Home

Jade Empire modding (see first post for info summary)

stoffe

Could someone help instruct me as to how to award myself either the second Viper Style scroll, or to simply award my character the Viper style? I posted a more detailed account of this, but I can't seem to find any way to get it, other than taking the extensive effort of replaying the game once I've gotten Jade Master. I would much rather mod the thing, and learn how to do (extremely) simple things such as that, and say, playing with the difficulty's effects on damage given/taken. Any help would be lovely, and I thank you all, for both all the amazing effort you've put in here, and for any help given on this issue of mine. Danke.

~Matt.-

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could someone help instruct me as to how to award myself either the second Viper Style scroll, or to simply award my character the Viper style?

You can use scripts to give the player new styles. Here's a simple example script that gives the Viper style along with 10 points to spend on improving styles:

#include "j00_i_styles"

void main() {
   RewardStyle(STYLE_VIPER, STYLEMAP_NONE, -1, TRUE, FALSE); 
   AddCombatStylePoints(GetPlayer(), 10);
}

Compile the script and put the resulting NCS file in the game's override folder. To use the script it will need to be run from somewhere though.

The easiest way is to modify the game's standard reward system to give you the style. The game uses the set of 2DA files whose names starts with ar_ to specify rewards given out for a particular area of the game.

If, for example, you want to give out the style in the school/village you start in you could modify the ar_town.2da file. The label column should give a decent idea what each reward line belongs to. Find a suitable one where the script column is currently (set to ****) and put the name of your script that gives the style here.

(I'm using the Lionpuzzle_placed_silver_in_bowl line to give my home made styles at the start of the game. It triggers when placing a coin at the shrine of the old master behind Master Li's home.)

I suppose I can consider this both poke to see if this is still active or not and a request. Most of the efforts seem to have been made around modeling the female characters in the game, which is all well and good except that I thought they were pretty well designed to begin with. It's the male characters that bug me. Furious Ming has that gigantic Chinese dragon on his back which I end up staring at so much it begins to look like he's either half fish or simply very hairy. Lu the Prodigy has tiny arms that seem fairly out of proportion to his body.

I love the way the monk looks, except his eyebrows which seem to be curling upwards like some old fashioned mustache. He shaves his head and has those gigantic things? Come on. But the uniform is top notch, I love the flowing robes thing, especially with the Scholar female character. I understand that I'm being fairly nitpicky here, but with so much attention focused upon the female character models, I was hoping for some attention to the male models and maybe sprucing up a few of them. Believe me, if I had even the slightest artistic skills I would be trying it myself, but unfortunately the only thing I was gifted with as a child was a raging sense of dry humor.

I'm currently working on a series of gems. Now I'm guessing you put how much they modify your stats in the dialog.tlk, but how DO you know how much to put there? Take one of my gems for example I'm using effects 62, 64, and 65. With the parameters each 12. So would I say that this gem adds 12 to body, mind, and chi?

It's of note, several of the mods linked no longer work (three brothers and Moon Light mods, for example) as the host has deleted them for being too old.

Here is a link to Elephant demon and moon light mod.

Unfortunately is Three brothers is gone becuase i had to format my computer and Elephant demon and light moon was the only mods that was uploaded on another side :(

Can any one that have Three brother send it to me so i can upload it again?

Thanks and take care

I was wondering if anyone found out which script files control preset forced-combat events (in particular, the one at the beginning of Chapter 7 in the Imperial Palace - Lotus Assassins running down the stairs). There is something seriously wrong in this event script that causes a real showstopping bug - namely, that you start off in combat mode, but at a certain point the Lotus Assassins reach on the stairs, you get forced to leave combat mode and you can't kill the Lotus Assassins, blocking your game progress permanently. You can't kill them, talk to them, anything. Bioware says issues like this are supposedly timing bugs, but I call shennanigans.

I'd like to find out if we can fix that on our end to "force" you and your companion to remain in combat mode.

I've tried reloading from different save games and whatnot and I always end up stuck at this point of the game, no matter Open Palm or Closed Fist or whatever PC character I pick. Really annoying after having spent many hours playing up to this point.

The only clue I have from looking around in the Override folder are the files j08_palace.are and j08_palace.sav, which have script functions, etc called into action, but they're in a binary format so I can't see the actual data outside of the plain-text column/list header names.

Any ideas?

Is anyone aware if there's a camera-rotate mod? I really loved this game on the Xbox, but the PC port is starting to feel a bit undercut; camera rotation is one of the main things this game feels like its missing. Combat - if/when you get pushed up against a wall - just gets sloppy without being able to change the vantage point.

Please say there is one :)

Edit the .ini file to say the following:

[input Options]

Free Look=1

[Config1]

Free Look=v

Where v is any key not already bound to another game function.

Note: sometimes you WILL get "stuck" using this. Just use the block action (I believe this is the space key by default, or for best results, map it to the middle mouse button) to escape any stickyness by performing a dive roll.

Edit the .ini file to say the following:

[input Options]

Free Look=1

[Config1]

Free Look=v

Where v is any key not already bound to another game function.

Note: sometimes you WILL get "stuck" using this. Just use the block action (I believe this is the space key by default, or for best results, map it to the middle mouse button) to escape any stickyness by performing a dive roll.

