Home

[RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.

Bitmap212

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
high quality Developer brings high quality Subject, high quality subject brings high quality community..

for example: Dark Age Of Camelot or Eve Online

...high quality community, brings in 'plat farmers' and other 3rd party buy our gold, credits, items spam...

It doesn't matter who makes it or what the subject is, all mmo's will attract 'all sorts' (there are plenty of horror stories for both DAoC and Eve on Google). Even paying a monthly fee doesn't stop them :fist:

However, the benefit of having the 'high quality developers' would be a dev team or support staff to limit the annoyances or layeth down the ban-hammer :)

Still I totally agree with True_Avery on the "not paying to play a game I already paid for." It's foolish. It makes no sense. If anything the game should be a FREE download, and then you pay for monthly subscriptions.

Because I like the Matrix and Star Wars too much, I have never played their respective MMORPGs. I have known people who were the biggest SW fans in the world, and the moment they played SWG, Star Wars died to them. They actually now hate Star Wars just because of how SWG RAPED the subject matter.

Like I said before, I don't care if they make a MMO based on Star Wars at the timeframe of KOTOR. However please dear God, don't let them market it as the official canonical KOTOR 3. They'll still make their money off the suckers who get sucked into MMOs (please don't take offense to that, I'm just stating my opinion), however they'll lose millions in revenue from people who are faithful to the KOTOR series.

if you want to play a good MMO game it should be monthly paid, because single player games and online games arent same. online games have monthly costs, immediate bug fixing, customer services and lots of things, but all this costs bring you one thing that single player games cannot give you:

playing with other real people. playing NOT with the same repetitious AI, the real human logic.

Yes it brings me also:

playing with dumb real people, including chipmonk kids, diluted fret boys, cheaters, professional grinders.

playing NOT with the same repetitious AI, the real human logic. They are only even more repetitious, killing the same darn thing over and over again to level, and picking on preferably n00bish low level, or whatever the lowest weakest target that is deemed profitable, preferably ganking.

Granted, MMO can be good, I had my share of fun(and unfun) with SWG.

yes it is an expensive entertainment, not just money time costs too. But if you want a quality community, immediate help when you have a problem, fast servers, and good expansions for the future of the game, yes: it should be monthly paid.

From what I remember, bug fixing is not that immediate, and usually causes other problems. But yes I am willing to pay every month if things are worth it.

and please dont be prejudiced, as i said before KOTOR Timeline is the Best Timeline and if Bioware is developing the Kotor MMO ( please GOD)

This game will be a legend...

No it is not. And you know that whatever favor of the story and what not will not exist after a few weeks, cause ole-playing really does not exist that much in an MMO, and same goes for storyling. Everything is mostly devided to "things that give good loot and such" and "things that are useless" And storyline? what storyline. I mean think about WoW, it is fun, really fun, but really the whole Warcraft is just a name that draws in players... there is not much warcraft worldview about it.

every community has stupid and low quality people man

just look at Knight Online and than Eve online see the difference

repeting,

KOTOR is Freakin Suitable For a MMO imo

and

role playing will be exist in this MMO because it is Bioware..

Still I totally agree with True_Avery on the "not paying to play a game I already paid for." It's foolish. It makes no sense.
Why does it make no sense? Those huge servers don't run and maintain themselves, nor does the bandwidth pay for itself. How do you propose the extra costs above the development be payed for?

Why does it make no sense? Those huge servers don't run and maintain themselves, nor does the bandwidth pay for itself. How do you propose the extra costs above the development be payed for?

totally agree.

they dont understand the difficulties and costs of an online game server.

When quoting me, please use the whole quote as appropriate. After that sentence I also said:

It makes no sense. If anything the game should be a FREE download, and then you pay for monthly subscriptions.

That'll take care of their server maintenance, bandwidth, and whatnot. Let me get a little preemptive here.

Q: Oh but it doesn't cover development costs. How can game companies make any money?

A: Yawn. I don't care. I refuse to have to keep paying for a game after I already pumped $50 or more to take it off the store shelf. I really simply do not care.

I know a post like this ought to really go in an off-topic forum, but I beg the moderators to please forgive me in this instance. I want to set something straight.

