Home

Jade Empire modding (see first post for info summary)

stoffe

While playing, I screwed up the talk trees and managed to activate the Sky romance thread when I only wanted the Princess one. Is there any way to de-activate the sky thread or change the variable to Princess?

You could try to change the global variables that seemingly keep track of these things. I don't know if it's sufficient in your situation, but it worked for me to do "late switching" in Dirge when I unwittingly had managed to avoid any romantic entanglements at all. :)

A script like this might work. I've attached a compiled version below if you don't have a script compiler handy to do so yourself. Unzip its content into your game's override folder.

void main() {
   SetGlobalBoolean("J00_SILKFOX_ROMANCE_DONE", FALSE);
   SetGlobalBoolean("J00_SILKFOX_ROMANCE", TRUE);
   SetGlobalBoolean("J00_SKY_ROMANCE", FALSE); 
}

Then you need to run the script from somewhere. The easiest way is usually to attach it to a "reward event" (or whatever to call it) near where you currently are in the game. I.e. when the game gives you silver, some item or XP it would run the script as well. The rewards are set in 2da files with an ar_ prefix, there is a column where you can set the name of a script file to run (without the NCS suffix).

If you can't get it to work, say where in the game you are currently and perhaps I can find a suitable 2da file to use.

st_foxfix.zip

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I just, unzip those files into override and get playing?

I'm not understanding this scripting stuff, more complex than I'm used to.

I'm *right* at the part where you enter the imperial palace for the first time, after leaving the imperial city.

I have a question: is it possible to get the Sword of the Bough (which is a sword upgrade for Silk fox during the siege of Dirge) from the beginning?

In items.2da this upgrade has number #546, the script that is mentioned is j07_a_wpn_32. What I tried is putting this script and number in ar_town.2da in the row #35 after_chapter_screen but this does not seem to work... I do get a 'received sword of bough' message but nothing is added to the styles screen.

This method does work for any other long sword/staff update, though (demon/dragon sword, etc), so I do not know why this doesn't work for Silk Fox's weapon upgrade (and I guess the same would be true for the upgrades for the Black whirlwind and Dawn Star).

I guess changing weapon "j00_sword02" to "j00_sword03" + changing the NameRef/Descref on line #29 in stylesuperlist.d2a might do it, but I'm just wondering why you can't just add this upgrade if you can do it with Dragon/Demon sword.

So I just, unzip those files into override and get playing?

I'm not understanding this scripting stuff, more complex than I'm used to.

I'm *right* at the part where you enter the imperial palace for the first time, after leaving the imperial city.

No, you'd need to make the game run the script somewhere as well. I've attached a modified variant of the reward table for the Imperial Palace (first visit/act 4) below. Unzip its content into the override folder along with the scripts attached to the previous post. This file should make the game run the script which adjusts the romance variables after either Yahzen or ChaiKa have been beaten after their final confrontation when you first arrive at the palace (when you receive a technique as reward for helping one beat the other).

Hopefully there are no romance related conversations that need to be done before that.

ar_palace4.zip

I have a question: is it possible to get the Sword of the Bough (which is a sword upgrade for Silk fox during the siege of Dirge) from the beginning?

If I understand this correctly you are trying to give the sword to the player character?

The problem is most likely that the script you are running (j07_a_wpn_32) is trying to apply an upgrade to a style/weapon that your character does not possess (Silk Fox's longsword). You'll need to use a script that applies the upgrade to the player character's longsword style instead. Something like this (compiled variant attached below):

void main() {
   if(!GetHasStyle(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD))
       AddCombatStyle(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD, 1, STYLEMAP_NONE, TRUE);

ApplyStyleAdvanceLine(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD, 48);
}

st_foxme.zip

Thank you, I understand.

So the method I suggested of changing the weapon listed in stylesuperlist.2da in line 29 which is the Single sword weapon style, namely j00_sword02 (Fortune's favourite) to j00_sword03 (Sword of the broken bough), would not work?

