Home

Who Is Your Favorite Sith Lords (ranking system)?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So many people hate Malak. At least he was within the realm of what we have seen in Star Wars (by that, I mean on screen). He ordered the destruction of a planet, but he needed a fleet of ships to do it. He ruled through fear. He was not a god-like being who killed whole planets with a thought. Aside from his maniacal laugh, he was very Vader-like, and therefore worthy of placement above that joke called Nihilus.

I absolutely agree with you, but I think people have made up their opinions alrdy, and this thread is just to show which opinion is the most popular. :)

So many people hate Malak. At least he was within the realm of what we have seen in Star Wars (by that, I mean on screen). He ordered the destruction of a planet, but he needed a fleet of ships to do it. He ruled through fear. He was not a god-like being who killed whole planets with a thought. Aside from his maniacal laugh, he was very Vader-like, and therefore worthy of placement above that joke called Nihilus.

This is precisely why Malak is a joke and a travesty. He is a carbon-copy of Vader and a very, very, very, very, pathetically poor one at that. Just listening to him laugh once explains all I need to know about how he probably lost his jaw, and he's not even manipulative, cunning or cruel like Vader is at that. Vader kills his own generals and lobs the hand off his own son. Malak just bombards planets and acts like a pathetic little kid who blames it all on Revan when he doesn't get his way in the end. How he bows to Revan's might with his last breath really is the final insult to any Sith. He is beneath contempt...

Nihilus, on the other hand, has some mystery. He IS mystery. It's not just that he's powerful, but more because he is a primal force of nature, an ancient evil that defies logic or understanding. He is scary by his very essence, because it is human nature to be afraid of the unknown, which is what Nihilus embodies. He is corruption and entropy incarnate, and to know him is to fall into the darkness of the void that he represents. That is why he is far better villain than Mr. Cheesy can ever hope to be.

The way you describe Nihilus does sound very interesting, no doubt, but you portray him the best possible way you can portray such a character.

Essentially there's a character that has a good appearance and super powers. That's more or less all we know about him. If you interpret it the way you do, it is ok, but Nihilus is neither unique nor innovative.

The way you describe Nihilus does sound very interesting, no doubt, but you portray him the best possible way you can portray such a character.

And I ask the question, "Can you make Malak sound interesting with such a statement?"

The fact is, although I like Traya better, Nihilus is the most interesting of all the Sith Lords. I know all I need to know about Malak to know that I hate him - he's an arrogant, savage brute with a pathetically lame laugh. I know nothing of Nihilus on the other hand, which is exactly what draws me to him.

And I ask the question, "Can you make Malak sound interesting with such a statement?"

The fact is, although I like Traya better, Nihilus is the most interesting of all the Sith Lords. I know all I need to know about Malak to know that I hate him - he's an arrogant, savage brute with a pathetically lame laugh. I know nothing of Nihilus on the other hand, which is exactly what draws me to him.

I have no problem with the mystery part of Nihilus. I would love to hear more about him. The problem is how powerful he was made out to be. If he could enter a "room" full of Jedi, and kill them with the Force, that would be fine. But a whole planet!?!? What's next? Darth Q?

Why should that surprise you? Naturally I'm not objective when describing him, at least not in this instance. But I like Nihilus (as a villain) and probably because he inspires concepts and emotions that I find fascinating. I like mystery, so I like Nihilus, because that's what he is. If you don't like mystery and prefer to know your enemy up front, then you're more likely to favor Malak, who is an open book to Revan and the jedi masters.

Essentially there's a character that has a good appearance and super powers. That's more or less all we know about him. If you interpret it the way you do, it is ok, but Nihilus is neither unique nor innovative.

Not generally, no. I do think he is unusual for Star Wars, since I can't recall seeing a character like that before, but otherwise he is not terribly original as such. I mean, eating planets? Galactus already does that. So does Brainiac, albeit to a lesser extent. Gothic horror quality? Competely stolen from Dracula (Stoker's original novel, not Coppola's pathetic drivel by James V. Hart).

What does interest me, however, is the apparent connection between the Exile and Nihilus. There's something there we don't know about yet. Again, mystery. And that bit is somewhat original, I think, since it must have something to do with the force, which we know only in Star Wars.

The worst part is, though, that if there is a KotOR3 that reveals more stuff about Nihilus, then I'm almost certain to be disappointed...

