Home

Jade Empire modding (see first post for info summary)

stoffe

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, right.

Thanks jmac7142.

Here's the megaupload link for my martial style mod:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CR557ZUA

I noticed that there were a couple of slots in the stylesuperlist.2da that had iconrefs, but no real style information otherwise, so I used one of these lines to plug in the style info and made a few 2da's, did some tweaking here and there, and now we have the newly re-introduced Willow style.

Like I said in my previous post, the download is VERY large, almost a full 7 kb. :)

Oh, there are instructions in the package that even the biggest noob to modding should be able to muddle through. If you have a modded stylesuperlist.2da already, there are instructions involving two or three mouse clicks to incorporate my mod in with the others you have already. I also included some text for the description of the style to see ingame, but you'll need a dialog.tlk editor like TalkEd or otherwise to plug it in to the placeholder text in the vanilla file. If you don't use the textfile, it's no big deal, you'll just see

***Temp description Willow style

or something similar that the game designers had left in the dialog.tlk file and never got around to changing.

Have fun!

Okay, maybe you didn't like the Willow style I made, or you did, and wonder what else I can cook up.

Here, have another martial style (7kb):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9ZZ6085U

If you try it out, don't be surprised when your character starts whipping out this long chain of 7 attacks with only three mouse clicks... it's called "seven thunders" for a reason.

I used entry 26 on the stylesuperlist.2da which had an iconref but nothing else, plugged in some stuff, made some 2da's, and the rest is history. The stylesuperlist with this download package has built-in support for my other style (Willow), so you can just copy it over and replace.

As before, if you have a modded stylesuperlist already with other mods besides mine, just use line 26 from this download and paste it into your unused line 26, and maybe make sure that you change the "starting style" entry for some of the vanilla styles like "leaping tiger" and "thousand cuts" to zeroes instead of ones, because this mod is pretty far down the list, and if you leave the entries as they are there won't be enough room in the character creation screen for 7 thunders to show up at the bottom. (Only 4 martial styles can be chosen from in character creation, and the 2da takes the first four that it sees with a '1' in the "starting style" column)

Have fun!

Hi all,

Since one of my New Year's resolutions was to post more stuff to the internet, I thought I'd ring in 2009 with some more custom goodies for Jade Empire.

I've already posted two new martial styles, and since the second one was the wrong upload (sorry, my bad -- I gave you all a first draft instead of the finished product), I feel that it is only fair for me to try to make amends.

Here ya go (13.3 kb):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FS9ERHYL

This is my first two styles, further tweaked and perfected, as well as two more. Might as well custom out all four available starting styles, right?

A brief description of the styles:

Willow -- Whipping strikes, moderate speed, leaping power attack that covers a lot of ground, making it easier to complete harmonic combos. Moderate damage.

Seven Thunders -- Long chain of mixed attacks, moderate speed, moderate to high damage. Can cause brief "slowing" in opponents who are struck by the last of the attack chain. Weak and slow power attack.

Divine Void -- Spinning style exclusively uses circular kicks. Fast speed, moderate damage. Good for eliminating more than one opponent at once, especially if targets are switched back and forth during the attack chain. Powerful power attack that send opponents flying.

Black Mantis -- Fast, moderately low damage, but the last attack in the chain can cause brief confusion effects. Very powerful power attack with little to no range. (You pretty much have to be standing right next to your opponent)

I hope that this post will make up for my faux pas earlier in the thread.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure that Jade Empire gets much love these days, but here's a new mod for it that I've whipped up. This replaces Dawn Star's default model with Wu the Lotus Blossom. Dawn Star obviously doesn't mind flashing a bit of leg (as the Black Whirlwind is quick to spot), but you don't get to see much of that in the cutscenes, so I figured why not spice it up a bit more.

Readme:

Jade Empire: Special Edition

WU THE LOTUS BLOSSOM AS DAWN STAR
=================================

AUTHOR:
DarthParametric

ABOUT:
This mod replaces Dawn Star's default model and portraits with those for Wu the Lotus
Blossom, normally a female PC character. The portraits are custom ones derived from Wu
wallpaper images made by Bioware.

