Home

Upheaval - The Brieder War I

Shana

S202A shook his head, getting himself oriented, he heard the lieutenant's orders, he struggled off his back, then clambered out of the ship, pulling his sidearm out, he checked the clip, it had a few bullets missing. He reached inside a small pouch pulling out stray bullets, he began sliding them into the clip until it was full.

He put the remaining stray bullets in the pouch, closing it off, then he loaded his sidearm with the clip, and put it in it's holster. He took his Y2 rifle off his back, removing the empty clip, he put a full clip in, raising the gun to his common, relaxed-but-ready position, he moved slightly away from the ship, looking around.

He rubbed his side, where he had been cut by a fellow soldiers bayonet in the crash. His wound bleeding well enoguh, but it was nothing he couldn't handle.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scouting through the woods, growls were heard by Faith and the soldiers.

- "Stay alert" - Faith said as she looked around the area they were walking through, there was no sign of Brieders. She had her gun ready and was about to lower it when a a bunch of trees came falling down. She evaded them and saw what had done this, three Tanks followed by several Brieder scouts.

- "Take cover and fire!" - Faith said as she ran for cover and shot some Brieders on her way.

Art, just waking up, started hearing explosions in the distance to their west. He looked around and noticed the others just getting up. On holding his head, another up already and checking an APU. Art stood up and walked over to his squad member. "How is it?"

"Couple switches broken, but can still shoot and walk."

"Good. Where are the other APU's?"

"No clue."

Loking around Art notices his squad member Johnson walking up. "Where's the other two at?"

"John we don't have a clue. We need to find the other 4 APU's and Charlie and Ace." The men grab their guns and start walking through the woods marking their trail back to the APU.

Faith threw a grenade and the splash damage killed several brieders, the rest began to fall back.

- "Alright push them back and continue on we have to get to the APU guys" - Faith said as she began to run towards the APU's location. On the sky several winged creatures were circlying above.

- "Screechers! Look out!" - Faith said as a liud screech was heard from one of these bird like creatures that were genetically engineered Brieders. These creatures had large bat like wings with large claws on their feet and large teeth.

"I hate those things." Tirin muttered as he ran form cover to cover folling Faith. A screecher came right down on Tirin, lucky for him screechers weren't that smart and always screeched before they struck their prey. Tirin dove, rolled and fired a few shots at the screecher. They all struck, but screechers were tough, he landed and took off again flying shakily. "Keep moving!" Tirin yelled to everyone.

One of the Screechers launched itself towards Faith. She had only noticed it moments before and had a sticky grenade on her hand. As the screecher came she jumped and dodged the screecher exactly after she stuck the nade onto it. After a loud screech from the creature it blew up.

- "Nasty business, we're almost there men!" - Faith yelled and soon after they arrived at the APU guys' location. Faith looked for their officer.

- "Who's in charge of this unit? We need you guys to move out with us right now" - Faith said.

S202A had made it through the fighting with his injury just fine. Brieders never really messed with injured Shades, they put up more of a fight, and there blood had antibrieder hormones in them, which makes it impossible for regular Brieders to smell, while it repelled most scent mutated Brieders.

But Screechers were a different story, tough, flying, fast, and stupid, they often didn't think about the Shade's rage when injured, and attacked whether they smelled the blood or not.

One came down on S202A, attempting to grap a hold of him, but he turned, firing point blank into the creature's chest; it flopped to the ground with a gory hole, dead almost instantly from the powerful rifle. Another swooped down and attempted a similar feat, only to have it's wing blown off; it fell to the ground, screaming bloody murder, and flailing around as it slowly died from shock and blood loss.

S202A slowed down as the group did, coming in close to the APU guys. He covered the flank as usual, watching both back and upwards, but no more enemies were within sight, or following.

Ok, totally revamping Liz. She's not even human anymore :p

Designation: GE3-7

Name: Elizabeth Ryan

Personality: A little harsh at times, sarcastic, and she rarely smiles. In battle, she's extremely aggressive, but she'll follow orders if they're given.

Biography: In the attempt to create better soldiers, many different paths were taken. Several years before the Shade program began, a small group of geneticists gathered to research the possibility of a genetically engineered soldier. Given the number of times they tried and failed, their efforts were dismissed by the government and eventually banned, considered unethical. But they still persisted.

