Home

Killer Apps, Tweaks & Important Updates!

Astrotoy7

Astro--could you set up an index in your first post perhaps? There's so many good things in this thread, and an index will make the programs/sites easier to find (and to check to see if the site/program has been mentioned by someone already. :) )

Great idea, saves me digging through this thread going: "where on earth is that post about this program dammit!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
K-Lite Codec Pack - a complete (and free) video and music codec pack that allows you to play all the different file types you'd ever use, including Real and QuickTime.

How does it play QuickTime stuff cause I'm trying to get rid of QT but I can't see the codec for it in the list, even in the "Mega" version of it...

To stay on the same topic, I dunno if I've posted it here before but I'll mention XP Codec Pack which includes the awesome Sherlock Codec Detective, which you can see in action here:

Sherlock.jpg

How does it play QuickTime stuff cause I'm trying to get rid of QT but I can't see the codec for it in the list, even in the "Mega" version of it...

Negsun - IIRC - youre a vista user - if so - you cant go past the vista codec pack :) Everything the k-lite pack has, and more, I can verify it has quicktime filters ;) Even a superb x64 add on if you are using vista x64.

if you want to unload just QT, and not install anything else > there is also Quicktime Alternative (basically just the QT filters on their own, so you can open them in other players.)

for xp users, apart from using something like vlc player, if you like the control that codec packs allow(they do if you know what youre doing!) then the most comprehensive is the CCCP

mtfbwya

Negsun - IIRC - youre a vista user - if so - you cant go past the vista codec pack :) Everything the k-lite pack has, and more, I can verify it has quicktime filters ;) Even a superb x64 add on if you are using vista x64.

if you want to unload just QT, and not install anything else > there is also Quicktime Alternative (basically just the QT filters on their own, so you can open them in other players.)

for xp users, apart from using something like vlc player, if you like the control that codec packs allow(they do if you know what youre doing!) then the most comprehensive is the CCCP

mtfbwya

hehe sorry Astro, I was still editing my other post when you posted this (duh)

It's XP I've got and I use XP codec pack like I posted, but it was that Quicktime Alternative that I was looking for, thanks ;)

It's just that QT has been making my FireFox or IE crash whenever I try to open QT media, so I just want to get rid of it and still be able to browse the media and such.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple that some might find useful

AVI Recomp > sure, a zillion other apps can recompress an avi, but the beauty of this is that it allows you to easily crop frames, without having to install a mega-editing app to achieve this.. FREEWARE :) I was getting a frame overlap issue from recorded tv, but found out about it from people who use it to slice out subs and watermarks etc from vids ;) works great in xp or vista. Nice visual UI

AVI Trimmer >> ever wanted to slice a portion out of an avi - eg. opening/end credits, ads etc. This great little freeware app can do it quick and easy, giving you a lossless end file :) Nice visual UI

mtfbwya

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another lil gem.

Ever wanted to tweak your affinity settings? ie. have an app which controls which CPUcores do what when other apps or process are started. Helpful in getting some games to perform better, or improving multitasking by setting single cores per different app. etc. You can do it while tasks are running via task manager, but there is no easy way of setting it in windows that will launch each time you launch an app/game

I trawled and found this great little freeware app called "Get n Set affinity" Small footprint, does exactly what you want it to :)

gns23009.gif

It says ''not recommended for Vista'', though I have been using it with Vistax64 with no probs :)

mtfbwya

• 2 months later...

Nothing too exciting here, but thought you all might want to know that XP SP3 and Vista SP1 are available from Microsoft Windows Update.

Field Guide to Windows XP SP3 (Lifehacker.com)

For the most part, Microsoft is doing their best to avoid pulling Vista features into XP, with just a few exceptions. They are:

* Network Access Protection (NAP): A new system in Vista and Windows Server 2008, this feature sets system "health" requirements to validate a computer's health before it allows that computer to connect to yours.

* "Black Hole" Router Detection: This new feature detects when your router is silently losing or discarding packets and is intended to protect from such problems.