INSTALLATION:
Copy the CRE and TGA files in the archive's Override folder to the Override folder in your
JE installation directory. You must also delete the following TXB files in your JE Override
folder:

ui_ph_dawn.txb
ui_ph_dawnd.txb
ui_ph_dawne.txb
ui_ph_dawng.txb
ui_ph_dawnq.txb

These are Dawn Star's default portraits. If you don't delete these, they will supersede the
replacement TGAs and you won't get the custom Wu portraits. 

UNINSTALLATION:
Delete the CRE and TGA files from the JE Override folder. Copy the backup TXB files in the
ORIGINAL PORTRAITS folder to your JE Override directory.

KNOWN ISSUES:
While there doesn't seem to be any major issues, there is occasionally some minor clipping of
the mouth box through the left cheek during some lip sync animations. She also seems to have a
tendency to be extremely wide-eyed in a lot of the cutscenes. Perhaps she is just surprised at
her hot new body.  Obviously, the pre-rendered cutscenes will still use the original Dawn Star
model.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:
Thanks to stoffe and tk102 for providing the tools that allow mods like this to be made.

You can contact me via the SWKnights forums - http://www.lucasforums.com/member.php?u=108447

PERMISSIONS:
This mod may not be altered or distributed on other sites without the express permission of
the author.

DISCLAIMER:
This modification is provided as-is and is not supported or sanctioned by Bioware, Gray Matter,
or 2K. Use of this file is at your own risk. Neither the aforementioned companies or the author/s
are responsible for any damage that may be caused to your computer by the usage of this file.

As noted, there is occasionally some minor clipping of the mouth box through the left cheek with some lip sync animations. I guess this is because the model was never meant to be animated for speech, being a PC character. It's not too bad though. She does seem to be a little bug-eyed at times too. I've never played as a female PC, but I suspect that this is also an artefact of the model using animations it was never meant to.

I haven't finished a full playthrough using the mod yet, but as far as I can see there's just the two CRE files that need replacing (the normal party one and one for the swamp cave cutscene). If anyone uses this mod and spots the original Dawn Star model pop up (aside from in the pre-rendered cutscenes of course) then send me a PM (and preferably a save file as well).

Edit: Discovered that I had missed a couple of CRE files from the Dirge level. Updated the mod to v2 to fix that.

th_Wu_As_Dawn_Star_01.jpg th_Wu_As_Dawn_Star_02.jpg th_Wu_As_Dawn_Star_03.jpg

th_Wu_As_Dawn_Star_04.jpg th_Wu_As_Dawn_Star_05.jpg th_Wu_As_Dawn_Star_06.jpg

DOWNLOAD: http://dpmods.wheb.org/je_wu_as_dawn_star.html

Hi everyone, I'm working on a GUI mod to remove some of the floating features, and I had a question I hope someone can help with.

I'm trying to remove the GUI portion that shows how much silver you get after a fight. It usually pops up to the right of the silver graphic. I've already removed the silver graphic from the screen, but the numbers keep showing up. Any thoughts?

I've tried changing the silver data in the floaty.2da file, but that doesn't seem to work. I was able to change the xp portion by changing the data in that file, so I know that file has some importance, but not sure. I've tried changing .gui and .tlk files as well.

Any help is appreciated. If you would like the basic GUI Mod I've completed so far, email me at fort.knight@yahoo.com

• 4 weeks later...
could some one put a link for the savegame editor or at least tell me what page it's on?
http://mods.starwarsknights.com/tk102/

iirc tk just patched kse to work with je because he was busy getting baked with me and sithy that year so there aren't many safeguards to keep you from adding a cut style or whatever that will screw up your game a bit. and i still haven't quite figured out what the inventory/weapons thing does and how weapon styles work.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it made before by boneseer. Bu I can't find the link to download it, so in my desperation to search it, I recreate it myself.

Feature :

- monkey paw as optional starting martial style.

