Home

Jade Empire modding (see first post for info summary)

stoffe

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can someone point me in the right direction?

I want to know how to change the powerup orb that drops at the end of a harmonic combo. I thought it would be in the support style 2da, but it doesn't seem to be there. For the life of me, I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe this post from stoffe will help, though I didn't see explicit listing of where the drop from completing the harmonic combo is determined.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2317643#post2317643

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an editor that changes story booleans like KSE does for KOTOR? I seem to have stuffed up my romance plot and I don't want to start over.

I was playing a female character intending to romance SilkFox, but when I went to the Death's Head base thing, only Sky was there to talk to me. I told him to go away, and so there was no romance dialogue at all during the palace fight from either Sky or Silk Fox. I don't want to play a huge chunk of the game all over again (even though it seems I may be forced to), so is there any way to edit my save to fix that?

EDIT: Also, since someone was talking about gender checks earlier in the page, is there a way to easily change the player's gender in order to view both variations of particular romance dialogues? I'm not particularly interested in replaying the entire game with a different gendered character just to see those scenes. In KOTOR it was a simple matter of hitting a gender button on KSE and changing a boolean flag, but JSE doesn't have those options--so I'll have to edit the .sacs directly, right?

I have the SAC unpacker and the K-GFF editor to edit the savs, but I can't make any sense of what's in them. :p

Hey all! I'm needing some help with the romance aspect of JE:SE, and while the topic of homosexual romances are covered to a good degree here, my problem is with the hetero side of things. I'm a male character in chapter three of the game and have completed both quests to get into the lotus assassins hideout, and when I approach it, I only trigger Dawn Star's romance scene. I have done my darndest to romance Silk Fox, but she doesn't show up. I've spoken to her at the end of every quest event in Imperial City, and I know I haven't missed anything; the only thing I can think of is that I accidentally chose a dialog option that closed the romance.

Is there any way to get into the game files to mod the romance for Silk Fox? I have only minimal experience with modding, and that is entirely within NWN2 ussing gff editors as well as a bit of tweaking of the global 2da. If anyone here can help guide me through what needs to be done to fix the issue, if it's possible, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@ stoffe

Hope you are still hanging around here, because if you are not, I'll be in a bad way. Is there any way you could post a dummies tutorial for re-skinning characters, or maybe a link to such a tutorial? My son would like to change Lu The Prodigy's look, but I have no clue how to do it.:(

• 1 month later...

Although this thread seems to be pretty quiet these days, I figured I might as well share a couple of reskins I did of Radiant Jen Zi and Scholar Ling recently. They were made for my personal use but maybe someone will find them useful too.

I generally prefer more natural looking characters (makeup-wise and such), so I basically de-blushed Jen Zi's face, slightly thickened the eybrows and completely re-did the lips. Also her eyes are a dark blue. I think she looks cute. :D (I only reskinned her face, the outfit in the pic is stoffe's from earlier in the thread.)

For Ling I gave neater eyebrows (to get rid of the unibrow effect), lightened the skin a little and generally tried to reduce the puffy look. And re-did the lips. Her eyes are also dark blue, her hair less blue and more black and I added some decorative hair barrettes, and her outfit is a bit darker and less saturated (I just used the p_ling01v textures that were in the game).

That should be most of it. As a bonus there's an reskin of Sky's face as well, with less of a widow's peak and some other subtle edits. I haven't yet tackled any other characters but I probably will if something bugs me. :D

Download here if so inclined. Unrar all but the preview jpgs to your overrides folder (and remove any .txb files with the same name).

jenzireskin1hw9.th.jpg lingreskinah3.th.jpg lingreskinbackkm4.th.jpg lingreskin3hu1.th.jpg skyreskinsx6.th.jpg

crayonsun, that looks so much better! I admit that Jen Zi's blush didn't really bother me (hey, she prances around beating people up, it's only to be expected that she'll got red in the face :xp: ), but I always thought that her lips were fugly. Will this change the colour of her clothing as well? I'll never use Ling (due to her improbable bosom). but she looks almost normal now :p I'll have to see Sky ingame, but anyway, thank you very much for this!

No problem :) Jen Zi's clothes won't be affected, it's just her face I reskinned. And it was actually only her lips I originally wanted to redo, but I couldn't not do something about the blush too when I saw it on the texture file... there was just so much of it. :D

It bugs me that I can't get black to actually look black (on the skin anyway) in game even if does on the texture. It just ends up looking dirty brownish.

I am having a few problems with models and styles...

