Home

What a nice wife...

Lightsaberboy

The first thing the husband said must have been "oh well..."

But jon makes a point. When I was young, I stuck a magnet over the diskette (not too strong though), but turns out the disk still worked fine

I don't, My computer doesn't even have the drive for them. If I did I would recreate this for you with a 1.44Mb .bmp file on the disk with the image saying "Myth Busted".

Anyone else want to give it a go? All you need is a floppy disk you don't want, a fridge, a magnet and a camera*.

*Optional

Ya'll know that you actually need a changing magnetic (read: a moving magnet over the disk) field to have an effect to that disk, right? That one ain't changing, because the magnet isn't moving. That should have been only the case while she'd put it to the fridge, and if she did not do it too fast, and a couple of times, than there is nothing about it. :p

Ya'll know that you actually need a changing magnetic (read: a moving magnet over the disk) field to have an effect to that disk, right? That one ain't changing, because the magnet isn't moving. That should have been only the case while she'd put it to the fridge, and if she did not do it too fast, and a couple of times, than there is nothing about it. :p

I thought about that too. If the magnet simply stayed in one spot, it wouldn't actually shift anything enough to break the disk.

If I did I would recreate this for you with a 1.44Mb .bmp file on the disk with the image saying "Myth Busted".

Anyone else want to give it a go?

I might take you up on that when I get time. Sounds fun. :p

Magnet must have been pretty strong to hold through the floppy and the paper. *shrugs*

Who uses those things anymore anyways? :p

hey i still use floppys you never know when they will come in handy, sure i have 2 flash drives but what happens when the computer dosent have a flash drive? my friend just recently had to use one cause his computer dosent have a usb drive :p

I'm a poorly college student that lives on a couch in a garage. I meant nothing of financial means. :)

I merely meant that usb ports have been a fairly standard feature for ten plus years now and that most would be hard pressed to find a pc that had none, except perhaps if you ventured to the moon and they had a different system setup entirely. A moon system if you will. I'd call the ports MOON ports and they would be solar powered. Now, you see, there's a very intricate method to my madness.

I have completed my experiments...

I took a regular 3½-inch floppy disk, and put this picture on it:

bustedyv6.png

Then, I took a regular refrigerator magnet just strong enough to hold the floppy onto the fridge and left it on for awhile (with post-it note for authenticity). Note that most of the refrigerator magnets I have weren't strong enough to hold the floppy up. I put the floppy into the computer, and the picture came up, exactly how it should be. The floppy disk still worked. So what will kill the floppy?

Now I took a strong magnet (strong enough to lift a hammer) and used that to pin the floppy and post-it to the fridge (pictured below).

floppy1sy5.jpg

Then, I took the magnet off, stuck it back into the computer. The picture came up, intact, no errors.

So then I remembered the point Ray Jones brought up, that the magnetic field needs to be changing in order to shift anything around and screw up the disk. So, I took the strong magnet and vigorously shifted it over the surface of the floppy. I stuck it back into the computer, and told it to load the disk... It took quite awhile to actually do anything, and it finally gave me a "this disk is not yet formatted, would you like to format it now?" message. I clicked "no." Then, I took it out, put it back in and tried loading it again. This time the floppy wouldn't do anything it all, it just sat there loading, and eventually crashed the window.

When I originally pinned the floppy onto the refrigerator, the magnets did shift over the disk a little bit, but it didn't have any effect. It took vigorous shifting of the magnet over the surface of the disk to really kill it. Unless the wife sat there and moved the magnet around for some reason, I think he would've been able to recover whatever it was on the disk. Final verdict? Busted.

floppy2en2.jpg

Brilliant job! Just out of interest does formatting the disk fix it or is it truly farked?

I tried reloading the disk so that I could make the formatting thing come up again and test that. However, it simply crashed the window every time after that first time. I seriously doubt it would fix it anyways, so yeah, the disk is probably farked.

I would test that if I were to do it again. I would also see just how much shifting of the magnet is required to actually kill the disk, and how much shifting of a smaller magnet is required as well.

Archived