Phases one and two of their experiments, labeled GE1 and GE2 were failures; all units died before fully maturing. GE3 was the final experiment and it was partially successful. Only ten units were grown; only GE3-7 was a full success.

In training, she was known as Seven. Graduation from training earned her the name, Elizabeth Ryan. To hide the fact that they had disobeyed the government's ban, the geneticists hired a professional hacker to add GE3-7 to the public databases as Elizabeth Ryan and created a full history for her before enlisting her in the military.

Now, at twenty-seven years of age, Seven is known only as Liz Ryan, special ops sharpshooter. She knows that her 'parents' disobeyed the law in creating her and realizes that, if the government were to discover what she is, they would rather destroy her than admit the geneticists were right. For this reason, she wisely keeps her mouth shut about her true past, sharing only bits and pieces from the past her 'parents' created for her.

Strengths: Drastically increased lung capacity; better blood circulation; photographic memory; the ability to 'lock' her bones to create a fully motionless body for better weapon aim; enhanced hearing, sight, smell, and speed

Weaknesses: A slight glitch in her brain chemistry requires Liz to keep a bottle of tryptophan pills on hand. If she does not take them at a regular interval, she could begin to have violent siezures, eventually ending in death. (Total steal from Dark Angel, I know... guess I ran out of creativity :p )

Art, Johnson, and Tommy walked through the woods checking the radio for Ace and Charlie frequently.

As they walked they noticed smoke arising from the trees to the side of them. The three squadmates rushed over to the knocked over trees and single APU. "2 located. 3 to go." Art murmured. "Hey Johnson any luck yet?"

"Yes, Ace answered but he isn't near Charlie and has no idea where he is."

"His own location or Charlies?"

"His own or Charlies."

"Great. Either Charlie is dead or hasn't found his APU yet. Hopefully its the APU." He rummaged through the APU. "Guys, this is Charlie's APU."

"What....Just Great." Johnson spoke to Ace, "Ace, Charlie's APU was found but he isn't around........What?..Yeah.......I'll get on it. Guys, Ace said that the APUs landed almost in a straight line. So lets go straight down a line from yours, Art, and this one."

"Come on let's go." Art yelled as he started ahead of them guys. The guys started down through the forest.

From an entirely different direction, the sound of a high-powered sniper rifle cracked through the air. Two shots rang out, followed by three shots from what sounded like a small, semi-auto rifle. Then, there was a moment of silence. In less than a second, Elizabeth Ryan emerged, followed by a fearful messenger. Liz was seriously spotted with blood, though it was obvious that none of it was hers. The messenger held out a shaky hand to Faith, a single-page document in hand.

"Lt. Cortez," the note read. "Special Ops Sharpshooter, Elizabeth Ryan will be joining your troops. Be warned; she can be highly aggressive, so you may have to order her to follow if a retreat is necessary. Best of luck to you and yours. General Warren Mack"

When she saw that Faith was finished reading, Liz stepped forward, offering her hand. "Lt. Faith Cortez, I am Spec. Ops Shooter Liz Ryan." Shaking Liz's offered hand felt almost like having your own hand trapped in an iron clamp, but the handshake was brief, thus preventing any damage to Faith's hand.

"Forgive the messenger's fright," Liz said coolly. "He's not used to coming this far out with only one person to defend him."

"Yay, more hot shots." Tirin muttered. He looked aroudn at thier position, it wasn't suitable for a defense at all. "Sir, can we get moving? the area is great for an ambush, and since screechers are usually scouts, we may be in for a one sided fight." Tirin suggested to Cortez.

- "Spec Ops huh?" - Faith said and shook her head slightly, chuckling at Tirin's comment about the hotshots - "Another experimental unit coming to show the ordinary soldiers that we can be replaced huh?".

- "I have been fighting this things since I was young, they send freaks to fight out here because they doubt me and my men can get through this without you?" - Faith said and scoffed - "Give me a break".

Faith then turned to Tirin.

- "Alright Tirin, get them moving towards the river, follow the APU tracks to find the others. We need to get out of here before hell breaks loose" - Faith said.

