Home

Is this KotOR III idea too complicated or not?

The Architect

I don’t think it should be a walk in the park in KotOR III, in terms of what you want your alignment to be that is.

What if say you intend on being a goody goody LS’der, but some of the dialogue choices/options you think is LS aren’t really, thus you don’t earn LS points, and maybe even gain DS points? What if you intend on being a LS’der, but you still use some dark side powers, and every time you use DS powers, you slowly fall to the dark side?

And what if it’s much harder for you to redeem yourself? Say if you’re DS, and you want to go back to the LS. What if LS options only appear every now and again instead of all the time? This would mean you’d have to stop using DS powers if you have them as well.

I think ideas like this could be interesting from a game play and role-playing perspective. I don’t think you should have LS and DS choices in your dialogue choices all the time. It should depend. You can’t just be a random switch!

Scenario 1: “Die Jedi scum!”

Next scenario; scenario 2: “There is no emotion, there is peace.”

What the hell? Yeah, this idea probably has been discussed before, but if it hasn’t, well now it has.

I mean, shouldn’t the uh, alignment system or whatever be a bit more realistic?

Sure you can be a random switch! If someone wants to roleplay as a pshyotic bipolar Jedi who has no meds and who switches from LS to DS in a pinch, he should!

It would be a good way of RPing a Grey Jedi, especially since there was at least one Grey Jedi accused by some people of being a bit pshyotic herself. I should do that sometimes.

I agree that the alignment system should be more realistic, since I've never seen a game in any Star Wars series that has it realistic, except for Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight, since to fall to the dark side, Kyle had to do many dark acts through the game, like killing innocent people etc. Games like Jedi Academy just suddenly had you on the dark side in my opinion.

My only problem with this is, is as you say complicated and it would be hard and take a lot of time to put in. But great idea all the same Architect.

Once you've reached a certain point on the dark (or light) path, there should definitely be fewer light (or dark) choices. So no, this isn't too hard to understand, at least for me it isn't. The only problem is with the little kids (or not so little kids) who play just to see how the story ends. They would probably rather not have to be so involved.

I think that once you get past a certain level, whatever side you are on should determine which types of choices you get. However, this would be a bit tricky to program (there would have to be a lot more choices to have the variety), and the current system seems to work well enough.

Plus, if you are playing LS, its sorta fun to see how evil you could be, or how rediculous a response is. Somewhat like a silly answer on a test or quiz, that is there just for the amusement of the test taker and teacher.

It would certainly be good to have a more realistic DS/LS system. However, I don't want it to be triggered by the powers I skill and use. I don't want it to heavily impact what powers I can use.

For me, gameplay and dialog/interaction are 2 different things, for example, I would always skill force lightning, even when I play a totally light sided character. I'm a fan of Kyle's "philosophy". No power is good or evil...

One thing I'd really like to see, is that the dialog choices are not that obviously aimed at one alignement. Have something in between.

It's really not that complicated, you just add in many more dialogue options with a variety of results as opposed to only LS/DS outcomes.

If the use of various powers is going to influence your alignment, then I think that certain powers that were LS or DS in K1/2 should be neutral powers. Force lightning is a good example of something that should be neutral. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't yoda use force lightning against Ducku and the Emporer in ep II and III or he is only reflecting theirs back on them? Its been awhile since I last watched II and III. Something like force choke should stay DS though since the only character we see using it is Vader.

Yoda is reflecting Lightning back at both Dooku and Palpatine. As for force choke, Luke is using it against two gamorreans in Return of the Jedi so no it isn't DS only.

Somehow however, Return of the Jedi is a bit strange during the Jabba the Hutt part since Luke also offers (DS act no doubt) his droids to Jabba.

The idea itself: Using DS powers often get's you to the DS. That's not a bad idea. But it would also mean that if you use LS powers during maybe a battle scene, which saves the lives of some innocents (while you are DS) you could gain LS points.

But then, it should be kept in mind that Kotor III wouldn't become some kind of action, maybe even first person based game.

Archived