* Product Activation Not Required on Installation: Like Vista, you can now install XP without first providing a valid product key. Windows will prompt for a product key after installation, though, if you want to take advantage of Windows Genuine Advantage.

* Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module: In a nutshell, this Vista back-port makes it easier to encrypt data through a single algorithm. Enjoy that one!

Aside from these Vista back-port features, other new features include more descriptive security options that better explain your security settings and improved administrator security.

@Astro, Niner et al.: Feel free to merge this with this thread if you like.

Rather than merge, I'll use this to kick off something I was pondering for a while... an important updates thread, where people can post links to newly released drivers, hotfixes, updates, handy utils etc they think may be useful to others. Keep the killer apps in their thread, but feel free to post a version update her if you want...

I'll do my best to keep it updated on the GPU/codec side of things ;) (my main area of interest)

@Linux pros >> feel free to add info, links you feel are important :)

Current drivers:

Nvidia WHQL:

May/June 2008

175.16 (XP x86)

175.16 (Vista x86)

175.16 (Vista x64)

If you have older >6100, FX/MX etc cards, it is suggested you read the release notes before downloading any current version. If you have a non windows OS, please check nvidia.com, of course)

For the adventurous, non-WHQL beta drivers(usually those packaged with new cards or leaked by beta testers). Recommended only if you are after a specifically mentioned bugfix, or are a driver junkie ;)

Courtesy Guru3d

May 2008

175.70 (XP x86)

175.70 (Vista x86)

175.70 (Vista x64)

ATI Catalyst WHQL

May 2008

Catalyst 8.5 (XP x86)

Catalyst 8.5 (Vista x86)

Catalyst 8.5 (Vista x64)

Vista Codec Pack

Contains Updated FFDshow, Xvid, DivX and common tools. Custom install allows you to select only bits you want.

Current versions and release notes at compilers site

>>HERE:

JUN 2008

4.70 VCP for Vista x86

1.4.9 x64 Components add-on for Vista x64 >>a must for x64 Users! (Install along with the standard VCP)

Site includes links for Quicktime alt add on for VCP and some very useful tools/apps

K-lite Codec Pack

JUN 2008

XP/2000/Vista > 3.9.5 standard, basic, full versions & releases notes >>HERE

Or those that prefer the XP Codec Pack

JUN 2008

XP Codec Pack 2.3.8

Have fun

mtfbwya

• 3 weeks later...

I've added an index of all the apps/sites mentioned in this thread in the first post, I was gonna add the descriptions of them as well but I thought it would make it look too cluttered, and if you want to know what the program's about, either click the link or look around in this thread :)

Since doing that alone took me ages, I didn't check to see if all the urls were working ok, if anyone notices a dead link or such, let me kow and I'll fix it ASAP.

• 1 month later...

Update July 17, 2008

Current drivers:

Nvidia WHQL:

July/August 2008

175.19 (XP x86)

175.19 (Vista x86)

175.19 (Vista x64)

These would be the most common drivers for most of us to use, namely with the 6, 7, 8 and 9 series of GeForce cards, for others, see below...

If you have a 200-series card (GTX260/280), use this for Vista x86:

Check the site or ask if you need ones for XP or Vista x64.

If you have older >6100, FX/MX etc cards, it is suggested you read the release notes before downloading any current version. If you have a Non-Windows OS, please check nvidia.com, of course.

For the adventurous, non-WHQL beta drivers(usually those packaged with new cards or leaked by beta testers). Recommended only if you are after a specifically mentioned bugfix, or are a driver junkie ;)

Courtesy Guru3d

July/August 2008

177.66 (XP x86)

177.66 (Vista x86)

177.66 (Vista x64)

13/8/2008:GeForce Power Pack

For nvidia series 8 or above only. This pack includes a selection of

*PhysX and CUDA enabled drivers v 177.83 (currently not in standard drivers)

*nvidias folding@home client \o/

*Games and tech demos. including an unreal tournament physX mod

ATI Catalyst WHQL

July/August 2008

Catalyst 8.6 (XP x86)

Catalyst 8.6 (Vista x86)

Catalyst 8.6 (Vista x64)

Vista Codec Pack

Contains Updated FFDshow, Xvid, DivX and common tools. Custom install allows you to select only bits you want.