Another possibility could be changing the Dragon sword to Sword of the bough in StyleAdvance.2da... this should make it possible to purchase it in the Imperial city.

Unfortunately for modding I cannot go beyond editing 2da files; I am horribly bad in anything even remotely connected to programming, hence I cannot write any scripts that work.

So the method I suggested of changing the weapon listed in stylesuperlist.2da in line 29 which is the Single sword weapon style, namely j00_sword02 (Fortune's favourite) to j00_sword03 (Sword of the broken bough), would not work?

That would probably work as well if you just want to change the appearance and name of the player's longsword to that of the one Silk Fox gets at Dirge, using the weapon model and description override StrRef from styleadvance.2da and setting in on line 29 in stylesuperlist.2da.

Unfortunately for modding I cannot go beyond editing 2da files; I am horribly bad in anything even remotely connected to programming, hence I cannot write any scripts that work.

2DA editing should be enough if you want to switch around the names and weapon models of various styles. Jade Empire seems to rely very heavily on 2DA files for its game data, making the need for scripts much smaller than in earlier Aurora engine games like KOTOR and NWN.

The thing for Silk Fox's romance didn't work. Oh well, I was curious how the Sky ending went anyhow. Besides, I have a savegame from before I met Silk Fox, so even though I have to play through it again I can correct my mistake.

I thought the Sky deal was sorta like Carth Onasi with Dustil, I chose the options to find out more of his daughter, hoping there'd be some quest regarding that that I haven't seen.

Thanks much for your help, Stoffe. I'll wait a little longer until there are a few more mods/skins for Jade Empire and I'll restart the game and not make the silly mistakes I already have.

Was she outside the tent? Or did you just miss the romance ?

Anyway i made a horrible mistake when i tried to have romance with Sky.

He was outside the tent but bcz i missed a dialog i couldn't finish the romance and i couldn't get into the tent...

Here is what i did wrong

I can not get the Romance Conclusion Scene (Kiss scene) with my lover at Dirge, did I screw up somewhere?

The problem that most people miss the romance due to 1 dialogue that's very easy to miss (I know because I did).

- Provided you talked to them on Chapter 1 and 2, Basically the point is there are 3 dialogue runs for each romance interest at chapter 3. And people can easily miss the second run.

+ First Dialogue: Right at the beginning (right after Silk Fox joint)

+ Second Run: After one of the 2 Lotus recruiter meet you. Note that this dialogue becomes available right after you meet one of them.

+ Third Run: After you received one of the Lotus seal.

- The thing is usually people after meet one of the recruiter will go right for the quest and solve it, thus miss out the second dialogue. Especially if you're doing the Arena, since you probably just meet the excution recruiter and run through the arena not knowing there is one romance dialogue for this period.

Example for Silk Fox:

- you have to talk to her after she joint you and before you meet with with either of the recruiters.

-talk to her again after the Inquistor or Excutioner approach you and before you finish one of the quests. (again, this is an easy one to miss, unless you have that particular follower with you and chat with him/her by chance).

-Then talk to her again after you finished one of the recruiting quest and before you enter the forstress area.

Don't do the same mistake as i did...

Usually after completing a part of the main quest, a yellow arrow will appear over your followers' heads. That's how you know when to speak up.

It suffices to speak to every follower each time you return to your base camp. I did it this way with Sky (whom I never used as a follower) and I did not miss the romance.

If you want to romance Silk Fox with a female character, though, you need to either ignore or reject Sky.

Jade Empire Savegame Editor v0.4 released

I've uploaded the initial release of a savegame editor for Jade Empire. See the first post of this thread for the download link.

Edit: I've also uploaded SAC Utils to extract/pack the the save.sac file just in case anyone wants to try low level tweaking of their savegames with K-GFF.

Edit: v0.2 released: Fixed Appearance behavior -- now shows list and found an extra field in the GFF that needed to be tweaked to get the changes to stick.

