Home

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (spoilers ahead)

Jae Onasi

I run the game on Vista on my laptop, and it works fine. However, mine's 32-bit so I don't know if 64-bit will make a difference or not.

Yes, it is compatible, but only with the unofficial patch. I've run the game on Vista Ultimate 64-bit without a hitch before I switched to Windows 7 Ultimate (also 64-bit).

Thanks very much! I'll definitely look into getting this, then. :thmbup1:

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah? wow. I remember Santa Monica as having quite a few people like that in real life, (i grew up in Santa Barbara ) ...hehhehe

but i will keep a wary eye out... I am a bit sorry not to get to see all the restored content in the full 6.6 patch but i will be good and play with out that for the first time...i love restorations. :) thanks for all the help guys, i think my copy of the game will arrive this week, which is great, just in time for my Birthday which i hope will be in this new experince :) really appreciate the tips.

it is amazing how much work has continued on this game in the patching and community work. Great to see.
It shouldn't be surprising - after all KOTOR is a year older than Bloodlines (a year and a half if you count the Xbox version) and it has all sorts of modding still going on, as evidenced by this very forum. Hell, there's still a strong mod community for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, and those are 11 and 9 years old respectively.

Yes good point..what i should have said is it is wonderful to see. I have the greatest admiration and respect for these efforts .... they make the original games so much richer in so many ways.

Though I'm not sure if other games have had the same sort of case, for Bloodlines, things Troika cut for the release, is still on the disk(or rather within the vpk archives), just not used within the game. Such as the myriad of scenery pieces that the 6.6 patch adds to many levels in the game, along with a unused few models, and quests that the official patch won't give you(such as the poster quest, as in it doesn't log in the quest menu).

OK, installed today and it wont run. VtMB. I get this error:

vampire caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module vampire.exe at 001b:00000000.

Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Context:

EDI: 0x00a1af08 ESI: 0x01922ac0 EAX: 0x00000000

EBX: 0x201cc6e0 ECX: 0x02401fbc EDX: 0x00000000

EIP: 0x00000000 EBP: 0x0012e5a4 SegCs: 0x0000001b

EFlags: 0x00210202 ESP: 0x0012e3d0 SegSs: 0x00000023

Bytes at CS:EIP:

?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

-----[ SysInfo ]-----

Error occurred at 12/11/2009 14:29:18.

1 processor(s), type 586.

21% memory in use.

2048 MBytes physical memory.

2048 MBytes physical memory free.

0 MBytes paging file.

4092 MBytes paging file free.

2048 MBytes user address space.

1468 MBytes user address space free.

It loaded fine and i get the start screen but when i select play.....black screen and no go.

from reading the many many other post about this on the net, i believe i have too much RAM, i have 3GB. Is there any way around this? I am using an AMD 3400 2.6 ghz system, with FX 7600GT card, XP Pro, i did the 1.2 patch and then the 6.6 basic.. but no joy. Any fix for this?

=========================================

UPDATE: Got it running! :)

I was able to get the game to run. thanks for the posts everyone.

I copied all the dll files in the BIN directory in the game install to the main directory esp the MS32.dll. I also was able to restore the main vampire.dll in the Vampire/dll folder and made sure that the python entry was correct in the registry. Now it runs fine. I stared wtih just the 1.2 official patch and ran it thru the intro movie to the tutorial section and the first bite. Then i installed the unofficial 6.6. patch and it seems to be running fine. There are some console errors but i guess i will wait to see what they mean...or if they impede play.

consoleio.jpg

There were over 200 entries in Google for the same error and lots of people having trouble with this, so i was glad to be able to figure it out. I am not sure yet if those console errors that showed up on start up will hurt anything but i will watch carefully.

I am assuming that console comands need to be re entered each session.

OK, installed today and it wont run. VtMB. I get this error:

It loaded fine and i get the start screen but when i select play.....black screen and no go.

from reading the many many other post about this on the net, i believe i have too much RAM, i have 3GB. Is there any way around this? I am using an AMD 3400 2.6 ghz system, with FX 7600GT card, XP Pro, i did the 1.2 patch and then the 6.6 basic.. but no joy. Any fix for this?

=========================================

UPDATE: Got it running! :)

I was able to get the game to run. thanks for the posts everyone.

I copied all the dll files in the BIN directory in the game install to the main directory esp the MS32.dll. I also was able to restore the main vampire.dll in the Vampire/dll folder and made sure that the python entry was correct in the registry. Now it runs fine. I stared wtih just the 1.2 official patch and ran it thru the intro movie to the tutorial section and the first bite. Then i installed the unofficial 6.6. patch and it seems to be running fine. There are some console errors but i guess i will wait to see what they mean...or if they impede play.

consoleio.jpg

I put the fix files into a fix pack which is here: VtMP Fix Pack

There were over 200 entries in Google for the same error and lots of people having trouble with this, so i was glad to be able to figure it out. I am not sure yet if those console errors that showed up on start up will hurt anything but i will watch carefully.

I am assuming that console comands need to be re entered each session.

I'm not sure, but I think those errors are the same ones I get. They don't impede play as far as I've seen.