I first created a new character by adding another line in players.2da and in appearance.2da and everything went fine. The character consists of the N_FMA_ body (female martial arts student) and the H_ComF01_ head (Fuyao). Now I want to retexture the body, but only for my PC. So I thought of renaming all N_FMA_ files in the override folder to P_CHI_, but when I do that, my game crashes. I am quite sure I changed the name wherever neccessary: filenames, 2DAs, even strings inside the MDL and MDX files. Is there anything I missed?

Also, I am currently creating a new style. This style will be very different from the standard styles, and I consider it to be the ultimate style, albeit not neccessarily the strongest one. However, I am lacking some animations, since I only seem to be able to use animations of one style MDL. I thought of merging two MDLs, but I cant even put them into the override folder! Whenever I try that, all animations just seem to vanish, as if the MDL in the override folder was empty. I unpacked the MDL and #3016 with ERFEdit and renamed the #3016 to MDX, so everything should work, but it doesn't. I noticed that the #3016 file is an empty one (0 KB), but I don't know if this is correct or an ERFEdit bug.

Could anyone who has experience with style or character modding help me?

Edit: All right, I managed to use different style MDLs in the override folder by changing the stylename strings inside the MDL with a hex editor instead of notepad. My attempt to replace an animation with the same animation from another style failed, though. On that occasion I noticed that Leaping Tiger has the animations m1, m1b and m1c, but not m2, m2b or m2c, and Thousand Cuts has m2, m2b and m2c but not m1, m1b or m1c.

So: is there a way to add or change animations within a style? Has this maybe even been done before?

Also, by using a hex editor, I was able to rename the N_FMA_ body and use the duplicated body ingame. This body however does not have any textures, no matter whether I use renamed TXB files or extracted TGAs. What am I doing wrong here?

Edit2: Whenever I delete a head TXB file, the head gets black, although I have proper TGA and TXI files placed in the override folder. Why is that?

Hello, long time lurker here.

I recently reinstalled the game to do a little, really basic modding, and well...

Could someone help me test this little file I experimented with? Just drop it into the Override folder and start a new game.

It should replace Guji's lines to offer you Tien's Justice instead of Golden Star, and give you that weapon if you choose to (it should show the correct model, weapon name & description).

I know I managed to get it to work in my installation of the game, but I would like someone else to try it and tell me if it works, or if it doesn't I should see which other modified files I forgot to add.The best result would be to test it to the point you can no longer exchange your weapons with Gujin.

Click Here

Hope it works, I have been looking for a Tien's Justice mod closer to the Xbox version of the game that restores the Limited Edition content. I know there are some Tien's Justice modifications around (the one from papagamer and another one) which replace the weapon but not the dialogue & description, IIRC.

Oh, and if anyone wants it, I made an audio file containing the full Xbox credits bonus dialogues.

Click here.

Well, I hope I didn't embarres myself too much.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I hope someone in this forum may be able to help me:

As my post above, I am trying to restore Tien's Justice to the game, but it has been a little complicated.

I explored some of the scripts a little, with help, trying to understand the preorder ncs script to see if there is a way to activate the condition for the game to believe it is a limited edition xbox. But I think that is a little way over my head.

I think I don't have much choice but to continue with my current method:

For now I managed to activate the weapon ingame by inverting the conditions in j01_blacksm_01.dlg, which is kind of cheating, but it works. This restores the weapon model, the name & the description, and changes all the dialogue from the Weaponmaster concerning it.

The only thing missing to be complete, the problem part, is the icon, which remains as the old Golden Star.

Checking the Prima Guide I saw that Tien has its own icon, and I managed to find the files(i_spade.txb & i_spadeh.txb, no dh or d versions like for all the other styles) and they are in Xbox quality (from what I gather, all the icons were redone in higher quality for the pc version, which is why you can find these better versions in the override folder).

Modifying stylesuperlist.2da & items.2da I can change the icon (one for the style icon itself, the other for when getting it as a reward) , but the thing that bothers me is if there is a way to just change the icon for Tien's Justice only, and not for Flawless & Demon Staff? So when you buy or find these upgrades, it goes back to the normal, old Golden Star icon?

If not, I will just adjust the entries so if you buy Flawless or get Demon Staff with this mod applied the icon will be always Tien's Justice one.

(Of course, I have zero idea if that was the situation wit the Xbox limited edition, so I could be trying to do something the engine isn't capable of, and the icons are just exchanged in the Xbox Limited Edition).

But then I run into a problem when I tried buying Flawless in either of 2 locations. The seller's inventory seems to keep the old icon (i_staff) while I get the spade one in the reward popup & styles screen (is there another 2da file that handles shop stocks/icons??) I think I will retest all of it tomorrow as I probably made a mistake along the way but I am confused...

In the worst case, I will just rename the i_spade files as i_staff and be done with it.

