Home

Jade Empire modding (see first post for info summary)

stoffe

I downloaded the JSE so I could change my appearance into the Watcher. But when I select TheWatcher_m as my appearance and start the game it crashes and gives me the following message:

Have you checked that the model and texture are available where you try to use it? Some of the NPCs have their model and textures only added to the module where they appear, not in the global game data. In those cases you need to extract the model and texture files and place in your override folder.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not.

How would I go about doing that? Thanks for the quick help. :)

You'll have to look up the name of the model used by the appearance type in the appearance.2da file. Searching the label column in this file for TheWatcher_m reveals that it is defined on line 172. Check the modelA column to get the name of the model file used, in this case N_Watchr_.

You can use the JEFindRes utility to search for this file name to find and extract it. You should get a MDL and a MDX file (N_Watchr_.mdl and N_Watchr_.mdx). You'll also need the texture; those files have a TXB extension. Those are usually stored in the same RIM file as one of the above model files and are named similarly. Searching for *N_Watch* with JEFindRes reveals it to be n_watchr01.txb in this case.

Extract those 3 files and put them in the game's override folder to make them accessible from anywhere within the game.

I don't remember if the appearance.2da file already is located in the override folder. If not you can extract it from the game data files as well. No need to extract that file into the override folder though since you just need it to check what model names to search for. :)

Stoffe (or anyone) i tried what u said about the watcher with other things from the appearances 2da, i only did it with ppl, i got the mdx the mdl and the txb but most of the time i got either a plain black head or no head at all, am i missing a file or what?

Stoffe (or anyone) i tried what u said about the watcher with other things from the appearances 2da, i only did it with ppl, i got the mdx the mdl and the txb but most of the time i got either a plain black head or no head at all, am i missing a file or what?

Presumably the head texture is missing. See if you have a file named h_watchr01.txb in your override folder. If not, extract it from the game data (with JEFindRes or the like) and place it in your override folder.

yeh i found the H_ files the completely missing heads neaded th mdl as well, does anyone know if u can change your appearance to that of student wen (the guy with the headband at the starting school) the only student appearnce i can find is the one thats the same as Si Pat, i couldnt find Wens H_ file and i tried to test with gaos head and i cudnt get it to work

I wonder mainly because he is one of those characters with a shared body but multiple heads (eg him, woo and gao)

• 3 weeks later...
To introduce (and elicit testing of) my Big Gay Romance Fix.

Thanks for your mod, I am currently trying it and noticed it doesn't seem to have removed the Male/Female check in regards to Dawn Star with a Female PC. Is this correct?

After the fight on the beach with the Pirate Ship, you should be able to flirt with her, as a Female if the Check was removed, correct?

Thanks for any tips. :)

Anyone know what it would take to remove the Male/Female checks for Dawn Star, file name and could this be accomplished with a text editor?
You need to modify the gender checks from a couple of scripts: j04_a_ds_romfem.ncs, j04_a_sf_dspcfem.ncs and j04_c_rom_dstar.ncs. These are the scripts I have used:

// j04_a_ds_romfem.nss
// Disabled Dawnstar romance for female players.

int GetDSRomanceActive() {
return(GetGlobalBoolean("J00_DAWNSTAR_ROMANCE"));
}

void SetDSRomance(int nStatus) {
SetGlobalBoolean("J00_DAWNSTAR_ROMANCE", nStatus);
}

void SetDSEvil(int nStatus) {
SetGlobalBoolean("J00_DAWNSTAR_EVIL", nStatus);
}

void SetDSEvilPath(int nStatus) {
SetGlobalBoolean("J00_DAWNSTAR_EVILPATH", nStatus);
}

void main() {
object oPlayer = GetPlayer();
int iGender = GetGender(oPlayer);

// TA: keep romance active.
/*
if(iGender == GENDER_FEMALE && GetDSRomanceActive() == TRUE) {
	SetDSRomance(FALSE);
	SetDSEvil(FALSE);
	SetDSEvilPath(FALSE);
}
*/
}

// j04_a_sf_dspcfem.nss
// Disabled Dawnstar romance for female players.

}

void SetDSRomance(int nStatus) {
SetGlobalBoolean("J00_DAWNSTAR_ROMANCE", nStatus);
}

void SetDSEvil(int nStatus) {
SetGlobalBoolean("J00_DAWNSTAR_EVIL", nStatus);
}

void SetDSEvilPath(int nStatus) {
SetGlobalBoolean("J00_DAWNSTAR_EVILPATH", nStatus);
}

void main() {

// TA: don't disable romance.
/*
if(GetGender(oPlayer) == GENDER_FEMALE) {
	SetDSRomance(FALSE);
	SetDSEvil(FALSE);
	SetDSEvilPath(FALSE);
}
*/
}

// j04_c_rom_dstar.nss
// Checks if Dawnstar romance is active.

}

int StartingConditional() {

// TA: allow for any gender.
if(GetDSRomanceActive()) {
	return TRUE;
} else {
	return FALSE;
}

/* 
// Original lines.
int iGender = GetGender(oPlayer);

if(GetDSRomanceActive() == TRUE && iGender == GENDER_MALE) {
	return TRUE;
}
return FALSE;
return TRUE;
*/
}

Jade Empire Savegame Editor v0.6 released

Wanted to report a bug at least it seems like it to me. When I try to add some gems, specificly the Greater Monk & Scholar Gems of Fate, they appear in the game.

