Home

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (spoilers ahead)

Jae Onasi

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stuck at the barricaded door in the Ming Must Die quest. :( It looks like a lot of other people got stuck here to. Guess I'll call it a night and see if I can push the silly bar tomorrow.
yeah, i never could figure out that one, either. however, i did figure out that using noclip mode just for that moment won't harm anything. ;)

To open the door you simply need to walk sideways, in order to literally push the wooden plank that's blocking them. The plank has a small handle, so simply walk toward it and keep walking until you have pushed the lever completely off the door. To make it even more clear - the plank slides to the right, so look for the handle on its right end.

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate the sympathy. :p Believe me though, I tried just about every angle of walking using 'w' or 'e' or both. I'll probably resort to the noclip option if I can't get it in the first 5 minutes of gameplay tonight.

Pretty silly that Troika didn't just have it respond to the 'e' button like every other object in the game. If they meant for some other criteria to be met first, have a dull thud sound indicating so... :rolleyes:

I'm heading off for the Society of Leopold. Got me a ton of ammo, a katana, a flamethrower, some Diet Pepsi and some snacks, life is good. I'll take care to search the area for the special katana, stoffe, since that looks like a great weapon, and my melee skill seems to be far better than my ranged skill, at least with the Tooth and Claw brothers, or whatever they're called.

I liked how you got bonus xp for clearing out Zhao's place--wish that had been the case for the Glaze. :D

Do you guys ever read the newspapers? I noticed when I told Wong to be careful not to trust Ming he got a little upset, but the newspapers sitll had the Ash Rivers article. The next time I spoke to him I said something favorable about Ming, and the next thing I know the newspapers had an article about him and his daughter....

I'm heading off for the Society of Leopold. Got me a ton of ammo, a katana, a flamethrower, some Diet Pepsi and some snacks, life is good. I'll take care to search the area for the special katana, stoffe, since that looks like a great weapon, and my melee skill seems to be far better than my ranged skill

The Tal'Mahe'Ra blade is found in the Hallowbrook Hotel though, and not at the Society of Leopold, so you should look for it there instead. I think that's your next stop after you have rescued Dr. Johansen.

As for Soc. Leopold, if you got a sniper rifle you can pick of the majority of the guards from the top of the cliff if you can manage to sneak around to there unseen. I think there's a back entrance down the mountainside across from the main entrance as well. I usually settle the score with the Hunters rather than just sneak in though. :)

If you have decent computer skill you can reprogram the laser trip wire boobytraps inside to make them blow up when the hunters patrol across them instead, though it might be hard to do so while remaining undetected if you don't have Obfuscate.

Be sure to pick up Grunfeld Bach's diary on the ground floor of the monastery before you proceed down into the basement; it casts some light on his past history and obsession with Lacroix. :)

^^^ Suicide is a handy thaumaturgical feat for that I've found.

Or Obfuscate + Dementation:Berserk... always useful for starting civil wars in areas with many armed enemies while you watch the fight from a safe distance. :)

(Suicide is part of the Dominate discipline though... Dementation has an equivalent in "Visions of Death" as well if you play as a Malkavian.)

Since we're discussing favorite abilities, I'd say:

Ventrue: Mass Suicide and Suicide, if there's still someone left

Tremere: Blood Boil, it repaints the area in the color of the enemy's insides :devburn: and I enjoyed using it on Johnny at the Glaze

Gangrel: Summon Wolf (or whatever it's called) and that swarm of insects (again, can't remember the name), yet two more things I enjoyed killing Johnny with.

I just like my katana, thank you. And I'm looking forward to seeing how the flamethrower goes. :D

You probably want to bring a gun with good range for when you run into Grunfeld Bach though, since he can be pretty annoying to try to fight in melee sometimes. He rarely lets you stay close for very long before using his cross to blind you and zip away. And he's not possible to feed on (probably tastes too bad) so there's no point trying to get close for that. :)

With the flamethrower make sure you don't fire against the floor too close to you or you will set yourself on fire as well, and that thing really hurts. :)

The only fight I use the flamethrower for is

Andrei

. He lasts for about 5 seconds (apparently the flames stun him and he can't bounce off into one of his holes).

