Home

The Dig...over hyped by fans?

urluckyday

Hey guys. Well, I'm officially confused. I hear a lot of great things about this game from a lot of people (some of which on here), only to find out that most "professional" reviewers gave this game sub-par scores. Was this game just over hyped by fans, or were most of the reviewers just plain bias in their scores. I mean, with reputable sites like Gamespot.com giving below 50%...there has to be something wrong on one end.

• 3 weeks later...

You should ask yourself why you rely so much on reviews. And Gamespot reviews are respectable to you? Amazing!

I think its a good game, but obviously if you are only into the incoherent fun, and have no interest in science fiction then it's not for you. I recently found an interesting way to describe The Dig. It's like LOST, but in an alien world (still in an island) and instead of 40 people, there is just 3 which helps a lot to boost the sense of insecurity.

And on the other hand...it's a bit absurd to say a game (or a movie, or a band) is over hyped by fans....becasuse...that's what fans are all about!!

So as I always say, the most logical thing to do, is simply play it and draw you own conclusions. Remember, not even Monkey Island had that excellent reviews on "professional" gaming press.

Throwing elegance out the window, let me say this... game reviewers (specially the ones who get paid and work for "professional" media) are a bunch of losers. And I know... there are a few of them who are respectable and understand the game design process. But most of them are just ...gamers, and even in the best cases, they are gamers who studied journalism.

In this case, I trust more on the word of an innocent kid who played the game and got fascinated by it, than the word of a fat bastard grown up who hates himself.

• 1 year later...

The Dig, I will concede, is NOT your typical video game. To be sure, if you had bought the game (while it was still on the shelves) with the expectation that you'd be blasting away aliens with a vast array of weaponry, flying spaceships and battling through the galaxy, then you would be sorely dissappointed.

What The Dig did for me personally, was that for the first time it showed me how artistically the video-game medium can be used to evoke emotion, weave a fantastic story and immerse the player in a gaming experience that, until I played this game, was totally alien to me (and I had played many adventure games before this one).

The Dig masterfully evokes feelings of mystery, isolation, but also curious intrigue like no game before it, and even when you're stuck, the game beckons you to keep trying so that you can find out what happens next. It sets the scene, pace and atmosphere so masterfully using graphics, music/sound and the actions of the characters, it feels like a brilliantly directed movie.

It's the sort of game that I've played over and over and over to try and recapture the feeling the first time I played it, and wish I had an MiB style neuralizer so I could erase my memory of the game so that I could play it for the first time again.

If you can't, or choose not to appreciate the subtle, the game is not for you. But if you give it a chance, it's strengths lie in it's ability to draw upon the most basic of human emotions and subconsciously evokes some of those most basic questions of the human condition that drive us to explore, to inquire and to discover. I feel that, even now with modern graphics technology, that a newcomer has something to gain from The Dig

Archived