Home

Jade Empire modding (see first post for info summary)

stoffe

As I promised befre, here it is, lothario's styles, compiled with monkey paw.

Loth, as result of my cdamage test, I add a little chi damage for last chain attack of black mantis according to your description about this style (distrrubting chi).

I add 5 lines on stylesuperlist.2da and styledata.2ds to accommodating the 5 new styles, so tweaking these styles up/down won't effect NPC that use the same styles. So I can tune down the damage of monkey paw without make the fat brother sung become very weak.

Good work, dunde!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stoffe, I want to make 2 version of leaping tiger style, one as martial an one as wapon style. Then I want to give the wapon style version as reward when a PC character fully upgrades the martial version. The problem is, I couldnt find any script/function that returrns the mastery level of a style, and to capture stlye master upgrading event. can you help me? Thanks before.

I want to give the wapon style version as reward when a PC character fully upgrades the martial version. The problem is, I couldnt find any script/function that returrns the mastery level of a style, and to capture stlye master upgrading event.

It's been a while since I did any JE modding so I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe you can use the GetCombatStyleLevel() function to check what mastery level someone has of a particular style, and GetHasStyle() to check if they know the style at all, and ApplyStyleAdvanceLine() to make someone learn a style or upgrade it (refers to the StyleAdvance.2da file with the last parameter).

As far as I am aware there is no event triggering when a player upgrades a style, so you'd likely have to check that from some other script instead. If you can find no suitable spot you could probably add it to the heartbeat script used by the player party member AI since those should trigger once per round all the time. (The easiest way would likely be to rename the old heartbeat script NCS file and give your new script its name and then fire the old renamed script at the end of yours with the ExecuteScript() function.)

Question: Does anyone know where the merchant (store) files are?

Edit2: No go nothing seems to be contained in the STO files... still have no idea how to add items to the in-game stores.

*Cough* Anyone? Anyone at all? *Crickets chirp*

Bueller?

:xp:

*Cough* Anyone? Anyone at all? *Crickets chirp*

I don't think I ever figured out how that worked. I do remember when tinkering with some styles though that some of those scripts set variables that supposedly controlled if some styles/items would show up on certain merchants though, (J00_B_STORE_STORMDRAGON, J00_B_STORE_LSTRIKE). Maybe you could search for those in the game data files and see where else they might be referred, since they presumably are affecting the stores somewhere.

hey uhm i recently got a no cd crack and i...tried making my own gem and after i did so my game wont start at all anybody know what i could i'll probly have to reinstall and mod it completely again...but after i deleted the gem stuff i put on and all i got a new no cd crack and it still wont work...pls help im bored and i cant play it hehe...i cant really do anything else seeing that im injuured and all....

Sorry karakus but we can't discuss No-CD cracks here... so you won't get any advice other than to go out and re-purchase the game. -RH

ok well i re-installed and now when i mod it crashes even if i put the original files back in .... lol it's really annoying yesterday i re-installed like 5 times....

hey i was jsut wondering the first time i installed JESE i changed up the stuff so i could be Prince kin ...but i forgot how to do that would anybody be able to help me with that...

Hello everyone! I haven't posted here often, so feel free to let me know if I'm posting in the wrong section.

My reason for posting today is I have a dilemma! A conundrum! An issue! A problem! An unforseeable barrier which stands in my way on the road I travel. I am a big fan of making use of mods to extend the experience of a game above and beyond their original bounds. I've made extensive use of mods for KOTOR, KOTOR II, and Oblivion, for my own enjoyment, and I wanted to do the same with Jade Empire. I hadn't played the game in quite a while, and had never really checked to see what the modding community for Jade Empire consisted of. Well lo and behold, I discovered that it's a tough nut to crack when it comes to modding, because mods for it are few and far between.

Now I come to the heart of my dilemma. I found several mods that seemed promising, amongst them several mods by Caramel Boy (Death's Hand Weapon Style, Fox Spirit Style, and Master Li's Magic Style), as well as a few others, such as the Elephant Demon and Moonlight mod, Boneseer's Monkey Paw style mod, and a slight mod for replacing the default staff choice with the Limited Edition's Tien's Justice. However, almost all of these mods make changes to both the dialog.tlk file, and a small number of .2da files in the override folder.

