Home

Is there anyone who is OFFICIALLY going to pick up this mod?

jedispy

Hi there. Jedispy, admin of the SOTE mod for JA. Is there anyone who is OFFICIALLY going to pick up this mod project?

I ask because my team might be able to take things over. We've had tons of new additions to the team and we're getting lots of good stuff done on our mod already. As it is, we've got a few guys (mappers & modellers) that are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs. We have the resources to do this.

I have a web server that is totally available should it be needed.

Let me know your thoughts on this, and if anyone else wants to possibly jump on board should we take it over. I would treat these as two separate mod projects, and would expect the same level of professionalism as was sought out for DFMOD

My opinion is whoever takes on the DFmod I would like them to work on level seven and just level seven until its done then release it and start on level eight. That we the community will have the level to play and the mod could have the level out of the way and not have to worry about it anymore. Working on bits and pieces of each level makes us wait for it longer and the people working on the mod a smaller percentage of how much the mod is complete. Its been five years and we have only seen 3 levels. Just my 2 cents.

i know i'm not the only one who wants this mod to come out complete. with all the mods that are being done for JA, from mysteries of the sith, DF2 jedi knight, and shadows of the empire. maybe each group could come together and do 1 mod at a time. with the number of each people per mod all working on 1 mod at a time i would think things would go faster. I loved the DF mod! everthing about it was awesome and it would be a shame if it didn't come out completed. this is just a thought though

i know i'm not the only one who wants this mod to come out complete. with all the mods that are being done for JA, from mysteries of the sith, DF2 jedi knight, and shadows of the empire. maybe each group could come together and do 1 mod at a time. with the number of each people per mod all working on 1 mod at a time i would think things would go faster. I loved the DF mod! everthing about it was awesome and it would be a shame if it didn't come out completed. this is just a thought though

I second that

I third that. :)

well there is no doubt that arguemtns are inevitable. But it shouldn't really matter. with everyone doing 1 mod at a time. things would progress faster with more people. i think there are enough people who are behind the DF mod to keep it alive and going. Its just bring all the other modders together to get it done faster.

• 2 weeks later...

What I want to know is: how many members of the current team are willing to keep working on this project with the new team that picks it up? I don't believe that everyone on the team wants to quit. If there's a significant portion that wants to keep going, then this could be extremely good communication-wise, and they could even be the driving for for gathering together new people and even lead the project.

What I want to know is: how many members of the current team are willing to keep working on this project with the new team that picks it up? I don't believe that everyone on the team wants to quit. If there's a significant portion that wants to keep going, then this could be extremely good communication-wise, and they could even be the driving for for gathering together new people and even lead the project.

If there were a significant number of members who wanted to continue this mod then a) we wouldn't be quitting, and b) we would have more than 6 levels done in 5 years . . .

Right now there are a total of 6 people working including myself . . . when this mod got started 5 years ago I had 25 to 30 people working continously . . . as time wore on, real life resumed, and interest in Jedi Academy faded (or was supplanted by shinier, chromier games) we dropped down to our current level.

My best wishes go to those who continue on, but I'm pretty sure that there might be maybe 2 or 3 people from the current team willing to keep trudging along. Mod making on this scale is a long arduous task.

D_L

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of those two or three people who'll continue after the project is officially shelved. I've a point of this within the team, though I don't know if anyone else is capable. I will say this: level 7 is about half finished right now and I wouldn't be too worried about it. I actually spent a fair amount of time working on the level before I had to buckle down on dtention (which has hit some snags but that's a different issue) so it wouldn't take long to finish and put out once the official demo is to.

To Jedispy, I don't think anyone else is planning to pick up the mod full time and I don't have the resources to run it myself. If you want to pick up the project that'd be great. All I'd ask is that I get a spot mapping and get to reserve the Nar Shadda map because I have some really great plans for that I'd love to implement, if this is possible.

I definitely have an interest in it. I would love to see DFMOD get completely finished. It would be a nasty shame for something of that brilliance to not be completed entirely. DFMOD is the entire reason why I wanted to get into modding in the first place. In fact I wouldn't have even bought Jedi Academy had it not been for DFMOD. In a way you can even say that DFMOD helped to make the persona of Jedispy (my name is Michael in real life).

Anyway I am a little interested, even intrigued. I'm not making any promises yet. Shadows of the Empire mod does keep me busy (mapping and programming). Hypothetically speaking, if I were to assume the role as admin, I would try to run the mod in such a way that would honor the original admin (i.e. in the SOTE mod we've made a few changes to the story so as to incorporate things from the SW prequel movies. Don't worry, there's no Jar Jar, I promise on my grandfather's grave!! ). Such changes would not be done to the DFMOD. It was set out to recreate the original game with updated graphics/gameplay, and that's how I would run it. That is, hypothetically if I were to pick up the project where the former team left off.

However there is much to discuss, and I have to make sure my schedule would allow for such a move

I definitely have an interest in it. I would love to see DFMOD get completely finished. It would be a nasty shame for something of that brilliance to not be completed entirely. DFMOD is the entire reason why I wanted to get into modding in the first place. In fact I wouldn't have even bought Jedi Academy had it not been for DFMOD. In a way you can even say that DFMOD helped to make the persona of Jedispy (my name is Michael in real life).