((Uh... the great majority of people don't know about the genetic experiments and not even the government knows that there was any success from the project. Special Ops is just another division of the military, one that's trained more intensely and more focused. It could lead to the mindset (and has in the military leaders) that the spec. ops soldiers are better than others, which causes the bitterness toward them. It's not because she's a genetic experiment. Y'all don't know that. :) ))

Liz offered Faith a sarcastic smirk. "Well, you don't like it, you can always complain to your superiors, who'll complain to my superiors. Then, by the time they're all done with their complaining and negotiations, we'll be done out here and both sets of superior officers will reluctantly admit that the other group may have been right."

She shrugged. "Blah, blah, woof, woof, whine, whine." Rolling her eyes, she went on, "But as for now, Lt. Cortez, we are in a rather poor location for chit-chat. I suggest we get moving."

At that moment, a screecher dive-bombed the messenger, lifting him away kicking and screaming. Without batting an eyelash, Liz whirled, drawing a bulky handgun and firing three times. The screecher wailed and went down.

"Guess he won't be making the trip back to HQ," Liz observed as she approached to see about the messenger. He was dead. She reloaded, then holstered the handgun, tugging the sniper rifle the group had heard before from her back, and turned back to Faith.

"But as I was saying, we ought to move," she said. With an added twinge of sarcastic annoyance, she added, "Of course, you're the boss... your choice."

"Yes m'am" Tirin said to Cortez. "Alright boys, lets move out!" Tirin ordered and took point. They reached the river bank and headed along it. Tirin took out a map of the place and found themselves. "The rest of the Apus should be clustered up ahead, if we're lcky they haven't moved too far." Tirin said to anyone who wanted to listen. As he had said this a Brieder rocketed from the river and clawed one of the soldiers' face off, then was repeatedly shot.

"Aqua Brieders!" Tirin shouted at once half the soldiers faced the rive and half faced their flanks. Aquas were usually distractions and scouts, they drew the attention to the river while the others could ambush them.

(Just to let you know, nobody in the squad are on the APUs, they're looking for the other men and APUs to regroup.)

Art walked past some spider webs when a single brown screecher screamed above them. The three looked up, watching as it just circled around them. "What is it?"

"Not sure, but it was loud. Ask Ace if he heard it."

"On it." Johnson started grabbing the radio he tore of of charlies APU. "Hey Ace you there still?...Good, Did you hear a loud screech?.......k. Hey Art he said he heard south of him. We're not far from him."

"Well we're going north already so lets go a little faster."

After a few minutes, Art, Johnson, Ace, and James were standing around Ace's APU. "While you guys were looking for me I gathered all the pieces and repaired all that I could to it." The APU stood fully functional, as if it didn't crash.

"Good Job. We need to find Charlie as if we were going to die without him, dead or alive. Preferrably he's alive."

(Charlies stuck in a tree from his parachute. If you guys find him help him, otherwise I'll find him. Make it interesting whoever finds him.)

(Ok but I think I did state that her father was one of the highest members in the army, although she despises most of what her father is and qhat he has done)

Faith smirked at the young Spec Ops sniper but continued to issue her orders. Just above where Tirin stood was a man, he was hanging from a tree by his parachute and was unconcious.

- "Help that soldier down men!" - Faith said as some of the soldiers moved to help the hanging APU operator and the rest covered Tirin from the Aqua Brieders.

- "Tirin is right, be on the look out, the aqua brieders are the least of our concern something big approaches so get that man quickly and move to higher ground, the APU guys must not be far" - Faith said as she took down two Aqua Brieders heading for Tirin.

Two of the soldiers carried Charlie, the soldier that was hanging and woke him up.

- "Ma'am here is the radio frequency of our squad leader Art" - Charlie said.

- "Thank you" - Faith said as she continued to move with the radio in her hand - "Art, we have Charlie what is your position? Over".

S202A had overheard what Lt. Cortez say: "I have been fighting these things since I was young, they send freaks to fight out here because they doubt me and my men can get through this without you?" - "Give me a break."

The Gun Sarge was a little disturbed by this, did the leiutenant only see him as a freak, an abomination of humanity, like the Brieders...he guessed she would feel that way, most did about genetically engineered beings, seeing as Brieders were the dark side of genetic engineering, it was only natural for people to be prejudiced against him and the Shades, along with other geneticly altered beings.

But was his offering accepted by the leiutenant? Or did she only take his symbol of respect just to humor him? Did she see him as a freak too? Even though he'd served under her quietly, but diligently, and loyaly, obeying all orders, but allowing the 'common soldiers' to do their jobs. Or had she meant some other type of genetically engineered freak?