Now this is where I'm really in over my head. Although I make extensive use of mods for RPGs and am great at picking and choosing for sake of compatability and smooth gameplay, I have the technical savvy of a bumblebee, which is to say, none whatsoever. So I am stumped as to how to merge the .2da files and how to merge the dialog.tlk files to incorporate more then one mod. I've found mention by the mod authors that almost all of the ones I've chosen are compatible with each other, however, I certainly cannot just go around replacing each dialog.tlk and each .2da file with a new one, as I attempted that, and it confirmed my suspicions that it's an unviable method for mod compatability.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could take the time to let me know how to merge .2da files and the dialog.tlk file for Jade Empire, and to remember that I'm a bumble when it comes to modding processes, so I'd greatly appreciate as much indepth information as possible. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Edit: Heyo, it's me again! Sorry for posting again, I just forgot to mention a few things. I believe that the .2da files are in v2.0 format, whatever that means, because I attempted to use Stoffe's 2da Conversion/Merging tool to merge them, and it didn't work. I downloaded a text merger, WinMerge, however, reading through the help information, it seems to me the most ungodly complicated thing I have ever seen. Thanks again for reading my posts!

hey i was wondering...i was trying to make so instead of wu the lotus blossom you could be silk fox but it didn't work and i was wondering how would i be able to do cus i changed the appearance but i got stuck at changing the player.2da file and everything else

Heyo again everyone! I'll apologize beforehand for being impatient, because I know that it's only been a few days since I posted, and I'm not sure with what regularity anyone reads this thread. However, I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone has input on how I can merge .2da files and the dialog.tlk file in Jade Empire, either through a program or manually. Again, I'm not very learned when it comes to working with things like that, so a detailed explanation would be much appreciated. Thank you again for reading my post!

• 2 weeks later...

*SPOILER WARNING*

I have a few mods and fixes I would like to share. It's nothing major, but I think they improve the game without adding things that would appear out of place.

1. Closed Fist Dawn Star + Silk Fox: This mod makes sure that if you convince both DS and SF to turn to the Dark Side, they will not turn on you if you recruit Death's Hand or/and poison the Water Dragon. As it stands right now, Dawn Star would always betray you if you romanced her together with Silk Fox, which made absolutely no sense to me; thus I created a mod to fix that. Now, she (or Silk Fox) will only turn on you if you didn't manage to turn her away from the path of harmony. :p

Issues: The only issue with this mod is that you will not be presented with description of what became of Dawn Star after the death of Li and the Water Dragon because the game assumes she is dead. I'm not exactly sure how to fix that, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Note that this bug doesn't happen if you don't consume WD's spirit but still enslave Death's Hand.

Screenshots:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-27-42-08.jpg

Show spoiler
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-27-48-68.jpg

Show spoiler
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-28-41-07.jpg

2. Silk Fox Without Face Covering During Conversations: With this mod installed, Silk Fox will remove her face-covering when engaged in conversation and put it back on when it terminates. There is no animation for this, but that isn't a problem; you never get to see her covering disappearing in the middle of the conversation, so you can just assume she takes it off before she starts talking and then puts it back on immediately after she stops.

Issues: None that I know of. This mod is only active during chapter 3 (in chapter 2, she will always wear her covering), so it shouldn't cause any problems in the latter chapters in which she doesn't wear any covering at all.

Screenshots:

Show spoiler
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-17-47-76.jpg

Show spoiler
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-17-58-63.jpg

3. Black Whirlwind Arena Fix: There is a bug in the game that prevents you from asking BW about the arena after you defeat Lucky Cho. This mod aims to fix that. You can now ask him about the arena throughout the whole chapter 3; he has something new to say after Lucky Cho's defeat, when he learns the truth about his brother, and when you become an arena champion.

Issues: None, this mod fixes issues. :xp:

Screenshot:

Show spoiler
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-23-19-18.jpg

4. Greater Music Track Variety: Some music tracks are reused way too often, while some are not used at all. Installing this mod will fix that.

Issues: Hopefully none. I've made sure the music fits the areas, so you don't have to worry about things appearing out of place.

5. Party Members with More HP: This very simple mod (that took me quite a while to make :p) will give your party members more hit points, which basically means they will not die nearly as often as they do now. They will not be dealing any more damage, so no need to worry about unbalancing the game.

Issues: none.

Installation: just copy everything from the mod folders and paste it into your override folder.

Download the mods

Hello. Great work from you guys from what I've seen. I haven't been able to try anything that I'd like because in the 8 pages of posts that I've perused, I haven't been able to actually find instructions on how to adde new styles to the superstyles.2da file.

I tried downloading Lothario's new styles, but for some reason I can't get the download to work, so instead I downloaded Dunde's file. Now I just need to know how to add them to my game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it would be really nice if there was a central area that listed all mods, reskins, and patches. Like they have at Filefront. I'd like to try some reskins, but with the exception of the Scholar Ling reskin I saw, there aren't any other (males) that I want to try. I'm talking about PCs of course.

