Home

Quotes you like from various places

"The death of one man is tragedy. The death of a million men is a statistic." - Stalin

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.

Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

“Mr. Attlee is a very modest man. Indeed he has a lot to be modest about.” - Churchill

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.

Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

“Mr. Attlee is a very modest man. Indeed he has a lot to be modest about.” - Churchill

Lol are those real? Seems like Churchill was a funny guy!

I will post my quotes later. :)

Here's a bunch of my favorite quotes. I've forgotten where most are from, so sorry about the lack of referencing:

"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." --Sinclair Lewis.

"Hey look, it's the two symbols of the Republican party: an elephant and a fat white guy who's threatened by change." ~Family Guy

"Objects in mirror appear to be losing"

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you." (in my sig, from a bmw forum)

And a very appropriate quote for the current era of rabid paranoia: "He who is willing to give up freedom for safety deserves neither freedom nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Lol are those real? Seems like Churchill was a funny guy!

I will post my quotes later. :)

They are. I remember another one, where he did or said something, which I don't recall, but which caused a woman to insult him, and so prompted this result...

Churchill: "You're ugly, madam"

Woman: "Mr. Churchill - you're drunk!"

Churchill: "Madam, the difference between you and me is that tomorrow I will be sober... but you will still be ugly!"

:D

Another favorite quote:

"All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil"

- Percy Bysshe Shelley

"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." - Jean-Luc Picard

I've got a few more that I like, but for some odd reason, this is the only one I can remember right now.

Ah, but don't forget the badguy quotes from that movie:

"Normal is what everyone is and you are not!"

(that's how a REAL villain speaks and argues...)

and

"Time is the fire in which we burn!"

As for Picard:

"They invade our space, and we fall back.

They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back.

Not again!

The line must be drawn here! THIS far and NO further!"

(hilarious when quoted by Quark on DS9 - he's the last person I'd EVER expect to quote Picard...)

Or a quotes that speak more to Picard's true nature:

"How many people does it take, before it becomes wrong, huh? A thousand? Fifty thousand? A million? How many people does it take, Admiral!!"

"But she or someone like her will always be with us... waiting for the right climate in which to flourish... spreading fear... in the name of righteousness. Vigilance, Mr. Worf. That is the price we have to continually pay."

Or this this little speech (also from "The Drumhead")

Worf [about Tarsis]: "He refused answer the question about his romulan grandfather..."

Picard: "That is not a crime, Worf! Nor can we infer his guilt because he did not respond!"

Worf: "Sir... If a man were not afraid of the truth, he would answer!"

Picard: "Oh no... We cannot allow ourselves to think that. The seventh guarantee is one of the most important rights granted by the Federation. We cannot take a fundamental principle of the constituion and turn it against a citizen!"

Worf: "Sir, the Federation DOES have enemies! We MUST seek them out!"

Picard: "Oh yes... that's how it starts. But the road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think! Something is wrong here, Mr. Worf! I don't like what we have become!!"

They are. I remember another one, where he did or said something, which I don't recall, but which caused a woman to insult him, and so prompted this result...

{snip}

:D

That was the same woman he insulted in my earlier quote, actually. :D

One other time Winston got a letter from a playwright who disliked him, inviting him to the first opening of his play. At the end he added "Bring a friend - if you have one." Churchill wrote back saying he was busy that night, but that he would be sure to come to the second opening - if there was one.

And more Winston quotes:

"'No comment' is a splendid expression. I am using it again and again."

"Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen."

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

"Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement; then it becomes a mistress, and then it becomes a master, and then a tyrant..."

Just a few of my personal favorites:

"You took a gun and stabbed me in the back, right in front of my eyes." - Someone random on MySpace.

"If you run in front of a car, you get tired. If you run behind a car, you get exhausted." - Somewhere here, a looong time ago, on LF.

"I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally." - W.C. Fields

"I can resist everything... except temptation." Oscar Wilde

And IMO, very appropriate for LF...