Oh man I could go on for hours about how cheesy, lame, clichéd; cheesy, lame, clichéd; cheesy, lame, clichéd; oh, and did I mention cheesy, lame and clichéd Malak was. If I were to make a list of the worst characters in Star Wars, then my top three in that list would go like this:

1. Darth Malak

2. Jar-Jar Binks

3. Episode I Anakin

I mean, if Malak didn’t have that appalling, cringe worthy in a bad way laugh that he has, which unfortunately he does; then I wouldn’t rate him as the worst character in Star Wars. But he does, so…

Even if he didn’t have that laugh, he’d still be the third worst character in Star Wars in my opinion of course.

The worst part is, though, that if there is a KotOR3 that reveals more stuff about Nihilus, then I'm almost certain to be disappointed...

How come? You don’t think they’d do the same thing you did in your KotOR III plot suggestion with Nihilus? Well, while of course I don’t want you to set yourself up for disappointment in KotOR III (and clearly you haven’t) I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if the official KotOR III plot is very similar to yours. At least the main concepts of your plot anyway.

Avellone has said to me via email that he had a KotOR III plot in mind when writing TSL, and if you ask me, I think the investigating that you’ve done which set the basis for your ideas for the main plot of KotOR III is really accurate. In other words, you’re on to something. :)

I don't know about you guys, but if the story I had in mind of Kotor III would really be in the game, THEN I would be disappointed...

I really do except Kotor III's plot to totally suprise and fascinate me. It would suck If I had guessed it would be like that beforehand.

@Jediphile

You're very convincing. I guess Nihilus is a good villain for those who like to speculate a lot. Actually I like to speculate a lot, but it didn't work for me. Somehow that badass looking guy really disappointed me.

EDIT

@EagerWeasel

No I can't make such a statement. But I'm sure that there are people here who have the language skills to portray Malak in a very good way...

How come? You don’t think they’d do the same thing you did in your KotOR III plot suggestion with Nihilus? Well, while of course I don’t want you to set yourself up for disappointment in KotOR III (and clearly you haven’t) I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if the official KotOR III plot is very similar to yours. At least the main concepts of your plot anyway.

Avellone has said to me via email that he had a KotOR III plot in mind when writing TSL, and if you ask me, I think the investigating that you’ve done which set the basis for your ideas for the main plot of KotOR III is really accurate. In other words, you’re on to something. :)

Oh, I do so wish I could believe that, but the problem is that I posted my thoughts on the subject. Not that I mind other people seeing it, but in order to post it, I had to articulate it, which means I've defined what I expect will happen in the plot and what I assume Nihilus to be. If that is not the case, then disappointment is virtually guaranteed, either because what appears in the game is not up to my expectations or because I was simply dead wrong (I've never claimed that I was NOT self-important or padded myself on the back for my own ingenuity - it's usually when people claim the opposite that they are lying, in my experience).

I guess the waiting is a big part of the problem. I posted my suspicions of a KotOR3 plot about half a year after TSL was released. It's not close to two years later, and KotOR3 hasn't even been announced. I never dreamed that could happen. I mean, TSL's ending is just BEGGING for a sequel, so what's the hold-up? In the meantime, I'm stuck with my own musings of what will be in the game, and as time passes, they become more confirmed in my mind. And that's not a good thing, since there are doubtlessly differences between what I suspect and what KotOR3 will actually be.

Don't get me wrong, though. It's definitely a good thing that Avellone had a plot in mind when doing TSL, since it means that TSL's ending is not only intentional but also done as a setup for what will follow. It also means that I could have been right about at least some of my suspicions, since Avellone could have foreshadowed his plot in TSL, which is what I based my suspicions on. But it still doesn't mean that I'm a great genius who is right about everything in KotOR3, and in my experience, it's best to expect the worst - you far more likely to not end up disappointed that way.

1. Traya

2. Sion and Malak (tied)

4. Nihilus

Nihilus does nothing for me beyond the general fanboy concerns of looking cool, having that mysterious voice, and having a special quality/power. With what we are given by the game, I find nothing else compelling about him. Because I, personally, have no interest in his connections to characters in some EU story about Padawans being slaughtered by their own masters after it was foretold that one would be a "destroyer of planets." At this point, that has zero relevance to any character or character's storyline we have encountered in the games.

Even his special power does little for me but show how the Exile's own "wound" could be used in the hands of someone destructively evil, and why the Exile was specially suited for dealing with Nihilus where other Jedi could not. His Force-munching ability is actually what puts the pieces of the plot into place for TSL, but the only character able to expound on it with any degree of knowledge is Kreia, and she says little enough.

That's not to say that I don't think Nihilus had potential or has potential, pending KotOR3. But questions concerning a character that has *zero* comprehensible lines of dialogue, and is on screen for a total of thirty seconds before being cut down does not add to the mystery to me, it adds to the pointlessness of him.

