Home

[RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.

Bitmap212

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think there is the potential to create a good SW MMO, provided you have a good dev team (ie not SOE), but you would have to solve the various inherent problems that currently plague MMORPGs. Many posts here claim it wouldn't work because they already have SWG and LA won't/can't support two MMOs. The problem with that argument is that SWG sucks, not to mention it's ancient in video game years. I think that a new SW MMORPG based in whatever time line deemed appropriate has the potential to be very good. The jedi conundrum is obviously another issue that would doom any attempt at an MMO if it is not done right.

The problem is LA is kind of stuck with SWG. If they come out and say Galaxies is done and they'll do a new one, there will be an outcry from all the players that spent countless hours building up their characters and invested time in the game.

If LucasArts were to do an expansion to Galaxies that was like a spin-off to KotOR, that would be okay, especially for Galaxies players who like the KotOR timeline better than the Glactic Civil War Era. However, to make KotOR 3 an MMO would be a major screw-up, since one of the most attracting things about KotOR is the story, and MMO's aren't exactly known for good stories... after all, not everyone can be a super-powerful Jedi like Revan and the Exile.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162675

Okay, I'm now officially a bit worried...

Meh. It's just CVG posting an article on EGM's rumour report which is what started this thread to begin with or in other words more of the same. :)

I will have to check out the "news" about Mass Effect being pushed back to September though.

I don't know what LucasArts is going to do with SWG but it seems like they need to reinvigorate it. Maybe LIAYD's idea is the one they'll pursue, returning SWG to its roots and using a KotOR MMO for all the Jedi-wannabes. If a KotOR MMO does end up happening though I'm almost guaranteed to try it out as my first experience with a MMORPG. ;)

The problem is LA is kind of stuck with SWG. If they come out and say Galaxies is done and they'll do a new one, there will be an outcry from all the players that spent countless hours building up their characters and invested time in the game.

well, to a certain extent I agree, but you have consider that as technology improves there will be new games to replace old ones. I mean, everquest 2 had no problem replacing everquest 1. Yea, people from EQ1 complained but SOE kept both games running and let people choose which they liked better. SWG is about 4 years old now, isn't it? A new SW MMO to improve upon SWG is not completely out of the question.

That said, personally I'm not all that into MMORPGs anymore. I'd much rather see an open-ended single player RPG like Oblivion made in the KOTOR storyline.

Well, an MMO would stink, especially considering how you have to pay a ton of money MONTHLY, and also, even if they lowered the fee and it actually worked, how many adults do you know have the time and energy to spend it on video games? The teen agers and children are who play more, but they can't pay, their parents have to pay.

Also, if you make millions of revans or exiles or whatever run around, then what point would it be to be that character? you'd just be a clone. Plus, the ability to tweak your character as much as you want in KOTOR, especially name, would all be ruined. And also, what would happen to the party members??? I mean, the party members many times have been an important role, like Bastilla, who turns to the darkside, or Kreia, who in fact is a Sith Lord. Without this, how fun would an MMO have? And since we have seen that in terms of plot the new developers aren't terribly good, this would only screw it up.

how many adults do you know have the time and energy to spend it on video games? The teen agers and children are who play more, but they can't pay, their parents have to pay.
You'd be surprised! And there are several MMOs that are successful, so they obviously can pay. :)

Yeah...the millions of people playing World of WarCraft are all bots...sure man...There's no "real" people playing any MMO...drugs are bad for you.

Of course real people play MMORPGs. Runescape and World of Warcraft have over eight million people playing... each, that is!

However, not all players do so for the same reason. There are certainly bots playing or people playing multiple characters at the same time to earn game credits that can later be converted into hard currency. They are probably few (or else there would be little point, since who would they then peddle their wares to?), but they do exist.

MMORPGs are rarely plot-driven, though, and there's a fundamental difference in style right there.

A single-player CRPG like the KotOR games have very linear plots, but while that may seem restrictive gaming-wise, it offers better potential for richer plot and characters because it can all be specific to the limited conditions that have been set for the game. CRPGs are frequently plots as seen in movies or novles, where the player has some semblance of influence over the fights, but not how the plots evolve.

MMORGPs, however, must by definition be generic, because the demand is "one size must fit all." Every character in MMORPGs is a pc, so there are only protagonists and virtually no sidekicks. Therefore the format of the game must fit to the player's character no matter how that character turns out to be. This frequently makes for very generic "plots" in the form of quests that the protagonist can have nothing invested in personally. The driving force is solely the accumulation of power, be it in experience levels, gears and items, credits or whatever.

Some like one, some like the other. I tend more toward CRPGs myself, because the plots are deeper, and the MMORGPs often look too much like hackfests and dungeoncrawling to me, but that's personal taste and not criticism. If MMORPG is your thing, then good for you. I just haven't enjoyed them so much yet.