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - Somerset Maugham

Have a nice day. ;)

these are some quotes on the subject of Friendship

"Misfortune shows those who are not really friends."

Aristotle

"The shifts of Fortune test the reliability of friends."

Cicero

"Have no friends not equal to yourself."

Confucius

"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends."

Czech Proverb

"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation."

George Washington

"When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends."

Japanese Proverb

"Go through your phone book, call people and ask them to drive you to the airport. The ones who will drive you are your true friends. The rest aren't bad people; they're just acquaintances."

Jay Leno

"In prosperity our friends know us; in adversity we know our friends."

John Churton Collins

"It's a lot like nature. You only have as many animals as the ecosystem can support and you only have as many friends as you can tolerate the bitching of."

Randy K. Milholland

"Sometimes the measure of friendship isn't your ability to not harm but your capacity to forgive the things done to you and ask forgiveness for your own mistakes."

Randy K. Milholland

"The only thing that lasts longer than a friend's love is the stupidity that keeps us from knowing any better."

Randy K. Milholland

"We secure our friends not by accepting favors but by doing them."

Thucydides

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

"It takes a heap of sense to write good nonsense." - Mark Twain

"My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch." - Jack Nicholson

"Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness." - George Orwell

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." - George

Orwell, Animal Farm

"The true leader is always led." - Carl Jung

"There'll be no living with her after this." Jack Sparrow, PotC: CotBP

"If we don't have the key, then we can't open whatever it is we don't have that it unlocks. So what purpose would be served in finding whatever need be unlocked, which we don't have, without first having found the key what unlocks it?" - Jack Sparrow, PotC: DMC

"No... you want you to find this. Because the finding of this finds you incapacitorially finding and/or locating in your discovering the detecting of a way to save your dolly belle ol'... what's her face. Savvy? - Jack Sparrow, PotC: DMC

"I have a bad feeling about this." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, and Han Solo (I think that's all of them ;))

And then of course, I have a bunch of Star Trek quotes that I love, some of which Jediphile gave. Be prepared for quite a few quotes. ;)

"Who's been holding up the damn elevator?" McCoy, Star Trek II

"Where are we going?" - McCoy

"Where they went." - Kirk

"What if they went nowhere?" - McCoy

"Then this will be your big chance to get away from it all." - Kirk, Star Trek II

"You're suffering from a Vulcan mind meld, Doctor." - Kirk

"That green-blooded son of a bitch. It's his revenge for all those arguments he lost." - McCoy, Star Trek III

"Spock, where the hell's the power you promised?" - Kirk

"One damn minute, admiral" - Spock, Star Trek IV

"Nobody understands you in this century unless you swear every other word. You'll find it in all the literature of the era: Jackelyn Susann, the novels of Harrold Robbins." - Kirk

"Ah, the giants." - Spock, Star Trek IV

"We need breathing room!" - General Chang

"Earth. Hitler. 1938" - Kirk, Star Trek IV

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" - Picard, The Inner Light

"Eat any good books lately?" - Q to Worf. Deja Q

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." - Picard, Conundrum (lots of good Picard quotes in this one)

"Nice Legs... for a human" - Worf, Qpid

"Jean-Luc! It's so good to see you again. How about a big hug?" - Q, Qpid

"I am NOT a merry man!!!" - Worf, Qpid

"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." - Data

"I will feed him" - Worf, Phantasms

"You're dead, this is the afterlife - and I'm God" - Q, Tapestry

"What do you want me to do?" - Q

"Die." - Worf, Deja Q

"Five card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit" - Picard, All Good Things (the last words of the series)

"Oh, s***!" - Data, ST: Generations

"Life forms.... You tiny little life forms..... You precious little life forms.... Where are you?" - Data, ST: Generations

