Home

PRE-CU Galaxies

Gargoyle King

I hear there is a SWG-Emu in the works to allow players to play servers that existed before the NGE and CU patches that many felt destroyed the game.

I have yet to play Galaxies, would anyone recommend I wait and play for free on these emulated servers or just pay and play with the current game experience? Since I have never played Galaxies, and therefore also pre-NGE or CU i was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the pre-CU Galaxies experience and if would be worthwile playing again rather than the game's current state.

Yes, there is an EMU being built (slowly) that will allow for free play of the game the way it was origionally meant to be played.

This has good and bad points. I'll list the bad poitns first (this is a very short list...)

1. it's not ready yet.

2. soe probably doesn't like it, but they are too afraid to say anything publically about it as it will start yet another wave of the majority of the pre0cu players telling them how stupid they were to change the game with SOE claiming that their mysterious test group (probably a couple of bums who were paid to lie about the nge being better) syas that the nge is better. From the hundreds of people I asked online after the NGE, 3 people had something positive to say about it. 1 of them actually like d it better, the otehr two just said (and I agree) that the new targeting brackets in jtl were a good addition, but the ground game is not worthy to scrape camel dung off your shoes.

The Good.

1. no levels. It's puely skill based. You can buy any skills you want as long as you don't exceed the maximum of 250 points, and have the pre req skills.

2. no need to ever restart your character. when you get bored with your current character, you can unlearn your skills 1 at a time freeing up points to buy new skills in a different area so you never have to go back tothe equivelant of level 1.

3. Flexability. There were around 30 different skill sets to choose from, and no restrictions on what combination(s) you chose.

4. SOE hates the emu project. (no real proof, they won't comment, but it makes sence that something that will conservatively draw away about .5 million per year in revenue from subscriptions can't be liked. I just hope that LA get's it's money from the game sale, and not the subscriptions. I like LA, just not SOE.)

5. It's actually going to be run by players. this means that the people who might make changes will be affected by them, so have a vested interest in it.

6. Community. while I'm failry sure we won't get the same quality of community back we had origionally, it's bound to be better than the current bunch of whiners and babies in SWG or even worse the wow croud. Vanguard isn't much better than wow, eq2 is growing stale, and none of the other games are really worth playing.

The following is a neutral point for all of swg- It's the buggiest game I've ever played. Even includeing beta tests, this wins hands down for bugs; however, in every case, you could simply relog and fix the bugs, or at worst, log in in the morning after the daily server resets and complete the bugged quest before it breaks again. for some reason a server reset always did wonders for the game's buggs.

Just going to shut up here, but I could go on for hours with how great the game was pre cu despite my personal opinion of starwars in general. (though Empire Strikes Back is a dam good movie, the rest of them were well below average).

if the EMU was successful it would mean for the better and worse the worse being that SOE Sues for millions of dollars however this could turn out like SWC were LA did not intervene at all and let it stay a good widely open 2D game. the best being it brings us together and allows us to Modifiy it freely (Like how Every one wanted Coruscant that a person good at modelling and Coding could do so) however the EMU would have to stay Moderatly Covert in order not to fail and on a side note LA owns Galaxies so I belive they would have to Personally Intervene.

• 1 month later...
I hear there is a SWG-Emu in the works to allow players to play servers that existed before the NGE and CU patches that many felt destroyed the game.

I have yet to play Galaxies, would anyone recommend I wait and play for free on these emulated servers or just pay and play with the current game experience? Since I have never played Galaxies, and therefore also pre-NGE or CU i was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the pre-CU Galaxies experience and if would be worthwile playing again rather than the game's current state.

I would reccomand(sp) you use the 14 day trial and try the current game and read up on the PRE CU SWG and decide which one is better.BTW I heard Your account can be banned by joining SWG EMU

Well I was around Pre-CU, the later part of CU, and now NGE. All versions of this have had issues. Although honestly I prefered the non-level, skill based system over what we have now. I do like the way armor works in NGE now. The way it looks is just that...the way it looks. A creative AS can make any armor type just as good as another with some work at it. Was I happy overall with NGE when it got dropped on us? Hell no. Am I learning to see that maybe it was being used as a new baseline to slowly over time bring back the good parts of both CU and Pre-CU? Maybe. I do know this. It is slowly getting better over time. Maybe even one day they will get it back to where it was in the begining. A wonderful freeform game with countless options for your character vice the WoW cookie cutter game it has become now.

Call it what you want but you have a few things when it comes to private servers. Take a look at any of them, they exist for just about any MMO.

*Quality is usually pretty bad.

*Support is usually pretty bad

*People playing are usually not the highest calibur. Remember its free to play so you are going to draw that crowd. Regular users of Private servers are not exactly use to playing by the rules. They are gonna want increased loot drops and XP, anything to make it easier.

*They tend to have issues with requiring donations, selling stuff for real money...selling favors....all sorts of corrupt issues.

*Private servers tend to make the owning company very angry as they are basically stealing from them. Argue if you like but many private servers have been shut down for all games from WoW, EQ, UO, Lineage 2 you name. It all depends...SOE is known to go after private servers.

*On top of it, the server could just shut down at any time for any reason up to and including the guys running it getting bored with it or tired of working on it.

You might get some play out of it for awhile but its going to be a weak shadow of what you remember.