I'm not saying that MMOs need to be banned or anything like that. I don't care. I'm not even trying to insult anyone who plays MMOs. My personal opinion is that MMOs are idiotic, but hey I feel the same toward reality TV. What the @#$% is wrong with people where they sit and stare at these boring shows on TV? It's like my cat who sits and stares at me no matter what I'm doing (cooking, working out, gaming, pooping, gettin' some from my wife, etc...). Are these people not better than my cat, a non-sapient animal?

I feel like Maximus Meridius (Russell Crowe's character in the movie Gladiator) standing in the middle of the arena shouting out to the crowd "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"

With that said, I (normally) silently protest what my opinion deems as sheer nincompoopery (heh heh...hey Beavis, he said "poop") out of respect for my fellow human and their God-given gift of sapience and freedom of choice in such matters. And after all, my opinion is exactly that, nothing more than an opinion.

Reaching my conclusion (not just this post, but also to my involvement in this discussion) while I strongly feel that a KOTOR 3 MMORPG would be a foolish venture for Lucasarts, and whomever gets suckered into making the rotten festering filth, I respect the desire and choice of those who decide to partake of it. I promise that I would not look down on my fellow human, as long as he/she understands that we are better than my cat (although he is a cute son-on-a-gun).

With that my friends, I bid you I bid you adieu, and game on. And remember, if you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!

I don't know. Before getting into MMO's, I played online FPS a lot. The transition was actually great for me. People are less aggressive in MMORPGs and less stupid...at least from my personal experience.

Speaking of the CS community? :)

I've also played a lot of FPS and World of Warcraft.. and there isn't all that much difference anymore when it comes to community..

That'll take care of their server maintenance, bandwidth, and whatnot. Let me get a little preemptive here.

Q: Oh but it doesn't cover development costs. How can game companies make any money?

A: Yawn. I don't care. I refuse to have to keep paying for a game after I already pumped $50 or more to take it off the store shelf. I really simply do not care.

:eyeraise:

How does this answer the question?

high quality Developer brings high quality Subject, high quality subject brings high quality community..

for example: Dark Age Of Camelot or Eve Online

If only it were that simple. Unfortunately it is not. The classic argument that "good games sell and crap games don't" can be safely ignored. Lots of games rated very highly in reviews had very little success, while games with lower ratings sold many, many copies.

The games you mention were successful because they offered something new. Dark Age of Camelot had horseriding, for example, while Eve Online has a totally unique niche - the game has no competitors in its own field, which must a dream-come-true for CCP Games. Eve Online also has a very well founded concept to built on - if the fanbase grows (and it has been steadily for several years), then it's very easy to add a new solar system to the - quite literally - expanding universe of the game.

No. Quality alone won't sell or attract an audience. But unique and original features can.

Yes, Everyone who plays a Star Wars MMO wish to be a Jedi, But it is not the problem . The Problem is Just the Timeline. If you make the game suitable for a SW MMORPG, then there will be no problem.SWGs first problem is the timeline, according to timeline, there were just 2 jedis alive , the GCW will not provide enough variation for players to get on a side and fight each because it was between ep4-ep5 and there is just Empire crushing all Galaxy and there are a few Rebel forces and 2 Jedis.

As i said, The timeline is The Problem not the Jedis.

KOTOR is the BEST timeline for a SW MMO

Jedi, Sith, Republic , Mandolorians, Chezka Corp, The planets, the visiual environment , The Factions and the Races makes KOTOR the Best for a SW MMO.and i know lots of people who want to be Mandolorian or Sith or a Bounty Hunter working for Hutts, NOT want to be a JEDi. Also, KOTOR can create the difference between Jedi and the Sith, SWG couldnt do this.

I am praying to be the Rumour is True.

If it is, We will taste the BEST Star Wars Experience Ever.

i agree 110% kotor is the ideal timeline for a SW MMO :eyemouth:

I've also played a lot of FPS and World of Warcraft.. and there isn't all that much difference anymore when it comes to community..

No, Battlefield 1942 and the mods. Seriously, aside from a few idiots here and there in World of WarCraft, I've had a pretty good experience. Battlefield, although fun, had some pretty horrible people playing it. I asked for help thousands of times just to be ignored in 99% of the cases. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, it just wasn't fun to play with stupid people anymore.

I also played Diablo 2 online for quite a while. That was even worst. I will not speak of it, because it brings back bad memories.

