Home

Jade Empire modding (see first post for info summary)

stoffe

Hello,

has anyone yet brought the Dawnstar-Mod from page 6 (romance for females) actually to work? I would really like to experience her romance, but I don't like to play males. I downloaded the compiled files (from post #216) and placed them into override, but the option "I'd rather see you smile." (or something like that - I play the german version), which I saw in a Youtube-Video (to check whether the mod works) doesn't appear.

I'm not experienced with modding of newer games so I hope someone here could tell me what to do.

Should I try and compile the text posted in #214 myself? If so, is there a tutorial anywhere over the internet which explains how?

Or could it be the point that I play the German version?

I would greatly appreciate any help; perhaps someone tried the same and accomplised it.

PS: Please excuse my bad English.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, it doesn't for me, I think. :confused:

I simply had no "flirting" dialogue choices at the coast after the fight against the pirates (Chapter1). I think there should be the "I'd rather see you smile." option I mentioned. Or is maybe just this option missing, but the rest works fine? I just want to be sure that the mod works before I play further.

I also "installed" those other mods, but they did'nt want to overwrite anything so I thought they should be compatible:

Kissfix (from here)

Dawnstar for all (obviously)

Bugfixes 2-5 (from the 14th post there: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/33420-jade-empire-pc-modlist/)

Reskins of Ling and Jen Zi (from here)

Monk Reskin (from here)

There is not much flirting to be had in chapter 1 and I'm pretty sure that nothing you say has an influence on your chances later on. From chapter 2 on you will have to start choosing your options carefully, but chapter 1 doesn't matter much.

Yes, I understand that, but I fear that if the flirting option in chapter 1 (as irrevelant as it is) doesn't appear the whole mod doesn't work properly. Because it should remove the genderchecks and they are obviously not removed, otherwise I should be able to say the "smile" thing, should I?

Or is there anything I'm getting wrong about how this mod works?

Ok, thank you, so you never encountered a flirt line on the beach? That sounds appeasing to me. So you would recommend me to simply play further? Is there any line in chapter1 that is usually gender-specific so I could be assured that the mod is working?

EDIT: Here's the link to the video I used to check whether the romance works (it's German):

At 2:47 there is the first answer: "I'd rather see you smile. Is there something I could do for you?"

I just looked at the dialog file and it doesn't seem to make any difference at all, if your character is male and does get that line or female and does not get that option. If you want the line anyway, put this in your override folder: j00_dstar.dlg

Is there any line in chapter1 that is usually gender-specific so I could be assured that the mod is working?

Sorry. I don't remember the game without this mod.

Hey, thank you. It's not a matter of this line, I only feared that the whole romance won't appear. I'm happy that I can now reassured go on with playing this game. You really made my day!

But now for the theory: How can it be that this line didn't appear? I thought Tupac Amaru's mod would remove the gender checks?

And: You seem to be experienced with modding, given how fast you made this .dlg.

I downloaded the Dialog Editor and tried to play around a bit; but how do you actually know where certain lines are? Because the application asks me at loading which lines from the dialog.tlk I want to load.

The gender checks are not like some sort of switch you can turn on or off. It's much more basic than that. You can attach "conditional scripts" to the dialog lines. The conditional decides whether that line will be shown or not. Tupac Amaru's mod modifies a number of important conditionals in a few key scenes, but it most likely misses a few of the less important ones.

Ah, interesting. So the mod opens only the romance and not the seperate flirtations.

Once again: Big thank for your help!

Would it be possible to just search the dialog file for "gender=male" and add a "female" at the lines in question? Not that I would have the time to do this (unfortunately)... Just a curious question.

Anyway, I'm glad to be able to play on and I think I should also leave a "Thank you!" for Tupac Amaru for writing this mod.

Would you prefer to do it the hard way? :) Sure. Why not? The name of the conditional that I just deleted is "j00_c_pcmale". There's also a "j00_c_pcfemale". You could try to extract all DLG files with JEFindRes and search for these strings in them. There may also be other scripts that refer to the gender... They most likely use the GetGender() function. You could extract all NCS files with JEFindRes, transcode them to PCODE with nwnnsscomp and search for "GetGender".

• 2 weeks later...

First of all i wanna thank all you guys for the wonderfull work you do here, i found many answers to questions that puzzled me for a long time.

However i still need some help with something, here's my dilemma:

I am trying to play as a female pirate npc, i added the n_piratf.mdx,n_piratf.mdl,n_piratf.txb they all work fine for the body part.

However there are 2 head textures:h_piratf.txb and h_piratf02.txb but it doesn't matter wich one i put in the override folder, none of them work and the head on the character is missing.

Could somebody give me an insight what to do to make it work? Or do they use a different head textures.I found the pirate textures in the data, pirates folder.

Thanks in advance!

And great job so far

By default the game engine can only handle complete models. It's also possible to force the engine to use separate models for body and head, but that requires some doing. Lots of doing, actually.

The best advice I can give is to wait for the next version of my mod, because I'm working on just that. Here's the teaser.

The second best advice would be to add this line to j00_een_default.nss:

SetAppearance(GetPlayer(), body, head);

(You will have to replace "body" with the row from appearance.2da and "head" with the row from heads.2da.)

Then compile this script with nwnnsscomp.exe. The link to the compiler is in this thread, I believe. You could also download the source code of my mod. It includes the compiler.

This is a simplistic solution and it will break occasionally. When you transform e.g. the head will not be restored when you transform back, but j00_een_default gets called whenever you load a savegame or when a different area is loaded - in other words: a lot.