S202A's mind flooded with these questions, unable to truely answer them, he was, in fact, incapable of understanding these strange feelings he got in his body, some in his gut, some in his head causing him to breath heavier. What was this? He wished he knew, but he didn't....he had never been taught how to be a human.

The Gun Sarge had been so distracted with these unknown, 'feelings', that he wasn't paying attention, and he stumbled into an open pitfall while he had been following the leiutenant.

He, taking flank as he usually did, was not noticed when he fell, nor was he missed, this was the bad thing about taking flank. Similar things had happened to him before, but not in Faith's squad.

He looked up after awhile, his head swimming with pain, he looked up the sides of the pitfall, they were high, but not too high. He thought about calling out, or getting on the radio, but his backpack transmiter was for specific emergency perposes, and calling out could attract Brieders more than the squad.

He sat up, looking himself over, he found himself dirty, his clothes and armor scuffed and torn, while his wound from earlier was caked with dirt and mud.

He took his goggles off slowly, his odd eyes taking in the light with extreme dialation, but oddly enough he didn't cover his eyes from the sudden sunlight. He rubbbed his eyes with the palms of his hands, speaking to himself in a low tone, "what's going on with me? Ugh, no time for that..." He trailed off, continuing with his thoughts instead of words, '...I'll question my mentality later, for now, I need to get out of here and find Faith...' He paused in thought, he hardly ever called her by her first name, even in his mind.

He shook his head, replacing his goggles, he got up, finding his rifle nearby, he grabbed it, turning quickly on his heel, only to topple to the ground wih a strange feeling of pain coursing through his body. He had twisted his ankle in the fall, and though the pain was there, just like in any other liveing person, it was trivial to him, it had to be, he had been forced, and trained to view pain as trivial, so he could go on, on the battlefield, even if his entire lower half were blown off.

S202A knew of this all too much, he had seen Shades with one arm and no legs crawling across the battlefield with nothing but a combat knife, only to die of bloodloss, or shock, which couldn't be stoped even by viewing pain as trivial. But he also knew that only a Shade could sympathise a Shade, he hadn't heard of any common soldier feeling sorry for a Sahde...maybe it was better that he had fallen in the pitfall, the leiutenant could carry on without any hinderances from the...freak.

S202A shook his head, looking around, he got up, ignoring the screams of protest coming from his foot. He tossed his gun over the top edge of the pit, then going to the other side, he went at a run, with a slight hobble in his gait, he jumped, pushing off one wall near the corner, turning enough to push off from the other wall in the same corner, and then twist around in time to grab the pit edge.

He hauled himself up, taking his gun as he got up and looked around, no one was in sight, and more time had passed than he realised, by now the group would have found the APU units, and be heading out to their next location.

This didn't bother S202A, he found this a good time to contemplate his career, before he would either, A: Die by Brieders; or, B: Be found after the mission and taken back to the 'Prism' to be retired. There were other options, but he didn't want to think about them.

He began hobbling off, following the squad's tracks, though he would contemplate, his objectives were still set, so he needed to follow them as best he could.

After awhile of trecking, he came to a point where the tracks turned, butin another direction, he heard the sound of water. He went that way, only to find a small spring, he decided to stop and rest, it was a good idea to travel long with a twisted ankle, without treating it. He took his armored boot off, find his foot crooked, swollen, and blue. Grabbing his foot, he twisted the foot wit the sound of craking and rending; after it was back in place he slipped his foot into the cool, mineral rich water.

He layed back and looked at the canopy of trees, and the sky peaking through from above, he hadn't really done this before, and it reminded him of those few shows he was allowed to watch back when he was training, where you would see two sweethearts sitting under a trees, watching the sunset, or looking at the clouds; he wondered what that was like, he wondered what having feelings for someone was like, heck! He wondered what feelings were like.

Before long the Gun Sarge had slipped into sleep, dozing under the sky, ignorant of any activity that could be going on around him.

((Yeah, just so you know, it will be some time before anyone notices he's gone, and not many people besides Faith will really realise he's gone, considering he's always so unnoticed in the first place by the regular soldiers. Oh, and I hope you don't mind all this.))

