Home

[ART] Spaceship 3D design

Heyo , I need some opinions about this ship I moddeled .

Its not fully completed yet , no textures and all , just some standard material from Max .

But the model itself is done ( just the pain of UVW-mapping this thing ) , well I can't hide it , but it look fameliar to the Falcon , mainly the rear of the ship , front is more of that "Rebel Corvette" you see in ANH . Some of you might know that the first concept-designs for the Falcon where more "Rocket-Like" like the Rebel ship mentioned above . So I fused it together :D .

I was planning to do some sort of hammerhead , like the Kotor Republic ships , but ...well changed my mind on the go I guess :lol:

Without further ado the pictures ( with nice glowing effects :p ) :

And if you want to see a silly try-out flight movie click this :

Spacers.jpg

Spacers7.jpg

Spacers4.jpg

Spacers6.jpg

It's alright, although not-so-vaguely reminiscent of the YT-2400, although I also see your other comparison. Hard to give you really good crits on the model because it's a render and not a wireframe, but if I had to take a guess from the screenshots I'd say it's maybe a little too rounded at the edges (which may just be preference speaking). The rest of the detail seems good, though.

I was going to mention the textures, but noticed what you'd said about them, so make sure to show it off once you have your textures made. I'm very interested to see what it looks like when it's 100% completed. ;)

And I won't comment on that animation. :p

Héhéhé , Thanx , the animation was just fast made , so it turns out weird :p

YT-thingy I don't know what it is ... I don't know much about the EU .

It's a low-poly model , so the wireframe is very angular , lots of sharp corners .

I applyed smoothing groups here and there , maybe I went a bit over the top .

And does anyone know a good movie editing program to add some sound to my little clips ;)

EDIT: the wireframe pic and one UVW-thingy :

screen1.jpg

WireSpace.jpg

UVW-Render.jpg

Windows Movie Maker is (surprisingly) a very good movie editor, if you just want to add sound.

That model looks really good. Reminds me of when I used to model ships, heh. Sorry I can't say it's mind-blowing, being a bit of a modeller myself. ;) But I really liked your second render - very cinematic stuff there.

Heck, this is making me want to resume 3D Art. :D I think I'll go back to it in my vacations.

Umf , UVW-mapping is pain in the A** :p

Lost some time to get it ok . So I just recently started to texture , and here are the first results for the ship , not much yet .

Comments are welcome .

The belly :D :

Tex-Render.jpg

Plates on the back :

Tex-Render2.jpg

Darn, dude, it's a very sexy ship! For me I always use model to make the actual details. Well, what can I say? Your ship is terrific! Keep up good job! And nope, I can't do the spaceships like it. Try NURBS modeling if u got a chance, they're far better than Low-Poly.

Hello again , thanks for the many replys :)

Here's another small texture update , hope you all see the newer "details" .

You won't believe it but it took hours to tweak these :D .

EDIT: @CSI , yep its a low-poly model , +- 1000 polys .

When its finished I might try to get it in TSL ; still have the modding tools hanging around on my hard-disk or maybe JA ???

A bit distant view :

Tex-Render3.jpg

Closer to main bulk of the body , hope the plating looks good :p

Tex-Render5.jpg

Top view :

Tex-Render4.jpg

:p thanks to all for the nice comments .

Here's another mini-update , just worked on the front part , but just the top-side .

Let me know if you think it fit well together or are it more two different ships glued together ( texture-wise ) . EDIT : Another pic !!! :D

Tex-Render7.jpg

Tex-Render8.jpg

YES! ANOTHER PROGRESS! [Looking at the ship addictively] Yes! Keep up TERRIFIC job, Quannon, and I hate to stop upgrading this masterpiece.

For the movie, I think you can smooth out the turning. I found the turn is too sharp. For a ship like that size, it shouldn't make that sharp turn, try to smooth out movements in Curve Editor and Dope Sheet. [Just an opinion, I'm not an animator, but a model designer]

@CSI : thanks for the help :p , I'll have good look at those graphs , I had to work with them before , didn't know they would come in handy for this more simple animation .

Another small WIP-pictures of the cockpit , see-through windows :D .

But I still need to model the interieur , so its a but weird looking ;) .

And thanks again for the replys , I real aprriciate the good critics and tips .

Tex-Render11.jpg

The back of the cockpit:

Tex-Render12.jpg

Glass works !!! Fiddling with Max and textures :headbump :

Tex-Render13.jpg

That is very good! I really am dumb when it comes to graphics, so please excuse my ignorance.

I liked it. The ship just looks a bit too . . . too . . . graphic.

Anyways, that's the point of view from a person who doesn't understand how it woks. but it is still very good! :)

Hey , we're back ! :p

The Texturing is finished ( for now :D , can't stop tweaking ) , I'm now working on the visible interieur of the cockpit.

But here are some more renders , to show to you . Just let me know what you think . Is it a good style? Does it fit in SW ? What would you change or add ?

I'm to suggestions , any other comments are welcome to .

So here they are :

Bottom.jpg

Top.jpg

LeftSide.jpg

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

PerView.jpg

Heyo just one more "candy" :p

Its a small movie I assembled with that windows movie thingy tool .

Its a bit cheesy , I know :lol: .

But it took a hell lot of time to render the takes in 3D Max , last one took about 5 hours , auch :D .

Anyway here's the link , I think its a little bit better then first edition ;)

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/?action=view&current=Film_0002.flv

Hello , I'm back with a new ship design .

And I already started to do a little Texturing , but I'm not so happy with it .

Anyway , here are some quick renders to look at . And let me know what you think about this one .

EDIT : added an other version of the ship , it was some sort of béta ;) .

I've stopped working on this model cause the turret looks like crap and I didn't like the shape of the main-hull .

RRENDER04.jpg

RRENDER06.jpg

RRENDER02.jpg

TexRender.jpg

The béta version :p :

Render05.jpg

Another WIP update , the main body has been textured . Know I only have to do the engine-outakes and the turret .

So without further ado the pictures in chronogical order :

TexRender03.jpg

TexRender08.jpg

TexRender07.jpg

TexRender06.jpg

The belly with the "door" visible and it can open ;) :

TexRender05.jpg

Archived