Home

[RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.

Bitmap212

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you guys, if it's gonna be a MMO game of kotor i'd say no, if kotor 3 comes out.. i would like to have some kind of option to go online, but first you'll have to complete the game like as Revan, but in a online experience, there should have been some kind of option in the menu where it says who you can play as, not that I care, but I would like it to be something like this: I.E they could have put in characters like Revan who cannonicaly is a male, you could have followers in the game as Bastila and Carth, since in kotor 2 you'll see a small cutscene where you'll see Bastila and Carth, all of the other is dead, since they crashed the shuttle in the ground, Mira survives if you play the lightside ending, but if you'd like it to be different, just say so... this is how I want it... in the game you'll play online, you have to have a good persuade skill even if you would like others to join you if you don't have good persuade skill the persons influence will go down and he won't talk to you at all (failure), you can't cotrol this, only the person with a high persuade skill, and also it should have been something like this: if a character has been taken, others can not choose this person or skin(I.E I wanna play as Revan, it stats: I'm sorry but this character is already taken, choose a different character to play with.) and it could have been different skins like Darth Malak in the online folder, and it should have been something like this: JKA possibility to play online, just so you don't have to push the button again and again...

Personally I doubt that yet another Star Wars MMORPG will be released. But then again, World of Warcraft is such a total mind blowing success.. developers want to have their share of that market. And they go on and copy Blizzard's game, but that's senseless.

I read somwhere that, among MMORPGs:

Wow: 8.million players

Lineage 2: 1.5 million players

SWG has perhaps 300.000 players.

Do you really think that Lucasarts will release another MMORPG?

^^

I wish I was that certain... While there is a tradition for KotOR-games on the pc now (I think it safe to say that a K3 would obviously not be for the old Xbox), there is little doubt that the money is made on the console-games due to all the piracy on the pc.

I won't be getting a console just to play a single game, though, when I have a perfectly good pc capable of playing games on my table.

Well judgin that I dont expect K3 to be released in the next 10 months ill be fine because im starting saving up for my new pc from now. By the time its out I should have a nice rig, or two or three... maybe a house of my own.

I just don't think they would be so foolish to not release it. I mean surely they know if they don't that ill send hate mail. I think I got that point across last time they wern't going to release it for the pc :wink:

In reference to the original topic, all I have to say is this:

I do NOT want KotOR to be defiled by some power-gaming lifeless 1337-sp33king nerds. The KotOR community is one of the best out there because most of its members are literate, thinkers, and play a game not just for violence and pwnage, but also for story and characters. Could be wrong, but I think SWK is the most active forum here on LF, and given that this is an SP game, I think that says a lot about us and the game.

A MMO for Star Wars will NEVER work. Why? Because everyone wants to be a Jedi. Come on now, every Generation X boy wanted to be Luke Skywalker. Is it because he was a whiney farm boy from some backwater hack planet? No, it's because he was a FREAKING JEDI. He could block lasers with his lightsaber. He could levitate droids & rocks & crap with his mind. Come on, he choked to pig dudes with just a simple gesture. He cut off Darth Vader's hand and kicked him down a flight of stairs. He got his @$$ zapped by lightning from the geezer Emperor, stood up and said "s'at all you got b!tc#??"

Let's face it, everyone wants to be a Jedi in an MMO. If that weren't true then you wouldn't see so many noobs in every single MMORPG begging and pleading to have someone power level-up for them. Take a look at the member directory here on Lucasforums. How many people have any of the following in their names:

• Luke
  • Vader
  • Skywalker
  • Jedi (like me for example)
  • Kenobi
  • Darth
  • Sith

Then you get the guys that think they're creative by having names like "Luke Vader", "Obi Wan Skywalker", and "Darth Boba." If there was a KOTOR MMO then you'd see such original names like "bAsTiL@_sKy\/\/@Lk3r_1236579874".

The problem with everyone being special, is that then nobody is special. Human nature dictates that power must be held by the few and the elite. I'm not saying it's right, it's just how it is.

If Lucasarts were to release a MMO and call it canonical then I'll turn my back on Star Wars and go to something else. I know I don't stand alone on this either. Maybe I should consider hosting Anne of Green Gables conventions.

So please, if anyone from Lucasarts is actually browsing these forums, I beg you to please keep things sacred and holy, and not fall into MMO heresy.

A MMO for Star Wars will NEVER work. Why? Because everyone wants to be a Jedi. Come on now, every Generation X boy wanted to be Luke Skywalker. Is it because he was a whiney farm boy from some backwater hack planet? No, it's because he was a FREAKING JEDI. He could block lasers with his lightsaber. He could levitate droids & rocks & crap with his mind. Come on, he choked to pig dudes with just a simple gesture. He cut off Darth Vader's hand and kicked him down a flight of stairs. He got his @$$ zapped by lightning from the geezer Emperor, stood up and said "s'at all you got b!tc#??"

Let's face it, everyone wants to be a Jedi in an MMO. If that weren't true then you wouldn't see so many noobs in every single MMORPG begging and pleading to have someone power level-up for them.

Well, not everyone, though I do think you're right that this is indeed the core of the problem.

It's not one that can't be overcome, however. The simple solution is to set the MMORGP during the time of the original trilogy or just before. Then it won't be a problem because there are no jedi. And no, we won't allow anyone to go to Tatooine or Dagobah ;)

Well, Galaxies is set during the Original Trilogy...that went really well...

Jedi are a core problem. If developers do not allow Jedi, what makes a Star Wars MMORPG...well Star Wars? It's like the Lord of the Rings Online without Hobbits or World of WarCraft without Orcs. It becomes a standard sci-fi RPG that only "true" fans can fully appreciate. Unfortunately, our numbers are not that great.