"I hate this! It is revolting!" - Data

"More?" - Guinan

"Please." - Data, ST: Generations

"You want to run away and blow up the ship, you COWARD!" - Picard to Worf

"Jean-Luc...!" - Dr. Crusher

"If you were any other man, I would kill you where you stand!" - Worf

"Get off my bridge." - Picard, ST: First Contact

"Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind." - Data, ST: First Contact

"I swore I`d never use one of these... Computer, activate the EMH program!" - Dr. Crusher

"Please state the nature of the medical emergency." - EMH doctor

"Twenty Borg are about to break through that door. We need diversion!" - Dr. Crusher

"This isn't part of my programming. I'm a doctor, not a doorstop." - EMH doctor

"Well do a dance, tell a story, just give us a few seconds!" - Dr. Crusher

*The Borg break in as Dr. Crusher leaves*

"According to Starfleet medical records, Borg implants can cause severe skin irritations. Perhaps you would like an analgesic cream?" - EMH doctor, ST: First Contact

"In the event of a water landing, I have been designed to act as a floatation device." - Data, ST: Insurrection

"The Son'a wish to negotiate a cease-fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we only have three minutes of air left." - Worf, ST: Insurrection

"Move, puny human animal." - Data as B4

"A bit less florid Data." - Picard, ST: Nemesis

"You all know him. He's a tyrannical martinet will never, ever allow me to go on away missions."

"That is the regulation, sir. Starfleet Code section 12, paragraph 4--" - Data

"Data?" - Picard

"Sir?" - Data

"Shut up." - Picard

"Yes, sir." - Data

"For 15 years I've been waiting to say that." - Picard, ST: Nemesis

"The B-4 is physically identical to me, although his neural pathways are not as advanced. But even if they were, he would not be me." - Data

"How can you be sure?" - Picard

"I aspire, sir. To be more than I am. The B-4 does not. Nor does Shinzon." - Data, [/i]ST: Nemesis[/i]

"Why am I here?" - Picard

"I was lonely." - Shinzon, ST: Nemesis

"If you ever TOUCH me again... I'll kill you." - Shinzon, ST: Nemesis

"Why do you have a shiny head?" - B4 to Picard, ST: Nemesis

"Why does the tall man have a furry face?" - B4, ST: Nemesis

"Goodbye..." - Data, ST: Nemesis

*singing brokenly to himself* "Never saw the sun... never saw the sun... never saw... the sun..." - B4

*helping along* "Shining so bright." - Picard

*singing brokenly to himself* "Shining so bright... never saw things..." *hums the rest of the line* - B4

*helping along* "Going so right..." - Picard

*singing to himself* "Going so right..." - B4

*Picard leaves his office, with a wistful yet hopeful smile on his face*

I am an historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history. - HG Wells

A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or He would be the devil of hell. - CS Lewis

If Jesus Christ were to come today, people would not even crucify him. They would ask him to dinner, and hear what he had to say, and make fun of it. - Thomas Carlyle

I know men and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man. Between him and every other person in the world there is no possible term of comparison. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I, founded empires. But on what did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love; and at this hour millions of people would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte

Words are the tools with which we think. - Carl Jung

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. - Freud

Nietzche was twisted and abnormal - Tolstoy

that's from History of the World isn't it. (can't remember which one.)

And there's only one History of the World. They never made Part Two. ;)

And in the spirit of the movie:

"Don't get saucy with me, Bernaise." - Count de Monet

"Virgins, put on your "no entry" signs! We are about to confront... guys!" - Empress Nympho

"Gloria Mundi is sick of the transit!" - Graffiti

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day

To the last syllable of recorded time;

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing. " - Macbeth, Macbeth

"There's no art

To find the mind's construction in the face:

He was a gentleman on whom I built

An absolute trust. " - Duncan, Macbeth

"Stars, hide your fires!

Let not light see my black and deep desires. " - Macbeth, Macbeth

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever. For what is the time of a man, except it be interwoven with that memory of ancient things of a superior age?" - Cicero

"A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation." - Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."

