Home

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (spoilers ahead)

Jae Onasi

There's really no solution to the door thing except saving and reloading. I was just about to try the noclip when the door decided to work. Heck, maybe just enabling the console was enough to scare the door unstuck.

I took the same path that you're taking because hey I'm a Tremere and Max is my main man. He doesn't seem to treat me any more special though aside from letting me shack up in the Chantry. Which, by the way, is elegant... but because it's in an Elysium area, you can't feed on Heather. :(

You didn't get

Skyline Apartments #4 from LaCroix?

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't know you could sell a book and then buy it twice to boost your stats instead of using it just once. I'll have to remember that for next game. :D
You have to be careful because you could inadvertently screw yourself out of some free ability/skill points. Most of the books will do a check before giving you the point, so if you sell/buy an extra point, your skill might be too high to get another freebie later on. Hope that helps.

DId you not read the spoiler in tk's post?

/

I thought you were replying to the non-spoiler part. :D

OK, idiot patch question--you just extract the files into the

program files\activision\Vampire-Bloodlines\Vampire file, right? The instructions in the readme are not as clear to my relatively n00bish self, or I'm making it harder than it needs to be. I was hoping not to have to manually put 7k files into their specific subfolders.

I found the 3Dgamer site a little frustrating to use for d/ling the 3.5 patch (Hey, we can let you d/l the patch for free! Oh, wait--1 server's too busy and the other lost the file! But, we'll let you d/l it for 10 bucks for a year membership!!--No, thanks).

worthdownloading VtM page has the 3.5 patch, along with 1.2 official patch and unofficial patches 2.8 thru 3.4 in case you don't want everything in 3.5. The 3.5 patch is 185.4 MB.

I dl that patch from filefront and it was a somehow faster than worthdownloading. Thanks to stoffe we have a changelog so we can choise what patch we want.

Win XP can open zip files and you will see a directory called "vampire". Take that and drop into program files\activision\Vampire-Bloodlines\ directory (folder). To check if the patch is installed right start a new game (any vamp clan) and first thing when you have control call for console, use "giftxp 500", spend all points then talk to jack. That should trigger a new lines in dialog. And a disable console side effect. :) (do this at your own risk!)

Also, is anyone who's finish the game using patch v3.5? I don't like the idea to get stuck somewhere in game (I already got 2 times "AI-disable" error message). Also I really like to use that patch.

getting replica katana in Santa Monica is a good thing for me

I'm d/l'd the 3.5 patch and I seemed to have put it in the right spot since I got histories enabled when I started up a new game. I got an AI-disable message in Gimble's office, but it didn't do anything to game play, so I don't know how significant it is.

I'm d/l'd the 3.5 patch and I seemed to have put it in the right spot since I got histories enabled when I started up a new game. I got an AI-disable message in Gimble's office, but it didn't do anything to game play, so I don't know how significant it is.

That was first message and the only effect I know is that the dialog doesn't start automaticaly. I forgot where was the second.

I suppose you already finish first play so what clan did you pick now?

sample of malkavian dialog

Just beat the game for the first time last night and boy, was it fun. :D

I sided with the anarchs and at the end, told LaCroix to go smurf himself after he set me up and tried to Dominate the sarcophagus key out of me. Then I left it on the floor after I slit his throat and kneed him in the nads. He crawls over and opens it and discovers the little present Jack left him. I about laughed my head off when I saw it.

Playing through a second time as a Malkavian. :joy:

Niner--if you haven't started too far--chose a female--the light leather outfit I picked up in Hollywood at the Red Spot is hilarious. Also, pick the dementation choices. The one with Samantha (the human girl who thinks you're still alive when you first get to Hollywood) and your dement choice about a pet turtle had me rolling laughing.

Think il tryed the game three times, all times i stoped play when i got to China Town. It was to long loading times, and way to many of them, and i dont know if i played unpatched and they fixed this problem or if it was just my computer that was crazy but all my controlls frezzed and the characther just runned or jumped or fight or whatever i was doing when the frezze starded. But the story was good, and the RPG aspects was good, but i had way to many other problems/bugs to enjoy the game for to long

• 2 weeks later...

The walkthrough by vampyri_lestat explains how to turn off the autosave function. I did notice an increase in load times as I progressed in the game, too. The Planet Vampire Bloodlines tech support may have some help for your problems.

I've had such a good time playing this game I wondered if anyone might be interested in the PnP version. I'm not sure how feasible it is to do online or in the chatbox/IRC, but it might be doable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The walkthrough by vampyri_lestat explains how to turn off the autosave function. I did notice an increase in load times as I progressed in the game, too. The Planet Vampire Bloodlines tech support may have some help for your problems.

There are only two ways to fix the load times of this game. Most of the solutions on planet vampire won't work for most people. The only two that work are to set your windows scratch disk to a separate physical drive on a separate IDE or sata channel than the drive VtM:B is installed on and fix the size to twice your physical RAM, and also to give it at least 1gb of physical ram in xp or 2gb ram in vista. The areas in this game are large and highly detailed, and in most systems the game has to load most of it's data to the windows scratch disk rather than into ram, hence extreme lag in load times. While VALVE did fix this problem in SOURCE, Activision only authorized the 1.2 patch for VtM:B,which did not include this fix. Hope this helps anyone trying to eliminate the 3 minute load times found in some of the later levels.