Anyway I am a little interested, even intrigued. I'm not making any promises yet. Shadows of the Empire mod does keep me busy (mapping and programming). Hypothetically speaking, if I were to assume the role as admin, I would try to run the mod in such a way that would honor the original admin (i.e. in the SOTE mod we've made a few changes to the story so as to incorporate things from the SW prequel movies. Don't worry, there's no Jar Jar, I promise on my grandfather's grave!! ). Such changes would not be done to the DFMOD. It was set out to recreate the original game with updated graphics/gameplay, and that's how I would run it. That is, hypothetically if I were to pick up the project where the former team left off.

However there is much to discuss, and I have to make sure my schedule would allow for such a move

hi Jedispy

It's really very nice to read posts like this.

When I first started this mod 5 years ago, I never really thought about trying to inspire people or change peoples directions in life or anything like that. I just wanted to replay a very good but forgotten game on a more modern computer. I took what experience I had gained from Transfusion (qBlood originally) and just dove right in with a few other like-minded people.

It's really cool to learn that because of something I had a passion for, more have followed in my foot steps. Thank you for your work on SOTE and future work with DFMOD. I hope it is finished one day. Dark Forces is a great story and it deserves to be retold to those under the age of 30. I first played the game at age 25, and still play it at age 37 - it's just that good, and fun too.

I have commited five years of my life gratis for this story, and would continue to do so if it were realistic, but I have wife, 3 kids, a full time job, and all the other rigors of life, and simply must let go of a sci-fi story. I'm glad to hear that there are others who are willing to carry the torch.

Thanks again to all of you who have supported this project over the years. I'm done with another school year in a month (i'm a school teacher) so i'll have the summer to devote my energy to finishing this last portion I've committed to, and then I'll hand it off to someone like Jedispy.

May the Force be with you!

D_L

hi Jedispy

Dark Forces is a great story and it deserves to be retold to those under the age of 30. I first played the game at age 25, and still play it at age 37 - it's just that good, and fun too.

Off topic here, but still... I'm only 18 years old, and I remember playing the original Dark Forces, must've been about 7 years old, my older brother bought it, he was like 14 or so, it's still fresh in my mind and it was great. Loved that game and made sure I completed it all on hard difficulty. This game got me the most into a game ever, probably part of the 'cause of interest in Star Wars, and computer games (especially first-person shooters).

Maybe because I was young but I used to get scared of Dark Troopers (don't get scared by anything these days), especially on the ice level and the Dark Trooper Phase 1 running through the tunnel and you can here it getting closer and closer while you're running lost, then bam! there it is and I'm going "Ahhhh!", firing off all my ammo from good few of my guns, lol, most memorable part of the game. Too scared too re-aim, it wasn't as simple as today; first-person shooters with a keyboard only is not good. I must've played through that game good half dozen times.

I'm looking forward to the new demo and I'm disappointed that some of you have to move on but I completely understand. I've never played the original game and I've been dependent on this mod to tell me the Dark Forces story. I hope those that take over can maintain the level of quality that the team has set. All the best :thumbsup:

I haven't played the original Dark Forces since 1997. The graphics are just to out of date for me. That is why I was so excited about the DF mod. I still love JO and JA and would love to see the DF mod complete. I've been playing all the JK games for the past 10 years. I love Star Wars and first person shooters. I know its possible to complete these mods. I've been playing Escape: Yavin IV for JA from the link below. The person who made it just completed enough levels for a new game.

It's as long (if not longer) than the original SP campaign. You're basically downloading a whole new game. There are 25 playable levels. There are 35 levels in all. 10 cinematic and 25 playable. 35 levels, 150000 brushes, 25000 lines of script, 40000 entities and 3000 hours of blood and sweat was put into EY:4 - The Lost Maps.

http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Escape_Yavin_IV_The_Lost_Maps;58958x#856009

• 4 weeks later...

So has there been a turnover once Darth_Linux completes the second demo? i'm really hoping for this mod to be completly finished one day. i remember playing the demo and being blown away by how clean it was, and the feeling of being a kid playing the original for the first time.(i'm 25 now). Good luck to the next group who takes this mod on. i hope their passion is as great as the guys who first started this.

• 1 month later...

You guys should consider porting the mod to the base Quake III engine, seeing as how it's open source, it would make your lives a lot easier. You may run into copyright issues with LEC, however. It would be wise to contact them first.

• 2 months later...

I say release all the assets as is, and let people make them into a Multiplayer mod (for JA). That will generate enough interest to get a new team together to continue working.

Keeping it sitting on the computers of people who aren't going to work on it anymore doesn't do anyone any good and just makes it all seem like a big tease.

No offense intended of course. I know what it's like to start a project, work on it for a long time and then realize you have no intention of finishing it in the foreseeable future. The demos were fun, but those are good for a couple of runthroughs each. A multiplayer "demo" would be much more long-lasting and could continue to inspire modders to continue the project.

Archived