>>HERE:

July/August 2008

4.7.1 (Final) VCP for Vista x86

1.5.0 (Final) x64 Components add-on for Vista x64 >>a must for x64 Users! (Install along with the standard VCP)

Site includes links for Quicktime alt add on for VCP and some very useful tools/apps

K-lite Codec Pack

July/August 2008

XP/2000/Vista > 4.0.0 standard, basic, full versions & releases notes >>HERE

July/August 2008

XP Codec Pack 2.3.9

Have fun

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a list of some of the commands/apps you can launch quickly via Start -> Run

Accessibility Controls - access.cpl

Accessibility Wizard - accwiz

Add Hardware - Wizardhdwwiz.cpl

Add/Remove Programs - appwiz.cpl

Administrative Tools control - admintools

Adobe Acrobat (if installed) - acrobat

Adobe ImageReady (if installed)- imageready

Adobe Photoshop (if installed)- photoshop

Automatic Updates - wuaucpl.cpl

Bluetooth Transfer Wizard – fsquirt

Calculator - calc

Check Disk Utility - chkdsk

Clipboard Viewer - clipbrd

Command Prompt - cmd

Component Services - dcomcnfg

Computer Management - compmgmt.msc

Control Panel - control

Date and Time Properties - timedate.cpl

Device Manager - devmgmt.msc

Direct X Control Panel (If Installed)- directx.cpl

Direct X Troubleshooter- dxdiag

Disk Cleanup Utility- cleanmgr

Disk Defragment- dfrg.msc

Disk Management- diskmgmt.msc

Disk Partition Manager- diskpart

Display Properties- control desktop

Display Properties- desk.cpl

Display Properties (w/Appearance Tab Preselected)- control color

Dr. Watson System Troubleshooting Utility- drwtsn32

Driver Verifier Utility- verifier

Event Viewer- eventvwr.msc

Files and Settings Transfer Tool- migwiz

File Signature Verification Tool- sigverif

Findfast- findfast.cpl

Firefox (if installed)- firefox

Folders Properties- control folders

Fonts- control fonts

Fonts Folder- fonts

Free Cell Card Game- freecell

Game Controllers- joy.cpl

Group Policy Editor (XP Prof)- gpedit.msc

Hearts Card Game- mshearts

Help and Support- helpctr

HyperTerminal- hypertrm

Iexpress Wizard- iexpress

Indexing Service- ciadv.msc

Internet Connection Wizard- icwconn1

Internet Explorer- iexplore

Internet Setup Wizard- inetwiz

Internet Properties- inetcpl.cpl

IP Configuration (Display Connection Configuration) - ipconfi/all

IP Configuration (Display DNS Cache Contents)- ipconfig /displaydns

IP Configuration (Delete DNS Cache Contents)- ipconfig /flushdns

IP Configuration (Renew All Connections)- ipconfig /renew

IP Configuration(RefreshesDHCP&Re-RegistersDNS)-ipconfig/registerdns

IP Configuration (Display DHCP Class ID)- ipconfig/showclassid

IP Configuration (Modifies DHCP Class ID)- ipconfig /setclassid

IP Configuration (Release All Connections)- ipconfig /release

Logs You Out Of Windows - logoff…..

