Home

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (spoilers ahead)

Jae Onasi

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah ha, cool. I have heard about the stop sign but was not sure where that was.

I got the upgraded haven in downtown, with the fish tank, that is fun to watch...also the live in girl....she is very eager but i figure this is a non R rated game so i am guessing her services will be getting me money and blood when i need it.

[Lotus fleet sure looks cool...]

The female Malkavian dialogue lines with VV definitely give some unique insight on VV's character.
I never play as a female character. Care to expand on that?

...also the live in girl....
Heather. Yeah she doesn't do much beyond what you suggest, aside from parading around half-naked if you ask. Malkavians win again here though as not only does a Malk Heather go a bit loopy herself, she gives you an awesome pimp suit late in the game.

I must say the creators of this game has a huge imagination and a lot of energy to add all of these options. I can see why there ended up some bugs that the community patches help a lot on..with all these branching trees of possiblitiy with all the quests. In my play thru my character asked Heather to change her appearance, but i have not been back yet to see what she may do about it. Could be interesting :) but I am too busy in Hollyweird.

Heather has 3 appearances. The default one you first see her in, a goth chick outfit (blech) and the skimpy outfit.

As far as bugs go, you can put that down to two things. The first is the fact they were using an early version of Source, so I imagine in many ways they were pioneers, finding issues even Valve wasn't aware of at the time. The second is that Troika, in the same way as Obsidian, had the Black Isle disease of overreaching beyond their budget, timeframe, and talent (at least in terms of QC). Utimately that was their downfall.

Ah thanks Darth, and that is very interesting re Troika, i wondered about the development, it sure must have been a large and complex project to design so many branches to the plot and variations. It is indeed similar it sounds like to what happened to KoTOR 2 with all the lost and dropped content. thanks for that insight, it helps understand. Pretty amazing what the community mod packs are achieving. I have not hit any game stopping bugs yet, just some plot lines that dont appear to show up....but nothing major.

The only real show stopper I recall was a bug that caused a crash on a level load in the latter half of the game. It was resolved in one of the official patches. Most of the other problems were relatively minor, performance issues being the major bugbear (but again that was probably only half their fault given the state of the engine). I think funding, or more specifically lack thereof, was their primary problem. They just tried to do too much with too little and could never recoup the investment of their bankrollers, for which they paid the price. It's a great shame as I would much rather have seen Troika survive and Obsidian go down in flames instead, as to my way of thinking the real talent of Black Isle ended up at Troika.

I have to agree with you about Troika vs Obsidian, with the exception of Chris Avellone.

To me, Boyarsky+Cain+Avellone+some omnipotent project overlord to keep them in line and enforce good QA (concerning not just bugs, but game balance as well) could very well result in cRPG perfection.

I've always though Avellone was overrated personally. I like some of his stuff sure, but I've never understood the fanboyism he seems to inspire. The thing that annoys me most about him is all the interviews he gives where he prattles on about all the things that are the hallmarks of excellent RPG design, yet few of them are evident in any of Obsidian's games, the company he is chief creative officer of.

• 1 year later...

Going Giovanni on this thread.

I just finished playing this game. Looking past the hilarious animation, dated graphics, laughable AI, and lack of polish, I immensely enjoyed playing through it. I couldn't put it down.

My favourite part of this game was the narrative, especially in the latter end of the game when it was really building up. I also like the levelling system and provisions for very organic playstyles. And especially how you don't get XP for killing enemies - that's just gold.

The lore was interesting, too.

The haunted house level was probably the scariest level I've ever played in a non-horror video game. The abandoned sewers got to me too. *shudder*

The game is probably the first gothic-punk movie/video game I've seen. Interesting atmosphere; very close to cyberpunk.

All this said though, after playing through and seeing all the different endings, i feel sorely disappointed.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
40+ hours of playing to get a barely 2 minute pathetic ending that shows nothing of how your actions affect the kindred world in L.A., which you have, up to this point, been cultivating with carefully chosen dialogue options and actions (and, which was arguably what a huge portion of the game was about).

Disregarding that it did foil my half-game-long intentions/plans regarding the sarcophagus, I consider the part in the ending involving the sarcophagus to be a merit to to the writing, and the game experience as a whole.

At this point, I'm headcanoning the 'Legend' ending, though it doesn't fit my hopes completely: my character was a talker; a diplomat (that liked Nines to boot). He would have stopped to tell Nines his reasons for leaving the conflict, instead of just walking past and giving him the finger. As badass as that is, it communicates only one of the various dispositions available to your character through the game. I suppose the lack of ending options/permutations preserving consistency with playthrough-chosen actions is probably a result of a rushed game development cycle.

Overall, a good experience. I will probably play through again. This playthrough was a Toreador with playstyle being diplomacy/stealth/melee.

Next time, I'll probably try being a Malkavian.

I used the True Patch Gold Edition. I considered the Unofficial Patch, but i prefer the idea of playing the game for the first time with no extra content - only bug fixes. :)

The unofficial patch comes in two versions, Basic and Plus(which are selectable during installation). Basic is mostly just bug fixes, while the plus version restores things to the game.

There was a huge internet drama about the two patches a few years back, where, supposedly, the modders of True patch had stolen files from the Unofficial patch. That's not supposed to be the case, now, but the whole thing left me soured towards the "True" patch to the point that I won't even consider using it.

The Unofficial patch's "basic" option makes the True patch irrelevant, anyway.

There was a huge internet drama about the two patches a few years back, where, supposedly, the modders of True patch had stolen files from the Unofficial patch. That's not supposed to be the case, now, but the whole thing left me soured towards the "True" patch to the point that I won't even consider using it.

Although I don't intend on bringing that here(I wasn't really involved with it anyway), but it doesn't help how the author of the True Patch acts. He seems to consider the UP a mod, even if any patch for a game can be considered such.

I might've considered using the True patch back when I first bought the game(around '09), but at that point I wasn't sure about the UP either(I wasn't sure how much it changed, although I wasn't worried about the same things some would be). At this point, I'm fine with the UP.

I stick with the official 1.2

Yup, and that coming from one of the TSLRCM guys. Crazy, huh?

Not too crazy. Although there is a difference between the two games. TSL is built with a stable engine, and the crashes are either random, or caused by conflicts with mods(I wouldn't say K1 is exempt, since I've had it crash randomly as well). Bloodlines, however, was built with an early version of the Source engine, which obviously isn't the same version that was used in the released version of Half-Life 2.

As for the patch/restoration efforts, for TSL, it is dicey, since most of the effort was little to none(although most around here are well aware of that). For Bloodlines, the patch has been developed for quite some time.

Although the main point might be the bugfixes, something else the UP does is restore things that wasn't implemented in the game, though most of this is in the Plus version. The Blood Heal discipline for instance(uses blood from the bloodpool to restore health), among other things.

Yes, I learned of this whole issue when looking into patches for the game. I did not know about the file-stealing, however.

The True Patch community seems like a rather unsavoury bunch; a quick look on their forum yielded examples of extreme slander against the creator of the Unofficial Patch. I'm not aware of the whole situation, or if the slander was warranted (there wouldn't be many cases where it would be), but it was all rather distasteful.

By then, I had already installed and been using the True Patch and couldn't be bothered uninstalling it and replacing with the Unofficial Patch (which would have likely required me to start a new character as well).

In any case, I care little for the people of the creators of the True Patch or whatever drama they might have been involved with; their product is good, so I'll use it. :)

Archived