If there are any doubts on BioWare and a MMORPG title in the works, here is an article directly from the horses mouth:

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2006_03_15_Austin/

I didn't get a chance to search every post in this thread, so I apologize for missing the link if posted.

Aparently, there is a MMORPG on the way, but the title for the game has not been released. If 'Knights of the Old Republic' becomes a MMORPG, I personally believe that my experiences with the KotOR series will end. It looks like they have been working on the project since March 2006.

R.I.P. KotOR

R.I.P.

Given that Bioware has officially said that they are not working on KotOR3 in their forum at the beginning of march, can we lay these speculations to rest, please?

To echo Chris: if it's being done, it's certainly not being done by us.

http://forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=552506&forum=22&sp=0

EDIT: The quote is from page 2 of the discussion on Bioware's forum

If there are any doubts on BioWare and a MMORPG title in the works, here is an article directly from the horses mouth:

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2006_03_15_Austin/

I didn't get a chance to search every post in this thread, so I apologize for missing the link if posted.

Aparently, there is a MMORPG on the way, but the title for the game has not been released. If 'Knights of the Old Republic' becomes a MMORPG, I personally believe that my experiences with the KotOR series will end. It looks like they have been working on the project since March 2006.

R.I.P. KotOR

R.I.P.

its been developing since December 2005.

i believe it is a KOTOR MMO.

here is a Poll, i wish to see your votes too:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/127825

Yes, Bioware is doing a MMORPG. But no, it's not KotOR3. They've said so themselves. End of story. Case closed. It's not gonna happen. It doesn't exist. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.

they said we are not developing Kotor 3 and we are not planning to develop.

But they said nothing about their MMOs IP. Star Wars or not, we dont know. but we have some tips about these, look at these two Jobs, opened a few days ago by Bioware and Lucasarts:

1) IT IS USING HERO ENGINE http://www.play.net/playdotnet/platform/

2)IT IS USING STREAM BASE ENGINE http://www.streambase.com/

THESE TWO THINGS CUTS THE DEVELOPMENT TIME FOR YEARS.

BioWare ADD A NEW JOB AT THEIR JOBS PAGE: "PRODUCER - LICENCOR LIAISON"

BioWare Austin is searching for a Producer-Licensor Liaison to assist the team in the development of assigned products from concept to release. The successful candidate will have the primary responsibility for tracking, managing license submissions, and securing approvals from a 3rd party licensor.

AND:

Project Management

* Manages and tracks all license approval submissions and the overall submission process including follow up and contract compliance.

* www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/positions/austin_producer_licensor_liaison.html

And this added to Lucasarts career page a few days ago:

Sr. Director - Online Gaming Business Unit

Department: Galaxies Product Development

Job Purpose:

To lead the Online Gaming Business Unit including managing the Star Wars Galaxies service and establishing new Online Games consistent with publishing goals. Reports into the VP of Global Publishing, and will have up to five direct reports

www.lucasarts.com/company/job/projld/job20070509.html

Producer Lisensor points an outside IP.Sr.Director points new online game. result = New online Star Wars Game by Bioware ? probably

we will see at Celebration IV..

Bioware wants a new, ORIGINAL IP. KOTOR is not a new or original IP. It is an IP owned by LucasArts. So, any MMO Bioware is making will need to use new IP that Bioware itself owns, meaning it cannot be KOTOR.

So it would seem that BioWare is developing its MMORPG using a licensed IP and that LucasArts is looking for someone to fill an upper management position that oversees SWG and works on developing new online games as well.

Just read that. Hm. I think it gotta be anything but KOTOR, but if it is KOTOR...

KOTOR MMO IS DEAD TO ME!

Bioware wants a new, ORIGINAL IP. KOTOR is not a new or original IP. It is an IP owned by LucasArts. So, any MMO Bioware is making will need to use new IP that Bioware itself owns, meaning it cannot be KOTOR.

BioWare Austin is searching for a Producer-Licensor Liaison to assist the team in the development of assigned products from concept to release. The successful candidate will have the primary responsibility for tracking, managing license submissions, and securing approvals from a 3rd party licensor.

Project Management

* Manages and tracks all license approval submissions and the overall submission process including follow up and contract compliance.

contrarily, this points that they are using an outside IP, not their original.

Archived