Malicious Software Removal Tool - mrt

Microsoft Access (if installed) - access.cpl

Microsoft Chat - winchat

Microsoft Excel (if installed) - excel

Microsoft Frontpage (if installed)- frontpg

Microsoft Movie Maker - moviemk

Microsoft Paint - mspaint

Microsoft Word (if installed)- winword

Microsoft Powerpoint (if installed)- powerpnt

Minesweeper Game - winmine

Mouse Properties - control mouse

Mouse Properties - main.cpl

Nero (if installed)- nero

Net Meeting - conf

Network Connections - control netconnections

Network Connections - ncpa.cpl

Network Setup Wizard - netsetup.cpl

Notepad - notepad

Outlook Express - msimn

Password Properties - password.cpl

Performance Monitor - perfmon.msc

Phone and Modem Options - telephon.cpl

Phone Dialer - dialer

Pinball Game - pinball

Power Configuration - powercfg.cpl

Printers and Faxes - control printers

Printers Folder – printers

Registry Editor - regedit

Remote Desktop - mstsc

Removable Storage - ntmsmgr.msc

Scanners and Cameras - sticpl.cpl

Scheduled Tasks - control schedtasks

Security Center - wscui.cpl

Services - services.msc

Shared Folders - fsmgmt.msc

Shuts Down Windows - shutdown

Sounds and Audio - mmsys.cpl

Spider Solitare Card Game - spider

System Configuration Editor - sysedit

System Configuration Utility - msconfig

System File Checker Utility (Scan Immediately)- sfc /scannow

System File Checker Utility (Scan Once At Next Boot)- sfc /scanonce

System File Checker Utility (Scan On Every Boot) - sfc /scanboot

System File Checker Utility (Return to Default Setting)- sfc /revert

System File Checker Utility (Purge File Cache)- sfc /purgecache

System File Checker Utility (Set Cache Size to size x)-sfc/cachesize=x

System Information - msinfo32.

System Properties - sysdm.cpl

Task Manager – taskmgr

TCP Tester - tcptest

Telnet Client - telnet

User Account Management- nusrmgr.cpl

Utility Manager - utilman

Windows Address Book - wab

Windows Explorer - explorer

Windows Firewall- firewall.cpl

Windows Media Player - wmplayer

Windows Messenger - msmsgs

Windows Update Launches - wupdmgr

Windows Version (to show which version of windows)- winver

Windows XP Tour Wizard - tourstart

Wordpad - write

I like FF3 but FF2 has an extension I *really use alot* which seems will never get updated for FF3...

Hence, with a tiny bit of fiddling, you can use FF3 and FF2 concurrently.

http://www.troyrutter.com/2008/06/18/firefox-2-and-3-living-together-in-harmony.html

I use FF3 for most stuff, and then just jump into FF2 for when I need to use said extension

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Just a followup to my post above:

If you want to view all the possibilities of what you can run from the Start->Run command or if you want to add NEW commands, take a peek in your registry at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ App Paths

You'll see here a bunch of keys that are listed as "blahblah.EXE" and each of these keys contain a string entry named "Path" which point to the real path of the exe. The blahblah part is what Windows will recognize in the Start->Run command and will execute the command listed in the "Path".

Source

I like FF3 but FF2 has an extension I *really use alot* which seems will never get updated for FF3...

Hence, with a tiny bit of fiddling, you can use FF3 and FF2 concurrently.

http://www.troyrutter.com/2008/06/18/firefox-2-and-3-living-together-in-harmony.html

I use FF3 for most stuff, and then just jump into FF2 for when I need to use said extension

mtfbwya

with a lot of extensions you can open the extension's xpi file in in winrar or whatever then edit the install.rdf file to let it install on 3.x

with a lot of extensions you can open the extension's xpi file in in winrar or whatever then edit the install.rdf file to let it install on 3.x

A few have already done this. It will install, but wont really work anywhere near as effectively as the FF2 version.

It's one of the most requested extension updates for FF3. The extensions name is unplug(I mentioned it in first post) and there are some things it does that other video downloaders simply cant.

If you can get it fully working, then there's a beer, or a pretty dress coming your way ;) [/not sure about jmacs gender] :p

mtfbwya

Ever search for transparent gifs or pngs on Google and you find one that looks great against Google's white background only to find that later it has a white fringe when placed against a colored background?

You can determine that a little faster by first viewing just the image in your browser, and then pasting something like this into the address bar:

javascript:document.body.style.backgroundColor="#AA0000";void(0);

• 3 weeks later...

Update Sept 12, 2008

Current drivers:

Nvidia WHQL:

September/October 2008

175.19 (XP x86)

175.19 (Vista x86)

175.19 (Vista x64)

These would be the most common drivers for most of us to use, namely with the 6, 7, 8 and 9 series of GeForce cards, for others, see below...

