Home

Frets On Fire, Guitar Hero Clone for Windows, Linux, and Mac, that is actually fun!

BongoBob

Clicky.

Frets on Fire is a Guitar Hero clone for Windows, Linux, and Mac, that I havn't been able to put down. It has a built in importer for Guitar Hero songs if you own Guitar Hero or Guitar Hero II, but the best part is the community, for you can take your own songs and make them work in the game with enough skill and patience. And most of them (Enter Sandman is just kick ass to play) are damn accurate (and sick as hell). And if you don't like playing with a keyboard and are on Windows, you can always buy the RedOctane universal converter and use a GH controller with it.

It only comes with 3 songs (4 including the tutorial) but if you search Frets On Fire on any certain torrent sites that mind start with iso and end with hunt or the pirate and bay, you'll be sure to find more.

So who here has played it before? I just got a perfect rating (95% accuracy) on the GH2 Beast And The Harlot on easy, and got and a perfect rating on Enter Sandman.

I'm waiting for a guitar imitation game to fully recreate Maggot Brain by Funkadelic. Only then will I give in to the temptation.

(Also, the tutorial's comments are based off the parody video of Yngwie Malmsteen)

By the way, do you know if they have guitar tabs for these songs anywhere? It's frustrating to not be able to play these songs on the keyboard even though I could on the guitar.

Just downloaded it and played it. Great fun. I was suprised by how natural the controls felt, but I wasn't very good :D

62% accuracy on easy :/

However for some reason the sound quality isn't very good on my computer, but that's probably a hardware compatibility error. It's by no means bad, but it's a slight annoyance.

Nice find Bongo :D

EDIT: Okay, now I'm addicted.

I got all the GH1 and 2 songs, and am gonna start playing through them in the order of the game. I played Ace Of Spades by Motorhead earlier today, god I love that song XD

Btw, it worked excellently at school today when running from my old MP3 player turned portable hard drive :D

Just downloaded it and played it. Great fun. I was suprised by how natural the controls felt, but I wasn't very good :D

62% accuracy on easy :/

However for some reason the sound quality isn't very good on my computer, but that's probably a hardware compatibility error. It's by no means bad, but it's a slight annoyance.

Nice find Bongo :D

EDIT: Okay, now I'm addicted.

Settings -> Audio: Make the buffer size bigger.

You're welcome.

I get an error when I try to install it.

"The specified module can not be found.

LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed"

It makes me want to cry, as I've beaten every song on both Guitar Hero games on expert except Jordan and I want to make some new songs. If anyone knows what's up and why it isn't working, could they pweese help?

EDIT: (aw damn, didn't notice how old this topic was, oh well. My needs are more important than this threads oldness!)

(aw damn, didn't notice how old this topic was, oh well. My needs are more important than this threads oldness!)

Generally, if a thread is still on the first page, it's not old.

I've never played Guitar Hero, but isn't the guitar controller half the fun?

That reminds me. I wonder if the built in importer in FoF works for GHII 360? Would add some more songs to my library.

I've been trying to do the GH songs on Hard And Expert. This is where FoF's main weakness comes into play. Hitting shift and enter back to back just doesn't jell that well for me. Meaning the songs you can semi-easily strum out with a GH controller are suddenly impossible.

http://www.freetar.net/forums/

that is freetar hero.. a java based console that has been in the works way before frets on fire... anton styruk had to leave the program because he got a programming gig for activision and cant do anything else related... more ppl took up the code and is working on constant player felt enjoyment of making their own songs for it..

Nalukai----1348/40,000 scorehero.com expert GH2

62 of 64 completed

27 of 64 5 star

14 of 64 6 star

9 of 64 7 star

0 of 64 8 star

2 of 64 100 percent

expert lvl hyper speed..

get a ps2 to usb and play it online is what i say... at least what ppl make are challenging.

Hey, does this game - when you play the Guitar Hero 1/2 songs - have the same notes? If so, I wanna see if Bongo can do Jessica and Less Talk More Rokk on Medium.... hurrrrrrr this must be so much easier on a keyboard hurrrrrr....

Speaking of Less Talk More Rokk, I unlocked that song yesterday and it's so fun and easy to play that on medium I've gotten 5 stars 3 times out of around 10 tries. 170k FTW! :D

Hey, does this game - when you play the Guitar Hero 1/2 songs - have the same notes? If so, I wanna see if Bongo can do Jessica and Less Talk More Rokk on Medium.... hurrrrrrr this must be so much easier on a keyboard hurrrrrr....

jessicaawesomenesszz7.jpg

I just sight read that too. AKA never looking at it before :D

EDIT: That's Jessica by the way.

It's harder with the guitar, man. Tell me, (I really don't know) how do you play? Is it like number keys with the space bar as the strum paddle?

Also, if my defense back-fires, I'll just blame your playing of drums as an excuse for any unwarranted talent. :xp:

Archived