Edit: OK, I got everything to work correctly, but I have a question. How would I go about changing a specific move that is part of a style? What I would like to do is replace the Strong Attack in the Seven Thunders style with the Strong Attack from Divine Void, or Black Mantis Is that possible?

How would I go about changing a specific move that is part of a style? What I would like to do is replace the Strong Attack in the Seven Thunders style with the Strong Attack from Divine Void, or Black Mantis Is that possible?

Hi Gikaar! Glad you're trying out our efforts. In response to the question above... it is impossible, unfortunately.

The code for the animations is blocked together in chunks, and you can't mix and match the parts of the chunks with each other without actually switching styles in-game like you would do with a harmonic combo.

What you CAN do is change around the parts of the chunks with each other in the same block to switch around animations, like making the power attack into the area attack, as I did with the Divine Void style. All the martial styles I made were based off of existing single styles in the game, and I changed and tweaked stuff around using this technique.

BTW, Sorry my download links didn't work for you the first time... I guess we could blame MegaUpload.com. :)

-Loth

Heyo again everyone! I've been doing some shuffling around and searching, after some much appreciated help from Stoffe, and I've come up against another road block. I have the several style mods I'd like to make use of together, and so I know I need to compile the files that they share, mainly the stylesuperlist.2da and the dialog.tlk files. I have no problems yet with the 2da file, as I can use WinMerge to open and compare seperate copies to check for discrepencies between the two, however, I've stumbled a bit on the dialog.tlk file editing. I can use Stoffe's great TLK v4.0 File Editor to compare and edit existing dialog.tlk files, but I have no idea how to find the areas in which the mod creaters did their additional script lines. I mean, there are upwards of 130740 scripts in that file! Any insight as to how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my post!

I can use Stoffe's great TLK v4.0 File Editor to compare and edit existing dialog.tlk files, but I have no idea how to find the areas in which the mod creaters did their additional script lines. I mean, there are upwards of 130740 scripts in that file! Any insight as to how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my post!

Maybe I can be of some aid. :)

If you are looking for where the modcreators stuck their texts in, all you have to do is check out stylesuperlist.2da. The first two columns are tags to direct the game to look for texts that are inside dialog.tlk

For example, in a vanilla version of stylesuperlist.2da, the first line with any references to dialog.tlk is #1, which is labeled Support_Paralyzing, which is of course the support style "Paralyzing Palm". If you look at the first two columns of that line you'll see "NameRef" and "DescRef", which are the entry numbers of dialog.tlk that refer to the in-game appearance of the name and description of the style.

Using the example above, if we use the NameRef of line #1, which is entry number 18443 as it appears in the table, we can open up dialog.tlk with your editor from Stoffe, and go to the 18443 entry and see the words "Paralyzing Palm". That's how the 2da works. If we went to entry 35209 in dialog.tlk, you would see the description for the style.

Knowing this, we can reverse-engineer the dialog.tlk's from the modcreators, and find out where and what the text they added can be found, and copy-pasted into a new dialog.tlk that you can use to merge all of the mods into one. Just look at their various superstylelist.2da's and trace it back with the Dialog.tlk editor.

It's not so hard once you know what to do. Five minutes of copy-pasting, and you'll be on your way! :)

-Loth

Well I certainly feel silly now! Once I sat down and pored through the various shared 2da files of the different mods I wanted to use, I realized that The Fun Side and Sekan's Elephant Demon and Moonlight mod has incorporated the elements of all the other mods for compatability. Boy, that's three weeks of searching and forum trolling ill-spent. At least I learned something about modding that I didn't know beforehand. By the way, does anyone have a working link to Caramelboy's Leopard Fist mod, or can they email me the files? The only link I can find is his own post on the Bioware forums, and the file was deleted from the fileshare due to inactive downloading I suppose. My email is PM Me Instead. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and much obliged if anyone can provide me with a working link to the Leopard Fist mod, or can email me the necessary files!

Removed Email as per our forum rules. It also keeps away the spam bots. -RH

Ummm, sorry to ask, but can anyone teach me how to change the resistance number so nothing can be immune to the Long Sword Fortune's Favorite?:confused: (AKA ghosts, spirits, its because i'm planning to use Lian and i heard that theres animation problems)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I've uploaded the reskinned textures here if you want it. :) Unpack the files and put them in the override folder. Remove any files with the same name with an .TXB extension found in the override folder, otherwise the game will not use the modded textures.

portraitradiantem4.th.jpg

Wow Stoffe she looks beautiful! I really like the clothing recolor.

Archived