Tirin was just reloading as a Aqua Brieder rocketted out of the water towards. No time to shoot, Tirin jumped at the mid air brieder, grabbed it by the neck, ignoring the claws that sunk into+ his arms, and threw him to the ground. He then repeatedly pounded the aqua's face. The Aquas were much more fragile, so they could move faster in the water. Tirin stood up over his kill.

"We need to go now, somethings coming and I got a bad feeling about it."

- "You're right. Alright let's move out men!" - Faith called out. They had only climbed over the entire cliff to head to the APU guys just north of their position. One by one they got over the cliff and Faith did a headcount. It was then that she looked at her belt noticing the large knife she had been given by the Shade.

"Oh my god", she thought to herself, he was left behind. How could she not notice this? In all her years as a squad leader she had never left a man behind. And also now that she was thinking about it, when she called Liz a freak, the Shade soldier was standing near. The Shade never showed emotion nor did he hesitate at any time since he was assigned to her unit, but she started to worry about him. So she began climbing down but looked at Tirin as she did so.

- "You're in charge 'til I get back Tirin, I never leave a soldier behind, I'm going for the Shade, keep going north and contact me on the radio once you find the APU guys, I'll catch up in no time" - Faith said and then continued to go down. It was a good backtracking but still she could not believe the Shade had stayed behind, he never did and also she knew he could not have died by the hands of weaklings as Aqua Brieders so he had to be somewhere and alive. She kept going for about ten minutes and she was running, she found the man crawling out of a pitfall and offered to help him up.

- "You really scared me soldier I thought I lost you" - Faith said she was thinking of apologising for the things she said so she looked at him - "I'm sorry for the things I said earlier, I did not mean it, I just tend to think any help provided by my father's minions is a slap in the face. I do value your help and your life as a man soldier".

((Joint post: Grace and Miracle))

The loud crack, of Liz's sniper rifle echoed behind Faith and a Brieder who'd been trying to sneak up on Faith and the Shade shrieked and collapsed.

"I thought you were bad enough as a two year old," she told the other woman, her eyes narrowed in frustration. "But calling me a minion is hardly necessary. Thought you'd maybe have grown up at least a little since the old days... guess maybe I was wrong."

Faith looked back at where Liz was coming from. She was irritated to see her standing there again.

- "I commanded everyone to look for the APU guys, Tirin was in charge I didn't order you to follow me, is there something wrong with your programing freak? Are you not able to follow orders anymore? Should I call tech support?" - Faith said very irritated at the sight of the Spec Ops woman who she knew from her past and reacted earlier when she saw her come from the woods.

To Faith's surprise, Liz's response was laughter. "Oh, I should have known better than to try to talk to a little girl who's decisions are still based on what her daddy would hate," she said scornfully. "And you know full well there's no tech support, no programming; it's all genetic. You could call your daddy, but you hate to talk to him, so that'd be worse than having me save your life just now."

Faith was really irritated by now, just the sight of Liz made her go berserk and she did not need this.

You better watch your back freak, out here my father is nowhere to come to rescue you," Faith said narrowing her eyes.

"As if I'd need that spineless weasel as a defense against his outraged baby girl," Liz shot back. "Or have you forgotten the training sessions you watched me in?"

Faith walked up to meet Liz in eye level. "All I cared about was the man who watched you," Faith said and turned around to face the Shade petching his wound with a medkit she had on her.

"Your training sessions meant nothing to me, if you suffered for it then I'm glad," Faith said.

"Watching me instead of you," Liz sighed. "Look, I can understand why you'd be pissed at your dad, 'cus he wasn't much of a dad to you..." She gestured to herself, "and he's been involved in some pretty crazy secret experiments and whatnot that may or may not be morally right. But if you can't look past your father and see that I'm a worthwhile addition to your troops, then this is gonna be a long day for both of us."

Faith shot a glare in her direction, then she realized that this discussion had caused a waste of time and her troops were already advancing even more.

"We will see about that Liz," Faith said and took her weapon from the tree she had placed it over. "We have a mission to complete, follow orders and stay out of my way. I don't like you and you don't like me, but as long as you comply with this I will tolerate you".

Faith then motioned the Shade to follow her. Liz rolled her eyes, snapped to attention and saluted. "Aye, Lieutenant!" she said in monotone. Then, she headed off at an easy jog ahead of Liz and the Shade to regroup with the others.

Archived