Home

NWN modding

mjpb3

Are there any NWN (the original NWN game) modders here who could maybe help me out?

I recently began playing NWN for the first time and I have been trying to understand how NWN is modded. Could someone PLEASE help a girl out and explain exactly what a few things are, how they work, and why hardly anything goes into the Override folder like I am used to doing with KotOR I and II?

I sort of grasp the concept of hakpacks, modules, and the like, but I am still confused about a lot of things.

The number one thing I want to know is: how can I change my character's appearance and have it show up in the game without having to jump through a gazillion hoops to so...

Thanks for any help. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I would have figured with all of the seasoned modders here that surely someone would know how to mod NWN...

Oh well... Could a mod shut this thread down since I seem to be the only one interested? Thanks! :D

Wow! I would have figured with all of the seasoned modders here that surely someone would know how to mod NWN...

Oh well... Could a mod shut this thread down since I seem to be the only one interested? Thanks! :D

I've done a fair deal of Neverwinter Nights modding in the past, though it has mostly been scenario building, scripting and such, and a few new creature models and textures. It's been a couple of years since I last did anything significant though, so I've managed to forget much of it.

Unfortunately I don't remember how you add new player appearances you can pick at the start of the game, so I can't offer any useful advise on that. But if you haven't already I can recommend that you get and read through the NWN Custom Content Guide, it contains a lot of info on similar topics and might offer some insight. :)

(I'll leave the thread open in case someone else happens to know more.)

I recently began playing NWN for the first time and I have been trying to understand how NWN is modded. Could someone PLEASE help a girl out and explain exactly what a few things are, how they work, and why hardly anything goes into the Override folder like I am used to doing with KotOR I and II?

NWN1 & 2 use a slightly more complex but IMO much better modding system than the KotORs use.

Files in Override will act everywhere for you - whether it's your own modules, the OCs, or some fan-made ones, anything in Override will work in them.

Hakpaks are meant to work only in specific modules (of your choosing) so you can avoid mod conflicts or having to do much 2da editing. If you have a hakpak that, say, implements the spell Wish, it will only work in the modules of your choosing. This helps avoid conflicts in how the Wish mod might be incompatible with something else you have, but will work only in the modules you pick and leave the other ones unaffected, and not require you to dump the other mod.

Modules have to go in the modules folder, just like they do in KotOR. Sometimes they're counted as campaigns (a long series of modules) and have a folder that needs to be put in the one for other campaigns.

The number one thing I want to know is: how can I change my character's appearance and have it show up in the game without having to jump through a gazillion hoops to so...

What are you trying to change? If it's just clothes open up the toolset, tinker around a bit, (the one for NWN is very easy to figure out) and save them item file to Override or keep it in a module.

NWN1 & 2 use a slightly more complex but IMO much better modding system than the KotORs use.

Files in Override will act everywhere for you - whether it's your own modules, the OCs, or some fan-made ones, anything in Override will work in them.

Hakpaks are meant to work only in specific modules (of your choosing) so you can avoid mod conflicts or having to do much 2da editing. If you have a hakpak that, say, implements the spell Wish, it will only work in the modules of your choosing. This helps avoid conflicts in how the Wish mod might be incompatible with something else you have, but will work only in the modules you pick and leave the other ones unaffected, and not require you to dump the other mod.

Modules have to go in the modules folder, just like they do in KotOR. Sometimes they're counted as campaigns (a long series of modules) and have a folder that needs to be put in the one for other campaigns.

Oh, okay... So when I see someone on NWVault b*tching about a mod putting something into their Override folder, this is why...

I was thinking they were being very critical, but now I get it. :)

What are you trying to change? If it's just clothes open up the toolset, tinker around a bit, (the one for NWN is very easy to figure out) and save them item file to Override or keep it in a module.

Actually, I want to change my PCs head texture and can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. I am using one of the basic game heads, but on the head her eyes appear very dark, almost black, and I wanted to change that, maybe give her eyes that can actually be seen--as something other than black eyes, I mean. :D

I've followed at least three tutorials on how to do this--customize a head--but nothing I've tried has worked at all. I make a new game and there's no new head, changed head, or anything...

(I'll leave the thread open in case someone else happens to know more.)

Okay. I just didn't want to be wasting space for a game no one else seems to be interested in. ;)

Archived