Nihilus missed out due to cut content, you were meant to see more of him but they cut it out. On that note he was always mysterious.

I think the vote would be different for him had he more screen time.

Nihilus, i believe, has much more character than Sion. We just never saw it because it was cut. What is Sion besides a guy coated in wounds with the ability to heal instantly. What are his ambitions? He has a personality but he does not look overly powerful... Not compared to Kreia, who mimcs the empiror, and Nihilus, who echoes Darth Vader.

Sion has a personal gripe with you due to Kreia. People mistake the exile's involvement with Sion as actual character when it really only just shows another side of Sion that we did not get to see with Nihilus. This is just what i think...

Results are here.

SilentScope001's vote:

1. Kreia 3

2. Nihilus 2

3. Sion 1

4. Malak 0

(My) Topsite's vote:

1. Sion 3

2. Traya 2

3. Malak 1

4. Nihilus 0

Arátoeldar's vote:

1. Kreia 3

2a. Sion 2

2b. Malak 2

4. Nihilus 1

Jediphile's vote:

1st Nihilus 3

2nd Traya 2

3rd Sion 1

38473893th Malak [insert missing :shifty: smiley here] 0

axel's vote:

1st nihilus 3

2nd sion 2

3rd traya 1

4rth Malak 0

Ctrl_Alt_Del's vote:

1)Nihilus 3

2)Traya 2

3)Malak 1

4)Sion 0

Venom750's vote:

1) Malak 3

2)Sion 2

3)Traya 1

4)Nihilus 0

EnIgmA_XX's vote:

1.Kreia 3

2.Sion 2

3.Malak 1

4.Nihilus 0

The Architect's vote:

1. Darth Traya 3

2. Darth Nihilus 2

3. Darth Sion 1

4 x 100 x 500 x … (Whoops. I’ve run out of space). Darth Cheese (Malak) 0

Kal Onasi's vote:

1.) Kreia/Traya 3

2.) Malak 2

3.) Sion 1

4.) Nihilus 0

Rockstar's votes:

1)Nihilus 3

2)Traya 2

3)Malek 1

4)Sion 0

1st Traya 3

2nd Nihlus and Sion 2

4th Malek 1

beehoon's vote:

1. Kreia 3

2. Sion 2

3. Nihilus and Malak tie 1

TKA-001's vote:

1. Kreia/Traya 3

2. Nihilus 2

3. Sion 1

4. Malak 0

Robb Stark's vote:

1. Traya 3

2. Sion and Malak (tied) 2

4. Nihilus 1

Results

1st. Kreia/Traya 47

2nd. Nihilus 23

3rd. Sion 22

4th. Malak 15

sion and malack

I assume that those two Sith Lords are joint first. They will be in the next results and Kreia and Nihilus second, unless you put them in an order. I'm slightly annoyed that Nihilus has beaten Sion by one, but I'm happy that he has beaten Malak at least.

Does anyone else think that the KOTOR villains up until now have all been kind of...Lame?

I mean Nihilus was very cool looking. But he fights like a girl...and he talks like a broken vacuum cleaner...

Scion was BAD ASS...but every time I see him walking around with his shirt off, and talking with his accent, I find myself LOLing.

Kreia is well...old...I mean...really old. In a bad way. And shes annoying. In a bad way. And shes...annoying.

Malak is cheese.

Malak = :cowdance

I'm just saying...that possibly...IF we could take Nihiluses coolness...Kreias evil cunning, Scions bad assness, and Malaks voice...and combine them into a singular being...

:vadar:

O! Nm...

VOTES ARE AS FOLLOWS

1: Scion\Nihilus WHY? They're just both so...cool...and minty fresh.

3: Malak\Kreia WHY? Meh

Ok, not only was your post illiterate rambling but:

Scion was BAD ASS...but every time I see him walking around with his shirt off, and talking with the Aussie accent, I find myself LOLing. CRANKY MATE!

LOL! I forgot my votes!

Aussie?! You must be American because it is more of a soft scottish accent than Australian (and yes I am Australian, and no, we never ever say 'crickey' despite what that crocodile hunter says)

For the rest of the world. Steve Irwin's voice is very odd and we don't speak like him lol...

Kreia is well...old...I mean...really old. In a bad way. And shes annoying. In a bad way. And shes...annoying.

Somehow, the idea of having a apparently fragilized old woman as the uber-villain on a game seems so fascinating, and she can kick your butt as much as she killed three Jedi Masters with one blow.

• 7 months later...

Archived