Edit: v0.3 released: Added Weapons, Plot Items, Flyer Improvements, Techniques, Amulet, Gems nodes. Also added ability to Add/Remove Styles and the aforementioned elements

Edit: v0.4 released: Added Henchmen selection/availability and fixed style bars (was off by one)

That is awesome :D

But i have a bug. When i try to add a style to the game it's not showing any of the new styles . With other words nothing has changed. All style i have tried to add was cut so is it possible to add cut styles or will the game crash?

Edit: I tried to add ice shard and it worked. But is it possible to restore the cut styles?

That is awesome :D

But i have a bug. When i try to add a style to the game it's not showing any of the new styles . With other words nothing has changed. All style i have tried to add was cut so is it possible to add cut styles or will the game crash?

Styles marked as "cut" are not present in the game and only have a few junk lines left in the 2DA files since you can't remove lines safely from a 2DA file without an enormous amount of work. (This is a "problem" in all games using 2DA files, KOTOR has such dummy entries as well for appearances, force powers, feats etc that didn't end up in the final version of the game.)

Many of the NPC and creature styles won't work if assigned to the player either, since they don't have data set that is required by player styles. There are a few, like Monkey Paw, that does work (even if the upgrade of it is improperly configured) when assigned to the player, but generally you should be prepared for lots of crashes if you assign styles that are not meant for use by the player (standard ones or ones added by mods).

No, TSLPatcher would not work to use for many types of JE modding in its current state. The KOTOR games (and NWN) use the TLK V3.0 format for the dialog.tlk file, while Jade Empire uses the TLK V4.0 format. Since TSLPatcher was made for KOTOR it does not handle this format.

Further, TSLPatcher only deals with 2DA files in binary 2DA V2.b format. Jade Empire supports this format, but many of the 2DA files, especially modded ones, are in the older 2DA V2.0 text format instead.

Lastly, while the GFF format is roughly the same in KOTOR and JE, the latter has a new data type added to the format. TSLPatcher's GFF handling is not aware of this data type, for aforementioned reasons. It would probably complain if it encounters data types it does not recognize when loading a GFF file using this field type.

Well... is it possible to make a JE patcher?

Well... is it possible to make a JE patcher?

Most likely, it's not exactly rocket science any of it, and most of the relevant file formats are already known. It would just require someone with the time, desire and motivation to do it. :)

I don't think I'll try to adapt TSLPatcher for Jade Empire though. It's a horrible mess that has grown way beyond what it was originally intended for. As such it's pretty much held together with steel wire and duct tape and not designed (if you could call it designed at all) for being easily expandable or changeable. It would probably be easier to just start over from scratch. :)

I now how bioware get coorinates now :D

Dear Bioware,

How do you get coordinates in the game? And is it possible to make a script that fires the coordinates?

~The fun side ( That is me :p )

script would do that, yes:

I believe PrintLocation( GetLocation( GetPlayer()) should work. If not you can use PrintVector( GetPositionFromLocation( GetLocation( GetPlayer())))

Does anyone know where i can find the files for this sun lian model?

sunlianmodelzg9.jpgsunlianmodel2ep8.jpg

She appears like this when you land in the imperial city for the first time.

(no mask, ribbons hanging down from her head and the yellow things hanging from her arms)

That model is using the files

a_300-a.rim (j04_city_core)

h_prnces01.txb

n_prnces01.txb

n_prnces_.mdx

a300.rim (j04_city_core)

n_prnces_.mdl

It's used by appearance type 82 (in appearance.2da). Keep in mind though that this model have no impact hooks, so it's impossible to harm her with melee attacks if using it. :)

That model is using the files

a_300-a.rim (j04_city_core)

h_prnces01.txb

n_prnces01.txb

n_prnces_.mdx

a300.rim (j04_city_core)

n_prnces_.mdl

It's used by appearance type 82 (in appearance.2da). Keep in mind though that this model have no impact hooks, so it's impossible to harm her with melee attacks if using it. :)