- description

- harmonic combo

- virtual effect at hand when performing this style 's removed. Make it more natural and differs from the fat sung (one 3 brothers at arena 's style).

http://www.noeman.org/gsm/video-games-general-talk/80978-monkey-claw-style-jade-empire-se-pc.html

Hi all,

Since one of my New Year's resolutions was to post more stuff to the internet, I thought I'd ring in 2009 with some more custom goodies for Jade Empire.

I've already posted two new martial styles, and since the second one was the wrong upload (sorry, my bad -- I gave you all a first draft instead of the finished product), I feel that it is only fair for me to try to make amends.

Here ya go (13.3 kb):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FS9ERHYL

This is my first two styles, further tweaked and perfected, as well as two more. Might as well custom out all four available starting styles, right?

A brief description of the styles:

Willow -- Whipping strikes, moderate speed, leaping power attack that covers a lot of ground, making it easier to complete harmonic combos. Moderate damage.

Seven Thunders -- Long chain of mixed attacks, moderate speed, moderate to high damage. Can cause brief "slowing" in opponents who are struck by the last of the attack chain. Weak and slow power attack.

Divine Void -- Spinning style exclusively uses circular kicks. Fast speed, moderate damage. Good for eliminating more than one opponent at once, especially if targets are switched back and forth during the attack chain. Powerful power attack that send opponents flying.

Black Mantis -- Fast, moderately low damage, but the last attack in the chain can cause brief confusion effects. Very powerful power attack with little to no range. (You pretty much have to be standing right next to your opponent)

I hope that this post will make up for my faux pas earlier in the thread.

Have fun!

Wow, great discovery of ingame already styles. Never knows why bioware keep them as npc only style. I'm downloading your mod, lothario. Not yet try them because I'm downloading from office. Can't wait to try them :).

I 'd found the blackmantis already from reading it's icon name in original styleuperlist.2da, but I can't find the blackmantislv.2da, blackmantiscs.2da and blackmantisas.2da, so I guess you make them by your self. Great work!!!

I can do something with the white box problem, I did fix the problem with monkey paw already I post above. Can I do it and post it here? all credit of the styles still for you of course... :)

You could try the version of nwnnsscomp.exe that's attached to this post; it's the one I am using (or was using, rather, back when I was modding Jade Empire :)). It should be stand-alone and not be looking in the Registry for any NWN or KOTOR info. It will use the nwscript.nss file located in the same folder as the EXE, and will look for include files in the same folder as the script that includes them. It can be run as:

nwnnsscomp.exe -c filename.nss

...or...

nwnnsscomp.exe -c filename.nss -o filename.ncs

So, I'm using the version of nwnnsscomp included in the post I quoted and I seem to have run into a wall. In an effort to turn my character into an Avatar (as in, Avatar the Last Airbender), I'm trying to recompile j00_lti_rhino.nss so I can get two of the four associated magic styles after that tutorial fight. I'm using the second set of parameters quoted above in a batch file, but nwnnsscomp crashes every time I try to compile the script. Any ideas? I should probably note that I've applied the fixes to nwscript.nss on lines 7104 and 7318.

In an effort to turn my character into an Avatar (as in, Avatar the Last Airbender), I'm trying to recompile j00_lti_rhino.nss so I can get two of the four associated magic styles after that tutorial fight. I'm using the second set of parameters quoted above in a batch file, but nwnnsscomp crashes every time I try to compile the script. Any ideas?

Have you extracted all the required include files that are used by the script into the same folder you have the j00_lti_rhino.nss script? (j00_i_util, j00_i_plot, j00_i_debug, j00_i_styles, j00_i_build, j00_i_reward_al)

How does the commandline you are running look? I tried recompiling that script manually with no problems, but I just did it directly on the command prompt with no batch files or changed paths, and it worked fine then.

Actually, the funny thing about that is I didn't include any of the #include scripts when I first tried compiling and, instead of crashing, the program merely complained that the scripts weren't there.

I tried the manual method and it still crashed.