If you have a 200-series card (GTX260/280), use this for Vista x86:

Check the site or ask if you need ones for XP or Vista x64.

If you have older >6100, FX/MX etc cards, it is suggested you read the release notes before downloading any current version. If you have a Non-Windows OS, please check nvidia.com, of course.

Courtesy Guru3d

September/October 2008

177.98 (XP x86)

177.98 (Vista x86)

177.98 (Vista x64)

13/8/2008:GeForce Power Pack

For nvidia series 8 or above only. This pack includes a selection of

*PhysX and CUDA enabled drivers v 177.92 (currently not in standard drivers)

*nvidias folding@home client \o/

*Games and tech demos. including an unreal tournament physX mod

ATI Catalyst WHQL

September/October 2008

Catalyst 8.8 (XP x86)

Catalyst 8.8 (Vista x86)

Catalyst 8.8 (Vista x64)

Vista Codec Pack

FFDshow, Xvid, DivX and common tools. Custom install allows you to select only bits you want.

>>HERE:

September/October 2008

4.7.3 (Final) VCP for Vista x86

1.5.2 (Final) x64 Components add-on for Vista x64 >>a must for x64 Users! (Install along with the standard VCP)

K-lite Codec Pack

September/October 2008

XP/2000/Vista > 4.1.7 standard, basic, full versions & releases notes >>HERE

September/October 2008

XP Codec Pack 2.4.2

Have fun!

May be something everyone knew, but I just stumbled across it yesterday.. :xp:

In Vista.. if you <Shift + Right-Click> in/on a folder, you'll have a new function option "Open Command Window Here". Pretty handy if you do alot of command line functions and don't want to create cmd.exe shortcuts in each folder you use them in (or too lazy to type out the path.. hehehe). :D

^^^

Discovered that one by pure accident.. so curious if there were more, I did a Google search and turned up these other shift + right-click options:

<Shift + Right-Click> on any file and you'll get 3 new options:

-Pin To Start Menu

-Add To Quick Launch

-Copy As Path

<Shift + Right-Click> on any Office document and you'll get a "Open As Read Only" option.

suh-weet since I'm a right-click junkie :lol:

if you enjoy R click powah...here's something you'd like then chainz....

copy and paste text below into a notepad .txt document. Rename whatever.txt to whatever.reg This should change filetype to a registry key. Double click to add to your registry. If successful, you will now get a ''take ownership'' option when you r.click a file. Handy for fiddling with system/locked files...

to ensure you have changed filetype correctly, ensure you have ''hide known filetypes'' OFF (in folder and search options)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

mtfbwya

great stuff re- indexing negsun :)

here's one for you ipod users... I dont use an ipod meself, but the gf has an old school shuffle she intermittently uses. She recently wanted some new crappy girly music added to it, so off I went a'googlin :p I wanted to avoid installing the bloaty itunes so tracked down this beauty... sharepod

500ish KB, runs as a standalone executable app(no installation reqd!) FREE. Nice little GUI. Did the trick ;)

mtfbwya

• 4 weeks later...

heres one for those using Vista... do you like an uncluttered desktop? Not only does it contribute to your sense of tidyness but having more "black" on your screen actually reduces the power consumption of your monitor(just like a screensaver) :)

Heres a cool vista sidebar gadget called sidelauncher that allows you to put all your apps shortcuts and folders into a nice neat launcher. It actually uses what in in the quick launch tray, but that tray, and desktop icons can subsequently be hidden.. all you get is this:

quite nifty[/iMO]

sidelaunch.jpg

Immediately below that is the multi sensor gadget. It works with the everest system utilties app to display key readings. Only allows 5 readings on there, though you can pick which 5. I find it great to monitor the impact of folding of my kit ;) It also means you can hide those garish everst icons from your system tray.

Heres what they look like on an overall deskie:

mmmm...power saving minimalism ;)

deskie.jpg

seeing power consumption has been mentioned, might as well mention Blackle. Its basically google search but will minimal colours/no white background, thereby saving just that little but of power each time you use it. The site has a 'watt hours saved' meter, which is quite cool to keep track of if you are into that type of stuff ;)

mtfbwya

Archived