithfullness and the green flash seems like it would mean that Will is set free. I doubt they would end the series (supposing that it is the end of the series) with Will and Elizabeth finally getting married, only to be separated for all but one day every 10 years.

I enjoyed this movie, I reckon it was better than DMC but CotBP is easily the best of the Trilogy.

It says on Wiki that if the captain of the Flying utchman, being Will, was greeted by his lover 10 years later, than he would be freed of his duty, Calypso did not meet Jones however, meaning he would not be freed, but Will was, which is why there was a green flash when Will returned.

• 2 weeks later...

a pirates life is free,

yo, ho, wherever we go, pirates is what we'll be!

What did ya think about pirates of the carribean?

I thought it was just fine, contrary to the rest of the populace. The most cited complaints are "oh, I can't understand this!" and "oh, this is so boring" and "oh, the special effects are so good, and the movie took so much money for the movie people to make!" Now, the last one I don't understand exactly (about it being a complaint) but I can address the other two.

The plot is not that hard to understand. Besides, these movies were made for watching at least twice, and the general direction is clear as day... or night, or storm at sea... or whatever. These hotshots who think they're professional critics think they can sit down and watch the third movie of a series without really knowing the first two, and fall asleep during the middle of it, and not have any troubly getting it, or "it's a stupid movie". Second of all, boring? When you just moaned that missing five minutes of this would cause you to lose the story? There's a double-cross, or a huge fight, or an evil fish pirate laugh, or a joke, or a hallucination, or a sudden revalation about some old subplot or ancient curse/map/legend/person, every half-minute! And the first hour, with singapore, really sets up the tension and plot. They're trying to get ready to go find Jack, and they're gethering the pirate lords to band up against the East India Trading company! The hanging scene is another fairly command grudge, but it didn''t bother my 6 year old brother, so I scoff at that pretty much.

This just really burs me, along with the stupidity of Hollywood (yes, thjey weren't all genius either) as in turning the end of the movie into a cliffhanger and making a fourth. I just learned it ain't no urban myth. Disney may well get slaughtered by and angry mob in the summer of '09, that is if they didn't learn from At World's End and make it a near perfect movie. They really gotta' wind up Cap'm sparrow, cause he's starting to peter out.

I don't usually go for mainstream film, bit of an indie or arethouse afacianado me! ;)

But i must admit, the POTC trilogy are pretty good for modern mainstream pictures, i highly enjoyed it. I was surprised with "At World's End", when i found out it was casting Chow Yun Fat as the cunning Chinese pirate Sao Feng i almost fell off my seat; he's a very good actor and definately one of my personal favourites in the Asian film world and was a great surprise for me!

Ahh, but this thread differs you see, your thread seems to be pre-World's End; people's expectations of the film, guesses etc. However this thread is for people who have seen the film and the poster of the thread is talking about the POTC in general - making this thread and your thread unrelated.

IMHO, they're the 3 best movies I've ever seen (going in order, with CotBP being the 3rd best, and AWE being the best). The plot isn't that hard to follow, unless you're just watching it for the action and don't listen to the dialogue. They're not too long, as so many critics have said, and there is only one boring part in any of the 3 movies. That would be, in AWE, when Jack is roaming around the locker, playing with rocks.

But I don't really feel like typing everything I love about these movies, because the list would go on for ages.

Honestly, I think Curse of the Black Pearl is still the best out of all three. It's the only one that actually had a properly thought-out storyline and the only one that actually tried to be a movie rather than some convoluted money-making slapjob. After the success of CotBP, the producers were like, "Hey, we can make money with this" and just decided to make more movies, resulting in the mind-wrenching quibble that Dead Man's Chest and At World's End were. I knew something bad was afoot when I saw the Making Of documentary on DMC when the writers were like, "We tried to make the plot as complicated as possible without going overboard."

That ain't a recipe for good storytelling. -___-

Archived