Yeah...the millions of people playing World of WarCraft are all bots...sure man...There's no "real" people playing any MMO...drugs are bad for you.

You haven't seen ProgressQuest, have you?

Or, say, many other MMORPGs where the fun is not in playing the game, but rather in coming up with scripts to bot your way to victory, arguing with the "other side" in saying that you are really not cheating, and not getting caught in the process. Some developers hate cheaters, but other developers secretly support them...after all these developers get money for more "accounts" playing the game. It does not matter if they cheat, or if they do not cheat, only that they "play", and thereby let the developers gain valuable ad reveune.

I also vouch with Jediphile the existence of people using bots to play the game to "mine" lots of in-game credits to sell in real life. Some services "train" your characters, so you don't have to play, you just pay to get an uber-powerful Being.

In the end, you can cheat in an MMORPG to win. This means that unless I cheat, I lose. You say: Only a few people "cheat"...so what? I say: Those few people have became much more powerful than me, and they have done so by violating the social contract...or playing by a different social contract that I refuse to play.

So much for playing MMORPGs for "fun". Here's one big strike against KOTOR MMO.

IMO, a mmo set in the KOTOR timeline COULD work. For example, there are two distinct factions of relatively equal power (Republic/Sith) and i'm talking about the jedi civil war era. Unlike the current star wars mmo where the rebels are supposed to be a bunch of underground freedom fighters who are up against the imperial juggernaught, there is actually a full scale war going on where players could choose which faction to pledge their allegiances to or stay nutral and work for whoever offers the most credits ie: smugglers and bounty hunters. Also, it would solve the jedi problem that SWG always had, people could choose to become jedi and it would be perfectly cannon. And as far as the balancing of jedi and the other classes goes I got the impression when I was playing KOTOR1 that the jedi/dark jedi were not the all powerful beings that they were portrayed as in the movies. It seemed like non-jedi were killing jedi quite a bit at that time in the galaxy.

just my two cents :nod:

You haven't seen ProgressQuest, have you?

No, nor do I give a damn.

Or, say, many other MMORPGs where the fun is not in playing the game, but rather in coming up with scripts to bot your way to victory, arguing with the "other side" in saying that you are really not cheating, and not getting caught in the process. Some developers hate cheaters, but other developers secretly support them...after all these developers get money for more "accounts" playing the game. It does not matter if they cheat, or if they do not cheat, only that they "play", and thereby let the developers gain valuable ad reveune.

I'd love to see serious evidence of this. In fact, buying gold for example, would lower the revenue for any game. Why? People spend less time farming, thus less time playing.

In fact, I'd love to see you somehow assume that every single MMORPG follows these things. It seems to be a symptom of free games, from what you're telling me.

I also vouch with Jediphile the existence of people using bots to play the game to "mine" lots of in-game credits to sell in real life. Some services "train" your characters, so you don't have to play, you just pay to get an uber-powerful Being.

Power leveling and gold buying. Some people pay for that. So what? It's the loss of the person paying those services. If somebody has an uber character, what does it change in your life?

In the end, you can cheat in an MMORPG to win. This means that unless I cheat, I lose. You say: Only a few people "cheat"...so what? I say: Those few people have became much more powerful than me, and they have done so by violating the social contract...or playing by a different social contract that I refuse to play.

So much for playing MMORPGs for "fun". Here's one big strike against KOTOR MMO.

So, they become much more powerful then you. So now you must cut yourself because your life is over?

Hey, I wonder why I keep replying to your senseless posts.

I agree, it doesn't have to be a replacement for K3, the era is cool and so is galaxies, why not mix it up a bit? the more Star Wars the better I say.

exactly. it dosen't have to REPLACE K3. This project IF (and it's a big if) it's even going to happen might just be KOTOR Online NOT K3. they might release K3 as a completely different game. That way the the singleplayer fans and the multiplayer ones will be happy.

Here what can imagine a report of the mmo state after two days.

Two days after press release the KOTOR MMORPG is filled filled with 8 year old siths wielding double ended light sabers. So far only five member have become Jedi and the rest of the population are exchange bounty hunter who have vowed to hunt these Jedi down...

I don't think it will go well.

Two days after press release the KOTOR MMORPG is filled filled with 8 year old siths wielding double ended light sabers. So far only five member have become Jedi and the rest of the population are exchange bounty hunter who have vowed to hunt these Jedi down...

My interest in the KOTOR MMO just gone up. 5 people versus the rest of the game would be quite...fun. For the bounty hunters I mean.

Here what can imagine a report of the mmo state after two days.

I don't think it will go well.

Well, if it's this hard becoming a Jedi, then all Galaxies problems have been solved! Hooray!

Well, if it's this hard becoming a Jedi, then all Galaxies problems have been solved! Hooray!

If its hard. What if your allowed to start as one. Or even worse the way you become one is some ridiculous quest which involves a Banana a mans stomoach and some wookie fur?

Archived