Yes, Everyone who plays a Star Wars MMO wish to be a Jedi, But it is not the problem . The Problem is Just the Timeline. If you make the game suitable for a SW MMORPG, then there will be no problem.SWGs first problem is the timeline, according to timeline, there were just 2 jedis alive , the GCW will not provide enough variation for players to get on a side and fight each because it was between ep4-ep5 and there is just Empire crushing all Galaxy and there are a few Rebel forces and 2 Jedis.

As i said, The timeline is The Problem not the Jedis.

KOTOR is the BEST timeline for a SW MMO

Jedi, Sith, Republic , Mandolorians, Chezka Corp, The planets, the visiual environment , The Factions and the Races makes KOTOR the Best for a SW MMO.and i know lots of people who want to be Mandolorian or Sith or a Bounty Hunter working for Hutts, NOT want to be a JEDi. Also, KOTOR can create the difference between Jedi and the Sith, SWG couldnt do this.

I am praying to be the Rumour is True.

If it is, We will taste the BEST Star Wars Experience Ever.

Actually according to the Expanded Universe stories of Star Wars, there were many more than just Kenobi and Yoda. Since Star Wars Galaxies is way the hell far away from being canonical Star Wars, I think it's safe to assume that there could be a few hundred Jedi and force-trained people. However due to the great Jedi Purge of Darth Vader, they would all be in hiding, just like Kenobi and Yoda.

I guess I won't mind if there is a MMORPG based during the KOTOR timeline. However if it's the official KOTOR3 story, then the entire Star Wars space/time continuum will collapse. Well o.k. maybe not that dramatic, but it will be horrible if they make it the canonical storyline. But if you do that, then why not make it take place during the Hyperspace war, or the Exar Kun war? Heck, even the Mandalorian War would be better.

I will be honest, I've never played Star Wars Galaxies. I am a huge Star Wars fan and I wouldn't wipe my @$$ with that vile filth. Why? It's just a poor quality game. There's nothing in the story that draws me in. I guess that's because there is no story. Just a bunch of wannabees running around pretending to be Jedi. It reminds me of the UK census when all those people put "Jedi Knight" as their religion.

<sigh> It's almost a shame to admit that my ancestry is nearly all English.

Goodness, please, for all that is holy, no! When Warcraft got turned into an MMORPG, it sounded awesome in theory, but it ended up being little more than an endless grinding spree for gear, faction reputation, consumables and so on. Now either you go hardcore and join a raiding guild that hits endgame instances every day of the week, or you just go around playing with alts and trying to avoid teaming up with lamers who will get your whole group killed.

P.S.: Don't get me started on the beggars, the bots and the gold sellers spamming ads all day.

Oh how I would cry if KOTOR was actually made into an MMO. It ruins absolutely everything KOTOR stands for...

After years of playing WoW (Which I only played for the few good friends I had at the time) and other MMOs and giving them all up, I don't think I could ever look at Star Wars again without having a bad taste in my mouth.

Damn, I can't even look at the Matrix trilogy anymore without feeling depressed after playing Matrix Online.

I like smaller, smarter communities and WoW really began to suck the life and sanity out of me after awhile. When Role-Play died for me in the game, I lost interest very quickly. It wasn't worth even the incredible friends I made to keep playing that mind trap.

See? Even thinking about it makes me sad! :cry8:

how can you be so sure about the kotor MMO will ruin the kotor legend?. i played wow, swg, eve online and i say that it is not imposiible to create quality role playing in a MMO. first of all you should seperate SWG into pre-CU, CU , and NGE. NGE is a crap this is obvious, CU was a plan to transform swg into a Wow clone, but pre-cu...

pre-cu had the best uniqe system for a mmo and people played this game not just killing each other or climb Levels like wow , they played for the community they played for rp , watching sunset at mos eisley, meeting friends at Mop, just feeling the atmosphere in Cantina, and i was there man ,be sure, pre-cu did it BEST. and still some of pre-cu vets (right now about 19 000 people) trying to bring this awasome game back. u can look from here:

http://www.swgemu.com.

Bioware is the best rpg game company imo, and if Bioware is developing a Kotor MMO, just relax,you can be sure they will consider all these concerns.

if you want to play a good MMO game it should be monthly paid, because single player games and online games arent same. online games have monthly costs, immediate bug fixing, customer services and lots of things, but all this costs bring you one thing that single player games cannot give you:

playing with other real people. playing NOT with the same repetitious AI, the real human logic.

yes it is an expensive entertainment, not just money time costs too. But if you want a quality community, immediate help when you have a problem, fast servers, and good expansions for the future of the game, yes: it should be monthly paid.

and please dont be prejudiced, as i said before KOTOR Timeline is the Best Timeline and if Bioware is developing the Kotor MMO ( please GOD)

This game will be a legend...

playing with other real people. playing NOT with the same repetitious AI, the real human logic.
My issue is that that real human logic is often not a complete fit for the universe it is in. For me, it is very hard to get immersion in a game world with human players. For FPS MP games that isn't too bad, but that is why I tend to perfer SP games...

My issue is that that real human logic is often not a complete fit for the universe it is in. For me, it is very hard to get immersion in a game world with human players

Tell me about it.. I play DDO and if I hadn't joined the guild I'm in, I would've quit playing by now.

It's great at first (read: excusable) when everything is "fresh", but once you start getting the hang of things and wanting to seriously get in to it... That's when it's hard to enjoy playing when you're pugging and hearing "zOMG, I totaly pWned tht kobold!!!1!! LOLLOLOLO... " >.<

Archived