I'm trying nwnnsscomp.exe -c j00_lti_rhino.nss -o j00_lti_rhino.ncs. I've also tried it w/o the output.

Maybe I should also note that, by crash, I mean that bothersome Windows pop-up error message that asks you if you want to send the report or not comes up during the compile phase.

I'm trying nwnnsscomp.exe -c j00_lti_rhino.nss -o j00_lti_rhino.ncs. I've also tried it w/o the output.

Maybe I should also note that, by crash, I mean that bothersome Windows pop-up error message that asks you if you want to send the report or not comes up during the compile phase.

That's weird, I just tried that and it compiled without any problems. :confused:

Is this the only script you're having problems with, or does it crash when trying to compile any script? If you've changed the script, does it crash if you try to compile the original unaltered one too?

If so the only thing I could think of would be that your nwnnsscomp.exe has gotten corrupted somehow (try downloading a new copy and see if it makes any difference).

That, or there is some other incompatibility. I'm running Windows XP and running the application as administrator, don't know if that makes any difference.

I was using these include files and nwscript.nss when I compiled:

jadescript.zip

The funny thing is, I also tried compiling the script directly in the override folder (w/ the fixed nwscript) and it didn't work then, but with the scripts you attached, it worked. Maybe there's a bad line or two in one of the scripts I was using to make the compile.

I was using the scripts provided in the Steam version of the game when I attempted the failed compiles.

Question: Does anyone know where the merchant (store) files are?

I'm looking specifically for Smiling Mountains one from the very beginning of the game.

Edit: NVM, teaches me to do modding exploration whilst being dead tired... read stoffe's OP now off to look for the file. ;)

Edit2: No go nothing seems to be contained in the STO files... still have no idea how to add items to the in-game stores.

Wow, great discovery of ingame already styles. Never knows why bioware keep them as npc only style. I'm downloading your mod, lothario. Not yet try them because I'm downloading from office. Can't wait to try them :).

I 'd found the blackmantis already from reading it's icon name in original styleuperlist.2da, but I can't find the blackmantislv.2da, blackmantiscs.2da and blackmantisas.2da, so I guess you make them by your self. Great work!!!

Thanks, buddy! The only thing the developers left in the game regarding my custom martial styles were "placeholders" in the dialog.tlk file and a few 2da's. Basically, they had planned on doing something with them, but just didn't get around to it. I simply took graphics from other existing styles and glued movement sequences together to fill in the missing parts.

There are "hidden" movements in the Heavenly Wave style that are never seen ingame, for example. I "liberated" them and used them in the Black Mantis style. The custom Willow style uses movements from Death's Hand style... I just took the two swords away, switched some stuff around, tweaked the damage... and presto! You can tell which styles I borrowed from with the four custom styles by the power attacks, as they are recognizable from the originals. :)

I can do something with the white box problem, I did fix the problem with monkey paw already I post above. Can I do it and post it here? all credit of the styles still for you of course... :)

As I mention in the download packages, anyone can do anything they want to my downloads, so if you feel like adding some stuff, go right ahead! :)

-Loth

Hi Lothario,

I tried your styles last night. Great movements and balance.. Inspired by your 2da, i tuned down the monkey paw's damage to 1/3 of it's original damage. I'm afraid it will make sung brother or other npc use the style become weaker, so i add lines to styledata.2da to accomodate the customised damage.

I'd extracted the icons for your styles too and made them showed perfectly on selecting starting style screen. I'll post them soon. :)

Loth, i want to ask you.. When i read *as.2da, i found hdamage, cdamage, fdamage, ddamage and edamage columns. I know hdamage is health damage, i assume cdamage is chi damage and fdamage is focus damage. Am i correct? Then what are ddamage and edamage? Can you help me please?

Thanks,

Dunde

Loth, i want to ask you.. When i read *as.2da, i found hdamage, cdamage, fdamage, ddamage and edamage columns. I know hdamage is health damage, i assume cdamage is chi damage and fdamage is focus damage. Am i correct? Then what are ddamage and edamage? Can you help me please?

