Home

sv_maxclient

Mpetrus

hi all, did anyone change the value of sv_maxclient more then 32 players?

i need a server can support more then 32 players, but i can't set the number i want.

i also tryed "to force" the dedicated server to set the number i want, but when it loads a map, sets the number to 32.

thx for replay

That limit is hard-coded here (q_shared.h) :

#define	MAX_CLIENTS			32

I presume you could just change MAX_CLIENTS to whatever you like, but it is probable the server won't like it with 40 clients or so... well, you just have to try ;)

It is also possible that raising this alone will break everything, because there won't be enough room for all the entities etc... I don't know...

:) i tried a lot of values before posting....considering also the server rate but null.

when i compilied ( with MVSC) the official sdk, i found a control for maxclients:

in bg_public.h there was

#if (CS_MAX) > MAX_CONFIGSTRINGS

#error overflow: (CS_MAX) > MAX_CONFIGSTRINGS

#endif

that genereted an error while compiling....

in the source, modificated for compiling with dev-cpp, this control was inhibited.

so i compile the dlls with a value of sv_maxclient=86 (for example), but when i launch the jampDep with my dll the number of maxclient is again set to 32 by the main .exe

considering that we have a number of entities=1024.....

@ esiform: i read your answer after my reply...

which loops are you talking about ?

I think what ensi is basically saying is that there's critical things that have to be done for clients inside the engine. But, you can't change the MAX_CLIENTS variable for the engine code since you don't have access to the engine's source code.

but this is a server side modification....i think being under 1024 entities the client doesn't have problems, i hope :)

i'm new in studing JA code, but in a first read, it seems to be very close to q3's one which allows 128 players in a map...or not?

Parts of which which you don't have access to.

Quit asking silly questions like where code x and y are...

It's deep in the engine and that is final.

Truth be told, the JKA engine code isn't entirely the same because its in C++ not regular C which you would have a tough time deciphering how to make things work. No, I myself do not have the code but I've seen the makefiles and it is all looking for cpp files and thus can assume its C++.

If you really must know, this is probably one of the main reasons why it isn't letting you physically edit the cvar once the server is loaded:

/*
===============
SV_BoundMaxClients

===============
*/
void SV_BoundMaxClients( int minimum ) {
// get the current maxclients value
Cvar_Get( "sv_maxclients", "8", 0 );

sv_maxclients->modified = qfalse;

if ( sv_maxclients->integer < minimum ) {
	Cvar_Set( "sv_maxclients", va("%i", minimum) );
} else if ( sv_maxclients->integer > MAX_CLIENTS ) {