So anyone can shed some light in any of this? Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:

Well, concerning the icon, I found a screenshot and video in IGN showcasing the limited edition, and the icon for Tien's Justice is the same as Golden Star, so there is no new icon, it seems. So I think I am done with Tien's, I hope.

http://xbox.ign.com/dor/objects/740561/jade-empire-limited-edition/images/jade-empire-20050413071850981.html

http://xbox.ign.com/dor/objects/740561/jade-empire-limited-edition/videos/monkzeng.html?download=true

Oh, and thanks for Tupac Amaru for the scripts help, I compiled an alternate version of the preorder script yesterday and it worked. The new version had the same exact effects as the changes I made to the j01_blacksm_01.dlg file.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I doubt anyone remembers me, but I tinkered around with modding Kotor I and II a while back. I got the basics pretty well down, and now I've discovered Jade Empire and seeing how similar it is to KotOR, I've taken up modding JE a bit.

I've run into a bit of a problem though... it's been over a year since I last messed with script compiling, and I've forgotten much of it honestly. This is the correct (KotOR version) nwnnsscomp right? After applying Maian's work-around (the registry modification), I'm still getting an error related to not finding an NWN installation. Simply placing JE's nwscript.nss in the same directory as nwnnsscomp doesn't seem to help either, I still get this error:

"Lookup path set to: C:/NeverwinterNights/Nwn/

Error: Couldn't initialize the NwnStdLoader"

What would be the correct usage? Simply "nwnnsscomp -c <scriptname>.nss" should work, right? I seem to remember there being a variable to use an nwscript.nss in the same directory, but I don't recall it... It is the nwscript.nss from JE's override, not extracted from any resource file, correct?

I've run into a bit of a problem though... it's been over a year since I last messed with script compiling, and I've forgotten much of it honestly. This is the correct (KotOR version) nwnnsscomp right? After applying Maian's work-around (the registry modification), I'm still getting an error related to not finding an NWN installation.

What would be the correct usage? Simply "nwnnsscomp -c <scriptname>.nss" should work, right? I seem to remember there being a variable to use an nwscript.nss in the same directory, but I don't recall it... It is the nwscript.nss from JE's override, not extracted from any resource file, correct?

You could try the version of nwnnsscomp.exe that's attached to this post; it's the one I am using (or was using, rather, back when I was modding Jade Empire :)). It should be stand-alone and not be looking in the Registry for any NWN or KOTOR info. It will use the nwscript.nss file located in the same folder as the EXE, and will look for include files in the same folder as the script that includes them. It can be run as:

nwnnsscomp.exe -c filename.nss

...or...

nwnnsscomp.exe -c filename.nss -o filename.ncs

nwnnsscomp.zip

You could try the version of nwnnsscomp.exe that's attached to this post; it's the one I am using (or was using, rather, back when I was modding Jade Empire :)). It should be stand-alone and not be looking in the Registry for any NWN or KOTOR info. It will use the nwscript.nss file located in the same folder as the EXE, and will look for include files in the same folder as the script that includes them. It can be run as:

nwnnsscomp.exe -c filename.nss

...or...

nwnnsscomp.exe -c filename.nss -o filename.ncs

Thank you once again Stoffe! This version of nwnnsscomp does indeed look in the same directory for an nwscript.nss. But... now upon compiling, I'm showing two syntax errors in nwscript.nss (from Jade Empire/Override, I don't see one in the root Jade Empire directory with the exe).

nwscript.nss<7104>: Error: Function parameter without a default value can't follow one with a defalt value.
nwscript.nss<7318>: Error: Syntax error at ";"
Error compiling nwscript.nss

I assume the above numbers are line numbers? I think I can fix the second error, but the first is beyond me.

This is a copy of JE purchased from Steam if it makes any difference.

Edit: I found a missing parentheses at 7318, so that error is gone... Would it be helpful if I posted line 7104 from nwscript?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

nwscript.nss<7104>: Error: Function parameter without a default value can't follow one with a defalt value.
nwscript.nss<7318>: Error: Syntax error at ";"
Error compiling nwscript.nss

I assume the above numbers are line numbers? I think I can fix the second error, but the first is beyond me.

Edit: I found a missing parentheses at 7318, so that error is gone... Would it be helpful if I posted line 7104 from nwscript?

Oops, must have completely overlooked this post. :) You've probably figured it out by now already, but for anyone else having the same problem, change:

int SetInitialCombatCameraAngle(object oObject=OBJECT_SELF, float fCameraAngle);

...to...

int SetInitialCombatCameraAngle(object oObject=OBJECT_SELF, float fCameraAngle=0.0);

Archived