Good question. As far as I found out, they have no effect. cdamage and fdamage are pretty much for the npc's to mess up the pc, and since the custom styles aren't used by the bad guys, the only way to bring these stats into play is for us to tweak the "normal" styles like gimp, legendary strike, or the npc ghost and demon styles, for example. I never got around to testing cdamage and fdamage out to see if they are actually implemented or not... so they might have no effect as well.

One idea I had was to make a special style like spirit thief that healed focus rather than chi, but then I realized how catastrophically bad that would be to game balance. It's bad enough that you can tear through folks with storm dragon or hidden fist and do harmonic combos! :)

Good question. As far as I found out, they have no effect. cdamage and fdamage are pretty much for the npc's to mess up the pc, and since the custom styles aren't used by the bad guys, the only way to bring these stats into play is for us to tweak the "normal" styles like gimp, legendary strike, or the npc ghost and demon styles, for example. I never got around to testing cdamage and fdamage out to see if they are actually implemented or not... so they might have no effect as well.

I just do test. I set the monkey paw to do 5 cdamage each hit, and set it to show target's chi, by set it's showoponentchi columns in stylesuperlist.2da, and yes it work.. Cdamage is really do chi damage to the target. I have no interest to test fdamage, the final boss

is the only npc has focus anyway.

One idea I had was to make a special style like spirit thief that healed focus rather than chi, but then I realized how catastrophically bad that would be to game balance. It's bad enough that you can tear through folks with storm dragon or hidden fist and do harmonic combos! :)

Yes, storm dragon is a game balance breaker. Almost every boss can be beaten easily using it. I dont know about hidden fist, i'm a OP always :)

Master black has no chance to spread his style in my game, :).

I dont know about hidden fist, i'm a OP always :)

Master black has no chance to spread his style in my game, :).

Aww... you're missing out, man!

Being "evil" is actually more challenging and fun in my opinion. There is a good bit of game content that only a closed fist character can do -- which first becomes apparent when you make your way to the haunted forest near Tien's Landing.

Haven't you ever wondered what the silk strings and zither case are for? Ever tried to take down a heavenly spirit and her guardians? I will warn you: if you play the game on hard difficulty, you will need to be pretty skillful to make it out of Heaven alive. Chi strikes and spirit thief are your friends. :)

Good work testing out the cdamage thing, BTW.

-Loth

As I promised befre, here it is, lothario's styles, compiled with monkey paw.

Loth, as result of my cdamage test, I add a little chi damage for last chain attack of black mantis according to your description about this style (distrrubting chi).

I add 5 lines on stylesuperlist.2da and styledata.2ds to accommodating the 5 new styles, so tweaking these styles up/down won't effect NPC that use the same styles. So I can tune down the damage of monkey paw without make the fat brother sung become very weak.

http://www.noeman.org/gsm/video-games-general-talk/80978-monkey-claw-style-jade-empire-se-pc.html#post398728

or

http://www.ziddu.com/download/3754832/CompiledStyles.zip.html

Aww... you're missing out, man!

Being "evil" is actually more challenging and fun in my opinion. There is a good bit of game content that only a closed fist character can do -- which first becomes apparent when you make your way to the haunted forest near Tien's Landing.

Haven't you ever wondered what the silk strings and zither case are for? Ever tried to take down a heavenly spirit and her guardians? I will warn you: if you play the game on hard difficulty, you will need to be pretty skillful to make it out of Heaven alive. Chi strikes and spirit thief are your friends. :)

Good work testing out the cdamage thing, BTW.

-Loth

Yeach, the zithers quest, jia (tempest trainer ), and killing master radiant are the only quests I never do. In my early running game, I did beat the elephant guard but release the fox spirit in the end. I was a fool to trust the inn keeper to kill the spirit, but then she ensure me in the end who's the right side.

I'm happy with master and grand master difficulty playing. Yeach chi strike in spirit thief is very useful, slowly weaken crowded enemies in safe way.

Archived