These guys are making all sorts of promises but can they really back them up? Its pretty doubtful. Like I said look at any other private server for any other game. They are usually a mess and end up dying because the service sucks, corrupt adminstration, poor performance or get shut down.

i started playing SWG pretty much from day 1. I loved it so much, i played non stop untill i got way to busy last spring to keep playing. Last february i got the urge to play again, not knowing about the new CU. So i installed the game, purchased a 6 month subscription and went online.. i have never been this dissapointed in my life! I was so bummed, the game was in my mind destroyed. All the depth in it is gone. All the hours --days even of hard work to master artisan and marksman to have a broad character is gone...

I think its kind of weired how they can change the entire game like that without some sort of big comunity vote... the game im playing today is not the game i bought, and seing as its an online game theres no possible way to relive the glory days of SWG or back-patch it or whatever..

My point is that devs of MMO games shouldnt be allowed to alter a product this much without the complete agreement of the majority of the customers...

what do you think?

I think its kind of weired how they can change the entire game like that without some sort of big comunity vote... the game im playing today is not the game i bought, and seing as its an online game theres no possible way to relive the glory days of SWG or back-patch it or whatever..

My point is that devs of MMO games shouldnt be allowed to alter a product this much without the complete agreement of the majority of the customers...

what do you think?

Well, it belongs to them. They can do what they want with it. Change it, shut it down.....leave it, neglect it. By subscribing and paying for the game you agree to all of the companies terms and conditions and they reserve the right to do anything they want up to and including banning players and blocking service with no "vote". All the subscribers do is pay for the use of the game, that doesn't give them any "right" or say in the game, it provides no ownership it just allows you to USE their service.

Could you imagine the nightmare if a game, any game, let the community "vote" of developement decissions? In a word: Chaos. No, Total Chaos.

It all came down to this: SWG was bleeding massive amounts of subs within the FIRST year and they made a design decission hoping to stop it. Given the fact that after almost 2 years since the change they haven't gone back or shut down we can safely assume that it was not as disasterous as folks on the forum make it out to be.

It stinks for the old players, they did get shafted because of the sneaky, callus way SOE handled the announcment. It was underhanded and dirty, but the reality is the game, as is, is here to stay. The new devs seem like they are genuinely working to improve the current game and thats as good as its gonna get.

This "EMU" isn't going to do anything but disappoint the same people again. If it turns out to good, SOE will squash it and if not...well who's gonna want to use it?

*Quality is usually pretty bad.

*Support is usually pretty bad

Private servers tend to make the owning company very angry as they are basically stealing from them. Argue if you like but many private servers have been shut down for all games from WoW, EQ, UO, Lineage 2 you name. It all depends...SOE is known to go after private servers

*On top of it, the server could just shut down at any time for any reason up to and including the guys running it getting bored with it or tired of working on it

They tend to have issues with requiring donations

I'm glad you mentioned these very valid points torak101. The SWGEmu team is boasting a vast 18,000+ forum members, including inactive accounts. Many of the folk posting among the forums seem blinded by many aspects of the development team, and the Emu's history.

Think back, pretty much to the beginning, i cant remember exactly who left, but the original developers walked away, rumours started circulating about the donation been taken aswell.

It wasnt all that long back that the SWGEmu team had a horrible reputation for been childish, immature and "ban happy". Shortly after, posted on thier blog, was a statement claiming they were starting over, turned over a new leaf so to speak (Dont quote me on that, but it was along those lines).

Many folk see the Emu team as gods, for bringing back a legend of a game, but as i say, they are to focused on the positives, and forgetting the negatives.

As torak101 quite rightly stated, private servers cost money to run, apparently these guys will be hosting for "free". What will they get out of it? A little satisfaction?

The guys moderating/running the servers, WILL eventually get bored, possibly resulting in abuse of position, imagine having FULL access to anything you want, spawn anything you want, and who's going to be doing this? An Ex SWG Vet.

The overall attitude of the Emu team seems some what slack aswell, for example, on certain questions, they seem to get extremely touchy, delete the post and ban/warn the member. SOE all over again?

I won't go on, and i'm certainly not flaming anyone, but people need to wake up and smell the coffee, there's a long way to go, regardless of what they say.

Regards,

Artois.

• 1 year later...

Yes there are acouple diff projects going For PRE-CU Emulation.

But My fave is:

http://Http://www.swgemu.com - Open Source

SWGEMU has great Support.

SWGEMU seems to be the strongest one so far. Time will tell.

But id suggest visiting them out figuring out your own opinions about it.

Although i am interested to see how the NGE turns out once SWTOR is complete, and released. i belive it will get shut down once SWTOR is done.

• 6 months later...

lol guys

swgemu failed big time

"its out in march" for 4 years.. nostradamus was more accurate

soe failed worse.. everybody knows that the genius guys left their team and left them with nothing but an exe file that they cant decompile. thats why they kept failing with the updates and patches and also failed with the major upgrades

the plaque they gave us called "i survived the cu" explains their awareness of the situation pretty much. its like saying "dear idiot player i wouldnt stay in this game if i wasnt working here"

my advice... stop gaming. the industry lost its taste. go find a pc with win 98 on it and play old games. there are enough to keep your fun for a lifetime

Archived