Thank you kwix for your fast reply.Guess i have to wait then because i don't seem to have a heads.2da file in my override folder.It just seems weird to me that the head textures exist but the game doesn't take it in consideration.

Thank you again and PS i got your mod, just great keep up the good work.

The problem is that there's no way - besides scripting - to tell the game that you want to use a different head for a player character. For NPCs you have the CRE file. That file may specify a body *and* a head. But the same entries in the player's CRE file are ignored. That's because the CRE files are static, while the player's appearance is decided when you start a new game.

And: Bioware has decided - for the sake of simplicity, I suppose - that player characters may not have mixed models. If you pick a complete model - the Watcher e.g., or the Ravager - you should be fine. But if you do want to use a mixed model, you must do it the hard way. That means calling SetAppearance after every Transformation e.g., reverting the character to its original appearance before the in-game movies play, etc. etc.

To get (a human readable version of) the heads.2da you should download the lot of them from papagamer.com. The link is somewhere in this thread, I believe. You can also find it in the Credits section of my mod's web site.

Sorry that I don't have better news. :giveup:

• 4 months later...
I'm curious to know, has anyone figured out a way to correct the floating ribbons bug for the main character?

Seconded. This happens for all detached "wavy" clothing bits for every character model. Nothing in the settings or the .ini file helps...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Can you send me the link for Closed Fist Dawn Star + Silk Fox plz. That would really make my day since what you posted in 2009 is now gone. PLZ I HAVE BEING HUNTING FOR THIS DAMN THING! Just PM me ty

*SPOILER WARNING*

I have a few mods and fixes I would like to share. It's nothing major, but I think they improve the game without adding things that would appear out of place.

1. Closed Fist Dawn Star + Silk Fox: This mod makes sure that if you convince both DS and SF to turn to the Dark Side, they will not turn on you if you recruit Death's Hand or/and poison the Water Dragon. As it stands right now, Dawn Star would always betray you if you romanced her together with Silk Fox, which made absolutely no sense to me; thus I created a mod to fix that. Now, she (or Silk Fox) will only turn on you if you didn't manage to turn her away from the path of harmony. :p

Issues: The only issue with this mod is that you will not be presented with description of what became of Dawn Star after the death of Li and the Water Dragon because the game assumes she is dead. I'm not exactly sure how to fix that, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Note that this bug doesn't happen if you don't consume WD's spirit but still enslave Death's Hand.

Screenshots:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-27-42-08.jpg

Show spoiler
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-27-48-68.jpg

Show spoiler
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-28-41-07.jpg

2. Silk Fox Without Face Covering During Conversations: With this mod installed, Silk Fox will remove her face-covering when engaged in conversation and put it back on when it terminates. There is no animation for this, but that isn't a problem; you never get to see her covering disappearing in the middle of the conversation, so you can just assume she takes it off before she starts talking and then puts it back on immediately after she stops.

Issues: None that I know of. This mod is only active during chapter 3 (in chapter 2, she will always wear her covering), so it shouldn't cause any problems in the latter chapters in which she doesn't wear any covering at all.

Screenshots:

Show spoiler
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-17-47-76.jpg

Show spoiler
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-17-58-63.jpg

3. Black Whirlwind Arena Fix: There is a bug in the game that prevents you from asking BW about the arena after you defeat Lucky Cho. This mod aims to fix that. You can now ask him about the arena throughout the whole chapter 3; he has something new to say after Lucky Cho's defeat, when he learns the truth about his brother, and when you become an arena champion.

Issues: None, this mod fixes issues. :xp:

Screenshot:

Show spoiler
JadeEmpire2009-04-1806-23-19-18.jpg

4. Greater Music Track Variety: Some music tracks are reused way too often, while some are not used at all. Installing this mod will fix that.

Issues: Hopefully none. I've made sure the music fits the areas, so you don't have to worry about things appearing out of place.

5. Party Members with More HP: This very simple mod (that took me quite a while to make :p) will give your party members more hit points, which basically means they will not die nearly as often as they do now. They will not be dealing any more damage, so no need to worry about unbalancing the game.

Issues: none.

Installation: just copy everything from the mod folders and paste it into your override folder.

Download the mods

Hello I'm new in the forum, first I want to congratulate all of the tool makers for keeping Jade Empire Alive and the moders for all that amazing mods.

I got a couple of questions for you:

1. Can you tell me how much cut content the game has in some sort of list?

2 How can I add a new style? could you explain me please how to do it step by step?

3 Do you know where can I found lothario1132 mods?

4 How I add those style to a merchant or put them as a reward??

for example: I wanna add tien's justice as a separate weapon rather than a upgrade for one, also I wanna add the four lost styles (lothario1132 styles), I wanna know if you know how I could access to the locked flyer mission and after that I put this styles in game can I upgrade them with skill points or i must do something first??

Thank you. Sorry if I have a bad English

• 2 months later...

The tools needed to change characters to npc's are missing. T_T The links are all dead and I'm stuck. Can someone explain an easier way to change my character to executioner zogu or the watcher? Either that or provide the tools if you have them on hand? I tried using the save editor but I always got an error.

The tools needed to change characters to npc's are missing. T_T The links are all dead and I'm stuck. Can someone explain an easier way to change my character to executioner zogu or the watcher? Either that or provide the tools if you have them on hand? I tried using the save editor but I always got an error.

We're currently experiencing some technical difficulties with the host of the starwarsknights.com site which those tools are located on. The service provider is working on resolving it but for some reason it seems to be taking an awfully long time. But they should hopefully be available again within a few days.

Archived