Home

[RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.

Bitmap212

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please, no. It's not that I'm averse to the idea of an MMO set in Star Wars, or even during the Old Republic, but the 4000-3900 Era is off limits. Do it at a better time, like 500 BBY, or 5000 BBY.

QFE.

It's completely beyond me how people can even suggest this in an unfinished, ongoing plot with very few jedi remaining. KotOR3 needs to settle that.

Doing something from, say, 3900 BBY until the time of Darth Bane is completely open and you can do whatever you want. The very notion of having it happen smack in the middle of the KotOR games, replacing KotOR3, seems very peculiar to say the least.

Yep, basically if supposing KOTOR III happens even a decade after TSL, you got almost two thousand years to invent whatever you want... I actually suspect that if they don't go on forever with the Legacy era and beyond, the most explored times will be those years and from the formation of he Republic up to the first stories chronologically. And from a thousand BBY to Jedi Apprentice or something... As far as I know, the earliest thing in the thousand year era after the Sith disappearance.

Yes, thats what we REALLY REALLY need. An era of star wars filled with a new language of l33tsp33k, trolling, grinding, and omfg h4x. That, of a city with bunches of Jedis yelling at each other, dancing around in cantina with sabers on, or training a krayt Dragon to the n00bs..

Yes, K3 MMO IS SUCH A GLORIOUS IDEA.

Personally I feel a Kotor mmo would be something that I would not enjoy. I loved the first two games in the series and want a third that would follow in their footsteps. Why take a great series like Kotor and change it now? This makes no sense to me. It seems there is a legion of loyal Kotor fans out there who would prefer the game to stay as a single player game, perhaps with a new engine but not an mmo.

I played galaxies for awhile and enjoyed it but to stop Kotor when the series is unfinished(in my opinion) and turn it into an mmo is just not what I want to see.

I have to admit though, its been a long time since Tsl and I'm a little concerned that Kotor 3 will even be made.

An idea just hit me like a ton of bricks: What if LA decides to release KotOR III a month or two before the (hopeful) KotOR MMO to build enthusiasm for the online game?

The "anonymous spacers" think kinda pisses me off too; they should just declare the individual quests in Star Wars MMO(s) non-canon. They did that to the entire game of Star Wars: Rebellion.

My desire to see a KotOR MMO come from 2 basic things: (1) I really enjoy the Great Sith Wars era, and (2) I'd like to play a GOOD MMO that isn't WoW. I tried Galaxies twice, once right after launch(which was pretty good), and again right after the class structure got nuked by a patch; Vanguard looked immensely promising, but it got released unfinished and SOE got ahold of it, too.

Besides, it seems as if Bioware is the Midas of the video game industry nowadays: everything they touch goes gold.

Wait. They are busy coming up with a great engine, but they don't even say what the game ACTUALLY IS?

What sort of hype is Bioware trying to inspire here? The fact is, what if we don't like the theme of Bioware MMO? Then we won't play it, no matter what fancy new tech they would have.

Oy Scopester! BioWare isn't ready to talk about their MMO game's story yet, that is all. Why get so concerned about a MMOG that is still 18 months+ from being released? While I agree with your statement that people won't play the game if they don't like the theme there is still plenty of time to make that determination. My guess is that we'll get some content info on BioWare's MMO by around this time next year. Of course I really want to know if it ends up being an MMOG that uses the SW license but it doesn't seem like that is a likely scenario.

The interesting thing about this is the Streambase technology that BioWare will use. It should give BioWare much better insight into what their players are doing and be able to enhance the role playing experience while helping to prevent people from using cheats or exploits. This tech is apparently powerful and promising enough that the CIA is reportedly investing in it. :eyeraise:

Lets see, we have 70790 fantasy MMO, and WoW is still going strong, amongst other things. Would be nice if we have a more sci-fi ish MMO, or better yet, STEAMPUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sorry but I really don't like the idea of a k3 MMO. It is just not practical to have two Star Wars MMO at the same time, unless you close down SWG and kick sony in the junk, which YOU SHOULD(I mean the kick sony in the junk part).

As I've said before, I do not think that the production of a MMO by Bioware Austin set in the KotOR time period would interfere with the production of KotOR III at Bioware's other studio. If anything, I think the emergence of a "KotOR" MMO would ensure that the next chapter or two of the KotOR saga end up getting prioritized for production, as multiple important galactic conflicts within the time frame of the Great Sith Wars (we've already got Exar Kun's War, the Mandalorian Wars, the Jedi Civil War, and the First Jedi Purge) would make great "new chapters" to allow the thoretical Great Sith Wars MMO to expand into.

I think, due to the decidedly different atmosphere of the Great Sith Wars time period (Republic vs. Whoever) and the Galactic Civil War(Empire vs. Rebellion), allong with different gameplay mechanics would allow Galaxies to continue to exist. Another MMO, especially one with a differrent class/combat system, would likely appeal to those gamers who quit Galaxies after SOE released the patches that completely destroyed that game's class and combat systems.

This new technology Bioware has obtained would definitely be extraordinarily useful in producing and maintaining an MMO, especially one set in a Star Wars era that they have working experience with(indeed, they basically defined the general atmosphere of the Great Sith Wars era in KotOR). This, along with Bioware's hiring of an employee to deal with liscensing, could very well point to the production of an MMO possibly set in the Great Sith Wars era by the Austin studio.

As I've said before, I do not think that the production of a MMO by Bioware Austin set in the KotOR time period would interfere with the production of KotOR III at Bioware's other studio.
As BioWare employees have said before, BioWare is not making KotOR 3. This pretty much makes BioWare making KotOR 3 along with a KotOR MMOG a moot point. Perhaps BioWare is making a KotOR-based MMO. Only time or a reliable insider source letting their tongue slip will tell but they're not making KotOR 3.

As BioWare employees have said before, BioWare is not making KotOR 3. This pretty much makes BioWare making KotOR 3 along with a KotOR MMOG a moot point. Perhaps BioWare is making a KotOR-based MMO. Only time or a reliable insider source letting their tongue slip will tell but they're not making KotOR 3.

for the record, I was referring to the worst case scenario, in which KotOR III isn't currently in production anywhere(which we can assume is happening).

I should have phrased it "future production of plot-based KotOR games;" However, I don't think a Great Sith Wars-era MMO would qualify as KotOR III, at least in terms of plot development. This, I think, is the sort of Ben-Kenobi-esque-not-telling-the-truth-but-not-actually-lying Bioware could be using to cover up the production of a potential KotOR-era MMO.

I should have phrased it "future production of plot-based KotOR games;" However, I don't think a Great Sith Wars-era MMO would qualify as KotOR III, at least in terms of plot development. This, I think, is the sort of Ben-Kenobi-esque-not-telling-the-truth-but-not-actually-lying Bioware could be using to cover up the production of a potential KotOR-era MMO.
I haven't seen or heard anything about what BioWare's MMOG is. Of course there are the rumors that it's KotOR-based but don't seem like very substantial rumors and BioWare has maintained their silence on that front. LucasArts hasn't provided any insight on the matter either and they would be in a position to, if BioWare's new MMOG is Star Wars-based.

So yes, we've got no info about BioWare's MMOG. As for myself I don't think BioWare's new MMOG will use the Star Wars license but we'll see whenever BioWare decides to make an official announcement about it. And no, I don't think a KotOR-based MMOG would qualify as KotOR 3 either. :) But then again, we were only told that LucasArts would not leave the KotOR franchise behind so the franchise wouldn't necessarily have to be continued as a single-player RPG. It could be continued as an MMORPG. But this doesn't seem likely to me. :giveup:

Archived