Home

A Little Random, Buuut...

I was watching the Clerks II today and noticed something a little odd about a song in there.

One of the songs (I know the song, I've heard it before, I just can't remember the name.) is in the movie, but I couldn't find it on the soundtrack.

The song starts around 1:06:30 into the movie, after Kelly and Randal discuss the party.

Maybe it is on the soundtrack, but I listened to all the samples on iTunes and didn't think any of them even sounded close to this song.

EDIT

Ah. I figured it out. It's 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins. Why wasnt it on the soundtrack?

I had a similar experience. I love the music from The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and since I play the piano, I got the Return of the King piano music for Christmas. Imagine my surprise when, in the back, there is a song called "Use Well the Days", which is neither in the movie, nor on the CD soundtrack.

I have no idea why they do things like this, though. It's really strange.

EDIT

Ah. I figured it out. It's 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins. Why wasnt it on the soundtrack?

They probably couldn't secure licensing (too expensive, etc).

I have no idea why they do things like this, though. It's really strange.
Sometime composers write music that is really good but doesn't make it into the movie for whatever reason. Each of the extended editions contains a documentaries on the music and there is more than one mention of changes to the score. I imagine they include it in the sheet music as a sort of bonus or to ensure that people have access to the work they are still proud of. *shrugs*

Also, soundtracks and other promotional material are not worked on by the movie's editor or director. Its entirely possible that music cut from the final edit of a movie makes it onto the soundtrack (or sheet music book) since they are worked on by different people before the final cut of the movie is done.

In the case of a major movie that the studio knows will sell a lot of merchandise, they will have a lot of the stuff made while the movie is still in post-production. For instance, I saw Spiderman 3 toys at Walmart the other day and the movie isn't even out yet. Same thing happens with soundtracks and whatnot. The sheet music could have been printed before the movie was released.

Achilles may be right, but the song could have been added to the movie after the soundtrack was made. Since Spiderman 3 is coming out soon, watch how quickly the soundtrack is released after the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if the soundtrack was already printed and just waiting for shipment while they are probably still deciding on the final cut of the movie.

Its not as uncommon as people think for soundtracks to have extra/missing tracks. Most people just don't notice, I suppose.

Anyone have the song Requiem for Two Towers? Its supposed to be on the 2 Towers soundtrack. Its *really* pretty... ^.^

Unfortunately it's not on any of the LotR soundtracks, it originally comes from a different movie entirely with a score by Hans Zimmer (I think). Very sad, desperate sound, so the LotR crew souped it up, gave it a more 'epic' feel, and placed it in a few of the TV spots for the Two Towers.

No idea how to get it though, the tracks on the movie soundtrack are all violin solos, at least judging by the 30 second previews on iTunes.

Unfortunately it's not on any of the LotR soundtracks, it originally comes from a different movie entirely with a score by Hans Zimmer (I think). Very sad, desperate sound, so the LotR crew souped it up, gave it a more 'epic' feel, and placed it in a few of the TV spots for the Two Towers.
It's by Clint Mansell.

No idea how to get it though, the tracks on the movie soundtrack are all violin solos, at least judging by the 30 second previews on iTunes.
I bought it off of eBay a while back. The sound is great. It's a bit repetitive, though I personally love it. The closest thing on it to the TTT trailer track is "Lux Aeterna."

Archived