However when I add them to the amulet they don't seem to work, i.e. they are -5 each of their respective stats to give you more power ups. At this point I have a Warrior gem of Fate I received in game, which does work by subtracting -5.

Secondly once I remove the each of the gems I added to the necklace they disappear from inventory, since there stats don't work and they disappear from inventory once removed from the amulet, made it seem like a bug.

Thanks for you work on this tk102. :)

You need to modify the gender checks from a couple of scripts: j04_a_ds_romfem.ncs, j04_a_sf_dspcfem.ncs, j04_c_ds_femstor and j04_c_rom_dstar.ncs. These are the scripts I have used:

Wow, this looks Amazing Tupac Amaru, thanks. :)

Apologizes, this is probably a dumb question but could I copy these to a text file then name them respectively? Or would I need to get a extractor tool to retrieve each file, then use some type of complier/decompiler?

Apologizes, this is probably a dumb question but could I copy these to a text file then name them respectively? Or would I need to get a extractor tool to retrieve each file, then use some type of complier/decompiler?
This is just the source code. You need to save them as .nss files and compile them with the NWN script compiler. If you aren't familiar with scripts I have uploaded the compiled scripts here. Put the .ncs files and optionally the .dlg into the game's override. The .dlg just removes the quick fade out during the kiss scene.

Tupac Amaru, ROCKS! :cheers: :standing ovation:

I haven't complied before but am interested in learning. The amount of things to learn is sort of overwhelming and it's hard to know where to start. This seems like a good place to start.

Thanks. :)

The Last Ninja I tried looking on the first post at the list of mods to try to download it as a test but don't see a link.

Does anyone know if it's possible to unlock the number of Henchmen you can have at one time? As in NWN2 and MotB for example if you wanted to hear a fuller version of the dialog you could add all of the companions at once. I wasn't sure if this was a common trait between all games made with this engine.

Secondly did anyone else remember getting very extreme darkening of the PCs face (Scholar Ling was the one I really noticed it on) during in game cutscenes?

At initial release it was very prominent for me and drove me to distraction with all the cutscenes. Add in the bizarre and annoying tradition at Bioware tradition of NOT allowing anyone to set Control Functions for Mouse keys ( Aurora issue?) . Along with all the fun consoleitis functionality caused my head to explode. :explode:

Yet now after playing the game several months later, I am not suffering from any notable PC face darkening. Since there hasn't been patch I am guessing this could have been some rare driver issue with ATI. :confused:

I have a question, do you know Death Hand's sword and dagger?(yes)well, there is a mod to have that style, but, is possible to change the sword and dagger of the style?

for all that don't know what I mean I'll give you an example:

Combine Dragon Sword with Death Hand's dagger (in white)

Is there anyway to unlock the Horizontal Camera lock?

HK-52 there are so few mods for JE and I don't remember seeing one which textured Death's Hand swords. Actually besides the 3 mods Stoffe has listed on the first page (there are less than 5 additional in this thread iirc) the one your referring to (which adds a few styles, increases leveling speed and removes Fog of War) are the only ones I have seen.

Hi all,

I have a small dream and that is to remove or at least change one of the NPC characters in the game.

I bought this for the xbox when it first came out and loved it apart from one single thing... the little girl possessed by two demons really really freaked me out.

I know that you can "save her" at the end of the game, but that really did not work for me. I know that it may sound kind of weird but I really didnt like it. Its like the black spot on the page that no matter which way I look will not go away.

Then I came upon this thread, I went out and bought the pc game today, it maybe premature as I am still not sure if its possible yet still after looking here it may be possible to change the character to something else at least.

I have never modded anything, but would really been keen to try it out to play this game again.

So the question:

What can I do with the demon possesed girl character...

Can I remove her altogether ( as I never play with her it will not matter )?

Can I delete the model she uses so that nothing shows up with out causing game problems?

Can I change the model to something else other than the little girl?

Can I skip that scene altogher where she joins the team and still get all the awards in the area?

I have no idea what is/or is not possible maybe there are options I do not even know about, but now you may have an idea of my goals please can someone here help a total newbie to fix this thing.

Yours hopefully

Ulic from Ireland

HK-52 the only ones I know of are in this thread, in the first post and then I seem to recall a couple in the thread. As an example one redoing the clothing of the Monk and another one with less tattoos on another male. There is one mod with about 5 built-in mods like removing Fog of War, adding Death's Hand Style and more. It's called je_pappagamer_mods or you could just try to go to pappagamer website and search for Jade Empire. If you can't find it or it's no longer available I have it and could post it to File Front.

I am not a modder as currently I can only edit text type files, so I can't answer those. :)

ulic3190 I don't think you can remove her all together or any of your other ideas, except maybe replacing her model with an adult female, though you would have to re-record her voice if that bothered you also, as it would be the same. I guess it could be a male but with a female voice, now that would be kind of demonish. :D

I have a bug to add to the Jade Empire Savegame Editor

When I add gems to my game with Jade Empire Savegame Editor v0.6 they don't work. I have tried added them directly to the amulet and in to the inventory and different saves but it won't work. I have my own mod Three brothers installed that changes gems.2da if that would help.

Could you fix this Tk102?

Archived