@Jae - if you read the spoiler, not that fight. The other one that you haven't gotten to yet...but will very soon. :D

Spoilers are irresistible. :D

The hunters definitely don't last long against a flame thrower, but you don't get too many charges with that weapon.

Yeah, I used a rifle on Bach for about 3/4 of the fight, then got annoyed at how long it was taking and how much blood I was having to use for auspex since my ranged skill is only 6. I finally ran up the stairs, caught him on the landing, and used the katana on him. He blinded me, but I could still hit him since I had him sort of caught in a corner. That's a very handy technique against the Kuei-jin, too, btw. If they can't get out of a corner, they're screwed.

Oh, and if you feed on 3 or 4 rats, it gives you 1 point in your little blood-bladder that you get from Pisha. Never hurts to have at least a couple points there.

OK, I officially hate werewolves.

Did you kill it or just avoid it? You can kill it by crushing it with the telescope dome doors. There is a control panel on the platform where you can close the door just as the werewolf passes through it. You'll need to turn on the power outside with the breaker on the small shed first though.

Requires some maneuvering to make the werewolf follow you in through the dome doors though.

Did you kill it or just avoid it?

I died horribly and quickly. And since my frustration level was a tad high because I had absolutely no idea what to do and didn't feel like running around like a maniac for 3 or 5 minutes or whatever the countdown is, I decided to save that battle for the next day. :) Of course, then I was an idiot and visited the Senate because I didn't have enough masochism in my diet today, apparently. What can I say, other than I'll return to the game and hopefully beat the darn thing sometime this century.

I must say the devs were very accommodating putting all those blood-dolls in Hollowbrook hotel. The flamethrower is sweet, though I did notice the devs also left you some handy torches to use on Andrei if you so chose.

You can kill it by crushing it with the telescope dome doors. There is a control panel on the platform where you can close the door just as the werewolf passes through it. You'll need to turn on the power outside with the breaker on the small shed first though.
This is one of the very few times where I've been really tempted to use god-mode just to learn the mechanics of getting through that battle without dying 30 million times, and then go back and replay it the 'official' way.

Requires some maneuvering to make the werewolf follow you in through the dome doors though.

Wolf-whistles don't work, eh? :D

Did you kill it or just avoid it? You can kill it by crushing it with the telescope dome doors. There is a control panel on the platform where you can close the door just as the werewolf passes through it. You'll need to turn on the power outside with the breaker on the small shed first though.

You're kidding me? I finished the game with every clan and didn't know that???? I can't believe it!!! :headbump

Well, I tried to catch the werewolf in the door and failed. When all else fails, there's God mode....

I've sided with

Strauss because I'm a little ticked off that LaCroix called a blood hunt on me....of course now this means I have to fight the Sheriff on top of Ming.

I'm working my way through the Chinatown temple right now.

Oh, the lever thing--on the right side is that little rod for you to push to move the bar off the door. Face the rod instead of the door (your left shoulder will be against the door). Push E, and then push W at the same time. It could be that you only have to push E and then W instead of both, but this is what worked for me. You should be walking forward now, pushing the bar. Once it's out of the way enough, the door will be unlocked. I might actually make it through the rest of the game today. :)

And here's a thread on gamebanshee about the problem.

Here's a good walkthrough by vampyri_lestat, and gamebanshee has a decent one, too. lestat's guide has some powerbuilding tips. I didn't know you could sell a book and then buy it twice to boost your stats instead of using it just once. I'll have to remember that for next game. :D

There's really no solution to the door thing except saving and reloading. I was just about to try the noclip when the door decided to work. Heck, maybe just enabling the console was enough to scare the door unstuck.

I took the same path that you're taking because hey I'm a Tremere and Max is my main man. He doesn't seem to treat me any more special though aside from letting me shack up in the Chantry. Which, by the way, is elegant... but because it's in an Elysium area, you can't feed on Heather. :(

I found the 3Dgamer site a little frustrating to use for d/ling the 3.5 patch (Hey, we can let you d/l the patch for free! Oh, wait--1 server's too busy and the other lost the file! But, we'll let you d/l it for 10 bucks for a year membership!!--No, thanks).

worthdownloading VtM page has the 3.5 patch, along with 1.2 official patch and unofficial patches 2.8 thru 3.4 in case you don't want everything in 3.5. The 3.5 patch is 185.4 MB.

Archived