Thanks for the info Jynx, unfortunately it didn't seem to work, at least not as I had expected. I use a gamepad, but I figured out where to make the edits to affect it. What I got however was instead of being able to control the camera, the camera perspective switches from third-person to first-person. Plus when you engage in combat it automatically switches back to third-person.

I'm curious if I'm still missing something, or if that's how it's supposed to behave. Either way, what I'm ideally after is the ability to move the camera around the PC *while* in third person, without affecting the PC's positioning. I'm pretty sure that was how it worked in the Xbox version. I think that's also how the camera worked in KOTOR1 and possibly KOTOR2.

Thanks again :)

I was wondering if anyone's found a way to remove the "magic" glow around some of the weapons? I'm sure it must be defined in one of the *.2da'a, but I'll be darned if I can find it anywhere.

Also, is there a tutorial anywhere for adding new styles and upgrades? I noticed while going through the *.2da's that there are a number of weapons (like crescents and butterflies(?)) which don't seem to be in the game (unless an NPC has them somewhere). It would be interesting to see what they look like.

@toastysquirrel: I'm fairly sure that the "vanity mode" camera control was removed for some reason. Strange decision IMO, but what do I know? :confused:

Edit: Forget what I said about unused weapons. The "Butterfly" model is used for "Crimson Tears", and the rings and crescents appear to have been left out of the final game (no models present).

hello all!

I'd like to present my More "lightside" Furious ming skin

he looks a bit more nicer now :)

screens:

screen0001sn6.th.jpg

screen0002rl3.th.jpg

screen0003um9.th.jpg

link to file:

link

instalation help:

just unzip all the files with winrar to your override folder and delete all the txb files with the same name, if you dont do this the new skin wont show up.

note: I dont know if you can see it but he has blue eyes

hope you enjoy it :)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

The modding thread has been inactive for a long time and it is a shame for such a great game.

I have just bought and installed Jade Empire on my pc and am looking for all the mods released so far.

Does anyone know how I could modify the 2da files so as to get the Viper martial style and the Tempest magic style at the beginning of the game?

I have tried following several instructions on the web but in vain...

Can someone please explain this to me with simple words?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found some of Caramel Boy's mods (death hand style, master li's magic style, fox transformation), and some other ones (elephant transformation style and moon light, gay romance fix).

There have been some other mods released but I couldn't find them anywhere because the links were broken. Those are:

- Leopard Fist By Caramelboy

- Boneseer's Monkey Paw Martial style mod

- Three brothers mod by "the fun side" (same author as the elephant transformation and moon light mod)

Has anyone managed to grab any of them? Has anyone created new mods?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: description of the Three Brothers mod:

Name: Three Brothers

This mod add three powerful gem. Sekan, Lespoon and Mindtwistah gem.

Author: Sekan

Special Thanks to: Mindtwistah

Sekan's Gem Information

Location: Spirit plain. This gem has the same location as the demon sword.

Effect: + 10 Body + 10 Mind + 2 Spirit

Lespoon's Gem information.

Location: Pirate workshop. You can find this gem in a cheast in the Treasure room.

Effect: + 10 mind + 5 Body + 5 spirit

Mindtwistah's Gem

Location: Teahouse if you help old mother kwan to get back her teahosue.

Effect: + 15 Spirit + 3 Body + 3 Mind

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

- Leopard Fist By Caramelboy

- Boneseer's Monkey Paw Martial style mod

- Three brothers mod by "the fun side" (same author as the elephant transformation and moon light mod)

I had There Brothers mod on my computer but it had a crash so i had to reinstall everything. The only reason that i have Elephant and moon light mod up is that they where up on filefront.

Anyone that have Three brothers could you send it to me? If you haven't figured it out I'm the fun side.

EDIT: I forgot that i and Carmelboy always was sure to make our mods compatible so i the Leopard Fist is in elephant demon but you can't get it in-game and it will have no icon. The level system may also be broke. You have to use Jade empire save game editor to get it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been poking at the .2da files trying to figure out how harmonic combos work. I can't seem to find a flag in the support style .2da that sets up the harmonic combo. I want to change what attacks trigger the combo, and/or what type of globe you get from it (change storm dragon to give a chi globe instead of a focus globe, for example)

there's a "EFFECT_HARMONICSTART" entry in effects.2da but it doesn't seem to be referenced at all in the style's .2da file

Hrm, I read this whole thread I don't know how I missed that. Anyways it helped me figure out how to trigger harmonic combos but unless I'm (again) missing something I can't seem to control what type of globe is produced by executing the combo. I tried swapping the synergystart number for one from a combo that produces the globe I want, but while it changed the killing graphic it didn't change which globe was produced.

Okay. So I'm new at this whole modding thing, so please go easy on me. ^_^

I downloaded the JSE so I could change my appearance into the Watcher. But when I select TheWatcher_m as my appearance and start the game it crashes and gives me the following message:

An Assertion failed in .\ccreatureappearance.cpp

Line number 354

Programmer says: CCreatureAppearance::CreateBodyAppearance(): Model not found N_Watchr_

It did the same thing when I tried Death's Hand or the Ravager.

Help me, please. :x

Archived