"Do not be arrogant because of your knowledge, but confer with the ignorant man as with the learned. For knoweledge has no limits, and none has yet achieved perfection in it. Good speech is more hidden than malachite, yet it is found in the possession of women servants at the millstones." - Ptahhotep

"Truth is great and its effectiveness endures." - Ptahhotep

"Beware an act of avarice; it is bad and incurable disease." - Ptahhotep

"One who is serious all day will never have a good time, while one who is frivolous all day will never establish a household." - Ptahhotep

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

-St. Paul of Tarsus, 1 Corinthians 13

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,

for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,

for they will be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,

for they will inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,

for they will be filled.

Blessed are the merciful,

for they will be shown mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,

for they will see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,

for they will be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,

for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." - Jesus of Nazareth, Matthew, 5.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.

-- W.C. Fields

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

-- Douglas Adams

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that!

-- Milton Jones

How about some Battlestar Galactica quotes - because if you think this series doesn't have great dialogue, then think again...

--

Starbuck: "You sure they'll fly?"

Tyrol: "Well, the reactor's still hot, so all we have to do is pull the rack off from the engines, refuel it, load the ordenance, and you're ready to go. The biggest problem is going to be getting them over to the port launchbay."

Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launchbay?"

Tyrol: "It's a giftshop now..."

--

Roslin: "The lesson here is not to ask follow-up questions, but simply to say 'thank you, Captain Apollo, for saving our collective asses!'"

--

Adama (standing on the bridge thinking of what Roslin just told him): "We better start having babies..."

[Long silence of disbelief on the bridge]

Tigh: "Is that an order?"

--

Roslin (referring to Ellen Tigh): "You actually think that woman is a cylon?"

Apollo: "Well, if she's not, then we're all in a lot of trouble..."

--

Gaius Baltar [in a desperate, high-pitched voice]: "No more Mr. Nice Gaius!"

--

Adama: "She wouldn't have done this on her own. She was coerced..."

Tigh: "No one coerces Starbuck. Believe me, I've tried..."

--

Roslin: "Doctor, I need your help. But it's illegal, dangerous, and in violation of your oath as an officer."

Doctor Cottle: "You're a lousy salesman..."

--

Adama: "She thinks you'll be president one day."

Billy: "Excuse me?"

Adama: "That's what she said to me once. That you reminded her of President Adar when he ran for his first office."

Billy: "I don't really know how to respond to that, sir."

Adama: "Don't let it go to your head - Adar was a moron!"

--

"This isn't dueling pistols at dawn, this is war - you never want to fight fair, you want to sneak up behind your enemy and club him over the head!"

- Starbuck: "Scar"

--

Tigh: "Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that."

- Colonel Tigh: "Precipice"

--

Tigh to Roslyn: "You know, sometimes I think you've got ice-water in those veins, and other times I think you're just a naive little schoolteacher. I've sent men on suicide missions in two wars now and let me tell you something - it don't make a god's damn bit of difference whether they riding in a viper or walking out onto a paradeground, in the end they're just as dead. So take your piety and your moralizing and your high-minded principles and stick them someplace safe until you're off this rock and you're sitting in your nice, cushy chair on Colonial One again. I've got a war to fight!"

- Colonel Tigh: "Precipice"

--

Sharon: "Can I ask you a question? How do you know? How do you really know you can trust me?"

Adama: "I don't. That's what trust is."

--

"Sometimes surviving can be its own death sentence."

- Tigh: "Hero"

"You don't want to believe it, I know. The truth hurts, Bulldog. But it's better to know the truth than to live a lie. We're all soldiers, Danny - we're all expendable, and we did what we had to do to protect the mission. It's ugly, but there it is..."

- Tigh, "Hero"

"You gotta love a woman who can complain even with her jaw wired shut..."

- Dr. Cottle (to Cally): "Lay Down Your Burdens, part 2"

"There is a reason why you separate the military and the police. One fights the enemy of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tends to become the people..."

- Adama to Roslin: "Water"

Archived