When i extract those files and rename them to

H_Silk01.txb

N_Silk01.txb

N_SilkNM_.mdx

and

N_SilkNM_.mdl

And place them in the override folder she appears like this

wrongoj7.jpg

with the mask and nothing hanging from the arms :(

When i extract those files and rename them to

H_Silk01.txb

N_Silk01.txb

N_SilkNM_.mdx

and

N_SilkNM_.mdl

And place them in the override folder she appears like this

wrongoj7.jpg

with the mask and nothing hanging from the arms :(

Weird, looks like you haven't replaced the model, just the texture. I suspect the models are named internally as well, and if you just change the filename and not the object name it causes trouble.

You shouldn't need to rename/replace the models, just change the value in the MODELA column for line 35 and 201 to N_Prnces_ in the appearance.2da file and she'll use that model instead. (You'll still need to extract the model and textures to the override folder though.)

Weird, looks like you haven't replaced the model, just the texture. I suspect the models are named internally as well, and if you just change the filename and not the object name it causes trouble.

You shouldn't need to rename/replace the models, just change the value in the MODELA column for line 35 and 201 to N_Prnces_ in the appearance.2da file and she'll use that model instead. (You'll still need to extract the model and textures to the override folder though.)

Didn't know you had to change the text file as well :p

It's working perfectly now, thanks :D

void main() {
   if(!GetHasStyle(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD))
       AddCombatStyle(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD, 1, STYLEMAP_NONE, TRUE);

ApplyStyleAdvanceLine(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD, 48);
}

What if i want to add a magic style to the game? How would i do then? And Which file is that the script search in?

What if i want to add a magic style to the game? How would i do then? And Which file is that the script search in?

Assuming you've added your new style to the stylesuperlist.2da and StyleData.2da file (and created the new 2DA files required for it), you could use a script fired from a reward event to add the style to the player. You use the line number from stylesuperlist.2da to do this. So if for example you add your new style at line 111, the script could look like:

void main() {
   if(!GetHasStyle(GetPlayer(), [color=Yellow]111[/color]))
       AddCombatStyle(GetPlayer(), [color=Yellow]111[/color], 1, STYLEMAP_NONE, TRUE);
}

Though you don't need to make any script at all if you do it properly like the other styles in the game and add the style as a powerup item instead. You do this by adding a new line for it in powerups.2da. On this line, set the columns like:

name = text label for your item, doesn't matter

useablebynpc = 0

script = j99_g_addstyle

soundcue = pl_powerup

guiicon = ui_i_powerup

scriptvalue = line number in stylesuperlist.2da

combatonly = 0

(Set all other to ****)

Then you add a new line to items.2da which points to your new powerup. Set the columns like:

LABEL = text label for your item, doesn't matter

TYPE = powerups

ID = line number in powerups.2da of your new line

COST = silvers a merchant would sell the style for

3DMODEL = w_icon_test

ICON = name of your TGA file with the style icon

STRREF_NAME = dialog.tlk strref to entry with the name of your style

STRREF_DESC = dialog.tlk strref to entry with the description text of your style

SCRIPT = ****

REWARD = 9

With this done, all you need to do to grant your style is to modify one of the ar_*.2da files (which handles handing out rewards and loot for the various areas) and set the line number of your line in items.2da in the Item column and your style will be given when that reward is handed out.

If the reward event you want to use already gives out another item you can specify several items separated by a comma, like... "177,42" ...to give out both item 177 and item 42.

Assuming you've added your new style to the stylesuperlist.2da and StyleData.2da file ...if for example you add your new style at line 111, the script could look like...

Though you don't need to make any script at all if you do it properly like the other styles in the game and add the style as a powerup item instead. You do this by adding a new line for it in powerups.2da....

I know that you could do that but the module i want to place the style in have no 2da. Thanks anyway :)

Archived