I've had such a good time playing this game I wondered if anyone might be interested in the PnP version. I'm not sure how feasible it is to do online or in the chatbox/IRC, but it might be doable.

White Wolf no longer publishes Vampire the Masquerade. It has been replaced by Vampire the Requiem, which is still World of Darkness, so it is mostly the same. Check out the introductory rule set at http://www.white-wolf.com/downloads.php?category_id=15 so you can decide how feasible it would be to play by IRC.

This might help some, along with zinervadonella's suggestions (and I have a feeling a lot of us wouldn't know how to accomplish what you suggested, though--you might need to give more detailed instructions for us non-techy-types). I haven't tried them, because I finally have a computer with good graphics and I wanted to play the game with those maxed out. It does look cool. :D

My save times, while noticeably increasing in Chinatown, didn't approach anything close to 3 minutes, thank goodness, but I have 2 GB of Ram on my laptop so that likely was a big factor in keeping the times down. I keep autosave on and live with the lag myself since it saved my butt more than once. :D

1.Enable the console. To do this, right-click on the game shortcut and choose

properties.Then add the " -console" command (without the quotes) where it

says "target" , so it will look something like this:

"c:\...\Vampire - Bloodlines\vampire.exe" -console

You can then push the "~" key while in the menu to bring down the console

and add your commands there if you like, though I would recommend you to edit

the config files as I say below and not add manually the commands each time.

The in-game console should be used mostly for testing.

2.The game needs a page file of at least 1.5GB. If you have 1GB of RAM or

higher your page file will probably be just right, If you have lower than

1GB of RAM you should change it to at least 1.5GB.To change the page file go

to : properties-> advanced-> performance-> settings-> advanced-> virtual

memory-> change.

3.To make the game manage the memory better you need to add the command:

[ -heapsize xxxxxx] to your game shortcut.

Where xxxxx stands for half of your current ram in kb. So if you currently

have 1GB of ram you should put : 512000

Open the properties of the shortcut and add the command so that it looks like

this: "C:\...\Vampire - Bloodlines\vampire.exe" -console -heapsize 500000

4.GO to : [installation folder]...\Vampire\cfg\ and you'll find the config.cfg

file. Open it using notepad and change the following commands to:

particles_enable_precipitation "0" [to disable the rain]

dsp_dist_max "440" [to lower distance of object render]

muzzleflash_light "0" [disables a smooth lighting effect]

cl_showfps 1 [shows fps]

5.Your next step is to create an autoexec file in the same folder as the

config.cfg to add some more useful commands.All you have to do is open

notepad , type the commands and save it as autoexec.cfg (beware not

autoexec.cfg.txt !). The game will automatically find the autoexec.cfg file

and run it.So the commands are the following:

autosave_on "0" [disables autosave and speeds up loading time]

cl_smooth "0" [disables a smoothing texture effect]

mat_drawwater "0" [disables water animation]

r_3dsky "0" [gets rid of sky animation and upper buildings]

cl_obfuscate_daylight "0" [Obfuscate discipline runs much better]

Note: IMO the 3 first commands in the config file and the disabling of the

autosave are a must. Also if your character has the Obfuscate discipline,

you should put in the above command also.

• 2 months later...

It's a highly entertaining choice (Malks I mean), I believe the Malkavian and the Nosferatu "should" have the most unique gameplay experiences, though, for different reasons. And it didn't necessarily come through in the actual game, especially in the Nosferatu aspect.

The Tremere are actually another good one. My first three choices, in order were Malkavian, Tremere, and then Nosferatu. All three are well worth playing.

And, I must say, Malk's rule. Have an argument with a stop sign. Talk weird (sometimes I had no clue what my character was saying, but it was hilarious). And drive people insane.

Nothing in the game beats Bedlam for sheer random laughs.

Well I've seen this game at the local PC store, but its quite expensive - roughly two times the price of kotor 2.

I don't have anything against WoD, but I'm no big fan either. Therefore I was wondering if the game is really worth all that cash.

And before anyone suggests it - no I'm not gonna download illegal software. Let others suffer at the mountain of knives ;)

@Crahsystor: I guess it depends on how much you value having cash vs. having a PC game that is markedly different from most RPGs out there. You can see this thread has run for 4 pages now after all of us jumped on the VtM bandwagon, so you can tell what we think about it. :D I think if the idea of playing a powerful vampire in a dark, modern underworld intrigues you at all, you will *not* be disappointed with this game. If you are easily offended by blood/gore, bad language, and other M-rated aspects, you might want to steer clear.

There's plenty of replay value in this game too with different powers and allegiances. Lots of dialog options and plenty of combat. So you'll get good bang for your buck in that regard.

Edit: And great soundtrack! :D

Definitely worth the cost. :) I love the game, working on my second playthrough. You can pick it up off Steam and other download sites for about $20, and I imagine some of the retail sites have it for a reasonable price. I picked mine up off Amazon for $29 but I noticed the price has gone up substantially--I suspect with all the traffic stoffe drove their way, they thought they'd up the price. :D

Have installed the game for like the fifth time now, and this time im gonna finish it ^^

The cause i havent done it before is that my comp have been acting really weird when i played it, with like 3min load times and some other bugs, but now i have got a new computer and it runs smoth.

Im playing as a Malkavian and are at Hollywood, but now to my question. I read somewhere that there is a mod that do so you activate more of the Malkavians "whispers", and i wonder if anyone here know where i can get it. The mod should activate whispers more often

Edit: Found it

Archived