Though for the console commands, they will stay active on the save you entered them on, such as if you begin a playthrough and active either the "god" cheat or the "Buddha" cheat, you' wouldn't die at any point on that save, though for other saves, it won't affect them. For some cheats, such as money, you can add that to your autoexec file, located in "[main-bloodlines directory]/vampire/cfg", by just adding "money [number, usually not more than 1.20]".

ah ok thanks. I am so glad to get things running and to see the start. The graphics look really nice in the brief glimpse i had in the tutorial section. The little details, like the light of the man lighitng the cigarette before i bit him, those touches are epic and really great to see. Thanks for the help ...looking forward to my first play thru.

btw, is there a way to restore or activate the histories before i start? I understand they are turned off by default, ...because they were unfinished? is this fixed by the 6.6 mod? I did after all install the complete version, not just the basic, i really wanted to see all the restorations. I will hopefully be able to figure things out as i go along.

If you look at the console in any Source game (HL2, Portal, etc.) you'll always see errors of one sort or another about missing files and the like.

As far as real errors go, the only thing I seem to recall having problems with, aside from random crashes, was to do with Python. It wouldn't run with a newer version I had installed. But that was years ago - I think that was addressed in one of the unofficial patches.

ah ok thanks. I am so glad to get things running and to see the start. The graphics look really nice in the brief glimpse i had in the tutorial section. The little details, like the light of the man lighitng the cigarette before i bit him, those touches are epic and really great to see. Thanks for the help ...looking forward to my first play thru.

btw, is there a way to restore or activate the histories before i start? I understand they are turned off by default, ...because they were unfinished? is this fixed by the 6.6 mod? I did after all install the complete version, not just the basic, i really wanted to see all the restorations. I will hopefully be able to figure things out as i go along.

I'd assume that for the clan you chose, it just says "History:None" under the info menu, right?. The histories were implemented in one of the first few unofficial patches, and of course are active in the 6.6 version(the same I'm running).

Your best bet is to look at the History names and effects in the new game screen, chose the one you want(but not start a new game), then load your already started save. Open the console, and type "vhistories", which should give you a list of histories available to your clan. Find the name of the one you selected, and then type in "vhistory", along with the number beside the history name.

I chose Toreador ...on advice from here :) mm, uh, I think i understand about what you say about histories, i do have 6.6 installed and the console is active. I havent started playing yet so i dont have save, just ran it yesterday to be sure i had it working. Am a totaly newbie but looking forward to it a lot. thanks for all the help everyone.

and i did wonder about the blue colour on my starting out character model but hope i get 'unblue' eventually :)

I chose Toreador ...on advice from here :) mm, uh, I think i understand about what you say about histories, i do have 6.6 installed and the console is active. I havent started playing yet so i dont have save, just ran it yesterday to be sure i had it working. Am a totaly newbie but looking forward to it a lot. thanks for all the help everyone.

and i did wonder about the blue colour on my starting out character model but hope i get 'unblue' eventually :)

That bluish tone only appears on the new game menu when choosing the character stats, and the "info" menu in-game. It won't, or shouldn't appear on the models in the game.

And as a Toreador, you'll want to watch losing humanity. It might not even become a problem, but as you lose double the humanity that other clans would lose, and thus might frenzy easier.

If you want to go for melee, put points into brawl, melee, and strength. If you want a more shooter type game, put points into dex and wits. Don't put points into firearms initially--you'll find a firearms book in Santa Monica on one of the quests. Save your game, sell it to Trip, and buy it back twice. If you can only buy it once, go back to your previous save and just use the book so you don't lose the money. Just make sure to explore everywhere and talk to everyone you possibly can. You'll get a lot more quests, which will give you a lot more xp. Sometimes after you do certain quests, people will have new dialogue options for you.

Also, anything that increases your persuasion is good--it opens up a lot more dialogue options for you, and can keep you out of fights. Remember, you get xp for completing quests, not for killing everything that moves.

You can gain humanity points back if you dance in a few clubs for about 5 minutes. If you go to the dance floor, you'll eventually find a selectable dance option. Select it and just dance until it says that you've gained humanity. You can only do this once per club.

You can gain humanity points back if you dance in a few clubs for about 5 minutes. If you go to the dance floor, you'll eventually find a selectable dance option. Select it and just dance until it says that you've gained humanity. You can only do this once per club.

Seriously? In all of my many playthroughs I never figured that one out. It's nice to know that there are still new things I can discover about this game. :)

There's one in the Asylum, and I believe one in Ash's club. I don't think there's one at the club in Downtown LA.

At Confession its a small area, though it is there. Should be the right-top of the cross, when looking at it from the bottom, or near the entrance. There is one at Glaze too, which should be the area directly across from the main doors. Though I've never really used the dancing thing much, aside from when I play as a female Malkavian, though still randomly.

GReat thanks so much for the suggestions. What a hoot,the dance thing. and a great way to restore humanity too lol. In both virtual and real worlds. :) thanks a LOT..for all of that. I am looking forward to the dialogue, i love games where there is a lot of conversation and interaction, really do.

I was bluish in the tutorial scene where that guy talks to you and give you the how to of The Bite...etc..... but maybe i was just not well fed yet :)

"That guy" is Jack. Also know as "Smilin' Jack." He is quite possibly the greatest NPC of all time.

He is so awesome, his voice will be mimicked by robots in the future.

Archived